✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
Where are all those "bird flu" people? Remember when the bird flu was going to wipe out half the population?

I don't know why I am even saying this, but...

Last I checked, the bird flu was still very lethal, just very few people got it.

As to something being a epidemic or pandemic, that is not based on how bad the symptoms of a sickness are, even though the media tries to play it that way (gets more ratings).

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Avian flu has something like a 20-50% mortality rate; however, it is only transmittable from infected birds to humans rather than human to human. I must admit, it is troublesome that this new strain of influenza is so severely affecting and killing a younger age bracket than seasonal flu. Although, one must take a step back and realize that there is still an unusually high number of seasonal flu going around and most people do not visit the doctor. I had the flu several times as a child and once as an adult. Only once did it require medical attention, because (being a silly smoker) I developed bronchitis. All it took was a round of antibiotics and I was fine.

Anyway, if you figure that there could be three times as many people actually infected with swine flu than what's being tested and confirmed and only ten deaths in over three months (as I believe the first suspected case was actually in California at the end of February or early-March) then we're not doing so terribly.

What boggles my mind is the young man in Utah. Granted, news reports say he was in "poor health", but that he was rushed to the hospital when he began vomiting blood. The flu doesn't make you throw up blood.

Upvote 0

interpreter

Mar 4, 2004
Texas
✟7,377.00
Faith
Anglican
The swine flu is part of last plague # 5:

"Then the fifth angel poured out his bowl on the throne of the beast, and his kingdom became full of darkness; and they gnawed their tongues because of the pain. They blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, and did not repent of their deeds. (Revelation 16:10-11)

Upvote 0

Panzerkamfwagen

Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.
May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

"Then the fifth angel poured out his bowl on the throne of the beast, and his kingdom became full of darkness; and they gnawed their tongues because of the pain. They blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, and did not repent of their deeds. (Revelation 16:10-11)

It doesn't seem like much of a plague.

Upvote 0

MichaelFJF

Nov 13, 2002
Utah
✟12,597.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
It's the flu. 300,000 people worldwide die every year from the flu. And no matter how much some would like to blow me off, the bird flu was supposed to kill hundreds of millions - at least according to the fear mongers on this board.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's the flu. 300,000 people worldwide die every year from the flu.
But how many people in the US die from the flu every year?I think for some reason this is being down played to keep people from worrying.Of course I hope I'm wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MichaelFJF

Nov 13, 2002
Utah
✟12,597.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
But how many people in the US die from the flu every year?I think for some reason this is being down played to keep people from worrying.Of course I hope I'm wrong.
30,000-50,000. Every year....from the regular old run-of-the-mill flu. It really is just the flu.

Upvote 0
F

Flibbertigibbet

An average of 36,000 die annually, in the U.S., from human influenza.

The concern regarding this particular flu strain, swine/human hybrid, is that it may flare up in a major way during normal flu season which is in the fall.

As I understand it, hybrid flus create a much more intense immune response within the bodies of younger, healthier people which can cause serious problems. If it's not a widespread illness, then there are plenty of necessary respirators and other medical equipment for treatment of the very ill. However, if it IS widespread there may not be enough available lifesaving equipment for everyone who needs it. THAT is the big concern of WHO and the CDC.

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I don't think it's really been downplayed. If anything the media blew the whole thing way out of proportion in the beginning. Now, I do believe that there are a lot more people afflicted with the virus (although I believe the touted "hundred-thousand or more in the US alone" estimate is a bit lofty) than the CDC is reporting, especially since a lot of states are no longer testing every single case - only the most severe ones. Also, a lot of people don't go to the doctor when they're sick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Mercy Medical

May 1, 2009
✟15,701.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

I certainly hope you're not serious...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums