JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
I once heard a pastor say that when Christianity began in the Middle East, it was a religion. When it came to Europe, it became a culture. When it arrived in the United States, it became an enterprise. Biblical "action figures" are just another example. :preach:
Butta bing butta boom.

Upvote 0

TheReasoner

Former christian, current teapot agnostic.
Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Okay, I wrote them and asked where and under what conditions the toys were produced, and if they were going to ship to Europe.

This is the response;

one2believe said:
Dear Vegar,

Thank you for your support and interest in our toy line. Our toys are manufacturer in China and currently we are not set up to ship to Europe.

Have a Blessed Day!

Marti Lott
www.one2believe.com
(888) 557-2327 ext. 116
The Battle for the Toybox begins August 1st!

I am glad we won't see this coming to our shores. But I am saddened to hear where they are produced. In all likelihood the toys are produced in conditions that are deplorable to the producers. I must question how a self-proclaimed Christian organization can create toys intended (according to them) to spread the good message, and provide a good alternative to conventional action figures while at the same time embrace production methods which in all likelihood are very damaging to the people who produce the toys

I must say I find it all quite hypocritical and quite sickening. More so that I know where they are produced.

So, I replied to them again:
faith guardian said:
Thank you for your reply.
I have questions regarding the ethics involved in production before I can show support. So I am afraid I must say that my questions were not intended as support, but inqueries as to whether or not such support would be valid.
It is my belief that it is imperative that we as Christians show love and stewardship in every aspect of our lives and businesses. Therefore it is very important to me as a Christian to ensure that I do not only live a life pleasing to the Lord in that I abstain from sin, but in that whatever I do be pleasing to Him. Including the goods I purchase.

I would be quite pleased should you provide evidence that your action figures are produced in an ethically conscious way - a way which spreads the gospel to the workers who also make the toys.
I hope you understand my desire to verify the origins of potential purchases.

Thank you once again for your reply.
God bless, and have a wonderful day!
-Vegar

So... We'll see what she writes in response to that.
(oh, and no... I wouldn't buy the toys, but.... Well, you need a dialogue and well, I am quite sure they probably want to do some good even if in my perception the whole thing is immoral and warped.)

Upvote 0

Morcova

Oct 30, 2006
✟10,470.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's sold at wal-mart of course it's made in china.

Let's see some Christians have now turned all of their holiest days into commercial successes and now they are making money off of their holy figures.

Somehow I sense some christians will blame an atheist for this.

Upvote 0

TheReasoner

Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It's sold at wal-mart of course it's made in china.

Let's see Christians have now turned all of their holiest days into commercial successes and now they are making money off of their holy figures.

Somehow I sense an atheist will be blamed for this.
Hm.
I don't seek to blame anyone
I am grieved by what Christmas has become. For some time it was a Christian holiday, now it is not. Now it's all about consumption.
It grieves me deeply what it has become.

Is it just me, or is there something vaguely appalling about commemorating the birth of the son of God (whose life on earth would inspire countless acts of compassion and benevolence) by drowning our offspring in disposable, media-hyped novelties assembled by disposable children forced to toil in slave-labor sweatshops; moreover, paying for the grisly merchandise with currency that embodies a perfectly amoral system of socio-economic exploitation, based on the wickedly devious lies of enlightened self-interest. Yet, somehow, the garish spectacle appears rational and even altruistic because we idiotically believe the psychotic ramblings of economists who are, ostensibly, the real deities of this shameless pretense for civilization. Oh well....... it's probably just me.

Upvote 0

Morcova

Oct 30, 2006
✟10,470.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hm.
I don't seek to blame anyone
I am grieved by what Christmas has become. For some time it was a Christian holiday, now it is not. Now it's all about consumption.
It grieves me deeply what it has become.
Argh, ok I edited my post, I didn't mean to give the impression that ALL christians would blame people for this..

Is it just me, or is there something vaguely appalling about commemorating the birth of the son of God (whose life on earth would inspire countless acts of compassion and benevolence) by drowning our offspring in disposable, media-hyped novelties assembled by disposable children forced to toil in slave-labor sweatshops; moreover, paying for the grisly merchandise with currency that embodies a perfectly amoral system of socio-economic exploitation, based on the wickedly devious lies of enlightened self-interest. Yet, somehow, the garish spectacle appears rational and even altruistic because we idiotically believe the psychotic ramblings of economists who are, ostensibly, the real deities of this shameless pretense for civilization. Oh well....... it's probably just me.
It's turning your religion into a novelty.

You should be insulted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dawnsday

Senior Veteran
Nov 19, 2004
STL, MO
✟18,344.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
So, they have these P31 dolls based on Proverbs 31. This is proverbs 31.

1 The sayings of King Lemuel—an oracle [a] his mother taught him:

2 "O my son, O son of my womb,
O son of my vows, [b]

3 do not spend your strength on women,
your vigor on those who ruin kings.

4 "It is not for kings, O Lemuel—
not for kings to drink wine,
not for rulers to crave beer,

5 lest they drink and forget what the law decrees,
and deprive all the oppressed of their rights.

6 Give beer to those who are perishing,
wine to those who are in anguish;

7 let them drink and forget their poverty
and remember their misery no more.

8 "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves,
for the rights of all who are destitute.

9 Speak up and judge fairly;
defend the rights of the poor and needy."
Epilogue: The Wife of Noble Character

10 [c] A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.

11 Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.

12 She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.

13 She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.

14 She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.

15 She gets up while it is still dark;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her servant girls.

16 She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.

17 She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.

18 She sees that her trading is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.

19 In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.

20 She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.

21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.

22 She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.

23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.

24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
and supplies the merchants with sashes.

25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.

26 She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.

27 She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.

28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:

29 "Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all."

30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
31 Give her the reward she has earned,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

This is the doll description:
P31 dolls are specifically designed to provide a Bible-based, Christian alternative to other secular toys on the market, and to encourage young girls to pursue biblical womanhood.

Abigail stands 18 inches tall, has beautiful brown eyes, long red hair, and a contemporary outfit. Abigail comes with an accessory kit, containing a Bible lesson (based on Proverbs 31:20), two cookie-cutters, a cookie recipe, and a list of exciting activities. The activities are sure to be tons of fun for any young girl! It is our prayer that the Lord would use these dolls as a means to encourage the girls of today to become Proverbs 31 women of tomorrow! For ages 3+

Sounds to me like they are just trying to cram little girls' minds with their personal perception of womanhood, as opposed to actually following Proverbs 31 which makes it clear that this woman can do pretty much anything, can support herself and has a good heart.

Upvote 0

TheReasoner

Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0