Is Getting a Vasectomy a Sin? What Does the Bible Say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelpyHelperton

May 16, 2005
✟504.00
Faith
Christian
You are still being judgmental of their choices -- and you are judgeing me for judging. Is that all you have time to do? Judge others? (Noting your name: Is this how you "help"? By questioning other people's personal decisions?)
Pot, kettle ?

Is this how you would ''help'', by telling a suicidal woman to keep pushing out kids and God will take care of her?

Totally irresponsible.

God doesn't promise to keep you safe during an auto accident, but He DOES promise to BLESS with children. He says children are an unqualified blessing. How much brain power does it take to know that he knows best.
Wow, so you must intentionally NOT wear a seatbelt then.
Isnt that tempting God?

It has 'worked" for every person of faith in God I have ever met. God gave them PRECISELY the number of children He wanted to (0 - 15 in my experience) and they did JUST FINE without your criticism.

Hey, guess what?

EVERYONE IS NOT THEM !!!

Stop applying your rules blanketly to all Gods children.

I do have suicidal thoughts -- more like perplexed thoughts -- when I meet people claiming to trust God who cannot believe Him when He says something is a blessing.

Not all people feel that 15 kids are a blessing.
If you do great, but you are NO position to judge people who dont want 15 kids, or even ONE kid.

Upvote 0

AngelusSax

Believe
Apr 16, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟15,490.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you do great, but you are NO position to judge people who dont want 15 kids, or even ONE kid.

Just to add onto this statement here:

Isn't it possible that God moves some people to utilize b/c because He knows that having a gazillion kids isn't for them?

Some people are meant to have 15 kids. Some aren't meant to. Those that aren't meant to can, I believe, be moved to use some form of birth control that is pre-conception... I do not believe, of course, that God moves anyone to have an abortion as merely a method of post-conception birth control (just to make that abundantly clear)

Upvote 0

porcupine

Dec 5, 2003
✟1,363.00
Faith
Christian
HelpyHelperton said:
Pot, kettle ?

Is this how you would ''help'', by telling a suicidal woman to keep pushing out kids and God will take care of her?

Totally irresponsible.

Are you cetified to diagnose her concdition? Were you closer to her than her husband? Are you certifiable?

Wow, so you must intentionally NOT wear a seatbelt then.
Isnt that tempting God?

You don't read well. I was making the case that since God does not promise that kind of protection, it would be tempting God to go without the seatbelt. However it is not "tempting God" to let Him bless you.

Hey, guess what?

EVERYONE IS NOT THEM !!!

Stop applying your rules blanketly to all Gods children.

Anyone who is one of God's children should believe Him when HE says it is a blessing.

Anyone who believes what God says knows children are a blessing because HE said it. Somethimes we do not "feel" that way, but who are you going to believe, Oprah or God?

Please point out where I judged any of them.

Upvote 0

porcupine

Dec 5, 2003
✟1,363.00
Faith
Christian
AngelusSax said:
Just to add onto this statement here:

Isn't it possible that God moves some people to utilize b/c because He knows that having a gazillion kids isn't for them?

Some people are meant to have 15 kids. Some aren't meant to. Those that aren't meant to can, I believe, be moved to use some form of birth control that is pre-conception... I do not believe, of course, that God moves anyone to have an abortion as merely a method of post-conception birth control (just to make that abundantly clear)

Since Scripture makes it clear that it is God Who opens AND CLOSES the womb, He quite clearly can do that without our guesswork.

Upvote 0

AngelusSax

Believe
Apr 16, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟15,490.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Since Scripture makes it clear that it is God Who opens AND CLOSES the womb, He quite clearly can do that without our guesswork.

Scripture is also clear that the Holy Spirit fills us and talks to us. If the Spirit is moving us to use b/c, then it's not guesswork.

Upvote 0

porcupine

Dec 5, 2003
✟1,363.00
Faith
Christian
AngelusSax said:
Scripture is also clear that the Holy Spirit fills us and talks to us. If the Spirit is moving us to use b/c, then it's not guesswork.

It is a matter of, as they say in the law, prempting the field of jurisdiction. In other words, God has said specifically that HE controls this area, and that children are always His blessing. This means that the same God, speaking as the Holy Spirit, will not say that YOU control this area, and that a child is NOT a blessing.

Upvote 0
I

I'ddie4him

HelpyHelperton said:
Uh, anytime a fellow christian speaks to me in private about something like this, I tend to take it seriously.
Id have spoken to her husband about it, but Im sure he already knows.

So you think its ok for a man to insist his wife keep pushing out kids to the point of a mental breakdown or suicide, is that correct?

Have all the kids you want.
Just dont give me some bogus tripe line that God commanded all people to keep pushing out kids till their 90.

Keep helping your friends then, Butt into their personal lives and see what a mess you make of it by interfering with something a husband and wife need to discuss privately between them. I sure wouldn't seek out anyone to pry into my wifes and my business.

Upvote 0

invisible trousers

~*this post promotes non-nicene christianity*~
Apr 22, 2005
✟20,718.00
Faith
Non-Denom
HelpyHelperton said:
Niether do you.
If ''control'' is a sin, then in ANY form it presents itself, it IS sin.
Anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves.

No, you don't understand. I do not need scriptural justification. However, you certainly do. You are claiming something is a sin without any scriptural justification. Something cannot be a sin because you say so. Please cite the verses that say sexual activity without pregnancy is a sin.

porcupine said:
There are many instances in the Bible where people missed out on blessings because of their own lack of faith and unwillingness to follow God. One that immediately springs to mind is the 40 EXTRA years Israel spent meandering around in the desert because they would not enter the promised land when God told them to -- even after all the miracles. So your premise is wrong.

Good thing slipping on a condom is nothing like getting lost in the desert. (gah, so many prime opportunities for jokes with that line. must..contain..self...)

However, assuming your premise were correct, is it right to put obstacles in the way of God when He is trying to bless you?

How is it an obstacle? Nothing we can do is an obstacle to God. God's gonna make your wife pregnant if He decides and there is absolutely nothing any of us mortals can do about it. You have absolutely no scripture to justify birth control being a sin. I also like how you shift the definition and usage of the word "blessing". Sure, one can be "blessed" with children, but that doesn't mean that children are a "blessing" under every circumstance. Even though children can be a blessing, it makes no sense to purposely try to have kids when a couple isn't ready (for whatever reasons) to do so. Yeah you can argue "bububut God will provide for them" but that isn't a green light for your wife to start popping out babies. It's absolutely silly that having some responsibility and common sense regarding pregnancy can be considered a sin.

Upvote 0

sitebuilder

May 10, 2005
✟263.00
Faith
Non-Denom
WOW! This topic got heated, didn't it!

Listen, while most are talking hypothetically about this ... you are talking about MY life here. Where you may refer to this couple or that, I am the one actually right in the middle of this.

Before I share with you about the particulars of my belief, I want to make it clear that I don't think you can call b/c sin. I simply don't think the Bible, at least our NT, non-Mosaic law Bible, can clearly state that so a doctrine can be formed.

However, my wife and I, who just less than 3 weeks ago had our 7th child, believe very passionately in what we feel God has led us to. And we are always willing and open to discuss it with anyone who wants to know the "why" behind it.

I will admit that I was the one first convinced of this. For the first 5 years of our marriage, I very much planned the finances around everything, including our children to be. After we had the right income and the right house in the right area, I, as the authoritative and all-knowing husband gave the nod that we were "ready".

Little did we know how ready, because my wife got pregnant almost instantly. Days or weeks after our first was born (I was definitely not very much into babies) I was reading along in the word and noticed a particular part of the bible about how God "opened' the womb, and summarily "closed" the womb. And it seemed pretty clear he had control.

Further verses touched on a crude form of b/c, where the person was chastised for doings so. My mind also remembered Abraham and Sarah, how they were old yet still conceived because God made it happen.

For me, God opened up my eyes to the "control" that I greatly wanted to have ... but the control he wanted me to turn over to him. This goes for ALL form of b/c. If you want control, take it. The bible only speaks once to abstinence and that is in the NT where it says that only if you agree and only for prayer. Otherwise, your body is not your own ... for both the husband and the wife.

So we started allowing God to have control where now 10 years later we have 7 children.

In addition, I came to realize all the scriptures about children, and lots of them, were a blessing. That children are knit together in the womb by our God. And that even before they are born, God has already planned their days.

I suppose I could take control myself, and say that if we had another child that God just willed it. That to me is not really letting God in to your life in this area.

With all that goes on in our world, I believe (for me) that taking control of this part of my life is actually selfish. By using b/c I am saying that I (the created) knows better than God (the creator) when life should happen and when it should not. That by taking control, I worry much more about my comfort than I do about God's Kingdom on this world. I remember that even one person in the OT was killed for asserting his will through b/c.

Some might say that I am being irresponsible. How can I afford all these children? The house? The food? The college, cars, cloths ... the list goes on even if you only have one. However, God says that he already knows about these needs and that he knows when a sparrow falls from the sky ... so how much more will he love and care for me. Are we not much greater than these? So it takes some faith to walk this road.

God has always been true and I have never missed a meal ... even when I could stand to.

Just recently I had a little talk with God. Things appeared to be getting disparate. Bills were starting to go unpaid, the finances were incredibly tight. I had my doubts. But I shot up a prayer and simply ask that "God, if this is still your will ... I need some help here". At the time our 7th was 3 months away.

God answered ... by multiplying our income by 4. Yes, not just an increase ... but multiplying.

My wife and I are still forced to trust in God every day. We have a house where things are getting close quartered. We only have 1 bathroom. But again, God knows our needs and he will continue to provide as he has over the last 10 years.

No matter what side of the fence you are on know this: God can and does bless this in our lives and we don't regret for a moment our decision to be obedient to what God has shown to us.

Ok ... I am sure there are people ready to throw stones. Be my guest, I have thick skin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AngelusSax

Believe
Apr 16, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟15,490.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In other words, God has said specifically that HE controls this area, and that children are always His blessing. This means that the same God, speaking as the Holy Spirit, will not say that YOU control this area, and that a child is NOT a blessing.

Of course He won't say I control this area. But He can control it through my vasectomy if He leads me to have one. God uses people in ways other than what you think their life should be like, yanno.

Upvote 0

porcupine

Dec 5, 2003
✟1,363.00
Faith
Christian
invisible trousers said:
you do realize that nothing you can do could stop god, correct?

Not true.

There are many places in the Bible where the desire of God was thwarted by the decisions and lack of faith of men.

(BTW, I would find it insulting if someone did not capitalize the first letter in my mother's name, and I find it suspiciaous when someone claiming to be a Chrsitian does not capitialize the "G" in God.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

invisible trousers

~*this post promotes non-nicene christianity*~
Apr 22, 2005
✟20,718.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Do you always resort to insults when you run out of arguments? I don't care a single bit about how you think things should be capitalized. Lucky for me you're not an appropriate person to determine my relationship with Christ.

So you're telling me that (hypothetically) when you put on a condom and have sex with your wife god goes "oh snap I guess I can't get her pregnant! :( " ?

Once again, it's absolutely ridiculous to believe that humans can stop God from doing things. I guess this means that omnipotence does have limits, right?

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
porcupine said:
Not true.

There are many places in the Bible where the desire of God was thwarted by the decisions and lack of faith of men.

(BTW, I would find it insulting if someone did not capitalize the first letter in my mother's name, and I find it suspiciaous when someone claiming to be a Chrsitian does not capitialize the "G" in God.)

Like when?

And you sum up the sign of a Christian as being whether they capitalize 'G'? I always thought it had something to do with someone knowing Jesus. :doh:

Upvote 0

porcupine

Dec 5, 2003
✟1,363.00
Faith
Christian
Svt4Him said:
Like when?

Like when He wanted to get the children of Israel out of Egypt BEFORE the 40 years Moses had to run away and live in the desert. Like the time God wanted Israel to enter the Promised Land and they got scared and He had them wander around for 40 years. Like when He wanted Saul to be king. Like . . . do I really need to tell you every one? READ YOUR BIBLE!

And you sum up the sign of a Christian as being whether they capitalize 'G'? I always thought it had something to do with someone knowing Jesus. :doh:

You sure read a lot into what people say. I said I was "suspicious" -- suspicious because not capitalizing the first letter is a sign of disrespect in most people.

It has more to do with Jesus knowing YOU, not the other way around. Even the devils know Jesus (see the Gospels and Acts). Loving Jesus (and showing it by keeping His Word) is where the difference is. Loving Gpod includes showing the kind of reverence that would make you think it was appropraiate to capitalize His Name or any reference to Him.

Upvote 0

porcupine

Dec 5, 2003
✟1,363.00
Faith
Christian
invisible trousers said:
Do you always resort to insults when you run out of arguments? I don't care a single bit about how you think things should be capitalized. Lucky for me you're not an appropriate person to determine my relationship with Christ.

So you're telling me that (hypothetically) when you put on a condom and have sex with your wife god goes "oh snap I guess I can't get her pregnant! :( " ?

Once again, it's absolutely ridiculous to believe that humans can stop God from doing things. I guess this means that omnipotence does have limits, right?

I have followed your postings for some time now and as far as insults, you take a back seat to no one.

Omnipotence does have limits. First there is the limit of sin. God cannot lie. Nor can He do foolishness like make a rock so heavy He cannot lift it.

The next category is His self-imposed limits. He will not force you into the kingdom -- even though He WANTS you (and all men) to be there. I guess He says (in your mind), "Oh!" *snap* "I guess I can't get him saved." God will sometimes give you your own way if you don't want blessings. See my examples above.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.