✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Utah lawmakers vote to become only state to allow firing squad | Fox News

Personally, I don't understand why they can't figure out the best and surest lethal cocktail they can with meds today.
But if they can't find a "humane" lethal cocktail to inject into a person,
they can return to ways of the past.

Of course, you let the condemned sit in jail testing out various illegal cocktails to entertain themselves, is it any wonder the body can tolerate so many medicines?
Simply have in the machine enough of all medicines to kill ten men each, and infuse them until the person succombs. Then refill the bottles for the next one. (what, are we afraid they will get some illness from sharing a bottle of lethal injection?)

IMHO the best, fastest and most sure way to execute someone is the guillotine. Maybe line the basket with pictures of the condemned's victims, so the last thing they see is the face of their victim.

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Personally, I don't understand why they can't figure out the best and surest lethal cocktail they can with meds today.

The largest problem with lethal injection is that the drug suppliers are refusing to be involved at this point and in my state Doctors are refusing to participate in the executions.

Upvote 0

A Sock Puppet

Mar 7, 2015
✟7,631.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Personally, I don't know why we do not abandon the barbaric use of capital punishment. You are taking someone's life at the end of the day, so I don't see how anyone can claim moral immunity. Many of us complain about Iran or Saudi Arabia, but we support the right of the state to kill people also.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
We must shoot you to show you how killing people is wrong.
No, We must shoot you to show others what happens to people that kill without permission, but usually with premeditation.

Of course, it loses most of its power to change people, because it takes to long to execute them. 20+ yrs, everyone forgot the savagery and emotions felt at the murder and see some poor prisoner as the victim.

Executions should happen within 10 yrs of conviction, with manditory review by two other courts or appeals. Rather then an endless appeal of every possible question of the case.

Also I believe in a DP case, if the Prosecutor conceals any evidence that could sway the case, he should face charges. Prosecutors should see their job as seeking justice, not as conviction percentages or how many people he can get convictions for DP cases. If the evidence that could sway the case and was concealed is discovered after the execution the prosecutor should face a murder charge. If it clear cut, even capital murder.
We want justice for the worst of murders, not just someone to die for the murders.

If the prosecutor has doubts, they should not seek DP.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If are looking at hypothetical execution methods I would recommend nobel gas asphyxiation. Pump a room full of argon and whomever is in it falls down unconscious without any forewarning and they die shortly there after. I suspect that similar supply issues would come up with this because I doubt Airgas or other major suppliers would want the headache of being associated with a contentious political issue.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,973.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
No, We must shoot you to show others what happens to people that kill without permission, but usually with premeditation.

Of course, it loses most of its power to change people, because it takes to long to execute them. 20+ yrs, everyone forgot the savagery and emotions felt at the murder and see some poor prisoner as the victim.

Executions should happen within 10 yrs of conviction, with manditory review by two other courts or appeals. Rather then an endless appeal of every possible question of the case.

What effect do you believe this will have? Does the fact that there have been several cases recently in which exculpatory evidence has shown people to be innocent 20+ years after they are convicted give you pause?

Also I believe in a DP case, if the Prosecutor conceals any evidence that could sway the case, he should face charges. Prosecutors should see their job as seeking justice, not as conviction percentages or how many people he can get convictions for DP cases. If the evidence that could sway the case and was concealed is discovered after the execution the prosecutor should face a murder charge. If it clear cut, even capital murder.
We want justice for the worst of murders, not just someone to die for the murders.

If the prosecutor has doubts, they should not seek DP.

Cool. Let me know when you have successfully changed either human nature or implemented a hiring practice that will ensure we only get those prosecutors who make no mistakes.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A full reading of the article reveals a bit of a different story.

The new law would keep lethal injection as the primary means of execution and the firing squad would be available in the event that the state could not get the necessary drugs to conduct an execution.

THE STATE DOES NOT HAVE ANY SUCH DRUGS ON HAND CURRENTLY AND WOULD HAVE TO OBTAIN THEM IN THE EVENT AN EXECUTION IS SCHEDULED.

Utah has not conducted an execution since 2010. The method of that execution was, guess what, a firing squad.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think people all ready get they could get the death penalty or life in prison. I'm sure these people don't want either. I doubt shooting, hanging people will do nothing more then kill people. Some people are innocent and some are guilty. For the fact that some innocent people are found guilty and sit in prison for 20,30 years. Makes me thing death penalty, firing squad or any killing murders are wrong.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Personally, I don't know why we do not abandon the barbaric use of capital punishment. .....

Because laws and the justice system are a reflection of a society's moral character.

And most people desire vengeance for the wrongful death of a loved one, and that desired vengeance is most often in the form of capital punishment.

I find that people who feel enlightened beyond the need for the use of such a barbaric code of punishment often have logical inconsistencies when it relates to life, life and death decisions, and punishment.

The brutal truth is that we make decisions that determine whether someone lives or dies every single day. We drive pass the starving raggedly dressed homeless person in the dead of winter without a second thought. We demand our politicians send our military to drop bombs on people in some distant land. We change the channel whenever one of those "please help the starving children" commercials come on.

My point is simply it is a red herring that we think we don't have the power to decide the life and death of others. Truth is, we do it all the time, every day through direct and indirect actions.

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
The brutal truth is that we make decisions that determine whether someone lives or dies every single day. We drive pass the starving raggedly dressed homeless person in the dead of winter without a second thought. We demand our politicians send our military to drop bombs on people in some distant land. We change the channel whenever one of those "please help the starving children" commercials come on.
Speak for yourself; you don't speak for everyone, to say the least. I've not done any of those things, for one. And it's not a valid analogy or even relevant anyway. We're talking about a punishment fitting a crime and whether capital punishment is ever merited.

Anyway, back to the actual thread topic.....

I don't see the skittishness with the firing squad vs other methods (mostly lethal injection now, I think). It's actually quicker.

Upvote 0