1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Verses That Disprove SDA Sabbath

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Dale, Jun 15, 2012.

1. NewUser123

NewUser123 New Member

So do I and others here. And yer point?

http://www.christianforums.com/t7634884/
    Just the Basics - Holy Tradition/Sola Scriptura

2. New_Wineskin

New_Wineskin Contributor

Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    You know for a fact that the quote did not imply any such thing .

In fact , it was the exact opposite . Your fellow SDA person stated that your group violates the Sabbath by refusing to cease from toil . You knew that but decided to write otherwise .

Asw for Sunday worship , I don't worship *any* day . Sunday is no big deal to me .

3. bugkiller

bugkiller Active Member

Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    I wonder why they continue to say we worship Sunday. Is it because they worship the sabbath. I noted someone quoted one of their hymns not to long ago which certianly appears to be worshipping the sabbath.

bugkiller

4. bugkiller

bugkiller Active Member

Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    The reading of the will in this case had not yet been read. Why do you not require the same about the law?

bugkiller

5. New_Wineskin

New_Wineskin Contributor

Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    They are like the Catholics . As the Catholics have the mindset that all "Protestants" all have the same doctrines ( though they will also chide them for all having different doctrines ) , SDA's and MG's think all of those who do not worship the Sabbath think alike in the worship of Sunday .

6. NewUser123

NewUser123 New Member

From what I understand, the SDAs do view the RCC in Revelation and the Protestant sects as the "harlot daughters".
    In which case, that would include the SDA and MJ sects. :D
    Never can get a clear answer from them on that.

http://www.christianforums.com/t4249495-4/#post29199830
    Whore of Babylon and her harlot daughters

7. bugkiller

bugkiller Active Member

Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    When do you ever get a clear straight up front answer from those politicians?

bugkiller

8. Jonathan95

Jonathan95 Veteran

Faith:
    Christian
    1. The Lord’s Day is the day we worship in remembrance of the Lord’s resurrection. This is Sunday. The rest of God is now on the Lord’s Day. The day of rest (Sabbath) has changed to Sunday (the Lord’s Day) because Jesus resurrected on Sunday. This is why the disciples gathered together to praise and worship the resurrected Jesus on Sunday. They had called it the Lord’s Day. This is how and why they had begun to have service on Sunday.

2. In the Old Testament days, they kept Saturday Holy as the Sabbath rest day which is the last day of the week. But after the resurrection of Jesus from death and to ascension to heaven, they began to keep the first day of the week instead of the last day of the week. This is one of the reasons why they had kept the Lord’s Day (first day) and not the last day of the week or Sabbath-rest.

3. One, once the work of redemption was completed by Jesus, the day He had resurrected was now the Lord’s Day, the day after Sabbath. In other words, He resurrected on Sunday. For example, it is much more important for humans to be born again in Spirit than the experience of the birth of our physical bodies. Therefore, the Lord’s resurrection day is more important. It is the day the world was saved from sin and corruption. It is more important because the previous was creation that fell. Hebrews 4:7 “Therefore God again set a certain day…” and Hebrews stated, “God would not have spoken later about another day. There remains then a Sabbath –rest for the people of God;” Hebrews 7:18 “The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless (for the law made nothing perfect). The circumcision in the Old Testament became a baptism in the New Testament. The Passover in the Old Testament became Holy Communion (The Lord’s Supper) in the New Testament. This is the same concept; the Sabbath-rest day in the Old Testament had changed to the Lord’s Day which is Sunday.

4. Second, Jesus had appeared a total of five times after the resurrection. He appeared not on Sabbath rest, Saturday but on the next day which is the Lord’s Day, Sunday. This is because the Lord is the one who had completed and perfected the law.

5. Third, on the Lord’s Day, Sunday, the Holy Spirit descended (Acts 2:10). On the day of Pentecost, the Holy Spirit descended to the earth. Pentecost means the fiftieth day.
    The Apostle Paul told the Christians to set aside their tithes and offering on the first day of the week (1 Corinthians 16:2).

Read Early church Fathers writings too!

Dale likes this.
  9. New_Wineskin

New_Wineskin Contributor

Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    From what I have read in their posts , they would consider those that have "Sunday worship" as being the "harlot daughters" of the Catholic group . They think that if we don't worship the Sabbath , we must agree with the Catholics . It is funny , but I think that they agree with the Catholics that the Lord rose on Sunday . ... just when I think that I could agree with them on something , they think lik Catholics . Oh well . :)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  10. Dale

Dale Senior Veteran

Faith:
    Protestant

Christ had not yet resurrected when the women rested on the Sabbath before going to the Tomb.

Your comments on “death of the testator” aren't worth replying to.

I don't see what you think you can gain by putting down Justin Martyr. I didn't derive any fancy theology from Justin Martyr. I simply observed that he described the worship of early Christians and that they worshipped on Sunday, hundreds of years before the SDA say that the RCC “changed” the day of worship.

The New Testament contains several instances of Communion being celebrated on Sunday. New Testament authors such as Luke specificially mention the day of the week, when they could have left out this detail if it did not matter. I don't believe there is any instance in the NT of Communion being celebrated on a Saturday.

These verses were covered in this thread, if you cared to learn from them.

11. Dale

Dale Senior Veteran

Faith:
    Protestant
    Justin Martyr isn't the only source for Sunday worship outside the Bible, among the early Christians.

Tertullian is one of the early Church fathers who mentioned Sunday worship in the church of his time. For instance, in a brief piece, The Chaplet, he says:

We rejoice in the same privilege also from Easter to Whitsunday. [Whitsunday is a Sunday.]
    --The Chaplet, Chapter 3

In Ad Nationes, To the Nations, Tertullian says:

Others, with greater regard to good manners, it must be confessed, suppose that the sun is the god of the Christians, because it is a well-known fact that we pray towards the east, or because we make Sunday a day of festivity.

A few sentences later:

Wherefore, that I may return from this digression, you who reproach us with the sun and Sunday should consider your proximity to us.

Notice that Tertullian describes Sunday worship as "a well known fact," not as anything controversial or as a recent innovation.

Both of these quotes are from the first paragraph in Chapter 13 of Ad Nationes.

Both works of Tertullian can be found at the link below.

CHURCH FATHERS: Home

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/

12. Dale

Dale Senior Veteran

Faith:
    Protestant
    Tertullian wrote the Chaplet about 209 AD and To the Nations about 197 AD.

This is about a hundred a fifty years before the Seventh Day Adventists say that the Pope "changed" the day of worship.

13. KimberlyAA

KimberlyAA New Member

Faith:
    Seventh-Day-Adventist
    Breaking bread on the 1st day of the week does not indicate that it was the Sabbath. If it was, Paul should have said that they came together on the Sabbath to break bread.

14. dollarsbill

dollarsbill New Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Of course some kept the OT Sabbath commands in the NT. They were in a transition period. Now we know there are no Sabbath commands in the NT. But some insist on judging others anyway.

Colossians 2:16 (NASB)
    16 Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day—

15. David Conklin

David Conklin Newbie

Faith:
    Christian
    Salaminius Hermias Sozomen:

“The people of Constantinople, and almost everywhere, assemble together on the Sabbath, as well as on the first day of the week, which custom is never observed at Rome or at Alexandria.” Ecclesiastical History, Chapter XIX at http://www.ntslibrary.com/PDF Books/Socrates and Sozomenus Ecclesiastical Histories.pdf – page 592

Socrates Scholasticus:

"For although almost all churches throughout the world celebrate the sacred mysteries on the sabbath of every week, yet the Christians of Alexandria and at Rome, on account of some ancient tradition, have ceased to do this." Ecclesiastical History, Book 5, chapter 22 found @ http://www.ntslibrary.com/PDF Books/Socrates and Sozomenus Ecclesiastical Histories.pdf – page 244

16. David Conklin

David Conklin Newbie

Faith:
    Christian
    I judge no one.

For a detailed examination of Col. 2:16-17 see "An In-Depth Look at the Significant Words and Grammatical Structure of Colossians 2:16-17" @ A Study on Col. 2:16-17

17. David Conklin

David Conklin Newbie

Faith:
    Christian
    You seem to be a tad behind in your research on this subject and very badly misinformed.

Dr. Bacchiocchi showed that the change over started in about 135 AD. And I've never seen anyone claim that a Pope changed the day.

18. dollarsbill

dollarsbill New Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Then we are not under a Sabbath or dietary restriction!!!

19. from scratch

from scratch Guest

This is a list and could be formatted as:

16 Let no man therefore judge you
    • in meat, or
    • in drink, or
    • in respect of an holyday, or
    • of the new moon, or
    • of the sabbath days:
    The word days does not appear in the original text and is provided to help understanding. It does not refer to differend kinds of sabbaths. The form use here means the weekly sabbath and nothing else. The Greek word is translated both singular and plural in Mark 3:2 and 4 about the same incident speaking about the weekly sabbath.

Holydays are sabbaths.

The new moon is a sabbath.

The list does not say these are those sabbaths being talked about.

Sabbath days are a seperate item on the list just like meat and drink. There is nothing in the list that says these are food much like some would claim the last item is declaring the 2 previous items to be sabbaths.

20. from scratch

from scratch Guest

So the Scripture plainly shows that Christians met on Sunday for worship as early as 55 AD. There are a few historians that show this as as early a 100 AD as well. It is common knowledge that by 135 AD there was no Jewish leadership left in the church. There were still Jewish Christians. Some of them may have still been worshipping on the Sabbath. The shift from the 7th day to the first day started nearly a hundred years prior to 135.

I have another question for you. Was Dr Sam Bacchiocchi an SDA member, A Jesuit or both? IOW how are you presenting him?