Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
For anyone that knows anything in my history, they will know that I was away from work for quite a while after badly injuring my neck (which required extensive neurosurgery to correct). Whilst I was off sick, I was worried about paying the household bills or even losing the house due to not being able to keep up the payments.

Where am I going with this I hear you asking? Well...

During this time, my wife said to me, "consider the sparrows".

So here I am on the verge of paralysis and my wife wants me to develop an interest in ornithology (birdwatching).

Now I know like you do that she did not actually mean that, but was alluding to an entire passage in the gospels...

So why is it then, when we read our new testaments, when new testaments authors do this, we just presume they are referring to the single verse, rather than the entire passage from where it comes?

Why do we do this, and more to the point, will we ever see a translation of the New Testament which does this for us.

Steve

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
For anyone that knows anything in my history, they will know that I was away from work for quite a while after badly injuring my neck (which required extensive neurosurgery to correct). Whilst I was off sick, I was worried about paying the household bills or even losing the house due to not being able to keep up the payments.

Where am I going with this I hear you asking? Well...

So here I am on the verge of paralysis and my wife wants me to develop an interest in ornithology (birdwatching).

Now I know like you do that she did not actually mean that, but was alluding to an entire passage in the gospels...

So why is it then, when we read our new testaments, when new testaments authors do this, we just presume they are referring to the single verse, rather than the entire passage from where it comes?

Why do we do this, and more to the point, will we ever see a translation of the New Testament which does this for us.

Steve

Matt 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

I remember learning something in our sabbath school class when I was younger. Our teacher told us that its not enough to read one verse and to try to base your understanding off of that. Instead we should look at the verse before it, and the verse before that, we may even need to start at the beginning of the chapter, or the one before it.

We are told to search the scriptures, but man would rather learn it their own way; That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them.

Some people are more comfortable with sticking with what tradition teaches about the bible, lest they be forced to change from their wicked ways.

Upvote 0

student ad x

Senior Contributor
Feb 20, 2009
just outside the forrest
✟29,077.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello lizard,

Sometimes people say things to make the mind to be active upon God. I've been "down" with chronic back problems for several years. If my helpmate had said this to me, I would have pondered the intent as well. But sometimes it is the seeking that brings relief from anxiety or frustration. Just as our Father takes care of the birds of the air who cannot reap or sow, the Father will care for you whose worth is infinitely more than 2 sparrows.
His grace and peace to you!

humbly,
Cam

Matthew 6:25-34

Upvote 0

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
In my circles if someone says "consider the sparrows" or references a verse in that way, we assume that the reference implies all applicable verses. So, we look it up if we are not sure of the context.

I don't know what you mean by asking about NT translators. They all translate the passages, it is not there fault if people only quote parts.

Upvote 0

BreadAlone

Hylian Knight
Aug 11, 2006
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Visit site
✟21,772.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I would have taken the context your wife was using to mean that if God takes care of the sparrows, He's going to care for you (that's Christ's context, at least).

You ahve a point about context, however. The books of Scripture are MUCH more meaningful and applicable when taken as a whole (like you read a book), rather than disected, like a textbook.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.