1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

usernames here

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by icedtea, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icedtea

icedtea New Member Supporter

Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Some of your usernames. Are they Greek or Latin? I know what Philothei means, but what of the others? Where can I find translations.
    Thanks

2. Photios

Photios Veteran

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    Photios, asfaik, would roughly be translated as "enlightened one" (interesting that it's the same as Prince Guatauma's title), but I use it purely cause it's my saint name.

3. icedtea

icedtea New Member Supporter

Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Do you pick your saint name? How many are there to choose from? Some have regulation names, such as Elizabeth.

4. Photios

Photios Veteran

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    I picked mine, but sometimes the priest picks, and there are millions of saints, so it's a pretty large array. Those regular names are often also saint names, such as Jacob and Elizabeth.

5. E.C.

E.C. Active Member

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    Constantine was the Roman emperor who legalized Christianity, made it the state religion and sent his mother, Helena, to the Holy Land to find Christ's cross (which was a success!) and she also had many cathedrals built there. He is also my saint!

I was going to go with just Constantine, but it was taken. :(

I didn't realize that I could have spelled it somewhat Slavic style as Konstantine!

6. DavidBryan

DavidBryan El indigno siervo de Dios, el lector David

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    David. It's Hebrew, as in the King, means beloved. He's my patron saint.

Bryan. It's Irish--no direct link with a saint, though there is a possible link with a Brioc somewhere along the line--means strong one.

7. Akathist

Akathist Theology Team Supporter

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    Akathist means "standing" such as "standing in prayer" or more accurately, "a prayer one stands for".

About Saint's. Converts often pick their own. I chose Xenia of Rome because she is honored within a month of my birthday and because when I read about her I felt a connection.

Over time, St. Xenia of St. Petersburg is someone I have also felt a strong connection to as well.

It was frustrating when I was first looking at Saints names, for I felt a strong connnection to "St. Nectarious of Aegina" but couldn't figure out a feminine version of his name. I ask him daily for his intercessions even though I didn't take his name.

So, I am the "handmaiden of the Lord, Xenia" when I receive the Eucharist. I wish more people in my life would call me "Xenia" but most people just can't seem to remember, or even don't want to call me by my Christian name.

8. NyssaTheHobbit

NyssaTheHobbit Orthodox Christian (chrismation date 1/10/09)

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
  9. gzt

gzt The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    "gzt" is a few letters of the alphabet. hope that helps.

10. Anatole

Anatole Senior Member

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    My patron saint is St. Anna , mother of the Most Holy Theotokos. I picked her because my husband and I were married on July 25, and that's the Repose of St. Anna. The way I picked my CF name was, I first put Anna as my username, but someone already had it. So I decided to look at my fasting and saint calendar book and whatever saint name I saw first, I would pick that saint. So St. Anatole is now my CF saint. If anyone knows anything about him I'd love to know his story. His commemoration day is April 26.

11. ufonium2

ufonium2 Seriously, stop killing kids.

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    Akathist, I know a nun named Nektaria.

I play the euphonium. So ufonium is my hooked-on-phonics version of that. The word "euphonium" is actually Greek (means "nice sound") but I doubt I was one of the Greek names alluded to by the OP.

As far as saints go, mine is Angelina, but my name is the anglicized version, "Angeline." It's a family name, brought from the old country (Alabama :) ). It should be noted that some parishes are much more into saint's names than others. At my parish, nobody is called by their saint's name, unless it happens to be the name they go by normally. In fact, on our annual directory update forms where we put birthdays, anniversaries, etc., after the "name" blank there's a thing that says, "Saint's name (if known)___________." But I've been to parishes where everyone went by their saint's name, so there's lots of variance.

12. Rowan

Rowan You are my brethren ♥

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    I named my CF character after a tree :)

13. RobNJ

RobNJ Senior Contributor

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    RobNJ

My first name & location ;)

14. Michael G

Michael G Abe Frohmann

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    Michael the Iconographer=I am Michael, and I am an iconographer.

15. Mary of Bethany

Mary of Bethany Only one thing is needful.

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    In our parish, we generally use baptism names, but we have a Subdeacon with a rather long Saint's name, and his "real" name is Bob, so . . . . . . he's rarely called by his proper Orthodox name. :p

mary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.