Video Game question

Raven122

Aug 17, 2012
✟7,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So I've Googled around a bit and it seems the opinions vary, but I wanted to ask again, do you guys think playing military shooters are bad? By bad I mean not pleasing to God. There's been times when I let game come before my walk with Him but I learned from that and I don't let gaming come before my time with Him or serving Him. Recently though something's been bothering me a little and it's never bothered me before.

I love military shooters, I love the military, not the killing aspect, but the teamwork, brotherhood, weapons and vehicles, tactics, it all just fascinates me. I know being in the military isn't a bad thing and from what I understand killing in the military isn't a sin to God, (I think it isn't, not 100% sure) so why can't we play a game about it? If you perform a military operation (which involves killing) for entertainment, do you think that is bad and and should Christians stay away from it? Do you think this is Satan just trying to make me feel guilty or do you think this is God trying to tell me something?

Thanks for all responses in advance.

Syckological

Nov 23, 2012
Behind you.
✟536.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
So I've Googled around a bit and it seems the opinions vary, but I wanted to ask again, do you guys think playing military shooters are bad? By bad I mean not pleasing to God. There's been times when I let game come before my walk with Him but I learned from that and I don't let gaming come before my time with Him or serving Him. Recently though something's been bothering me a little and it's never bothered me before.

I love military shooters, I love the military, not the killing aspect, but the teamwork, brotherhood, weapons and vehicles, tactics, it all just fascinates me. I know being in the military isn't a bad thing and from what I understand killing in the military isn't a sin to God, (I think it isn't, not 100% sure) so why can't we play a game about it? If you perform a military operation (which involves killing) for entertainment, do you think that is bad and and should Christians stay away from it? Do you think this is Satan just trying to make me feel guilty or do you think this is God trying to tell me something?

Thanks for all responses in advance.

Video games are okay, i'm not sure why you'd question that. Unless if you have a mental disturbance (which i'm not implying you do) or if shooting a fake person with a 3D weapon makes you automatically know how to field strip an M4A1 and you want to go shoot people, then yes I would stay away.

If not, than play worry free~

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Just search the 400 threads on this forum about violent video games and religion. There are more threads here on that topic then there are about actual games.

This is a slight improvement in that it's specifically about military shooters rather than violence in general.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
@OP: No, I don't think there's anything wrong with the aspects of military life you discuss that don't involve combat, although that is often part of the military life.

I'm generally pacifist, but I think part of what makes series like Mass Effect so compelling is they do do a good job of presenting the fraternity and camraderie that you can get from military life.

Upvote 0

BrickUponBrick

One Among The Fence
May 31, 2011
Missouri
✟7,739.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
@OP: No, I don't think there's anything wrong with the aspects of military life you discuss that don't involve combat, although that is often part of the military life.

I'm generally pacifist, but I think part of what makes series like Mass Effect so compelling is they do do a good job of presenting the fraternity and camraderie that you can get from military life.

Ditto on the Mass Effect thing. I would add that it also presents the tough choices, like choosing between who lives and who unfortunately dies, and the regret and everything that comes with it.

To the OP, I think it's more of a personal thing. As long as you're not like "Take that *insert expletive here*!" or thoroughly enjoying the killing on some weird personal level....
I don't play them much, but that's mainly because I just don't care much for them. Plus they're getting overdone now.

Upvote 0