Dec 4, 2010
Paramount, Ca, USA
✟15,351.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
How do you 'walk in the Spirit?' :wave:

To “walk in the light (Spirit)” means you are displaying the behavior and joy of Jesus. It means you are sharing the nature of God.

That is something that is not normally easy or simple to do. For many believers it takes a concentrated effort every day. But, unfortunately for those people, it is only acting out a role.

Do you remember the “What Would Jesus Do” movement? It pretty much died out because it was basically carnal believers trying to act righteous. They would not always do what Jesus would do unless they could remember to ask that question. And they would often be too busy or too distracted to take the time to think about their next action or decision.

Acting like Jesus is something that must be turned on. It is a behavioral mode that is not natural for the carnal believer. It is something that will only be turned on when and where they want or need it.

It is possible for all of us to actually be like Jesus instead of acting like him some of the time. It is a place where the believer has grown in God to a point where he actually shares the nature of God. It is where he has received an incredible sweet wisdom that will allow him to always make godly decisions without even thinking about it.

God is not going to do that for you. It is your walk to walk, and if you sit and wait for God to change you, it will never happen. You must open the door for change. You must walk thru it yourself. And you must step outside of theology and into a spiritual realm.

If your desire is to walk in the light, you will never get there thru theology alone. It takes a pure spiritual relationship of total self-giving.

Truly walking in the light means you are so spiritually close to God that his nature, his joy are embedded in your soul and has totally consumed your person. You live to bless God and all mankind, and you do it without even thinking about it. It is almost like you are his extension on Earth.

Upvote 0

lilmissmontana

singing my hallelujah song
Feb 22, 2005
the wings of a snow white dove
✟153,558.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Lord, please keep my words and actions today in the Spirit ... help me today to touch people with Your precious love ... there is one who don't know if she believes in You ... and one doesn't believe Jesus is Your Son ... that He is someone that went around killing people :o ... I don't know people arrive to these lies, but I'll be walking among them today and pray You move me in the Spirit ... that I might make a difference to their souls ... I understand when we ealk wout of Spirit ... even if we speak truth, it can do damage ... in Your will and Jesus name ... Amen.

Upvote 0

James Wilson

Aug 13, 2011
Idaho
✟7,839.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Many of the responses in this thread have been passages from the Bible. I don't minimize that in any way. But like Paul experienced, "For what I will to do, that I do not practice". Romans 8:1 addresses this conundrum by promising "There is now no condemnation in Christ". But I often feel that I'm not giving my all to Christ... that I disappoint Him too much. Perhaps some of you have experienced this need for more power in your walk.

Madam Guyon gave advice three centuries ago in her marvelous book, "Experiencing the Depths of Jesus Christ" (and I'm paraphrasing because I could not find the exact quote), "Do not fight the sin in your life, for that only draws your attention to the temptation. Instead, move closer to Christ and dwell in Him, and the attraction of sin will disappear."

I highly recommend her book, but it's not a quick read. It's something that you should read slowly and meditatively over a couple of months. Then practice what you've learned. Then come back to it a year later to find out more to practice.

In His service,
James

Upvote 0

James Wilson

Aug 13, 2011
Idaho
✟7,839.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I just discovered Christian Forums about a week ago. I got wrapped up in debating Science, evolution and Creation with atheists. Boy, what an ongoing, tiring battle that is!

But it's a blessing too, that atheists are coming to us Christians and giving us an opportunity to shine our light on them. I got hung up in the beginning because it's like splashing water on a rock and waiting for the rock to wash away. Then I reminded myself that the Lord is on our side and we might not see the reward for our efforts until heaven. All the same, it's very draining work.

But then I discovered this thread. I spent most of today reading through several years of responses, and it's been good! Anointing for my tired soul.

Keep up the good work.

Upvote 0

lilmissmontana

Feb 22, 2005
✟153,558.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
love Him ...

1 Corinthians 8:3
Christian freedom and brotherly obligation

But if any man love God, the same is known of him.

love His Word ...

Psalm 119:140
IZADDI
the word is very pure

Thy word is very pure:
therefore thy servant loveth it.

love others ...

Matthew 19:18
Jesus and children

Honor thy father and thy mother:
and, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
B

Bridgit

I just discovered Christian Forums about a week ago. I got wrapped up in debating Science, evolution and Creation with atheists. Boy, what an ongoing, tiring battle that is!

But it's a blessing too, that atheists are coming to us Christians and giving us an opportunity to shine our light on them. I got hung up in the beginning because it's like splashing water on a rock and waiting for the rock to wash away. Then I reminded myself that the Lord is on our side and we might not see the reward for our efforts until heaven. All the same, it's very draining work.

But then I discovered this thread. I spent most of today reading through several years of responses, and it's been good! Anointing for my tired soul.

Keep up the good work.

LOL, yes indeed. I've done the same thing. After the battle, it's nice to come here, go to fellowshipping threads, and rest in His love.

Welcome aboard! :wave:

Upvote 0

Apr 16, 2011
USA
✟6,678.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
We walk in the spirit by letting the word of God directs our steps. Whatever the word say thats what we should do and not do. Thats how we walk in the spirit

That's what i thought. But i have been told that concentrating on not doing evil is the wrong motivation, and that it makes me an enemy of the cross if i concentrate on it. This teaching about not concentrating on abstaining from evil things leaves me a little confused because i thought we were supposed to concentrate on loving God with our heart, mind and soul, and loving our neighbor as our self and i also thought the apostles teach us to abstain from all appearances of evil. I mean, how can i love God with my heart mind and soul if i am not fighting against my carnal side that doesn't want to listen to God? And why do the apostles tell us to abstain from all appearances of evil if its the wrong thing to concentrate on?

Upvote 0

lilmissmontana

Feb 22, 2005
✟153,558.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
That's what i thought. But i have been told that concentrating on not doing evil is the wrong motivation, and that it makes me an enemy of the cross if i concentrate on it. This teaching about not concentrating on abstaining from evil things leaves me a little confused because i thought we were supposed to concentrate on loving God with our heart, mind and soul, and loving our neighbor as our self and i also thought the apostles teach us to abstain from all appearances of evil. I mean, how can i love God with my heart mind and soul if i am not fighting against my carnal side that doesn't want to listen to God? And why do the apostles tell us to abstain from all appearances of evil if its the wrong thing to concentrate on?

am sorry I didn't see this sooner ... I believe you will still see it if the Lord so desires ...

what I know to say is this ... if we make our time about learning what the Lord has to say from the Word ... and trying to just do our best for Him, but not beating ourself up for every little thing (He says is yoke is light and easy) ... well, that's a very good place to be ... then all the rest of those things eventually melt away into a firm, good understanding ... for sure we should not focus on the evil ... Satan would love it if we did that instead of keeping our focus on Jesus ... and that's the key to this ... you can't remove the carnal things from you ... Jesus does that ... so absolutely get your thoughts off evil ... and keep them on Jesus ...

what the apostles are telling us is to never leave the impression we condone or participate in anything that goes against being a Christian ...
it can cause another to stumble in their walk ... not good at all ...

so walk in the Spirit ... :) keeping time with the Lord ...

may the Lord bless you on the Way
lilmiss

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dustyf

Oct 12, 2011
Texas
Visit site
✟7,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To walk in the spirit, man's identity must change from being body-identified to being spirit-identified. By observation we see how we are a body which thinks and has emotions. The world has educated people about the why and how of this to the exclusion of the spirit man. Jesus is the example for how man was originally intended to live or walk, and we have now been recreated in Him. This is for the spirit man, male or female. We want to be like Jesus but need to consider the spirit man in terms of a BEING which is just like his Father. The perspective from which we operate daily must change, Paul said in Romans 12 this will happen by renewing the mind. Renewing will bring it into a place of serving the spirit man and no longer serving the flesh. When the spirit is served by a mind which no longer opposes His will, restored dominion will be the result in real terms, our experience. Herein is the promised rest and a stable peace when we realize His work has perfected the spirit and will overflow as fruit, Gal. 5.

There is a book on Amazon titled "Who is the End Time Church? Recognizing the Spirit Realm." Seeing man as spirit changes everything in a wonderful way.

Upvote 0
A

All4HISglory

quietbloke said:
How do you 'walk in the Spirit?' :wave:

Personally, walking in the spirit means for me to bring my flesh under the subjection of Gods authority.

In order for me to do that, I challenge my emotions, flesh, thoughts etc with the word of God. I choose Gods will over my own so that I walk in His will not my own.

Also, I'm always reminding myself to be mindful of the presence of God. It's about picking up your cross daily so that you can be conscious of God and follow after His Spirit in order not fulfill the lusts of the flesh.

~For Your glory Lord {iPad}

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Personally, walking in the spirit means for me to bring my flesh under the subjection of Gods authority.

In order for me to do that, I challenge my emotions, flesh, thoughts etc with the word of God. I choose Gods will over my own so that I walk in His will not my own.

Also, I'm always reminding myself to be mindful of the presence of God. It's about picking up your cross daily so that you can be conscious of God and follow after His Spirit in order not fulfill the lusts of the flesh.

~For Your glory Lord {iPad}

Actually, when Paul refers to the "flesh" in Romans, he is talking about his ability to keep the Law in his own strength. He puts his confidence in the work of the Spirit in him and has no confidence in the flesh. If he was successful in keeping the Law in the flesh, it would lead him to self righteousness.

So, if you are trying to better yourself morally, then you could be trying to be self righteous instead of resting in the righteousness of Christ. And that is not following the Spirit.

You can't do anything to help the Spirit do His sanctifying work in you. God changes you into the image of Christ. You don't change yourself.

Following the Spirit is doing the works of Jesus; following His commands. "Heal the sick, cast out demons, proclaim the kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

yourwealth

Jul 27, 2011
Jamaica
Visit site
✟15,125.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
You walk in the Spirit by living each day by the word of God. Eg if the bible says do not steal, you will become very much aware of your actions, and surrounding and deal with each situation that may arise according to the Word of God. Therefore to walk in the Spirit you must read the Bible regularly, fast and pray. And you MUST seek God for the Spirit of God, that is the Holy Ghost as the HOly GHost will help you to walk in the Spirit.

Upvote 0

toolite

Jul 1, 2008
Orlando, Florida
✟5,058.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In my view I would walking in spirit signifies a level of growth.. When God first takes you into spirit you are just a spectator then as you grow you are able to move or speak .. so to walk would signify to me a higher level of operating in the realm.

Glory To God

Upvote 0