Jun 2, 2014
✟82,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Considering that one of the goals of Daesh was to induce the West to turn away as many refugees from the MIddle East as possible, looks like they've done a bang-up job of that.

Way to go, folks. We've just done exactly what they wanted us to do. Go us.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: patrick jane
Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What people claim on this site, does not always comport with reality and the law.

I'm not as confident as you are that wanting to restrict refugees because of religion is restricted to this site. This seems to be shaping up as a debate over the religion of the people we allow to immigrate here.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm not as confident as you are that wanting to restrict refugees because of religion is restricted to this site. This seems to be shaping up as a debate over the religion of the people we allow to immigrate here.

Of course it isn't restricted to this site. I am sure there are even politicians that share this view.

The reality is, it won't fly.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Of course it isn't restricted to this site. I am sure there are even politicians that share this view.

The reality is, it won't fly.

Well, again, I don't have as much confidence about that as you do. I don't trust us (as a country) to restrict the debate to security concerns without bringing religion into the mix. We've already seen some of the candidates for president making this an issue of religion, and I fear that's only going to get worse.

We seem to be consistently bad at cutting down on the hysteria and paranoia after attacks like the one in France. A degree of that is understandable, but for the US, it always devolves into bigotry and xenophobia. Unfortunate for a country priding itself on being a, quote, "Christian nation" - as well as a nation of immigrants.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, again, I don't have as much confidence about that as you do. I don't trust us (as a country) to restrict the debate to security concerns without bringing religion into the mix. We've already seen some of the candidates for president making this an issue of religion, and I fear that's only going to get worse.

We seem to be consistently bad at cutting down on the hysteria and paranoia after attacks like the one in France. A degree of that is understandable, but for the US, it always devolves into bigotry and xenophobia. Unfortunate for a country priding itself on being a, quote, "Christian nation" - as well as a nation of immigrants.

We have different concerns.

You are concerned refugees will be refused simply because of religion and I am concerned, the US won't do a thorough job vetting out the potential threats.

Upvote 0

revanneosl

Mystically signifying since 1985
Feb 25, 2007
Northern Illniois
✟39,310.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh look! Here is some actual information about the vetting process for Syrian refugees, so that we can know what we're talking about instead of just engaging in paranoid speculation.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We have different concerns.

You are concerned refugees will be refused simply because of religion and I am concerned, the US won't do a thorough job vetting out the potential threats.

Not exactly. I'm worried that we're making bad decisions, borne out of fear and paranoia, that play into our enemies' hands and that will have historical consequences.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not exactly. I'm worried that we're making bad decisions, borne out of fear and paranoia, that play into our enemies' hands and that will have historical consequences.

I'm not sure what decisions have been made, do you?

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure what decisions have been made, do you?

At least eighteen states have decided not to take any Syrian refugees - none at all.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
At least eighteen states have decided not to take any Syrian refugees - none at all.

I don't believe those governors have the ability to have that decision stand, since refugee status is determined by the feds.

Sort of like, Kim Davis deciding her religious beliefs superseded the oath she took to uphold the law and I don't think that worked out too well for her.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can't know anything for sure, but the number of refugees who have turned out to be terrorists is vanishingly low.

And yet look how much damage they did.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And yet look how much damage they did.

That's a tragic and unfortunate byproduct of living in a free society. If we allow ourselves to be governed by our fear, however, they win.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
It is an acknowledgment to the fact that the American Politics section of this "Christian" forum seems to attract liberals of all stripes. That means liberals who claim to be Christian and many of those who do not - such as yourself.

Well I was Christian when I started posting here 7 years ago, its not like I appeared out of nowhere.

If you had the mind of Christ, I would try to explain it better for you. But, as I read the warnings of the Holy Spirit who wrote the scriptures, that would be a fairly foolish endeavor. I have been warned to be a little careful about that so I will leave it at that.

I see your wisdom is too great for me, a dirty heathen. I will carry on without further inconveniencing you.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because refusing to allow 30,000 refugees because one of them might be a terrorist is not "common sense". Nor is it American. It's a knee-jerk response borne out of fear and xenophobia, and that's not how we should run this country.

One? The minimalist argument again. Regardless:

McCaul: No Way To Properly Vet Refugees Coming Into US

The intelligence community cannot fully vet potential refugees to the U.S. for terrorist connections, says a leading congressman.

McCaul’s concerns come as six more Somali men were arrested in Minnesota Monday for attempting to join ISIS. At least nine Minnesotans have now been charged as part of this conspiracy to provide material support to ISIS. The men are allegedly associates and friends, the FBI says. The Star Tribunehas confirmed the status of at least two of the men as refugees.

Source: http://dailycaller.com/2015/04/22/mccaul-no-way-to-properly-vet-refugees-coming-into-us/

FBI SAYS THERE IS NO WAY TO VET INCOMING SYRIAN REFUGEES

Obama plans to bring 10,000 additional Syrian Refugees to the U.S. this year, yet the FBI has already said they do not have a way to properly vet the refugees, which could cause a threat to national security.

"We don't have it under control," Mr. Michael Steinback, Assistant Director for the FBI told the House Homeland Security committee in February. "Absolutely, we're doing the best we can. If I were to say that we had it under control, then I would say I know of every single individual traveling. I don't. And I don't know every person there and I don't know everyone coming back. So it's not even close to being under control."

The chairman of the Homeland Security committee, Rep. Michael McCaul (R-TX), asked officials from DHS, FBI and the National Counterterrorism Center (NCTC), "if bringing in Syrian refugees pose a greater risk to Americans?" Steinback responded, "Yes, I'm concerned. We'll have to go take a look at those lists and go through all of those intelligence holdings and be very careful to try and identify connections to foreign terrorist groups."

Source: https://www.numbersusa.com/news/fbi-says-there-no-way-vet-incoming-syrian-refugees

US Lacks Intel to Vet Syrian Refugees: Officials

US authorities are facing a difficult task screening Syrian refugees for potential extremists because of a shortage of intelligence from the war-torn country, officials told lawmakers Wednesday.

Michael Steinbach, assistant director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, said the US government had data and intelligence to draw on when it performed background checks on refugees from Iraq in recent years but in the case of Syria, there was "a lack of information."

Source: http://www.newsmax.com/US/Syria-conflict-US-intelligence/2015/02/11/id/624285/

That's a tragic and unfortunate byproduct of living in a free society. If we allow ourselves to be governed by our fear, however, they win.

They win when the streets are littered with the dead bodies of those who just wanted to have dinner, or hear a concert, or watch a soccer game.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
One? The minimalist argument again. Regardless:

McCaul: No Way To Properly Vet Refugees Coming Into US

The intelligence community cannot fully vet potential refugees to the U.S. for terrorist connections, says a leading congressman.

McCaul’s concerns come as six more Somali men were arrested in Minnesota Monday for attempting to join ISIS. At least nine Minnesotans have now been charged as part of this conspiracy to provide material support to ISIS. The men are allegedly associates and friends, the FBI says. The Star Tribunehas confirmed the status of at least two of the men as refugees.

Source: http://dailycaller.com/2015/04/22/mccaul-no-way-to-properly-vet-refugees-coming-into-us/

FBI SAYS THERE IS NO WAY TO VET INCOMING SYRIAN REFUGEES

Obama plans to bring 10,000 additional Syrian Refugees to the U.S. this year, yet the FBI has already said they do not have a way to properly vet the refugees, which could cause a threat to national security.

"We don't have it under control," Mr. Michael Steinback, Assistant Director for the FBI told the House Homeland Security committee in February. "Absolutely, we're doing the best we can. If I were to say that we had it under control, then I would say I know of every single individual traveling. I don't. And I don't know every person there and I don't know everyone coming back. So it's not even close to being under control."

The chairman of the Homeland Security committee, Rep. Michael McCaul (R-TX), asked officials from DHS, FBI and the National Counterterrorism Center (NCTC), "if bringing in Syrian refugees pose a greater risk to Americans?" Steinback responded, "Yes, I'm concerned. We'll have to go take a look at those lists and go through all of those intelligence holdings and be very careful to try and identify connections to foreign terrorist groups."

Source: https://www.numbersusa.com/news/fbi-says-there-no-way-vet-incoming-syrian-refugees

US Lacks Intel to Vet Syrian Refugees: Officials

US authorities are facing a difficult task screening Syrian refugees for potential extremists because of a shortage of intelligence from the war-torn country, officials told lawmakers Wednesday.

Michael Steinbach, assistant director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, said the US government had data and intelligence to draw on when it performed background checks on refugees from Iraq in recent years but in the case of Syria, there was "a lack of information."

Source: http://www.newsmax.com/US/Syria-conflict-US-intelligence/2015/02/11/id/624285/

Not true: http://time.com/4116619/syrian-refugees-screening-process/
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politi...Syrian-refugees-Is-screening-process-adequate

The "not properly vetted" argument is an excuse.

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They win when the streets are littered with the dead bodies of those who just wanted to have dinner, or hear a concert, or watch a soccer game.

(I just saw this)

No, they win at the point that we are fearful enough to change our way of life in response to them. That's why they're called terrorists: their goal is chaos and terror.

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
(I just saw this)

No, they win at the point that we are fearful enough to change our way of life in response to them. That's why they're called terrorists: their goal is chaos and terror.
Isn't causing chaos and terror part of war? We may named them "terrorists" yet they are willing died for something they believed in.

Upvote 0