Utah issues same-sex marriage licenses.

Damaris

May 15, 2015
✟8,728.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
@Damaris,please read what I and others have said here and check out the link I provided at the St James house. I nor anyone else here is suggesting we go out into the woods and form a cult. Please read before making such silly assumptions thank you

I said "cult-like", not cult. You seem to be the one having reading difficulties and making assumptions.

When a bunch of people from the same church start buying houses and tracts of land, it does look like a cult, whether it fits that definition or not. There's a well known fringe Mormon group that took over a handful of towns in the Southwest and made life very difficult for anyone who wasn't part of their sect. Also, the Orthodox Church is not immune to the real phenomenon of personality cults. I personally wouldn't take the risk in an Orthodox community, unless persecution made it impossible to live an Orthodox life outside of one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This is the chief reason I regret becoming a parent. I do the best I can with my son but I will NEVER have another child, nor will I ever adopt one or even serve as godparent to one.

I'm basically the same. I'm a godparent to my nephew but turn down all other requests to be a sponsor. I wouldn't mind having kids but I also see how it's a blessing in disguise. I actually only feel bad for my dad, he likes kids and was hoping for many grandkids in his latter years, but it's not going as planned.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,470.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think it's wrong for us to say "I will NEVER...". It may seem like a cross to us. If it really is the torture of a cross, then we should accept the martyrdom. But with children, I think it means only that we must give up our own ideas of what we were going to do with our "freedom from children" and discover the beginnings of heaven in the children we have been surprised with, and whom we must become like if we are to enter the kingdom of heaven.

So "choosing to be "childfree""; that is, deliberately avoiding children (as opposed to choosing a path of monasticism) is really choosing self, choosing hell, choosing oneself over what God would otherwise surprise us with (which is the beginnings of hell).

Circumstances may prevent us from having children. We may not be able to have children or may not even be able to find a wife. But that is an entirely difficult kettle of fish from the modern attitude that teaches us to see children as a burden rather than a blessing.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Rus,

I definitely agree, but most religious people now realize that they cant instill in their kids their values.

In all likelihood they will reject those values in later years, or you can cause them psychological harm, although the harm will be from the secularists but you will get the blame both by society and your kids. The reason is as people of faith we are no longer the mainstream. Our values may have been the norm 40 years ago but today there radical. Those kids will have a difficult time balancing what they see and what their taught by the predominant secular world to the traditions of the Church.

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I disagree in that we will cause kids psychological harm to raise them with moral standards strict orthodox than the society does...I simply do not care if society will reject their beliefs ....Society can go and live their lifestyle and I will mine ;) I know it is struggle not to be "mainstream" my daughter tells me that she is probably strange to be a senior in High school and she has like friends she counts in one hand and no boyfriend but I know that she will come through this and "scars" are only temporary in the final senarios of her life. Yes it is hard now but thinking of the spiritual benefits she has accumulated in her teen age years makes me believe that she is strong to deal with what is coming through college years....

I see most of our GA youth has still a well founded faith based lives. I am proud of our Goya and our YAL where I live. Yes there is a bigger divorce rate among our communities :( that is true compared to the last generation but still lots of good kids and young adults and nice families :)

The secular world was always there never stopped being there from the times of the beginning of Christianity. There was prostitution (big time for sure in Corinth) and all over the known world. Rome, Alexandria, Antioch not too good of place to raise a family I am sure... It is up to our communities to sustain our faith and our youth and value system. It will get harder to do so for sure the antichrist will seem to be winning but we have to think positive and believe that God will never abandon his children :)

If we think it is hard time to have kids thinking about my grandkids make me shiver but life goes on and we trust God will provide for us :)

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am dubious of the compounded life, but I would risk it anyway. I have already lost my older son and am losing my older daughter, despite our serious attitude toward the Faith.

I heard that it is tough to bring up kids in the country you are at .... Rus I am sorry you are in my prayers :( :hug::hug::hug::liturgy::liturgy::liturgy:

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Secular humanism is RAMPANT and atheism, it's twin brother and best friend, are gaining more steam by the minute. At my school, we have this office manager (cheaper than having a VP at a school, so another corner-cutting special by our district) who is a SWEETHEART. She is Mennonite, very religious, and honestly if you had to judge a woman's Christianity by her actions, integrity, honesty, professionalism, and sweetness, Laurie would win over just about everyone I know. So gentle, kind, and yet very convicted in her Protestant faith. She has this BEAUTIFUL family, a pastor for a husband, really grounded bunch.....and yet one of her sons who is now a Yale graduate is a confirmed ATHEIST.....She prays for him and is very calm about it outwardly, but I think she's wounded deeply by it. She asks me to pray for Scott (my namesake), her atheist son, all the time. And I do.

It's incredible what being surrounded by evolution talk, hardcore sex, the LGBT brainwashing, worship of science, propaganda, and the perceived inevitability of a triumphant secular humanist religion can do to people. Despair is easy to get into. Fortunately I'm stubborn for Christ. :crosseo: And He's even MORE stubborn to keep me! thanks be to God!

I am dubious of the compounded life, but I would risk it anyway. I have already lost my older son and am losing my older daughter, despite our serious attitude toward the Faith.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oddly enough, I think it's actually a tad easier in Rus's country than here in the States! At least Orthodoxy is respected socially there and homosexuality is still fairly taboo and disrespected. There are still at least some religious sentiments and pride in it to some degree. Here in the States religion is nominal at best by most and shunned and fought at worst.

I heard that it is tough to bring up kids in the country you are at .... Rus I am sorry you are in my prayers :( :hug::hug::hug::liturgy::liturgy::liturgy:

Upvote 0

rusmeister

Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,470.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oddly enough, I think it's actually a tad easier in Rus's country than here in the States! At least Orthodoxy is respected socially there and homosexuality is still fairly taboo and disrespected. There are still at least some religious sentiments and pride in it to some degree. Here in the States religion is nominal at best by most and shunned and fought at worst.

Well, there's my native country and my adopted country. I love both and want what's best for both.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,470.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Thank you very much! It is much appreciated!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

inconsequential

goat who dreamed he was a sheep
Mar 28, 2010
✟9,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think it's wrong for us to say "I will NEVER...". It may seem like a cross to us. If it really is the torture of a cross, then we should accept the martyrdom. But with children, I think it means only that we must give up our own ideas of what we were going to do with our "freedom from children" and discover the beginnings of heaven in the children we have been surprised with, and whom we must become like if we are to enter the kingdom of heaven.

So "choosing to be "childfree""; that is, deliberately avoiding children (as opposed to choosing a path of monasticism) is really choosing self, choosing hell, choosing oneself over what God would otherwise surprise us with (which is the beginnings of hell).

Circumstances may prevent us from having children. We may not be able to have children or may not even be able to find a wife. But that is an entirely difficult kettle of fish from the modern attitude that teaches us to see children as a burden rather than a blessing.

I'm not sure if you are responding to my post or speaking about an entirely different set of people (child-free and proud types). For me, it has nothing to do with wanting to pursue dreams or "do my own thing". I never knew it was possible to love someone so much before I had a child. Now, I have to fight an uphill, possibly unwinnable, battle against a corrupt world for the soul of my son.

I'm not shirking my responsibility, I'll fight tooth and nail for him, I'm just expressing regret for not choosing a lighter cross.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I disagree in that we will cause kids psychological harm to raise them with moral standards strict orthodox than the society does

Hello Philothei, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Its true that society is the cause of the harm but ultimately the blame will go to the strict Orthodox upbringing. Gurney spoke of the Mennonite woman whose son is an atheist. That's precisely who lead the propaganda, all those that have rejected the values of their youth to embrace secular humanism and they are many. They lead the pack into bashing us.

I see most of our GA youth has still a well founded faith based lives. I am proud of our Goya and our YAL where I live. Yes there is a bigger divorce rate among our communities :( that is true compared to the last generation but still lots of good kids and young adults and nice families :)

Yes, its one of the few areas I believe the GOA excels in. In keeping the youth. The problem is after high school when they stop going to church. Greeks are highly secular and I think many older folks don't really know the secret social lives of their kids.
When we speak of a person that has 'morals' whose definition are we using? The majority of Christians believe being moral means planting a tree to save the earth and being a serial monogamist except in your college years when your exempt in order to sow your oats. Even our understanding of morality has been given to us by the secularists which we gladly have adopted because we are those secularists. Marriage used to be in order to form a family, today its marrying a 30 or 40 something to make her an 'honest woman' whose past indescretions become erased in the eyes of her parents.

The secular world was always there never stopped being there from the times of the beginning of Christianity. There was prostitution (big time for sure in Corinth) and all over the known world. Rome, Alexandria, Antioch not too good of place to raise a family I am sure... It is up to our communities to sustain our faith and our youth and value system. It will get harder to do so for sure the antichrist will seem to be winning but we have to think positive and believe that God will never abandon his children :)

We don't have to look that far. In most Christian countries prostitution is legal, the difference now is that Christians accept it as mainstream. I just came back from Greece, driving around with my cousin I passed a few buildings with huge neon signs that read; "STUDIO", "STUDIO 66", "STUDIO XX", etc.

Not remembering this 'brand' last time I was there, I was wondering what kind of stores they were, whether a franchise a chain of clubs, motels, spas etc. He informed me they were the new more upscale brothels replacing those that simply had a red light bulb above the doorway. But of course who are we to criticize? A woman has a right to do whatever she likes with her body, im sure the unhappily married men are glad to hear that.

If we think it is hard time to have kids thinking about my grandkids make me shiver but life goes on and we trust God will provide for us :)
[/QUOTE]
Agreed.

Reactions: Philothei
Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I disagree in that we will cause kids psychological harm to raise them with moral standards strict orthodox than the society does...I simply do not care if society will reject their beliefs ....Society can go and live their lifestyle and I will mine ;) I know it is struggle not to be "mainstream" my daughter tells me that she is probably strange to be a senior in High school and she has like friends she counts in one hand and no boyfriend but I know that she will come through this and "scars" are only temporary in the final senarios of her life. Yes it is hard now but thinking of the spiritual benefits she has accumulated in her teen age years makes me believe that she is strong to deal with what is coming through college years....

:amen: I agree with you and Rus.

Upvote 0