Validity of Non RC Sacraments

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

Rising_Suns said:
And for Baptism;

Thanks a lot! I see that is certainly founded in Holy Tradition (which, I hope you know, is not problem with Lutherans), and the reasons behind the sacrificial nature of Eucharist mean that it is elevated to a clerical-only form, not that baptism is denegrated in extraordinary circumstances.

Granted, I think the denial of Protestant Eucharistic efficacy is just plain Donatism, but I'm really happy to understanding the reasoning.

Thanks all.

Upvote 0

Amylisa8

Mar 29, 2006
Northeast
✟15,419.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
And Donatism is...?:o Can you explain? I never heard of this before.

Did you guys know that Protestants don't believe that Baptism is neccessary for salvation? I didn't either, until I read in Peter where he spoke of "the water that saves you." I am just praying for His grace for my family. None of our children were baptized as infants. At my request my oldest daughter is being baptized this Sunday (at the Protestant church I attend with my husband and children). I very much want to have my youngest children baptized by my Priest, but he said that I should have my husband's agreement.

I know that God knows what He is doing....it is just not easy having a family in which I am the only Catholic. I do pray that my family will be Catholic also someday. The more I study, the more I see how much some of the core beliefs are so different between Catholicism and Protestantism. Although we all believe in Salvation through the Blood of Christ.

:blush: Yeshua~~~my Beloved

Upvote 0

DedicatedLittleFaith

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2006
Quebec,Canada
Visit site
✟28,906.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I know that God knows what He is doing....it is just not easy having a family in which I am the only Catholic. I do pray that my family will be Catholic also someday. The more I study, the more I see how much some of the core beliefs are so different between Catholicism and Protestantism. Although we all believe in Salvation through the Blood of Christ.

My prayers are with you. :crossrc:

I had the reverse problem: I had converted to Protestantism,,, and was the only protestant in the family. Of course, I am not yet married (will be soon though ;) ) and have no children of my own yet. This made things less complicated.

Have you spoken with your husband about this? When we got engaged, my husband-to-be (who is Catholic) and I had many hearts to hearts about how to grow in our faith. I felt it was important for the sake of our mariage and futur family to unite under one church (church in this sense meaning denomination)

At first, he decided we would continue attending the Evangelical church I was then attending.; and which he had been attending with me for almost a year. We had even started planning our wedding there. Some situations arose with our Pastor (difference of opinions), and he finally admitted to me he felt like a visitor there, not a member of the community.

On my side, I had been considering a return to the Catholic Church and had already started studying. In fact, this is exactly why I joined O.B.O.B. in the first place: I came with alot of questions and it was a most confusing time for me. Some people here, who helped me through all this and patiently answered all my questions, might remember this as it is recent (last Fall in fact).

All this to say that if you sit down with your husband and talk about it, and pray about it, you might be surprised. Things might change, or they might not. However, he would perhaps have a better understanding of how you feel and if he does not wish to convert,,, he might still try to meet you half way ;)

Upvote 0

Amylisa8

Mar 29, 2006
Northeast
✟15,419.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, DedicatedLittleFaith. I am happy for you that you're getting married!

Well, my husband was actually raised Catholic. But he didn't have any personal faith, and he feels it was Christians of the Protestant faith who gave that to him, when he was in his early 20's, when he first met me. So to him, the Catholic Church is something he left behind. He couldn't understand at all why I would be interested in it. It all started for me when God gave me faith in Jesus' Real Presence in The Eucharist. Then it took about 2 years until I finally became Catholic. Long story! But I am SO happy.

I do think being of one faith is the best, of course. I just have to wait and see what God has planned. One of my Priests said my husband is still Catholic! ;) Since he was baptized as one. So hopefully, one day he will be back. He does have strong faith in Christ and is a good Christian man. I am very thankful for that. We have been married for over 20 years, so it troubles him that I have changed. I try not to make an issue of it. All I can do is pray and show love in everything.

:blush: Yeshua~~~my Beloved

Upvote 0

ScottBot

Revolutionary
May 2, 2005
a state of desperation
✟57,712.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Does the RCC recognize the Sacraments of other denominations as being valid?
All of the Orthodox have valid lines of Apostolic Succession, therefore their sacraments are all considered valid.

Upvote 0

Globalnomad

Senior Veteran
Apr 2, 2005
Change countries every three years
✟16,257.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
But we do not generally recognize Roman Catholic sacraments. Although if a Roman Catholic converts to Orthodoxy, some churches (mainly the Greek Churches) will not re-baptize him or her, but receive him or her by Chrismation.

Which is my biggest peeve with Orthodoxy. Chrismation = Confirmation; a Catholic who has received Confirmation is validly Chrismated. To ask him to be Chrismated again denies the validity of Catholic sacraments every bit as effectively as asking him to be re-baptized.

I have expressed this problem to many Orthodox before this, but I had the feeling that none of them understood or even cared.... Can YOU explain this rule, MA? I may not like your answer, but at least I would understand the position...

Upvote 0

DedicatedLittleFaith

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2006
Quebec,Canada
Visit site
✟28,906.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, DedicatedLittleFaith. I am happy for you that you're getting married!

Thank you. We are getting married on May 19th of this year :clap:

Well, my husband was actually raised Catholic. But he didn't have any personal faith, and he feels it was Christians of the Protestant faith who gave that to him, when he was in his early 20's, when he first met me. So to him, the Catholic Church is something he left behind. He couldn't understand at all why I would be interested in it. It all started for me when God gave me faith in Jesus' Real Presence in The Eucharist. Then it took about 2 years until I finally became Catholic. Long story! But I am SO happy.

Ah so he is in somewhat the same boat I was. I too was raised Catholic. I was a very devout one too,, until I met some protestant and had many discussions. (long story)

I do think being of one faith is the best, of course. I just have to wait and see what God has planned. One of my Priests said my husband is still Catholic! ;) Since he was baptized as one. So hopefully, one day he will be back. He does have strong faith in Christ and is a good Christian man. I am very thankful for that. We have been married for over 20 years, so it troubles him that I have changed. I try not to make an issue of it. All I can do is pray and show love in everything.

My priest (who also happens to be a good friend of mine) told me the exact same thing when I met with him upon my decision to revert.

As for your mariage, if you hold true to each other your mariage will be strong weither he reverts or not. I have good friends who are in an inter-denominational mariage (she is Catholic and he is Protestant) and they make it work through respect and understanding of each other. :)

Upvote 0

IgnatiusOfAntioch

Contributor
May 3, 2005
Visit site
✟23,767.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
What I would really like to know is, which Churches does the RCC consider to have a true Holy Eucharist?

The Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, SSPX, and Polish National Church and a few others who have valid Episcopal ordination.

Upvote 0

ScottBot

Revolutionary
May 2, 2005
a state of desperation
✟57,712.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, SSPX, and Polish National Church and a few others who have valid Episcopal ordination.
It should be noted that while they are valid, receiving sacraments from these groups in normally considered illicit.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.