Veteran
Mar 23, 2007
New Jersey
✟8,999.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Single
READ IT AND WEEP. MANY OF US ON THIS THREAD CONSISTENTLY POSTED ARTICLES AGAINST EXODUS INTERNATIONAL, SO IT'S ONLY FITTING THAT THIS GETS POSTED TODAY.....

Ex-leaders of ministry to change gays apologize

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Three former leaders of a ministry that counsels gays to change their sexual orientation apologized, saying although they acted sincerely, their message had caused isolation, shame and fear.
The former leaders of the interdenominational Christian organization Exodus International said Wednesday they had become disillusioned with promoting gay conversion.
"Some who heard our message were compelled to try to change an integral part of themselves, bringing harm to themselves and their families," the three said in a statement released outside the Los Angeles Gay & Lesbian Center.
The statement was from former Exodus co-founder Michael Bussee, who left the group in 1979, Jeremy Marks, former president of Exodus International Europe, and Darlene Bogle, the founder of Paraklete Ministries, an Exodus referral agency.
The statement coincided with the opening of Exodus' annual conference, which is being held this week at Concordia University in Irvine.
FIND MORE STORIES IN: Gay | Exodus | Christian organization
Exodus' president, Alan Chambers, said the ministry's methods have helped many people, including himself.
"Exodus is here for people who want an alternative to homosexuality," Chambers said by phone. "There are thousands of people like me who have overcome this. I think there's room for more than one opinion on this subject, and giving people options isn't dangerous."
Founded in 1976, the Orlando-based Exodus has grown to include more than 120 ministries in the United States and Canada and over 150 ministries overseas. It promotes "freedom from homosexuality" through prayer, counseling and group therapy.

UnitedInChrist

Veteran
Mar 23, 2007
New Jersey
✟8,999.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Single
Ok so you have one person who left the group in the 70's quoted. Good for you.
Not that I put much weight on USATODAY reporting..but at least READ it. "One person"?? Try the COFOUNDER of the organization...as well as the former PRESIDENT OF EXODUS EUROPE, and also a leader of a so called "ministry". So while only three...fine..but just three more on a list that just is never ending. Again...doesn't mean anything to you anyway. Now, sign off ,a nd come on under your other name so we can think there are a few more of you out there...

Upvote 0

ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Not that I put much weight on USATODAY reporting..but at least READ it. "One person"?? Try the COFOUNDER of the organization...as well as the former PRESIDENT OF EXODUS EUROPE, and also a leader of a so called "ministry". So while only three...fine..but just three more on a list that just is never ending. Again...doesn't mean anything to you anyway. Now, sign off ,a nd come on under your other name so we can think there are a few more of you out there...
assuming the media portrays the story accurately

You're talking about something that happen such a long time ago. Obviously he wasn't really into the organization. And it would be nice if you didn't accuse my falsely. How about some proof of my "other accounts"? Man you gay advocates will say anything to keep your sin.

Upvote 0

UnitedInChrist

Veteran
Mar 23, 2007
New Jersey
✟8,999.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Single

You're talking about something that happen such a long time ago. Obviously he wasn't really into the organization. And it would be nice if you didn't accuse my falsely. How about some proof of my "other accounts"? Man you gay advocates will say anything to keep your sin.
Dude, I am not talking about something that happened "such a long time ago". It's in TODAY's paper. Also, I think it is VERY IMPORTANT to point out that this organization was CREATED by someone that now says "it is a failure, doesn't work, and made a public apology for causing undo harm to those that participated". That's pretty important whether it was a day ago or 10 years ago. You call me a "gay advocate" which I am not. The most gay ANYTHING I do is on this thread. What I would point out though is how cavalier you are with saying "obviously he wasn't really into the organization"...HE CREATED IT! I think that sorta justifies he being "into it". I suppose because you're such a supporter of it, that you're maybe an "ex gay advocate" so have to even speak out against anyone that has something to say about it..even those that are responsible for it's existence.

I don't have to say anything to get your approval on anything in my life..so I certainly don't need to say anytihng to justify something in your eyes. Yes..I sin, but my sexuality is not. What I chose to do with my sexuality can become sin, however, I'm not into the causual use of my sexuality in the least.

Upvote 0

MercyBurst

Senior Veteran
Aug 20, 2006
South
Visit site
✟21,385.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The statement was from former Exodus co-founder Michael Bussee, who left the group in 1979,

When ex-gay ministry was just starting out.:thumbsup:

He sure waited a long time to make a statement. He's been out of circulation for what... 28 something years?

Upvote 0

HaloHope

May 25, 2007
✟9,938.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
READ IT AND WEEP. MANY OF US ON THIS THREAD CONSISTENTLY POSTED ARTICLES AGAINST EXODUS INTERNATIONAL, SO IT'S ONLY FITTING THAT THIS GETS POSTED TODAY.....

Ex-leaders of ministry to change gays apologize

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Three former leaders of a ministry that counsels gays to change their sexual orientation apologized, saying although they acted sincerely, their message had caused isolation, shame and fear.
The former leaders of the interdenominational Christian organization Exodus International said Wednesday they had become disillusioned with promoting gay conversion.
"Some who heard our message were compelled to try to change an integral part of themselves, bringing harm to themselves and their families," the three said in a statement released outside the Los Angeles Gay & Lesbian Center.
The statement was from former Exodus co-founder Michael Bussee, who left the group in 1979, Jeremy Marks, former president of Exodus International Europe, and Darlene Bogle, the founder of Paraklete Ministries, an Exodus referral agency.
The statement coincided with the opening of Exodus' annual conference, which is being held this week at Concordia University in Irvine.
FIND MORE STORIES IN: Gay | Exodus | Christian organization
Exodus' president, Alan Chambers, said the ministry's methods have helped many people, including himself.
"Exodus is here for people who want an alternative to homosexuality," Chambers said by phone. "There are thousands of people like me who have overcome this. I think there's room for more than one opinion on this subject, and giving people options isn't dangerous."
Founded in 1976, the Orlando-based Exodus has grown to include more than 120 ministries in the United States and Canada and over 150 ministries overseas. It promotes "freedom from homosexuality" through prayer, counseling and group therapy.

Kudo's to them for admitting what they did was wrong and for apologising for the large amounts of emotional trauma they must have caused. They are better people for being able to admit to their mistakes.

Upvote 0

Brieuse

Veteran
Mar 15, 2007
Randburg, South Africa
Visit site
✟9,503.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Kudo's to them for admitting what they did was wrong and for apologising for the large amounts of emotional trauma they must have caused. They are better people for being able to admit to their mistakes.
I only hope that those that were chased out of Christianity by them will eventually if not already have found Jesus again.

Upvote 0

UnitedInChrist

Veteran
Mar 23, 2007
New Jersey
✟8,999.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Single
When ex-gay ministry was just starting out.:thumbsup:

He sure waited a long time to make a statement. He's been out of circulation for what... 28 something years?
the statement was made sir, because to kicked off the gathering of Exodus Int'l conference in FL. So, he didn't wait for anything...he just delivered the address since the timing was sorta fitting. As for "ex-gay" ministry just starting out...something was learned since then? New mind altering drugs were introduced to "correct" a behavior? to my knowledge, their methods are simply praying the gay away. so if prayer didn't work in 1979...it's working now? Interesting.....

Upvote 0

UnitedInChrist

Veteran
Mar 23, 2007
New Jersey
✟8,999.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Single
some info on the people who WERE part of Exodus, and have since FOUND CHRIST....
British ex-gay ministry founder will speak about no longer trying to change gays on July 29, 7:00-9:00 p.m., in Orange, California.

COURAGE UK, a thriving British Christian ministry tried for years to assist gay and lesbian Christians "change" to the heterosexual lifestyle. COURAGE UK has completed a virtual "about face" and now affirms gays and lesbians in both faith as well as their homosexual orientation
Jeremy Marks, COURAGE UK's founder and leader since 1988, will be in Orange, California, to express how this radical change in thought and the direction of the ministry occurred. Marks' story is especially compelling at a time when our nation must look at gay marriage and is also weighing a federal constitutional amendment to deny gay and lesbian citizens of their human rights.
Marks will speak at the annual conference of Evangelicals Concerned in Orange, CA, starting at 7:00 p.m. on July 29. The event is sponsored by Evangelicals Concerned (EC). EC is an organization which assists GLBT Christians from evangelical and conservative backgrounds to support their faith and reconcile their sexuality Marks founded COURAGE UK to offer support to Christians who experience tension between their homosexual orientation and their conservative and evangelical backgrounds. COURAGE UK ran discipleship programs to assist participants to leave their homosexuality behind in accordance with their background. Eventually, Marks' experience challenged him to look further into the issue and reevaluate his ministry. Marks states, "we learned this ministry policy was ruinous to the lives of people we were there to help and it gradually became apparent how superficial the evangelical perspective on this issue can be."
Jeremy Marks will participate in EC's 25th annual conference with 200 expected attendees from the U.S. and Canada at Chapman University, July 29 to August 1. Marks will be a featured speaker at the conference.
Evangelicals Concerned Western Region is a non-denominational evangelical resource providing a community of fellowship that is a safe place for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (GLBT) Christians to reconcile and integrate their faith and sexuality, and to grow toward Christian maturity. Featured speakers have included Lewis B. Smedes (leading theological voice on forgiveness), Peggy Campolo, Ralph Blair (founder of EC), Roy Clements (British Evangelical theologian), Mel White (founder of Soulforce) and many others.
Organizations or churches with Evangelical roots have traditionally been the most condemning, exclusionary and antagonistic to Christians who also identify as GLBT. This bias has produced untold levels of damage to many children of God and has caused many to abandon their faith traditions or commit suicide. Evangelical organizations are responsible for virtually every attempt to convert gay people. EC has challenged the conversion therapy notion for 25 years, standing in the gap and providing healing and safety to thousands of Christians.
This is precisely why conservative leaders such as James Dobson, Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell would like to pretend that EC and gay Christians do not exist.
EC stands firm in the knowledge that Christians can be other that straight and also drink from the cup of God's enduring grace. EC exposes the routine misconceptions of scripture used to condemn and deny God's grace and love to those who seek a profession of faith. EC is committed to providing a place of ongoing reconciliation to those struggling to integrate their relationship to God with what is also their God-given sexual orientation.
EC exposes the routine misconceptions of scripture used to condemn and deny God's grace and love to those who seek a profession of faith. EC is committed to providing a place of ongoing reconciliation to those struggling to integrate their relationship to God with what is also their God-given sexual orientation.

Evangelicals Concerned Western Region (ECWR) is a nationwide ministry, which encourages and affirms lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Christians in their faith. We organize small groups, bible studies, social activities and other events in many North American cities, and we organize national and regional conferences every year.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brieuse

Veteran
Mar 15, 2007
Randburg, South Africa
Visit site
✟9,503.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
the statement was made sir, because to kicked off the gathering of Exodus Int'l conference in FL. So, he didn't wait for anything...he just delivered the address since the timing was sorta fitting. As for "ex-gay" ministry just starting out...something was learned since then? New mind altering drugs were introduced to "correct" a behavior? to my knowledge, their methods are simply praying the gay away. so if prayer didn't work in 1979...it's working now? Interesting.....
ignore Mercy, he's just try to discredit them. Kudos to these guys for apologising.

Upvote 0

UnitedInChrist

Veteran
Mar 23, 2007
New Jersey
✟8,999.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Single
...and a little bit of info on the other person mentioned in today's USATODAY article.....

rather LONG article...but if you want to take anything away from it..perhaps this is the most important....

My Exodus days taught me many things…but my post-Exodus days have taught me to walk in love and forgiveness toward those who think they need to speak for God

Survivor Narrative

Darlene Bogle

My Exodus from Exodus

Words are strange. Exodus refers to a “coming out” leaving the desert experience behind. Of course, “they” would view that as leaving homosexuality and coming into the promised land of heterosexuality.
My name is Darlene Bogle. I attended a Christian College in Seattle and had studied for the ministry. I believed that God had laid His hand upon my life and called me to be a voice of His Grace to the wounded and emotionally crumpled children who were just outside the traditional church ministry. I believed that Christ came to love all of his children and make them whole. In that Christian college, I not only experienced His call upon my life, but I experienced my first Lesbian relationship. I was in love with the Lord, and fell in love with Linda. Six months later, Linda committed suicide because she couldn’t handle family, church and society’s rejection of her sexuality. She was 17 years old.

I was devastated, went for counseling for the next few years to deal with my own journey of sexual abuse and the brokenness of my wounded and crumpled spirit.

For several years I lived a yo-yo experience of being in church or being in the gay bars. Both lives had degrees of rejection for the other. In l977 I determined to return to an active relationship with the Lord and leave my gay friends and longings behind. I finished my degree, and became a licensed minister with the Foursquare church. I started writing articles, speaking in Churches, and working on a book of my journey. In 1985, Long Road to Love was published and was followed in 1990 by Strangers in a Christian Land.

I was involved with Exodus International by this time because they were the only group offering support of Ex-gay folks. That is what I thought I was, because I was not involved with women. I soon formed a ministry called Paraklete, in Hayward, California. We were an Exodus referral ministry. I began to speak at Exodus conferences, teach nationally, and was on several TV programs such as Jerry Springer, Sally Jessie Raphael, CBS 48 hours, the 700 club and many local television shows.

I held a full time job as an Insurance Underwriter and was assistant pastor of my church. I directed the ministry, wrote and spoke at conferences or churches at every opportunity. I KNEW I was ex-gay because I any longer felt attraction for women. Of course, I had no attraction for men either, and in fact, I was pretty much a non-feeling person. I knew that sexual behavior could be changed, because I had changed my own behavior for several years. I preached that sexual orientation was a choice also, and for that, I NOW APOLOGIZE!

In 1988, Exodus LA (the Exodus conference in Los Angeles) had a picture taken with about 200 attendees. The Title across the photo was: Can Homosexuals change? We did. Now, as I look at this poster, more than half of the people in the photo are no longer in ex-gay ministry or involved in the Church. Their orientation wasn’t really changed, and neither was mine! We wanted to change behavior that we were told would separate us from a loving God. We were never told that we had an option, that God would still love us as Gay and Lesbian people. What grieves me is that so many have left the church because they believed that lie. I have come to believe that God not only accepts us but wants to bless our relationship with our same-sex partner.

Words again: The Gospel, correctly translated, means the good news. The good news as I believe it, is that Jesus did not come into the world to condemn the world but that he came into the World to reveal the heart of a loving God.

I preached the Exodus message of change for God’s approval until 1990. I was speaking at a Western States conference of Foursquare women when my life and my message was turned upside down. A woman came to one of my meetings and sat in the front row. She caught my eye…and my heart by the time that workshop ended. It’s a long story, but Des and I became lovers within 2 months. She was one of the most dedicated Christian woman I had met in years. I knew instantly, that I not only still had God approval, and his love, but that this woman was His gift. He had blessed our lives and our love. I was “outed” to Exodus, my church and my publisher and they gave me the "left foot of fellowship." I was compelled to resign my ministerial license. I felt like it was God who had called me in to ministry, not a church or an organization, and I knew that I still wanted to share the message of God’s love for all people.
during the next 12 years, Des and I grew in our love for one another and in our ministry for the Lord. I was not active in a traditional church setting, but we did attend some GLBT fellowships in the San Francisco Bay area. Then, Des was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 1996 and that journey continued until February 2005 when Jesus took her home. Three months later, a new love journey began when I realized that Becky, my new partner, was God’s special gift for this later part of my life. She is a special Christian woman and support for me now, as she was during Des’s illness, and I know that we have just begun our life journey and ministry together. I believe that treating others with love and respect and getting to know them as people, is the ministry that God has placed on my heart. If I can help others to know that they are loved and valued by God and some of His kids, then I am doing the good news of the gospel.

Exodus believes that homosexuality is a sin and God needs to deliver you from that sin. I know that Jesus didn’t specify homosexuality as a “sin” or an evil to be delivered from, or a lifestyle to change before He will love anyone. I have experienced only loving acceptance in the gift of the life partners that He has provided. My life has been changed at the core, since God revealed His unconditional love through the unconditional love of Des, and now, my life partner, Becky.

I recently wrote to Alan Chambers at the Exodus Office. I asked him why we have to be so divisive when it comes to a topic that Jesus never addressed. There are so many things that we can agree on, and these are things that would help people love themselves and God.

So why do we exclude, condemn, reject, wound and attack those who believe that their sexual orientation is God’s gift to them, and to the church? We have no right to bring condemnation where Jesus has not brought it!

My Exodus days taught me many things…but my post-Exodus days have taught me to walk in love and forgiveness toward those who think they need to speak for God. I believe that My heavenly Father is not silent, and He is still speaking to all of His children. I believe that He wants us to love Him, and one another. If I can help, please contact me.

Upvote 0

davedjy

Dec 11, 2006
Southern California
✟18,592.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ok so you have one person who left the group in the 70's quoted. Good for you.
You mean the co-founders who are back in the "homosexual lifestyle" again and say it doesn't work???

Imagine that!

ROFL!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟990,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
. . .[SIZE=-1]Also, I think it is VERY IMPORTANT to point out that this organization was CREATED by someone that now says "it is a failure, doesn't work, and made a public apology for causing undo harm to those that participated". [/SIZE]. . .

Someone said that gays will say anything to keep their sin. The USA Today article quoted above does NOT say what UIC claims it does.
Three former leaders of a ministry that counsels gays to change their sexual orientation apologized, saying although they acted sincerely, their message had caused isolation, shame and fear.

"Some who heard our message were compelled to try to change an integral part of themselves, bringing harm to themselves and their families,"​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian

You me he has a second personality on here like:
bafriend = lantern I am starting to see pattern here. Whats the other name ? Do tell.

Upvote 0

savedandhappy1

Senior Veteran
Oct 27, 2006
Kansas
✟18,944.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally Posted by UnitedInChrist

I'm still trying to figure out what I am suppose to be weeping about?:confused:

This in no ways changes what the scriptures say, so I guess I will just have to go without a good crying spell until I can figure out what this really has to do with anything.:scratch:

Upvote 0
M

MrPirate

What reason would there be to think there is inaccuracy?

The three former ex-gays apologized in writing and their statements can be read at http://www.beyondexgay.com/article/apology

So distance in time makes lies somehow less bad? Or is it just a way to attack someone brave enough to apologize for the lies and harm the organization he helped found has caused over the years?

One of the founders…yet “not really into the organization” ??? How did you come to that bizarre conclusion? Because he stopped lying?

Upvote 0