Texas
✟18,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I thought that the Republican party and Bush prided themselves on states' rights? They're always talking about, when it comes to various issues, to let the states and their voters decide state by state. Well the voters of Oregon have spoken, why try to interfere? Why try to undo the will of the voters??

Upvote 0

george78

Loathed
Aug 4, 2005
✟17,138.00
Faith
Utrecht
I thought that the Democratic party and Liberals prided themselves on judicial supremecy? They're always talking about, when it comes to various issues, to let the courts and the judges decide issues of importance. Well the Supreme Court is speaking, why try to interfere? Why try to undo the will of the judges??

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
george78 said:
I thought that the Democratic party and Liberals prided themselves on judicial supremecy? They're always talking about, when it comes to various issues, to let the courts and the judges decide issues of importance. Well the Supreme Court is speaking, why try to interfere? Why try to undo the will of the judges??

Ummm... assuming what you say is true, nobody here is saying anything bad about the judges. But rather the Bush admin whom, if it was really about state's rights, would not have brought the suit in the first place.

Upvote 0

lonnienord

Keep Praying!!
Jan 13, 2005
Lorain, Ohio about 30 miles west of Cleveland on L
Visit site
✟39,601.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
the liberals like courts when they agree with them
the conservatives like the states when they agree with them but they are packing the courts so they will go with the courts until Hillary starts putting liberals on. (I am assuming that Hillary will be our next president.)

my opinion is that GOD should be the center of everything and GOD is pro life.

Upvote 0

419gam

Veteran
Mar 26, 2005
California
✟1,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't think anyone should be able to dictate the terms under which you must continue to live. How is suicide the states buisness? Why should suicide only be an option for those able bodied enough to carry it out unassisted. Also why put someone through having to find the body, the costs of investigating whether or not it was suicide or homicide. Gather up some witnesses and a notary sign your intent to die, and a doctor takes you to lala land. How is that objectionable?

Upvote 0

419gam

Veteran
Mar 26, 2005
California
✟1,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why legislate this though? Those that believe they are owned by God can act accordingly. Why is it neccesary to force this on everyone?

Also does this apply to War as well. We can't have soverignty over our own lives, but we can choose who lives and dies on the battlefield for political purposes. I support U.S. prescene in Iraq, but using the above logic it seems like Christians should oppose it, instead they overwhelmingly support it.

Upvote 0

DhaliClone

Oct 28, 2004
✟17,207.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
lonnienord said:
Only GOD has the right to decide weather a person lives or dies
Technically, God doesn't have "rights." Rights imply that there is someone above you that is allowing you to have this freedom. Since there is nobody above God, he doesn't have "rights."

You could say, "Only God can choose who lives or dies," I guess.

But, it doesn't even matter, because laws aren't passed and judicial decisions aren't made based on whether or not God would approve or disapprove. Court decisions are made based on legal precedent and what Constitutional basis they have.

You have to be able to come up legal or ethical reasons to be against this, because even I can come up with some.

419gam said:
Words and stuff.
Also good points. You shouldn't force someone to follow your religious beliefs. They should be able to act according to their beliefs, not be forced to comply with the beliefs of others.

Although, I don't agree with you on our presence in Iraq.

Upvote 0

lonnienord

Keep Praying!!
Jan 13, 2005
Lorain, Ohio about 30 miles west of Cleveland on L
Visit site
✟39,601.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
419gam said:
Why legislate this though? Those that believe they are owned by God can act accordingly. Why is it neccesary to force this on everyone?

Also does this apply to War as well. We can't have soverignty over our own lives, but we can choose who lives and dies on the battlefield for political purposes. I support U.S. prescene in Iraq, but using the above logic it seems like Christians should oppose it, instead they overwhelmingly support it.
I am totally prolife and hense oppose all war.

but you make a good point in the first paragraph. i am going to think out loud: i am against murder hence i am against war, abortion, death penality and physician assisted sucicide. does the last one fit in there? i think so. What i learned in a medicial ethics class is that we doe whatever we can to make someone comfortable and if a side effect of that is death that is ok as long as the person agrees.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If people have a right to die and the decision is left up to them for now how, much better will things be when the government takes the decision part away (only one law suit away folks) and runs the program from Washington? How many of you think that everyone has the right state of mind to make this decision, what is the test?
Yep, one case and it's right in the hands of your Uncle.
We could have regulated right to death which really means based on a set of guidlines you are allowed to live. If you can't see the value of protecting life, then get ready to see the mess your government officials will make of it going forward.

Upvote 0

Quantos

Sock ? What Sock
Mar 6, 2005
Earth for now
✟33,990.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My 0.02$

Dont agree with assisted suicide. But I dont have a problem with allowing life support equipment to be turned off, and medication given for pain. Yes both actions will lead to the persons death, but they are not the same.

Both my parents have died, but could of been kept alive for many years IF we wanted them to be kept hooked up to machines. They would of never recovered to this date though.

Upvote 0

JPPT1974

April Showers and Easter 2024!
Mar 18, 2004
Small Town, USA
✟569,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Quantos said:
My 0.02$

Dont agree with assisted suicide. But I dont have a problem with allowing life support equipment to be turned off, and medication given for pain. Yes both actions will lead to the persons death, but they are not the same.

Both my parents have died, but could of been kept alive for many years IF we wanted them to be kept hooked up to machines. They would of never recovered to this date though.

Don't agree with it either. But also I don't think you should turn off life support. I agree that the machine needs to be on as long as it will be on.

Upvote 0

invisible trousers

~*this post promotes non-nicene christianity*~
Apr 22, 2005
✟13,218.00
Faith
Non-Denom
:sigh: 3 cheers for fair weather federalism

eldermike said:
If people have a right to die and the decision is left up to them for now how, much better will things be when the government takes the decision part away (only one law suit away folks) and runs the program from Washington? How many of you think that everyone has the right state of mind to make this decision, what is the test?
Yep, one case and it's right in the hands of your Uncle.
We could have regulated right to death which really means based on a set of guidlines you are allowed to live. If you can't see the value of protecting life, then get ready to see the mess your government officials will make of it going forward.

there are several other nations which allow euthanasia. have they followed the slippery slope which you're predicting?

JPPT1974 said:
Don't agree with it either. But also I don't think you should turn off life support. I agree that the machine needs to be on as long as it will be on.

an unconscious body indefinitely hooked up to a respirator is a sick parody of what life is.

george78 said:

that's kind of funny since the law was upheld by the 9th circuit court of appeals. wait, 9th circuit? i think this is where you're supposed to start complaining about "judicial activism" and "legislating from the bench"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married