Very few Christians read the Bible, Baptist are no dfiierent. Why?

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Why don't you read the Bible? Very few Baptist read the bible every day. How often do read the Bible and how often do you pray?

On what do you base that statistic?

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Why don't you read the Bible? Very few Baptist read the bible every day. How often do read the Bible and how often do you pray?
That's a strange question, since earlier you asked what books you recommend what educational material people recommend? Maybe the issue is that people read too much "Christian" "educational " material and it leaves them with a euphorically high and the bible doesn't. People can be reading there Bible everyday, yet the hermeneutic within modern "Christian" "educational" material and modern worship music have a foreign hermeneutic to Scripture. So which one will Christians go with?

Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I don't know where you get your statistics, but I'd wager the vast majority of Christians don't read their Bible as much as they could and should; a reality that transcends denomination and doctrine.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I read my bible everyday, but I'm not going to say that I read the entire NT every week or anything. I like to read in small doses and think on what I've read, rather than trying to make some huge accomplishment to brag about lol.

I used to read the Bible through (both OT and NT) every year but as I get older, it takes me about 2 years to read it through. I read it mostly every day but don't feel guilty if I miss some days while I study smaller sections of Scripture. Most people in the early church did not have access to the Bible to read it.

Also, I realise that for a large portion of church history, most people have not had a full Bible to read.

According to Wycliffe Bible Translators, 'What's been done, what's left to do':
How many people have access to Scripture in their mother tongue?
The full Bible is available in 554 different languages, giving 5,054 million people access to Scripture in the language they understand best. The New Testament is available in another 1,333 languages, reaching another 663 million people. At least one book of the Bible is available in a further 1,045 other languages, spoken by 281 million people.

How many languages still need translation?
In addition to over 2,267 active projects worldwide, work needs to be done in a further 1,800 languages.

How many people have no Scripture?
There are an estimated 180 million people without access to any Scripture in their heart language. 1.5 billion people are without the full Bible in their first language.

Oz

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WretchedGoat

Feb 24, 2016
USA
✟1,386.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
No point in putting Baptists on the spot. Truth is, most Christians are Biblically illiterate. Here's a conservative estimate that 82% of Christians only read the Bible while in church:

http://poncefoundation.com/project/christians-dont-read-their-bible/

I've seen estimates as high as 90% of Christians don't read the Bible ever day, and estimates somewhere between 80 and 85% of Christians that have never read the Bible cover to cover. Baptists only make up (and this is also estimated from different sources) about 15% of modern Christians in America, so it's unfair to call Baptists out on their lack of Biblical knowledge. All of Christianity could do a lot better.

The distinct lack of Biblical literacy in Christianity is the major reason I won't engage in a debate on apologetics with anyone. There is an 8/10 chance that the person trying to debate me has NO idea what they are talking about and is only espousing one tiny bit of scripture taken wildly out of context.

I had read the Bible cover to cover TWICE before I ever got saved. A lifelong true believer has no excuse to not have read the Bible. It's written at a 5th grade reading level for goodness sakes.

Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No point in putting Baptists on the spot. Truth is, most Christians are Biblically illiterate. Here's a conservative estimate that 82% of Christians only read the Bible while in church:

I've seen estimates as high as 90% of Christians don't read the Bible ever day, and estimates somewhere between 80 and 85% of Christians that have never read the Bible cover to cover. Baptists only make up (and this is also estimated from different sources) about 15% of modern Christians in America, so it's unfair to call Baptists out on their lack of Biblical knowledge. All of Christianity could do a lot better.

The distinct lack of Biblical literacy in Christianity is the major reason I won't engage in a debate on apologetics with anyone. There is an 8/10 chance that the person trying to debate me has NO idea what they are talking about and is only espousing one tiny bit of scripture taken wildly out of context.

I had read the Bible cover to cover TWICE before I ever got saved. A lifelong true believer has no excuse to not have read the Bible. It's written at a 5th grade reading level for goodness sakes.

This is a BAPTIST THREAD ONLY

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well. I dont know if baptists are totally different from other churches as theres so many denoms but I can say that the one I attend, and the people I know, DO read their bibles everyday.

Not just the pastor as its his job but everyone who attends that I know of is a regular bible reader. I mean obviously I am not hovering over people every day seeing them open up their bibles but just in talking and fellowship, people do know scripture and we can have conversations about the bible. And even those who havent read the whole bible make an effort to know more and ask questions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

The Lord rewards those who listen to Him speak in His Word and trust Him.

Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You do not identify as a Baptist, so why did you, a non-Baptist, start this thread?
It was started in BAPTIST ONLY so I just thought it would be nice to tell you, before being reported.

Upvote 0