Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The number of the beast's name comes from the fact that gematra is not used, but that the Romans used letters for numbers. So you can count the number of his name by getting rid of the letters that aren't used for numbers. In the Latin numbering system, the letters I, V, X, L, C, D, and U are used as numbers. (I=1, V=5, X=10, L=50, C=100, D=500, and U=5, as shown as a V also.)

V I C A R I U S F I L I I D E I

Now eliminate the non-numerical letters:

V I C I U I L I I D I

5 + 1 + 100 + 1 + 5 (112) 1 + 50 + 1 + 1 (53) 500 + 1 (501)

Added together, these equal 666.

Another shining instance of typical anti-Vatican Catholicism based on false premises...

The title is Vicar of Christ, not Vicar of the Son of God.

Now that you've judged your brother falsely, be ready least you reconcile.

Upvote 0

Barraco

Jun 24, 2004
Minot, ND
Visit site
✟24,283.00
Faith
Christian
Jipsah said:
That isn't anyone's name (far as I know, anyway), nor is it a title used by anyone, including the Pope. Looks like it was thunk up specifically to work out to 666 using the method you showed.

It was mentioned in the late 8th century through commentary on the Donation of Constantine. Later it became labeled on the Papal tiara that, by the time Pope Paul VI retired it, was a triple crown tiara, with Vicarius on one level, Filii on the middle, and Dei on the lowest. Pope Innocent III wore the tiara and Pope Gregory XVI was said to have worn it.

Upvote 0

Barraco

Jun 24, 2004
Minot, ND
Visit site
✟24,283.00
Faith
Christian
PaladinValer said:
Another shining instance of typical anti-Vatican Catholicism based on false premises...

The title is Vicar of Christ, not Vicar of the Son of God.

Now that you've judged your brother falsely, be ready least you reconcile.

I haven't passed judgment. Find an instance in history where the things I discussed did not happen.

For example, did you know that, in the tenth century, the kings chose which bishops would hold church offices, including the popes. Church was basically a business and an electoral guarantee.

I am not judging Catholics. I'm bringing up Church history and mainly out of historicist eschatology. I'm not going to avoid that, otherwise I would have to say that all the injustices, oppressions, and evils done to those who loved the truth didn't get a response from God because he was saving it for a seven year period.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I haven't passed judgment. Find an instance in history where the things I discussed did not happen.

Honestly...really?

For example, did you know that, in the tenth century, the kings chose which bishops would hold church offices, including the popes. Church was basically a business and an electoral guarantee.

Sir, I am a historian; don't quote me history.

The Church was not a business. It is true that civil authorities had the privilege to select certain hierarchs, but that was a check on the authority of the Pope (one many didn't like). Take Henry VIII's selection of Cramner for example. However, all clergy were under the authority of the local ecclesiastical jurisdiction. Furthermore, civil rulers had always had a duty to help maintain the Church's integrity...it was the Emperor who called for the First Ecumenical Council, and the Church was quite thankful for it.

If you don't quite get the major crux of it yet, I'll spell it out: the laity have voice and power. That is why my own Anglican Church is the way it is; the laity has real representation, even though our church is traditional in its episcopal structure and polity. The Emperor from the above example saw the problems occurring in the Church and called for it to put debates to a final conclusion. That's real power of the laity; he had no formal orders and it even turned out that he had certain sympathies for the loosing side, but nonetheless, the Church owes him a debt of gratitude and in the East, he is still referred as Saint Constantine for his role.

I am not judging Catholics. I'm bringing up Church history and mainly out of historicist eschatology.

<snip>

Answer the questions truthfully:

True or false: the title for the Pope is Vicar of Christ?
True or false: your evidence gives a different title unused by the Vatican Catholic Church.

That is what it boils down to. Don't try to cover up a clever scheme with morality; Montanism and Donatism are both heresies; the state of sin a cleric is in does not negate the actual office the cleric is in. Otherwise, no one could be a cleric under both Apostolic and Protestant understanding.

Reactions: Simon Belmont
Upvote 0

Tzaousios

Αυγουστινιανικός Χριστιανός
Dec 4, 2008
Comitatus in praesenti
Visit site
✟26,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What was cleverly NOT mentioned in your mere "recounting" of history were the measures that were taken to stop simony and the practice of lat investiture. Why did those things not make it into your recounting?

Upvote 0

Barraco

Jun 24, 2004
Minot, ND
Visit site
✟24,283.00
Faith
Christian
PaladinValer said:
Honestly...really?

Sir, I am a historian; don't quote me history.

The Church was not a business. It is true that civil authorities had the privilege to select certain hierarchs, but that was a check on the authority of the Pope (one many didn't like). Take Henry VIII's selection of Cramner for example. However, all clergy were under the authority of the local ecclesiastical jurisdiction. Furthermore, civil rulers had always had a duty to help maintain the Church's integrity...it was the Emperor who called for the First Ecumenical Council, and the Church was quite thankful for it.

It was a check, however it was a claim that kings had a divine right. And it became a lucrative business to sell church offices. Wealthy aristicrats wanted the offices to increase their influence. In the 900's, a single family influenced the election of several offices, even which John XII inherited from his father. Liudprand of Cremona gave an account of his Papacy. This was the same John XII that crowned Otto I as emperor in exchange for Otto's support that John XII be recognized as the only pope. The papacy was run in such an immoral fashion in those days that that time was called the Rule of the Harlots. This period in time is what also sparked the Investiture Controversy. If the kings were not whoring out church offices to immoral aristocrats, then I imagine Hilderbrand would have had nothing to complain about nor call for reform.

If you don't quite get the major crux of it yet, I'll spell it out: the laity have voice and power. That is why my own Anglican Church is the way it is; the laity has real representation, even though our church is traditional in its episcopal structure and polity. The Emperor from the above example saw the problems occurring in the Church and called for it to put debates to a final conclusion. That's real power of the laity; he had no formal orders and it even turned out that he had certain sympathies for the loosing side, but nonetheless, the Church owes him a debt of gratitude and in the East, he is still referred as Saint Constantine for his role.

I'm not objecting to the power of the layman. I'm objecting to the political interference between church and state, which is why the community I attend is the way it is. Politics is a dirty job, such that it killed the prophets and saints. What benefit is it, then, that politicians rule the Church? What role did Domitian have in the selection of Church elders when John was on Patmos?

Answer the questions truthfully:

True or false: the title for the Pope is Vicar of Christ?
True or false: your evidence gives a different title unused by the Vatican Catholic Church.

False. Review the Corpus Iuris Canonici, which was officially sanctioned in 1580 and quoted the forgery known as the Donation of Constantine, which was used primarily to split the iconoclastic Western Church from Byzantine influence by investing powers in the Roman bishop to coronate kings (thereby creating another emperor that was not elected by the Byzantines.) The Corpus luris Canonici calls the title Vicarius Filii Dei.

The April 18, 1915 Catholic journal article called Our Sunday Visitor explained that the words on the papal tiara were Vicarius Filii Dei, which means Representative of the Son of God. So, while many popes claimed the title Vicar of Christ, the title Vicar of the Son of God, which is only a semantical deviation frim the former, was also used. Of course, the author retracted his statements about the crown's description in 1922.

If it was never used then why is there evidence from even over 400 years ago?

That is what it boils down to. Don't try to cover up a clever scheme with morality; Montanism and Donatism are both heresies; the state of sin a cleric is in does not negate the actual office the cleric is in. Otherwise, no one could be a cleric under both Apostolic and Protestant understanding.

I can't argue about the Monatists, but Cyprian seemed to be under the impression that the state of sin (especially heresy) does negate his office. I don't hold extreme views, but it does seem that apostasy was a big concern to the early Church, since the entire New Testament was written to encourage faith for Christians who were being pressured to abandon their witness. However, my argument is that the office of pope was subjected to immorality and the measures to check that put the bishops above the temporal law ans spiritual checks and balances.

Upvote 0

Barraco

Jun 24, 2004
Minot, ND
Visit site
✟24,283.00
Faith
Christian
Tzaousios said:
What was cleverly NOT mentioned in your mere "recounting" of history were the measures that were taken to stop simony and the practice of lat investiture. Why did those things not make it into your recounting?

I covereded them in my response, which you can check. The measures to check the Invesiture Controversy drew from forgeries that were later used to support Pope Innocent III in separating the Church of Rome from temporal legislation completely. What came about from his reforms were the elevation of Canon Law, the persecution of the Waldenses and the followers of Wycliffe and many others. The Inquisition then became a representative of the Papacy to try, convict, and punish heretics, reformers, and anyone else whose life did not mirror the Canon Law. The height of the Papacy is covered in blood that it had shed to keep its power an primacy.

There is a reason why Jesus said that there would come false christs that would mislead many, even the elect if it were possible. Rev. 13 says that the whole world would follow after the beast, all whose names were not written in the book of life (elect.) You really don't think Jesus stopped ruling when he ascended to heaven, do you? Actually, in Matthew 28:18, Jesus stated that he had authority in heaven AND ON EARTH, which means that Jesus needs no representative to rule the world while He is in heaven. Rev. 5-6 confirms this argument. But it was Pope Innocent III's and the Donation of Constantine's argument that the bishop of Rome ruled on earth (represented by the double crown tiara) while Christ was in heaven.

It took such claims to discredit the Byzantines and to end the Investiture Controversy. It appears to me, after considering the Scriptures and the authority of Christ in making all nations his footstool, that such claims of the pope as to be the representative of Christ (in terns of temporal and spiritual authority) and that of papal infallibility (proclaimed by Pope Pius IX at the First Vatican Council in 1869-1870.)

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It was a check, however it was a claim that kings had a divine right. And it became a lucrative business to sell church offices.

...:yawn:

Wealthy aristicrats wanted the offices to increase their influence. In the 900's, a single family influenced the election of several offices, even which John XII inherited from his father. Liudprand of Cremona gave an account of his Papacy. This was the same John XII that crowned Otto I as emperor in exchange for Otto's support that John XII be recognized as the only pope. The papacy was run in such an immoral fashion in those days that that time was called the Rule of the Harlots.

The papacy was corrupt. So what? The Vatican got rid of that tripe with Trent. Get over it.

I'm not objecting to the power of the layman. I'm objecting to the political interference between church and state, which is why the community I attend is the way it is. Politics is a dirty job, such that it killed the prophets and saints. What benefit is it, then, that politicians rule the Church? What role did Domitian have in the selection of Church elders when John was on Patmos?

As the State didn't have a role until Constantine, your objection is invalid.

False. Review the Corpus Iuris Canonici, which was officially sanctioned in 1580 and quoted the forgery known as the Donation of Constantine, which was used primarily to split the iconoclastic Western Church from Byzantine influence by investing powers in the Roman bishop to coronate kings (thereby creating another emperor that was not elected by the Byzantines.) The Corpus luris Canonici calls the title Vicarius Filii Dei.

The April 18, 1915 Catholic journal article called Our Sunday Visitor explained that the words on the papal tiara were Vicarius Filii Dei, which means Representative of the Son of God. So, while many popes claimed the title Vicar of Christ, the title Vicar of the Son of God, which is only a semantical deviation frim the former, was also used. Of course, the author retracted his statements about the crown's description in 1922.

If it was never used then why is there evidence from even over 400 years ago?

The problem is, since the Donation of Constantine is a forgery (which the Vatican admits today), then it never was true to begin with then, is it?

Therefore, since its use finds itself first in the Donation, therefore, it is invalid.

Thanks for proving yourself wrong for me. Now please apologize to the Vatican Catholic Church and its members for spreading lies.

I can't argue about the Monatists, but Cyprian seemed to be under the impression that the state of sin (especially heresy) does negate his office. I don't hold extreme views, but it does seem that apostasy was a big concern to the early Church, since the entire New Testament was written to encourage faith for Christians who were being pressured to abandon their witness. However, my argument is that the office of pope was subjected to immorality and the measures to check that put the bishops above the temporal law ans spiritual checks and balances.

Except such views were declared to be heretical in the end by either universal acclaim or Ecumenical Council.

Furthermore, a person is not the office; the office is the office. Just because one pope is corrupt doesn't mean the entire papacy is. Did it lead to corruption? Yes, but it wasn't originally so.

My objection to it isn't based on some ridiculous renaissance-age spat long since corrected; my objection to the papacy is based on simple matter of history. Just because many popes were corrupt doesn't mean the office of the Bishop of Rome is.

Also...VICarIVs fILII DeI would be:

VI=6
C=100
IV=4
I=1
L=50
II=2
D=500
I=1

In Latin, it is VicarivsFilii Dei...no u's. Also, IV is always 4.

Once again, language wins over nonsense theology.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Barraco

Jun 24, 2004
Minot, ND
Visit site
✟24,283.00
Faith
Christian
PaladinValer said:

The papacy was corrupt. So what? The Vatican got rid of that tripe with Trent. Get over it.

The problem is, since the Donation of Constantine is a forgery (which the Vatican admits today), then it never was true to begin with then, is it?

Therefore, since its use finds itself first in the Donation, therefore, it is invalid.

Thanks for proving yourself wrong for me. Now please apologize to the Vatican Catholic Church and its members for spreading lies.

Except such views were declared to be heretical in the end by either universal acclaim or Ecumenical Council.

Furthermore, a person is not the office; the office is the office. Just because one pope is corrupt doesn't mean the entire papacy is. Did it lead to corruption? Yes, but it wasn't originally so.

My objection to it isn't based on some ridiculous renaissance-age spat long since corrected; my objection to the papacy is based on simple matter of history. Just because many popes were corrupt doesn't mean the office of the Bishop of Rome is.

VI=6
C=100
IV=4
I=1
L=50
II=2
D=500
I=1

I feel like I'm being bated into an argument. I'll get back to you in a bit and will have words that aren't defensive or aggressive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PaladinValer

Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I feel like I'm being bated into an argument. I'll get back to you in a bit and will have words that aren't defensive or aggressive.

As expected; when presented with a counter, those who are wrong never admit it...especially given the fact that the Latin is proof positive.

Upvote 0

Barraco

Jun 24, 2004
Minot, ND
Visit site
✟24,283.00
Faith
Christian
PaladinValer said:
As expected; when presented with a counter, those who are wrong never admit it...especially given the fact that the Latin is proof positive.

I'll respond, but only when I get to a computer. I went for a walk with my wife and now I'm cooking dinner.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
If the beast has the absolute number of 666, then who or what is 665, 664, 663, etc.?

St. John is using the number as code. The man identified as the Beast in the Revelation has the name that is numerically valued as six hundred and sixty-six.

The number itself has no special or esoteric meaning itself, it's only meaning is as a numerical value for the name of the Beast.

The most obvious choice being Nero, who was the first to actively persecute the Church and whose return was feared and legendary. Check out the Nero Redivivus legend.

Thus the Beast is associated with the violent and oppressive power of the Roman emperor. This is amplified by St. John's description of Babylon the harlot representing the seat of Roman power (the City of Rome itself) which rests upon seven hills, drunk on the blood of martyrs. Babylon itself was common code language for Rome (see 1 Peter 5:13).

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Barraco

Jun 24, 2004
Minot, ND
Visit site
✟24,283.00
Faith
Christian

So what? Lets list:

1) Crusades

2) Inquisitions

3) False Doctrines

And much more. And I'm noting here that you're saying that the papacy was corrupt.

I was pointing out that Domitian had nothing to do with the election of the popes or any church office. So, no, my objection is not invalid. The Church had no place ruling kings and the kings had no place bringing their politics into the Church.

Because of this political struggle, millions of people have been carried away into committing unholy and unloving acts that were not characteristic of Jesus or his disciple Peter. They killed in the name of God, purchased salvation offered by priests, covered up sexual abuses, abused their power in the Inquisition, and much more (to include rounding up the Jews into the slums of Rome and handing them over to Hitler.) I can't tell any person about the goodness of the Church without them throwing these things back in my face.

Jesus said it clearly, "You'll know them by their fruits." The Vatican did not bear very good fruit. It has had to admit its mistakes. My purpose in posting the Vicarius Filii Dei was not to bash Catholics. It was to point back in time and show the fulfillment of prophecy.

The point isn't whether or not it was true to begin with. The point is whether or not the title Vicarius Filii Dei was used by the popes, which it was.
Then the popes used an invalid title. It made their claims, which derived from the forgery, invalid as well. That means that there was a long succession in history in which their entire papacies were invalid. That, of course, is going by your state logic on the subject.
Interesting. You're asking me to apologize to the Vatican Catholic Church, and not the Roman Catholic Church. I will not apologize to an entity whose claims of primacy come from forgeries (and a long tradition of using those claims) and whose influence had made the world mad with her lust for authority, primacy, and glory. I will not apologize. I will instead quote John Foxe from his book of Martyrs:

"In our fortunate country (England), the power of the Romish church has so long perished, that we find some difficulty in conceiving the nature, and still more in believing the tyranny of its dominion. The influence of the monks and the murders of the Inquisition have passed into a nursery tale; and we turn with a generous, yet rash and most unjustifiable scepticism from the history of the Romish authority.

..."It (Romish Church) might have spread literature, peace, freedom, and christianity to the ends of Europe, or the world. But its nature was hostile; its fuller triumph only disclosed its fuller evil; and, to the shame of human reason, and the terror and suffering of human virtue, Rome, in the hour of its consummate grandeur, teemed with the monstrous and horrid birth of the INQUISITION!"

That saints and witnesses reside in Rome is beyond doubt. But I think the Lord is calling them out so that they don't share in her judgments:

“‘Come out of her, my people,’ so that you will not share in her sins,
so that you will not receive any of her plagues; for her sins are piled up to heaven, and God has remembered her crimes. Give back to her as she has given; pay her back double for what she has done. Pour her a double portion from her own cup. Give her as much torment and grief as the glory and luxury she gave herself. In her heart she boasts, ‘I sit enthroned as queen. I am not a widow;I will never mourn.’ Therefore in one day her plagues will overtake her: death, mourning and famine. She will be consumed by fire, for mighty is the Lord God who judges her."

Was it declared heretical to deny apostates the priesthood or the communion? I recall it being the latter.

You just told me the papacy was corrupt. Now you're telling me that one person was corrupt. The tradition is corrupt, the teachings are corrupt, the claims are corrupt. The whole system is corrupt.

I agree. But, as I said, my claims aren't to discredit. They are to point toward the fulfillment of prophecy. Even many Roman Catholics believe that this papacy will not last long and that, according to the third letter of Fatima, there will come a time when Rome will be conquered and the pope will leave the Vatican by stepping over dead bodies, being lead to his place of execution. The prophecies of St. Malachy point toward the destruction of Rome during the reign of the pope after Pope Benedict XVI. And Revelation 13's time restraint on the dominion of the pope was given 42 months, which are prophetic years equaling 1260 years. From 756, when the pope received the Papal States to rule until 2016, when the time ends. All these times, though too spectacular to even believe, line up very close and obviously. I don't count reputation, nor to I count tradition. I count the fruits, and the Vatican has more bad apples than good.

VI=6
C=100
IV=4
I=1
L=50
II=2
D=500
I=1

Perhaps, but even Catholics admit that it adds up to 666. Below is a quote from the Catholic Encyclopedia at CATHOLIC LIBRARY: Quick Questions (1992)

"Let's consider this accusation. Latin, Greek, and Hebrew have numerical values assigned to various letters in their alphabets. In Latin the values are: I=1, V=5, X=10, L=50, C=100, D=500, M=1,000. By extension W=10 (because W=VV, or two Vs together), and U=V (because there was no letter U for the Romans; where you see the letter U in modern writing, use the letter V instead). As you can work out for yourself, Vicarius Filii Dei does add up to 666 in Latin: Vicarius=112; Filii=53, Dei=501. (Ignore letters which are not assigned a numerical value.) The problem is that Vicarius Filii Dei is not a title of the pope. One of his titles, in fact his chief title, is Vicarius Christi (Vicar of Christ), but, unfortunately for Seventh-Day Adventists and other anti-Catholics who attempt to use this ploy, Vicarius Christi adds up to only a measly 214, not the infernal 666"

Here, the author does not deny that the numbers add up to 666, but sticks with your original argument that the title was never used. As I showed, the title was used and originated from a forgery that many (not one) popes used to support their claims for both papal primacy to combat Byzantine influence and to end simony and the Investiture Controversy. In its struggle to become the prime and supreme authority over the Catholic Church and over the Catholic kings, Rome had committed many appalling deeds, such as have already been mentioned.

Rome has a lot to answer for. But that is the crux of the matter, and it shows in the increase of people leaving the Catholic church. Rome must never admit its faults. When it does, then it must counter the claims and bulls assigned to other popes (which would claim them as antipopes), which would be hard to do since some of the popes have already been canonized and some saints. Furthermore, it would divide the Catholic Church, which is supposed to be impossible (since Catholic means universal.)

Now, you went after me from the get go when I was merely presenting the possibility of the counting of Vicarius Filii Dei. I never said I was completely arriving to that conclusion. I would like a respectful discussion with you, but I won't participate in baiting, slandering, or playing the victim of anti-(whatever.) We have historical facts and much commentary on those events. Let them speak more loudly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tzaousios

Dec 4, 2008
Comitatus in praesenti
Visit site
✟26,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I covereded them in my response, which you can check. The measures to check the Invesiture Controversy drew from forgeries that were later used to support Pope Innocent III in separating the Church of Rome from temporal legislation completely. What came about from his reforms were the elevation of Canon Law, the persecution of the Waldenses and the followers of Wycliffe and many others. The Inquisition then became a representative of the Papacy to try, convict, and punish heretics, reformers, and anyone else whose life did not mirror the Canon Law. The height of the Papacy is covered in blood that it had shed to keep its power an primacy.

I do not see how this is "covering" anything of the sort. Rather, it constitutes more of an anachronstic commentary on the history which demands that the medieval Church look forward into time and adopt a 21st-century mindset towards doctrinal tolerance.

In other words, the medieval Church should have conceded to your proto-Protestants and allowed them to set up a church in opposition without any protest.

It seems to me this is just typical anti-Catholicism dressed up in a little bit of "history" to deflect from its ultimate purpose. Are you a fan of the Trail of Blood?

Barraco said:
There is a reason why Jesus said that there would come false christs that would mislead many, even the elect if it were possible. Rev. 13 says that the whole world would follow after the beast, all whose names were not written in the book of life (elect.) You really don't think Jesus stopped ruling when he ascended to heaven, do you? Actually, in Matthew 28:18, Jesus stated that he had authority in heaven AND ON EARTH, which means that Jesus needs no representative to rule the world while He is in heaven. Rev. 5-6 confirms this argument.

Nah. All this is is an attempt at the self-justification of your chosen position against Catholicism with a couple Bible passages tacked on.

Barraco said:
But it was Pope Innocent III's and the Donation of Constantine's argument that the bishop of Rome ruled on earth (represented by the double crown tiara) while Christ was in heaven.

The assertion of the bishop of Rome of his pre-eminence was happening long before Innocent III or the Donation of Constantine came on the scene.

Barraco said:
It took such claims to discredit the Byzantines and to end the Investiture Controversy. It appears to me, after considering the Scriptures and the authority of Christ in making all nations his footstool, that such claims of the pope as to be the representative of Christ (in terns of temporal and spiritual authority) and that of papal infallibility (proclaimed by Pope Pius IX at the First Vatican Council in 1869-1870.)

How does setting up the Byzantines as the victims help your argument any? According to the doctrines and practice of Byzantine Christianity, there is no way that they could possibly be grandfathered into the ranks of your proto-Protestants.

Upvote 0

Tzaousios

Dec 4, 2008
Comitatus in praesenti
Visit site
✟26,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So what? Lets list:

1) Crusades

2) Inquisitions

3) False Doctrines

And much more. And I'm noting here that you're saying that the papacy was corrupt.

1) I would like to see you chastize many of your Protestant brethren who consider the Crusades to be a good thing because they were an attempt to keep Muslims out of Western Europe and take back the Holy Land (initially) for the Byzantines. Somehow I think you would be singing a different tune now if you were in a condition of dhimmitude.

2) Also, what about the systematic rounding up of Catholic clergy and laymen during the Peasants' Revolt in Germany? Hundreds of thousands were killed and their churches raised to the ground all because they liked the opinion of the Radical Reformers concerning the denial of the Real Presence in the Eucharist and destruction of religious images. It is ironic that most Protestant denominations take after the Radical Reformers than the magesterial ones.

3) "False Doctrines" - what do you hope to accomplish by setting up such a broad, nebulous category as this? A comparable one could be set up called "False Opinions and Interpretations."

Barraco said:
I was pointing out that Domitian had nothing to do with the election of the popes or any church office. So, no, my objection is not invalid. The Church had no place ruling kings and the kings had no place bringing their politics into the Church.

I guess the prophets commanding and judging the Israelite kings do not count here for some suspicious reason? The fact that Biship Ambrose fulfilled much the same role against Theodosius is somehow discounted because Ambrose was "Catholic" and the prophets were not.

Barraco said:
Because of this political struggle, millions of people have been carried away into committing unholy and unloving acts that were not characteristic of Jesus or his disciple Peter. They killed in the name of God, purchased salvation offered by priests, covered up sexual abuses, abused their power in the Inquisition, and much more (to include rounding up the Jews into the slums of Rome and handing them over to Hitler.) I can't tell any person about the goodness of the Church without them throwing these things back in my face.

Argumentum ad Hitlerum, i.e. the Nazification of one's opponents for effect

Barraco said:
Interesting. You're asking me to apologize to the Vatican Catholic Church, and not the Roman Catholic Church. I will not apologize to an entity whose claims of primacy come from forgeries (and a long tradition of using those claims) and whose influence had made the world mad with her lust for authority, primacy, and glory. I will not apologize. I will instead quote John Foxe from his book of Martyrs:

Foxe's Book of Martyrs, now there is an unbiased source that should always be whipped out in a discussion of the legitimacy of Catholicism! :doh:

Barraco said:
Rome has a lot to answer for. But that is the crux of the matter, and it shows in the increase of people leaving the Catholic church. Rome must never admit its faults. When it does, then it must counter the claims and bulls assigned to other popes (which would claim them as antipopes), which would be hard to do since some of the popes have already been canonized and some saints. Furthermore, it would divide the Catholic Church, which is supposed to be impossible (since Catholic means universal.)

What about the large number of people that are leaving the embarrassing therepeutic deism, pop-culture loving, sacrament denying, and ahistoricism of modern Evangelical Christianity for Eastern Orthodoxy? What do you have to say to them?

Upvote 0

Barraco

Jun 24, 2004
Minot, ND
Visit site
✟24,283.00
Faith
Christian
I do not see how this is "covering" anything of the sort. Rather, it constitutes more of an anachronstic commentary on the history which demands that the medieval Church look forward into time and adopt a 21st-century mindset towards doctrinal tolerance.

In other words, the medieval Church should have conceded to your proto-Protestants and allowed them to set up a church in opposition without any protest.

Not really. I'm not very ethnocentric. I get that the Europeans, including those within the Church of Rome, were ancestors of the Barbarians and that times were extremely difficult during those times. However, that does not make prophecy illegitimate. John was receiving a vision to pass on to the seven churches to warn them of a time when most of the world (legitimately, the Christian world) would follow after this blasphemous kingdom of the papacy (Revelation 13:8). Revelation 17:2 says that Rome would commit sexual immorality (prostitution, allegorical from political prostitution; see Rahab in Joshua 6) with the kings of the earth and because of that, would lead the inhabitants of the earth to be drunk with the wine of her adulteries (the blood of the saints and witnesses; see Rev. 17:6.) Pagan Rome did not commit immorality with the kings of the earth. She did not do them favors. She ruled them with an iron fist. That highlights the fact that Mystery Babylon, who was most evidently Rome, was a mystery to John in Revelation 17:5, 7. This Rome that John was seeing was a future Rome, and he was amazed at her because it was the Church he was seeing, and she was drunk with the blood of the saints. This was fulfilled prophecy and it was prewritten to the seven Churches so that the future churches would not participate in Rome's debauchery, political intrigue, crusades, inquisitions, and many other abominations; so that they would not share in her judgment (Rev. 18:4-8.)

It seems to me this is just typical anti-Catholicism dressed up in a little bit of "history" to deflect from its ultimate purpose. Are you a fan of the Trail of Blood?
Never heard of it. I'm not anti-Catholic. If it were not for Rome and her traditions, I would probably be among the Catholics today. Since they yield to Rome, whom approves of praying to Mary rather than Jesus, I cannot do so with adherence to my conscience.

Nah. All this is is an attempt at the self-justification of your chosen position against Catholicism with a couple Bible passages tacked on.

Again, I'm not anti-Catholic. I believe that Rome is going to go through some serious tribulation soon and I don't want Catholics to share in that. Jesus had warned his disciples not to participate in the Jewish revolt against Rome. He said that Jerusalem was marked for judgment to avenge the blood of every righteous person from Abel to Zecharias son of Berachiah. So, when the Jews revolted, the Christians (whom were Jews) refused to participate in the nationalistic uprising, but instead fled the country to reside among the Gentiles. They did not share in Jerusalems gruesome siege or devastating destruction. In Revelation 18, Jesus is calling his people (evidently the Catholics) out of Rome, to not share in her plagues. If what I'm saying is true, then it should be taken seriously and examine. The Jews thought that Jerusalem and its temple would never be taken because of their traditions, customs, Law, and because of Abraham's covenant with God. The Jews of the first century are a reminder to us to not let a city, flag, tradition, or religion keep us seeing and worshiping God in Spirit and in truth.

The assertion of the bishop of Rome of his pre-eminence was happening long before Innocent III or the Donation of Constantine came on the scene.

Really? Can you provide an example please? (One not used toward dismissing the Byzantines or overcoming investiture.)

How does setting up the Byzantines as the victims help your argument any? According to the doctrines and practice of Byzantine Christianity, there is no way that they could possibly be grandfathered into the ranks of your proto-Protestants.
I wasn't defending the Byzantines or the Protestants. The Byzantines worshiped objects. The Protestants came from Rome. As Revelation 17:5 shows, Rome is the mother of prostitutes. (That was, after all, the argument that the Church of Rome used in dismissing the Adventist accusations; by saying that the Protestants are a mirror of the Church of Rome, even in the aspect that their services are similar and they attend church on Sundays. [I am not an Adventist, by the way.])

Upvote 0

Tzaousios

Dec 4, 2008
Comitatus in praesenti
Visit site
✟26,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I get that the Europeans, including those within the Church of Rome, were ancestors of the Barbarians and that times were extremely difficult during those times. However, that does not make prophecy illegitimate.

That is a very generalized statement that you made about the history. I am not sure what you meant to dispute by saying the times were "extremely difficult."

No, it does not make prophecy illegimitate, but it does indeed call into question your particular interpretation of prophecy and the ways in which you try to make medieval history fit it.

Barraco said:
Pagan Rome did not commit immorality with the kings of the earth. She did not do them favors. She ruled them with an iron fist.

Yeah, what of it? Rome was in a long line of kingdoms and rulers to rule other nations with an iron fist. Just because one hates Roman Catholicism does not mean that a prooftext speaks about a specific era of Roman history. It can be made to appear to be such, but most people who know their history will recognize it as an artificial attempt at making it fit one's eschatological presuppositions.

Barraco said:
That highlights the fact that Mystery Babylon, who was most evidently Rome, was a mystery to John in Revelation 17:5, 7. This Rome that John was seeing was a future Rome, and he was amazed at her because it was the Church he was seeing, and she was drunk with the blood of the saints. This was fulfilled prophecy and it was prewritten to the seven Churches so that the future churches would not participate in Rome's debauchery, political intrigue, crusades, inquisitions, and many other abominations; so that they would not share in her judgment (Rev. 18:4-8.)

That is another nice attempt at self-justification. However, Pagan Rome does not equal the Roman Catholic Church, despite how much one might want it to. See my comments in the second post above.

Barraco said:
Never heard of it. I'm not anti-Catholic. If it were not for Rome and her traditions, I would probably be among the Catholics today. Since they yield to Rome, whom approves of praying to Mary rather than Jesus, I cannot do so with adherence to my conscience.

I really would not expect you to admit that you do know of it, not to mention actually believe it is real history. I would not expect you to admit to anti-Catholicism, either. "Praying to Mary rather than Jesus" is just a rhetorical trope thrown in for added effect. It does not help you any. I would substitute "presuppositions" for "conscience" in your last sentence.

Barraco said:
Again, I'm not anti-Catholic. I believe that Rome is going to go through some serious tribulation soon and I don't want Catholics to share in that.

Yes, but it does not seem like you have any problem pronouncing doom over Roman Catholicism and then gloating over it. You might want to reconsider your language, biblical, and historical interpretations if you do not want to appear as such. It does not differ much from the typical, run of the mill anti-Catholicism that is tossed about in GT on a daily basis.

Barraco said:
In Revelation 18, Jesus is calling his people (evidently the Catholics) out of Rome, to not share in her plagues. If what I'm saying is true, then it should be taken seriously and examine.

LOL...nothing new there. Her = Roman Catholicism; Mystery Babylon = Roman Catholicism; harlot of Babylon = Roman Catholicism. It is all the same kind of smug, gloating self-justification for one's theological and ecclesiological choices.

Barraco said:
Really? Can you provide an example please? (One not used toward dismissing the Byzantines or overcoming investiture.)

Seriously? Have you read Cyprian, for example?

Barraco said:
I wasn't defending the Byzantines or the Protestants. The Byzantines worshiped objects.

Oh, sorry, one would not think that you would actually want to portray Byzantine Christianity in a positive light since it is too "Catholic" and cannot be grandfathered in as proto-Protestantism.

"Worshiped objects" is just another rhetorical trope on par with "praying to Mary rather than Jesus." :doh:

Barraco said:
The Protestants came from Rome.

LOL...so I suppose here is the point where you say that you are not Protestant, Catholic, or Orthodox but merely follow Jesus and the Bible? Being a lonewolf Christian beholden to one's own interpretations and presuppositions is much worse. This is what every anti-Catholic and lonewolf Christian says to try to justify their choices, once again.

Barraco said:
As Revelation 17:5 shows, Rome is the mother of prostitutes. (That was, after all, the argument that the Church of Rome used in dismissing the Adventist accusations; by saying that the Protestants are a mirror of the Church of Rome, even in the aspect that their services are similar and they attend church on Sundays. [I am not an Adventist, by the way.])

There is the harlot of Babylon trope, just like I said. You may not be Adventist, but I have seen the very same type of anti-Catholic rhetoric and justifications spouted by some of the resident Adventists. What is holding you back from becoming one? Are they daughters of the harlot, too?

Upvote 0

Barraco

Jun 24, 2004
Minot, ND
Visit site
✟24,283.00
Faith
Christian
1) I would like to see you chastize many of your Protestant brethren who consider the Crusades to be a good thing because they were an attempt to keep Muslims out of Western Europe and take back the Holy Land (initially) for the Byzantines. Somehow I think you would be singing a different tune now if you were in a condition of dhimmitude.

Not sure what you mean.

2) Also, what about the systematic rounding up of Catholic clergy and laymen during the Peasants' Revolt in Germany? Hundreds of thousands were killed and their churches raised to the ground all because they liked the opinion of the Radical Reformers concerning the denial of the Real Presence in the Eucharist and destruction of religious images. It is ironic that most Protestant denominations take after the Radical Reformers than the magesterial ones.

I guess I'm not much of a Protestant. I'd probably want to fight that one. I think its evident that Christ didn't commend any kind of bloodshed at the hands of his followers. I guess you can put me in the camp of those who want the Church to be like the one of the first three centuries, before politics and primacy were really problem. They were really of one Spirit and they were the same no matter where you went (I'm not including the heretics in this.) But, once Christianity became legalized, a fight for control over the Church began and Spirit was substituted for semantics and tradition. This was seen in the evident conflict that Constantine had in trying to get the pagan citizens to convert to Christianity. He went as far as to march his soldiers through the river on the their way to battle as a method of Baptism.

3) "False Doctrines" - what do you hope to accomplish by setting up such a broad, nebulous category as this? A comparable one could be set up called "False Opinions and Interpretations."
When it comes to Rome (at least Medieval Rome), it is not opinion. It is law, especially since the First Vatican Council claimed that the Pope was infallible. That's a problem because, if someone is infallible, and he claims to be the leader of the Church, then his opinions often become doctrine. Therefore, priests are not allowed to marry, prayers are offered to angels, saints, and Mary, sacraments are added, Canon Law is expanded and with it the indulgences to lessen the temporal punishment, and much more. Nobody knows what true community is now because every claims to be the true one, either based on their tradition or their interpretation. I don't know what the true community is. All I do know is that it doesn't need to be based on Roman tradition.

I guess the prophets commanding and judging the Israelite kings do not count here for some suspicious reason? The fact that Biship Ambrose fulfilled much the same role against Theodosius is somehow discounted because Ambrose was "Catholic" and the prophets were not.
Judging unrighteousness and fighting to control kings are two different things. Telling someone that they are wrong for adultery is not the same as telling someone they are wrong for not subjecting their authority and spirituality to your authority. The Church of Rome wasn't just convicting sin, she was ruling nations.

Argumentum ad Hitlerum, i.e. the Nazification of one's opponents for effect
I see. So, you're saying that I'm slandering in order to promote my eschatology. Am I correct in how I interpret your response?

Foxe's Book of Martyrs, now there is an unbiased source that should always be whipped out in a discussion of the legitimacy of Catholicism!
So, you're saying that I'm being biased for pointing out the flaws of the Church of Rome (and that its wrong), yet it's okay to use bias as an argument? I'm confused. Did Foxe have a point or not?

What about the large number of people that are leaving the embarrassing therepeutic deism, pop-culture loving, sacrament denying, and ahistoricism of modern Evangelical Christianity for Eastern Orthodoxy? What do you have to say to them?
Good for them. The early church never had this problem because councils were mainly convened to dictate what was heretical against the Gospel of Christ and what was not. Those councils had nothing to do with establishing universal primacy or which papacy was the correct one. Christ is interested in the growth of his followers, that they bear good fruit. It's my hope that when they reach Eastern Orthodoxy, that they continue to grow and realize that it isn't the papacy that dictates what is true for all Churches but the Spirit which dictates the truth. In the day that the Roman papacy is no longer the authority of Catholicism, it's likely that I'll convert to Catholicism myself.

Upvote 0