✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
gzt said:
Other way around: leaving the Church and doing your own thing is a modern notion. In earlier times, people doing bad things had to be forcibly expelled from the Church.

Yea, it's one of the most dangerous things to happen. It's easy to disassociate yourself from people and beliefs known to be heretical, but it's the beliefs that are similar and sound logical, that are close yet still far off, that are the easiest to start following without realizing that you are deviating from the faith.

Upvote 0

Llauralin

Senior Veteran
Mar 23, 2005
Prizren, Kosova
✟10,831.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This is interesting. I was once in an Orthodox Facebook group, because an acquaintance added me to it, and had to leave because they mostly chose the heard edged stuff to post, and I'm not really at a place where that's something I want to deal with, in general or on Facebook, but I didn't think it was necessarily wrong. Bishop Sava of Pittsburg has a really interesting Facebook feed, full of lively conversations and controversial articles, but people are mostly pretty respectful. It was all so interesting, in fact, that I ended up unsubscribing because I was too invested in what they were saying. They were controversial, but I think obviously so.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,470.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Other way around: leaving the Church and doing your own thing is a modern notion. In earlier times, people doing bad things had to be forcibly expelled from the Church.

Nowadays we don't forcibly expel anyone, even when they teach that Tradition/Church teaching is whatever one thinks it is. They stick around and cheerfully continue teaching it.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't think there's much you can do about it, other than not join the groups. I used to be part of a few, but they got boring, and the infighting was ridiculous. The other ones that have inquirers and such (non Orthodox) were just as bad. A problem with pride/arrogance in those groups. I got tired of it and left them months ago, and I wasn't posting in them anyway.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I really just enjoy my newsfeed. I have some monasteries, some Churches, ministries, a number of priests, some monastics, and some just all around great Orthodox folks that I follow or am friends with.

I've probably made a total of less than a dozen posts between all the groups, both asking and answering. But it rarely goes well.

Sometimes I see a particularly good response and I will send the person a friend request.

But mostly I enjoy FB for my newsfeed. I get plenty of great stuff there. I usually ignore the groups unless I'm bored.

Upvote 0