Dec 29, 2013
✟347,182.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I spent some time as an inquirer into Orthodoxy, though I was never a formal catechumen. I came to really love the Byzantine Rite. The question I have about it is why is that the only form of worship allowed in Orthodoxy? Yes I know about the WR liturgies, but things I've read seem to indicate that many who are part of the Byzantne Rite don't consider that to be true Orthodoxy. With all the diversity of practice in the early church, why so much focus on the rite that was followed in one see?

buzuxi

Nov 25, 2003
Visit site
✟2,265.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
The modern day diversity argument is just that modern as we like all things pluralistic.

The Byzantine rite are those that adhere to the liturgical services of the imperial church. These were the greek speakers and thus looked towards the capital city for clergy, support and direction during and after the schisms and various arab conquests. Alexandria for instance became a tiny fledgling community of greeks, that looked towards the capital to be sustained, in the 10th century a large bedouin tribe converted to the byzantine church when a section of that region was captured by the byzantines. This obviously required orthodox evangelism of which was supplied by the imperial church of whom were only familiar with the DL of St John Chrysostom.

Most in the Antiochan Church were muslims whom converted back to christianity in the 10th century after the byzantines recaptured (arab) lands (969-1085). Obviously it was missionaries from Constantinople that re-evangelized them and supplied priests to this area, etc.

Regardless of what anyone says this is for the best. Diversity is a modern construct which is detrimental to the Church. Its precisely because all of Orthodoxy uses the same so called 'byzantine rite' that there is an Antiochan Church today. After the unia apostacy of 1724 the few remaining Orthodox christians were allowed to appeal to Constantinople to give them a bishop. It was under greek bishops from Mt Athos (who only knew the byzantine rite) that saved the Church in Antioch. Slowly many returned back to Orthodoxy and today the Antiochans are the largest christian church in Syria.

Also the byzantine rite encompasses many services and 'rites'. The Liturgy of St Basil the Great is celebrated 10 times a year. The Liturgy of the Pre-Sanctified gifts was written by Pope Gregory the Great. The Liturgy of St James is celebrated once a year in Jerusalem and on the island of Kerkyra from time imemorable. Any Synod can decide to celebrate the Liturgy of St James and St Mark on their feast days. Then theres the various services celebrated through out the liturgical cycle. It is this Byzantine Liturgical cycle alone that has preserved the fullness of the catholic faith. It is the very vehicle which passes down from one generation to the next the complete deposit of faith.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cappadocious

Sep 29, 2012
✟30,661.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
With all the diversity of practice in the early church, why so much focus on the rite that was followed in one see?

Historical circumstance, is all. there's nothing wrong with the Alexandrine rite or the Roman rite as such. And the Constantinopolitan rite (Byzantine rite) is an Antiochene rite IIRC.

Upvote 0

buzuxi

Nov 25, 2003
Visit site
✟2,265.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
And the Constantinopolitan rite (Byzantine rite) is an Antiochene rite IIRC.

This is a good point. St John Chrysostom was a native of Antioch and an ordained priest of Antioch. It is he who is considered the Father of the byzantine rite. Proclus of Constantinople under whom the Trisagion entered the Liturgy was the student of St John Chrysostom. St. Flavian the Martyr was a presbyter of the Cathedral under Proclus and succeeded him as patriarch during the Eutychian controversy. Flavian simply upheld antiochan theology of the two natures.

Even before that Antioch was influential in Constantinople, Nestorius was an Antiochan, Gregory of Nazianzen was elected by the Antiochan synod under Meletios to go into Constantinople to preach Nicene trinitarianism etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
well since it's there are Western Rite Orthodox, and the liturgy of St Tikhon was written by a saint, the Eastern Rite is not the only one allowed. it is more common I think because a) it works and b) there seems to be a more focus on mystical experience of God. the Western Rite just felt like it was edited to be correct on paper, if that makes any sense.

at least this is what I take since I have been to both.

Upvote 0