✟665,848.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Paul is in the Greek town of Troas.

“On the first day of the week we came together to break bread. Paul spoke to the people and, because he intended to leave the next day, kept on talking until midnight.”
--Acts 20:7 NIV

“[T]he first day of the week ...” This is Sunday, no doubt about it. If you guessed that “break bread” means the Lord's Supper, then scholars back up that opinion. From the notes in my Disciples Study Bible:

“To 'break bread' is almost certainly a reference to the Lord's Supper.”
As support for this view: “They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.”--Acts 2:42 NIV
Further support: “Then the two told what had happened on the way, and how Jesus was recognized by them when he broke the bread.”--Luke 24:35 NIV

Both Paul and Luke are highly aware of Jewish customs as they “break bread” on Sunday in the Greek town of Troas. The previous verse:

“But we sailed from Philippi after the Festival of Unleavened Bread, and five days later joined the others at Troas, where we stayed seven days.”
--Acts 20:6 NIV

In other words, Paul stayed at one town, Philippi, long enough to complete the Festival of Unleavened Bread, or the Feast of the Passover. Verses 4&5 make it clear that others of his entourage had already moved on but Paul stayed in one place to celebrate Passover.

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

“On the first day of the week we came together to break bread. Paul spoke to the people and, because he intended to leave the next day, kept on talking until midnight.”

“[T]he first day of the week ...” This is Sunday, no doubt about it. If you guessed that “break bread” means the Lord's Supper, then scholars back up that opinion. From the notes in my Disciples Study Bible:

“To 'break bread' is almost certainly a reference to the Lord's Supper.”
As support for this view: “They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.”--Acts 2:42 NIV
Further support: “Then the two told what had happened on the way, and how Jesus was recognized by them when he broke the bread.”--Luke 24:35 NIV

Both Paul and Luke are highly aware of Jewish customs as they “break bread” on Sunday in the Greek town of Troas. The previous verse:

“But we sailed from Philippi after the Festival of Unleavened Bread, and five days later joined the others at Troas, where we stayed seven days.”
--Acts 20:6 NIV

In other words, Paul stayed at one town, Philippi, long enough to complete the Festival of Unleavened Bread, or the Feast of the Passover. Verses 4&5 make it clear that others of his entourage had already moved on but Paul stayed in one place to celebrate Passover.

If breaking bread is a reference to the Lord's supper then how do you explain the fact that they did this daily:

Act 2:46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,

And by the way, the Lord's Supper must have bread and the cup. In none of these scriptures is mention made of the cup. You cannot have the Lord's Supper without his blood.

Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I am not sure how that disproves the sabbath being on the seventh day.

It would e more correct to say they came together after the Sabbath and broke bread together.
I agree . I don't agree with SDA . However , the OP didn't even mention the weekly Sabbath to prove or disprove anything concerning it or what the SDAs say concerning it .

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
SDAs did not write the Bible - God did.

"All scripture is given by inspiration from God and is to be used for doctrine, correction and reproof" 2Tim 3:16.

"But what matters is keeping the Commandments of God" 1Cor 7:19

The Saints of God are those who "keep the Commandments of God and their faith in Jesus" Rev 14:12.

Even in the New Earth "From Sabbath to Sabbath...shall ALL Mankind come before Me to Worship" Isaiah 66.

Mark 2:7 "The Sabbath was made for mankind not mankind made for the Sabbath"

“[T]he first day of the week ...” This is Sunday, no doubt about it.

1. Agreed. Instead of calling it Sabbath, or the Lord's Day -- in Acts 20 it is simply "week day 1" -- no special designator at all.

2. But notice that in Acts 20 the purpose of the meeting is a farewell sermon - Paul is leaving the next day - which is either Sunday or Monday depending on whether the sun has set when they say it is "week day 1".

In Acts 2 they " break bread from house to house -- daily".

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
SDAs did not write the Bible - God did.

"All scripture is given by inspiration from God and is to be used for doctrine, correction and reproof" 2Tim 3:16.

"But what matters is keeping the Commandments of God" 1Cor 7:19

The Saints of God are those who "keep the Commandments of God and their faith in Jesus" Rev 14:12.

Even in the New Earth "From Sabbath to Sabbath...shall ALL Mankind come before Me to Worship" Isaiah 66.

Mark 2:7 "The Sabbath was made for mankind not mankind made for the Sabbath"

1. Agreed. Instead of calling it Sabbath, or the Lord's Day -- in Acts 20 it is simply "week day 1" -- no special designator at all.

2. But notice that in Acts 20 the purpose of the meeting is a farewell sermon - Paul is leaving the next day - which is either Sunday or Monday depending on whether the sun has set when they say it is "week day 1".

In Acts 2 they " break bread from house to house -- daily".

in Christ,

Bob

In addition, if the first day was known as the Lord's day at that time, then why would Luke still be calling it the first day of the week when he is writing this.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Indeed - in the book of acts it is referred to several times as "week day 1" rather than giving it a title of honor.

When honor is given -- the Bible writers say something like "The Seventh day is the Sabbath" or "He blessed the Seventh day and made it holy".

Nothing like that is ever said of "week day 1". And Acts 20 is a great place to point that out - because it would have been such a great place to remind everyone "hey big news here - we are keeping week day 1 as the Lord's Day"

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟665,848.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I am not sure how that disproves the sabbath being on the seventh day.

It would e more correct to say they came together after the Sabbath and broke bread together.

It proves that Paul and Luke held Communion on Sunday, the first day of the week, which probably wouldn't be worth mentioning unless it was the regular day of worship.

As for your suggestion that "it would be more correct to say they came together after the Sabbath," you seem to be rewriting the Bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟665,848.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Winslow:
"Acts 20:7 is reffering to an event that took place saturday evening, lasting til midnight."

They clearly started their worship on Sunday. When it was past midnight, by our reckoning it would be Monday.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟665,848.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
OP Part 2:

“1 Now about the collection for the Lord’s people: Do what I told the Galatian churches to do. 2 On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with your income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made.”
--1 Corinthians 16:1-2 NIV

The first day of the week is Sunday, and Paul is clearly saying that the Corinthians normally gather for worship on Sunday. This is the day that members contribute any money that they are able to give. Paul tells us that the Galatians were told the same thing, so the Galatians were also routinely worshipping on the first day of the week, Sunday. Paul obviously approves of the Corinthians and the Galatians worshipping on Sunday, and knows that they do so to honor the resurrection of Christ.

The notes in my Disciples Study Bible say that Paul told the Corinthians to “be worshipful—make the offering a part of the Lord's Day worship”.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
To the Op.

Try this on for size.

Seventh Day Adventists, from my experience here on the forums and in the Baptist area, have argued ritual observance of the Commandment:

"Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy." -Ex. 20:8 (KJV)

And partly based on:

"Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven." -Mt. 5:19 (KJV)

We are told in Hebrews:

"...he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises." -Heb. 8:6 (KJV)

We are promised and told that Jesus established a "better covenant" on "better promises".

The first was one of work, the second of grace.

But it is deeper than that.

What most do not realize is that the Decalogue is called a "covenant" by God and the scriptures.

"And he declared unto you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, even ten commandments; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone." -Deut. 4:13 (KJV)

Now, what covenant was given to Israel that was also written on two tables of stone?

If the Decalogue was given at Mt. Sinai, and God calls it a "covenant' Himself, and Jesus has already established a better covenant on better promises, why are we to live by the letter of the Law?

"...the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life." -2 Cor. 3:6 (KJV)

We do not have to observe ritual observance of the sabbath because the Decalogue says so. we are under a new covenant established by Christ at Calvary.

Ritual observance of the Law "killeth, but the spirit giveth life".

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Winslow:
"Acts 20:7 is reffering to an event that took place saturday evening, lasting til midnight."

They clearly started their worship on Sunday. When it was past midnight, by our reckoning it would be Monday.

Wrong again Bob. In those days they knew that a day begins and ends at sunset as the bible said. At the end of the Sabbath, means it was sunday evening because the evening comes before the morning. After the Sabbath its not really Saturday night, its sunday night.

Also this was not any ordinary service, but a special farewell service for Paul who would be heading to Jerusalem from trial. They all reckoned as Paul did, that this would be their last gathering together.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OP Part 2:

“1 Now about the collection for the Lord’s people: Do what I told the Galatian churches to do. 2 On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with your income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made.”
--1 Corinthians 16:1-2 NIV

The first day of the week is Sunday, and Paul is clearly saying that the Corinthians normally gather for worship on Sunday. This is the day that members contribute any money that they are able to give. Paul tells us that the Galatians were told the same thing, so the Galatians were also routinely worshipping on the first day of the week, Sunday. Paul obviously approves of the Corinthians and the Galatians worshipping on Sunday, and knows that they do so to honor the resurrection of Christ.

The notes in my Disciples Study Bible say that Paul told the Corinthians to “be worshipful—make the offering a part of the Lord's Day worship”.

Paul is collection a special offering from the gentile churches which he started and visited to bring to Jerusalem in order to give a good report of his mission. You are turning the text on its head because it is clear that Paul is asking them to do something that is not normal.

If it was normal for them to meet on Sunday and collect offering, why should he command them to do it? Additionally, the verse itself gives the reason why Paul wanted them to collect this special offering on that day.

1Co 16:2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

In other words, you guys come together and collect that special offering on that day, so when I pass by to collect the offering, you do not have to meet then. Its simple. Paul is not saying, meet on the first day of the week because Jesus rose then. Neither did he say meet on the first day because that is the day of worship for Christians. He said meet on the first say and pick up that offering so that you won't have to meet when I come. I just want to pass, collect the offering and be on my way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To the Op.

Try this on for size.

Seventh Day Adventists, from my experience here on the forums and in the Baptist area, have argued ritual observance of the Commandment:

"Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy." -Ex. 20:8 (KJV)

And partly based on:

"Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven." -Mt. 5:19 (KJV)

We are told in Hebrews:

"...he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises." -Heb. 8:6 (KJV)

We are promised and told that Jesus established a "better covenant" on "better promises".

The first was one of work, the second of grace.

But it is deeper than that.

What most do not realize is that the Decalogue is called a "covenant" by God and the scriptures.

"And he declared unto you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, even ten commandments; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone." -Deut. 4:13 (KJV)

Now, what covenant was given to Israel that was also written on two tables of stone?

If the Decalogue was given at Mt. Sinai, and God calls it a "covenant' Himself, and Jesus has already established a better covenant on better promises, why are we to live by the letter of the Law?

"...the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life." -2 Cor. 3:6 (KJV)

We do not have to observe ritual observance of the sabbath because the Decalogue says so. we are under a new covenant established by Christ at Calvary.

Ritual observance of the Law "killeth, but the spirit giveth life".

God Bless

Till all are one.

You guys always place the emphasis the wrong place. Read hebrews 8 - 10. What were the problems with the first covenant? How many times does it talk about the law there. The main emphasis placed when speaking about the difference in the covenant has to do with the Levitical priesthood and ceremonial ordinances. However, you do not talk about that at all because you are not being a tad objective. In the new covenant it says in Hebrews just like Jeremiah that God would place his laws in our hearts. What laws was God referring to in Jeremiah? Jesus taught about what it means to keep the law in the heart and it goes beyond the letter of the law. The letter of the law says thou shall not commit adultery. Keeping the law in the heart (spirit of the law) says that lusting after a woman means that you have already committed adultery. So in the new covenant God's moral code is embedded in our hearts. That's what the bible teaches.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

“[T]he first day of the week ...” This is Sunday, no doubt about it. If you guessed that “break bread” means the Lord's Supper, then scholars back up that opinion. From the notes in my Disciples Study Bible:*
Looking at the greek, the word used is "sabbaths", not week.

Literally "one of the sabbaths":angel:

sabbatwn <4521>

Greek NT - Textus Rec.) Acts 20:7 en de th mia twn sabbatwn sunhgmenwn twn maqhtwn tou klasai arton o pauloV dielegeto autoiV mellwn exienai th epaurion pareteinen te ton logon mecri mesonuktiou

4521. sabbaton of Hebrew origin (7676); the Sabbath (i.e. Shabbath), or day of weekly repose from secular avocations (also the observance or institution itself); by extension, a se'nnight, i.e. the interval between two Sabbaths; likewise the plural in all the above applications:--sabbath (day), week.

Upvote 0

JuanP

Apr 16, 2012
Europe
✟15,282.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have never seen any scripture which proves the Sabbath has been moved to a Sunday.
I have seen Paul's scriptures which strongly suggest the abolition of all commandments in favour of the glorious spirit. We must live by the spirit, not by the law.
Living by the law is a ministry of death, whereas living by the spirit is a ministry of life.
Isn't this what the New Covenant is all about.
Read 2 Cor chapter 3, it's pretty clear.

Therefore, personally, I still believe the Sabbath is Saturday, but I go to church on Sunday, because all my Christian friends do, it is a convenient day, so not worth arguing over.

We have been made free in Christ, don't be like the foolish Galatians and allow yourself to be yoked back into slavery.

Upvote 0