Vatican McDonalds to Feed Homeless

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I didn't say fast food. I said junk food.
OK, define "junk food" then, not to mention what you mean by "processed foods." Almost all food sold today is processed in some way.

Most poor people are not lazy. The poor people I know work 2-3 jobs.
The poor people you know is a very small sample size, but regardless, I meant lazy in terms of their diet/meal prep.

The chronic homeless
Now you're moving the goalposts. First you said "poor people," now you've changed it to "chronic homeless." Those are not interchangeable terms.

How ignorant you seem to be on this topic.
Said the pot.

fatty meats like hamburger and pork.
And there's Exhibit A. Hamburger and pork are hardly comparable in terms of fat. Regardless, meats are not a required part of a diet.

The cheapest drinks are sodas,
Exhibit B. Water is cheaper and far healthier.

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟928,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is awesome! I hope that maybe they can eventually start feeding the homeless every day.
Most restaurants feed the homeless whether they want to or not. It's called dumpster diving. But what this McDonald's is doing is much better.

• Agree
Reactions: Ave Maria
Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟106,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Most restaurants feed the homeless whether they want to or not. It's called dumpster diving. But what this McDonald's is doing is much better.

Yes, you are absolutely right. I guess I should state what I said in a different way. I wish that this restaurant, and all restaurants, would feed the homeless every day in a dignified manner.

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟928,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Before I got into inspections of production and quality control, I managed and supervised several McDonald's. We had regular homeless guys who would come in and pay for a cup of coffee with a crumpled dollar bill. We would routinely just comp the coffee, and give them a sandwich. One guy pulled out $100 bill and said 'I can afford it.' He also told me to keep the change 'floating.' I believe that might be the first example of 'suspended coffees.'

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
OK, define "junk food" then, not to mention what you mean by "processed foods." Almost all food sold today is processed in some way.
Not all. As I was saying, if you shop around the edge of the store and don't use the aisles, you get fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats, milk... I like to throw together a stir fry of vegetables and chicken.

Regardless, meats are not a required part of a diet.
Pound for pound, meat is the easiest source of protein. Dairy is another good source.

Water is cheaper and far healthier.
I certainly drink a lot of water, that and iced tea and a little milk for protein. But our culture has trained people that they need drinks, unfortunately. And so people load up on fructose, whether it is from sodas or juices or mixed drinks. Even wines and beers have non-nutritive carbs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I realize that the average food stamp budget won't cover fresh fruit, vegetables, and quality meat and fish, but perhaps if people on food stamps receive some free food--even if it is from McDonald's or, better yet, Panera--their food stamps will stretch far enough to allow them to make healthier choices.
I understand what you are saying.

But that said, why is it that my parish food bank actually requests all the worst foods and doesn't want the healthy foods? Because they are hard to store. Oy veh. Enough compassion to fill their stomachs but not enough compassion to keep them healthy.

The church sells Scrip. Why not just buy scrip and give the scrip to the hungry so that they can buy better foods than what the food bank can carry?

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Actually fast food is not cheap any more either. Might be cheaper to buy raw vegetables and eat them.
Oh, fast food is outrageously expensive. I was comparing real food to store-bought junk food like pasta, cereal, bread, soda, you know, things in boxes and cans.

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟928,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know where you shop but I can tell you fast food is much cheaper than that health food stuff. I always get off the dollar menu
Yeah, I didn't understand the "fast food is expensive" comment either.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't know where you shop but I can tell you fast food is much cheaper than that health food stuff. I always get off the dollar menu
I live in San Bernardino County, Southern California, and where I live we no longer have a dollar menu. Lucky you!

Gosh remember in the 70's when Kentucky Fried Chicken ran its "Corn and Cluck for under a buck" ad? That was heaven for a teen making minimum wage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums