Waitress fired, restaurant owner sorry after customers labeled 'black couple' on receipt

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So, you are saying the words 'black couple' is the same as what you mentioned? That's a bit of a stretch.

Why would those words be taken in a derogatory manner? I mean your chosen set certainly were, but that's not anywhere close to what was on the receipt.

Obviously I was going to an extreme to make a point--why describe them based on appearance? Why not just say "table 10"?

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't see what the big deal is. Is it worth getting someone fired, and the restaurant owner offering free meals to you so you can get on TV? I mean this isn't even a news story. Yet, it cost someone their job over nothing.

She said, 'I was angry. I was thinking, 'Really? Are we still doing this in 2015?' Doing what? What does even mean?

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Firing and an apology is fine, free meals and publicity are a bit much. I don't think the Asian man who went to a McDonald's in Britain got this treatment (a server had "changed" his last name to Ching Chong).

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't see what the big deal is. Is it worth getting someone fired, and the restaurant owner offering free meals to you so you can get on TV?

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't see anything in the story saying that the couple asked that the waitress be fired. Sounds like the owner did that on her own. I didn't see anything about the couple demanding free meals either. Again sounds like the owner did that on her own.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I know that witresses do sometimes need to identify people. However this waitress could have come up with a better designation for this couple. Would you want your bill to say something like "guy with rash" or "nose picker" or "man with hair growing out of his ears" or "bald as a cue ball" or "guy with a cold sore"?

What about being black is negative to you?

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My short term memory stinks I need a sticky for just about everything these days or I will forget. I would have probably chicken scratched the same thing on such a bill because of my own deficiency (in order to provide accurate service). I wouldnt think it was rude at all to write someones color down in order to make a quick mental note of who that ticket belongs to. How could this poor waitress have known these people would be offended at their own skin color?

Had she written, " this one belongs to the customer with dog breath" (or something along those lines) I could understand that better.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What about being black is negative to you?

I don't think that I said that being black is in any way negative. However, being identified as being black is.

Again, why didn't the waitress simply reference the table number? In the article the owner said that the tables were numbered.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SuperCloud

Sep 8, 2014
✟3,725.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Um... well weren't they a black couple? I get that servers need to differentiate customers, isn't firing her a touch extreme as a reaction?

He needs to protect his business.

I watched the video. The owner seems like a good man and one with a lot of weight on his shoulders running a restaurant. A competitive business.

Yeah, waitresses need to memorize the table numbers, and it's understandable new staff can forget or make mistakes (even longer termed staff can make mistakes). The "Black Couple" thing was a bit "odd-like." It might have raised an eyebrow of mine. But due to my personality, if no one was trying to be racist, I would have just taken it to be a little humorous, especially if the waitress was having a bit of a time at her job trying to keep up or remember things.

I think this black woman was blowing things a bit out of proportion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It seems like it's now "racist" to categorize black people, in any way, shape, or form.

I agree that the customer was was over the top on the tape. However, what if the waitress had written "Bald Man" or "Old Couple"? I can see those people getting a miffed as well.

Again, why did the waitress need to reference skin color? And, again, this all could have been avoided if the waitress had just referred the table number.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
I agree that the customer was was over the top on the tape. However, what if the waitress had written "Bald Man" or "Old Couple"? I can see those people getting a miffed as well.

Again, why did the waitress need to reference skin color? And, again, this all could have been avoided if the waitress had just referred the table number.
Is there something wrong with their skin color that it cannot be referenced?

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Is there something wrong with their skin color that it cannot be referenced?

I believe that I have alread answered this question. There is nothing wrong with being bald, but would you want your receipt to say "Bald Guy"? There is nothing wrong with being old, but would want your receipt to say "Old couple"? So why say "Black couple"? Again, why not just reference the table number. You keep ignoring that possibility.

Upvote 0

LyraJean

Mar 6, 2010
Florida
Visit site
✟8,900.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I get referenced as the short girl all the time. It's not offensive I am short. As long as it doesn't affect how I am being served why should it bother me that they made a notation that I am short or white for that matter. It's not like the waitress used a derogatory term and we all know which one I'm talking about too.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I get referenced as the short girl all the time. It's not offensive I am short. As long as it doesn't affect how I am being served why should it bother me that they made a notation that I am short or white for that matter. It's not like the waitress used a derogatory term and we all know which one I'm talking about too.

Perhaps that works for you. I had a student assistant one time who was 4'11"--she would be highly offended if she received a receipt that said "short girl".

Agaiun, the tables were numbered. Why not just reference the table number. That isn't a difficult concept.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
In that case every server in that restaurant should get fired if they use something other than the table numbers because you never know what will offend someone. You know until the table numbers are also offensive.
From what the manager said in the interview that would be a violation of his orders so yes he would be justified in firing a waiter/waitress for doing that.

Exactly what table number would someone find offensive? Please!

Upvote 0

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
What a load of false indignation over nothing. I tried putting myself in the woman's shoes. What if me and my partner, who were a minority in the restaurant, were referenced on the receipt as 'white'? Would I care one iota? And the answer, I have to say, is an emphatic 'no'. I wouldn't care. I am white, and if I was the only white person in the restaurant, it's reasonable to remember me in such a way.

Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0