Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am a middle school science teacher, and do not profess to understand all the complexities of science. But, I was thinking of this today- and it might be far out. All things are made of atoms that are constantly vibrating, everything in the universe. Vibrations make sounds, of course the human ear can't hear all of the sounds made by the vibrating atoms. I was thinking about how the Bible says all creation sings to God and was wondering if this is referring to the ever vibrating atoms in every substance. Like God can hear all the singing of water, trees, stars, mountains, etc. These songs are forever ascending to Him. Maybe this is kind of weird and metaphysical or something, but I wonder if anyone else has thought of the ever vibrating atoms in this context. I like to think these physical laws are for a purpose, and glorify God.

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I am a middle school science teacher, and do not profess to understand all the complexities of science. But, I was thinking of this today- and it might be far out. All things are made of atoms that are constantly vibrating, everything in the universe. Vibrations make sounds, of course the human ear can't hear all of the sounds made by the vibrating atoms. I was thinking about how the Bible says all creation sings to God and was wondering if this is referring to the ever vibrating atoms in every substance. Like God can hear all the singing of water, trees, stars, mountains, etc. These songs are forever ascending to Him. Maybe this is kind of weird and metaphysical or something, but I wonder if anyone else has thought of the ever vibrating atoms in this context. I like to think these physical laws are for a purpose, and glorify God.
I wouldn't build a scientific theory around it.

Also, atoms by themselves don't vibrate, they needed to be bonded to something else, or they just fly around and bounce off other atoms.

Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Also, atoms by themselves don't vibrate, they needed to be bonded to something else, or they just fly around and bounce off other atoms.
But they vibrate in substances, like solids have closely packed atoms, liquids not so close, and gases have atoms that are farther apart. Objects' atoms vibrate, if they are elements they are just atoms. If they are compounds, they are molecules vibrating.
It's less a scientific theory than a Christian theory. I'm not a scientist and just have a rudimentary understanding of this.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
But they vibrate in substances, like solids have closely packed atoms, liquids not so close, and gases have atoms that are farther apart. Objects' atoms vibrate, if they are elements they are just atoms. If they are compounds, they are molecules vibrating.
It's less a scientific theory than a Christian theory. I'm not a scientist and just have a rudimentary understanding of this.
You're a science teacher, you say?

Upvote 0

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I personally wouldn't rule it out. A glorified body will have hugely more capability that these earth bound earth suits that we currently occupy. I would suppose that in a glorified body, it would be easy to hear sounds that are undetectable to us on this earth.

As an example of the potential for a glorified body, I remember in the 1980s, someone I heard someone speaking on heaven, say that in heaven the music scale had 7 octaves. This, of course, can't be proven, demonstrated or backed up by scripture but it is interesting to ponder.
I read in Wikipedia that the average range for a singer is three octaves.

Upvote 0

TagliatelliMonster

Sep 22, 2016
Brugge
✟66,672.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If it wasn't vibration, but something else instead, I'm sure you'ld come up with some other "after the fact" interpretation just to be able to say "see? the bible said it all along".

I know you didn't explicitly say this, off course.
But it certainly smells like it. It wouldn't be the first time such things are done... taking vague scriptural passages, taking actual scientific discoveries and then "pretend" as if those discoveries are exactly what the vague passages are talking about.

I know of no instance where it was ever the other way round.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
taking vague scriptural passages, taking actual scientific discoveries and then "pretend" as if those discoveries are exactly what the vague passages are talking about.
You mean like the atom bomb ...

Psalm 66:3 Say unto God, How terrible art thou in thy works! through the greatness of thy power shall thine enemies submit themselves unto thee.

Or Brownian motion ...

Psalm 66:4 All the earth shall worship thee, and shall sing unto thee; they shall sing to thy name. Selah.

• Haha
Reactions: HitchSlap
Upvote 0

TagliatelliMonster

Sep 22, 2016
Brugge
✟66,672.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You mean like the atom bomb ...

Psalm 66:3 Say unto God, How terrible art thou in thy works! through the greatness of thy power shall thine enemies submit themselves unto thee.

Or Brownian motion ...

Psalm 66:4 All the earth shall worship thee, and shall sing unto thee; they shall sing to thy name. Selah.

Indeed. Or the list of examples on this site: http://www.miraclesofthequran.com/scientific_index.html

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Indeed. Or the list of examples on this site: http://www.miraclesofthequran.com/scientific_index.html
Did you read the second one on that list? about Moses and the Red Sea?

It was hardly a tsunami.

Exodus 14:22 And the children of Israel went into the midst of the sea upon the dry ground: and the waters were a wall unto them on their right hand, and on their left.

A tsunami wouldn't have water on both sides.

I'm afraid their plagiarized version has some holes in it.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Suggestion: leave religion out of science class.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Suggestion: leave religion out of science class.
I didn't say anything about God at all in class. I am a firm practitioner of separating a state school from religion. I wrote that this was what I was THINKING, not what I was teaching. I only teach the physical facts, not my personal way out thoughts.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

To a small extent, there may be some biblical implication to support your idea. But, at the very most, I think all we can really say is that the Bible's figurative language about nature's "singing" merely hints at the idea you've suggested about atomic vibration.

In relation to your idea, the following video (10 minutes in length) is interesting, and it reflects some aspects of your suggestion, Galatea, even though the video itself is not "Christian" in nature.
[An "image" of the vibrating atom(s) discussed in the video can be seen here.]

[p.s. My choice of video should not be taken to mean that I 'endorse' Thom Hartmann. Rather, I chose the video for it's interview with Dr. Cosmin Blaga.]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,822.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Maybe this is kind of weird and metaphysical or something, but I wonder if anyone else has thought of the ever vibrating atoms in this context. I like to think these physical laws are for a purpose, and glorify God.

I'd be careful of this, because following along it would say that people killed by exposure to hard radiation emitted from vibrating particles end up glorifying your God. That's kinda iffy theologically speaking, I'd think.

Upvote 0

RickG

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

Atoms as well as ions do indeed vibrate due to thermal energy and their environment. This behavior is especially important in understanding crystalline structures and why and how crystals develop, thus size, charge, and polarizability. If you ever study mineralogy/crystallography it gets pretty deep in this area.

Upvote 0