Dec 23, 2007
✟15,282.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
"And Obama keeps telling you the United States only has 2 percent of the world’s oil reserves. Liberals can spin it and the numbers any way they want, but what it comes down to is we’ve got a ton of oil. As a matter of fact, the largest known reserves of oil are not in the Middle East, rather they are right here in the United States, and the federal government and the Obama administration won’t let anyone touch it.

Directly from the GAO testimony, which by the way refers to an October 2010 study that does not seem to have been made public at the time. Wonder why?"

In its October 2010 report, GAO noted that oil shale development presents the following opportunities for the United States:

• Increasing domestic oil production. Tapping the vast amounts of oil locked within U.S. oil shale formations could go a long way toward satisfying the nation’s future oil demands. Oil shale deposits in the Green River Formation are estimated to contain up to 3 trillion barrels of oil, half of which may be recoverable, which is about equal to the entire world’s proven oil reserves.
  • Socioeconomic benefits. Development of oil shale resources could lead to the creation of jobs, increases in wealth, and increases in tax and royalty payments to federal and state governments for oil produced on their lands. The extent of these benefits, however, is unknown at this time because the ultimate size of the industry is uncertain
===========

US Government: We have a lot of oil | Radio Vice Online

HerbieHeadley

North American Energy Independence Now!
Dec 23, 2007
✟15,282.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Why Is The Obama Administration Allowing The Chinese Government To Buy Up U.S. Oil And Gas Deposits Worth Billions Of Dollars?

If we are trying to become independent of foreign oil, then why is the Obama administration allowing the Chinese government to buy up U.S. oil and gas deposits worth billions of dollars? This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. The United States desperately needs to maintain control over its own domestic energy resources so that we can end our addiction to foreign oil. As I have written about previously, the United States actually has plenty of oil. If we would simply use the resources that we already have, we would never have to import a single drop of foreign oil. But instead, we continue to be the largest importer of oil on the planet and we are allowing China to rapidly buy up oil and gas deposits inside the United States. This is fundamentally wrong and it is a serious threat to our national security. But apparently everything is for sale in the United States today, and that includes our precious energy resources.

The Chinese government is using two giant corporations to buy up these energy resources.
CNOOC recently completed a 570 million dollar deal that gives it a one-third interest in huge oil and gas deposits in Colorado and Wyoming.
"In fact, according to a recent Business Insider article, this deal gives the Chinese government the right to a third of any new oil discovered by Chesapeake Energy in the entire region....
The Niobrara Shale formation stretches over Colorado and Wyoming, as well as Kansas and Nebraska. Chesapeake Energy's position is in Wyoming and Colorado. If Chesapeake find any more oil in this region, CNOOC has the rights to 33.3% of what is found.
But this is not the only area of the country where China now owns energy rights. The following is an excerpt from a recent state-by-state breakdown that appeared in the Wall Street Journal....
Louisiana: Sinopec has a one-third interest in 265,000 acres in the Tuscaloosa Marine Shale after a broader $2.5-billion deal with Devon Energy.

Michigan: Sinopec gained a one-third interest in 350,000 acres in a larger $2.5 billion deal with Devon Energy.

Ohio: Sinopec acquired a one-third stake in Devon Energy’s 235,000 Utica Shale acres in a larger $2.5 billion deal.

Oklahoma: Sinopec has a one-third interest in 215,000 acres in a broader $2.5 billion deal with Devon Energy.

Texas: Cnooc acquired a one-third interest in Chesapeake Energy’s 600,000 acres in the Eagle Ford Shale in a $2.16-billion deal."
==========================

Why Is The Obama Administration Allowing The Chinese Government To Buy Up U.S. Oil And Gas Deposits Worth Billions Of Dollars?

Why does everything about this Hussein regime seem to not be in America's best interest?

Upvote 0

RETS

Telling it like it is
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
✟10,929.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Here's a little conjecture on my part, but for what it's worth...

They may be allowing China to grab that oil as a result of the massive debt we owe them. Either it's out of the goodness of the politicians hearts (?), or China is leveraging the debt to get its way.

However the real story reads, it's a disgrace.

Upvote 0

Blayz

Aug 1, 2007
Singapore
✟4,827.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You guys are going to have to explain your understanding of "free market economy" and "capitalism". Are these things that only apply to Americans, and the rest of the world can go to heck? Why shouldn't China buy US oil deposits if it can?

I always thought you conservatives opposed government regulation of business. Once again it appears to be "government out of my business, but deep in everyone else's".

If it was England, Canada or Australia doing the buying, would you care?

Upvote 0

RETS

Telling it like it is
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
✟10,929.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You guys are going to have to explain your understanding of "free market economy" and "capitalism". Are these things that only apply to Americans, and the rest of the world can go to heck? Why shouldn't China buy US oil deposits if it can?

There's a bit more to it, which I'll get to in this response. Suffice to say that were the situation only slightly different, I'd have no problem with it.

I always thought you conservatives opposed government regulation of business. Once again it appears to be "government out of my business, but deep in everyone else's".

I'm a Conservative, to a degree apparently, but I'm a Constitutionalist as well. In other words, the world can go to hell as far as this country's aid is concerned if this country is not living up to its duties to the citizenry.

The United States has a constitutional responsibility to maintain the infrastructure of the country. Right now, oil supply plays a vital role in that infrastructure. The fact that the government is not pulling that oil out and selling it domestically to alleviate the price at the pumps; but is selling it to another country/countries; shows that it is neglecting its duties.

Was the government to be selling to China while also supplying her own citizens, I would have no problem. That is not what is happening. So, China is getting a comparatively good deal on oil, while we "suffer" at the pumps. (Quotes to indicate that I realize others around the world are also dealing with high gas prices.)

If it was England, Canada or Australia doing the buying, would you care?

If our government was doing the same thing with those countries they're doing with China, while not providing for her own citizens? Yes, I would.

Upvote 0

Blayz

Aug 1, 2007
Singapore
✟4,827.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The United States has a constitutional responsibility to maintain the infrastructure of the country. Right now, oil supply plays a vital role in that infrastructure. The fact that the government is not pulling that oil out and selling it domestically to alleviate the price at the pumps; but is selling it to another country/countries; shows that it is neglecting its duties.

So to clarify, you think your government should be in the oil business.

Should private enterprise play a role at all? Should all oil companies be nationalized?

Any of that in the constitution?

Was the government to be selling to China while also supplying her own citizens, I would have no problem. That is not what is happening. So, China is getting a comparatively good deal on oil, while we "suffer" at the pumps.
Evidence please.

Upvote 0
S

someguy14

Should private enterprise play a role at all? Should all oil companies be nationalized?

Evidence please.

Instead of belittling the responses and adding to them, profess your own belief. :)

That is only tough for the hypocritical.

Upvote 0

Blayz

Aug 1, 2007
Singapore
✟4,827.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Instead of belittling the responses and adding to them, profess your own belief. :)

That is only tough for the hypocritical.

I'm not belittling anything. I'm trying to understand why conservatives think a Chinese company buying US oil deposits is Obama's fault, and what they think he/the government should do in response.

I'm not sure you know what hypocritical means, here, let me use it in a sentence for you "Screaming less government involvement in business simultaneously with the government should be in the oil business" is hypocritical.

Here's another example: claiming Obama is refusing people the right to drill for oil whilst simultaneously complaining about people drilling for oil.

To answer your question, I could not give a tinker's cuss who onws the oil. I choose to live in a country with a decent public transport system, and do not own a car.

Upvote 0

AceHero

Veteran
Sep 10, 2005
✟21,933.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So, China is getting a comparatively good deal on oil, while we "suffer" at the pumps. (Quotes to indicate that I realize others around the world are also dealing with high gas prices.)

To answer your question, I could not give a tinker's cuss who onws the oil. I choose to live in a country with a decent public transport system, and do not own a car.

Exactly. I live in a city that has a decent (and improving) transit system. It's amazing how people complain about gas prices and yet aren't even willing to change their lifestyle a little bit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lee52

Mar 11, 2011
Normal, Illinois
✟2,645.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
That's USD $10.50/gallon

Actually today it would be US $8.73/US GAL with current exchange rate.
Still a great deal more than is paid in the USA.

That said, most of the price of a gallon of gasoline in the USA is tax, either federal or state tax. Very little of the pump price in the US is the cost of the crude, refining costs, and transportation costs.

I would venture a guess that this is also true of Europe and most of the civilized world.

Upvote 0

RETS

Telling it like it is
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
✟10,929.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
First, let me just inform all who decided to jump on the "stupid Americans complaining about gas prices" bandwagon, I very specifically noted that I realize many other nations are dealing with the same issue. Let's go ahead and move on, shall we?

No, I think they ought to get out of the "preventing private companies from drilling" business.

See above response, to which I'll add this: I don't care a whit if foreign countries drill for oil here, so long as American companies are also able to do it with the same freedom or better.

Oh, a trite comment. How about the Australian Constitution- Anything there?

Evidence please.

What would you like? Perhaps the $2.2 billion dollar deal giving them access to US shale deposits? (btw- They only paid $900 million up front, ergo, "comparatively good deal.)"

Or, would you prefer a state by state listing of their purchases so far?

SPOILER:

800k acres in Colorado and Wyoming.
265k acres in Louisiana.
350k acres in Michigan.
235k acres in Ohio.
215k acres in Oklahoma.
600k acres in Texas.

Oh, and remember the restriction on Gulf of Mexico oil rigs? Yeah, well, considering China leased more rigs, six of them deep-water, I'm guessing that doesn't apply to foreign countries.

I'm not belittling anything. I'm trying to understand why conservatives think a Chinese company buying US oil deposits is Obama's fault, and what they think he/the government should do in response.

Can't speak for all other conservatives, naturally. I don't blame Obama alone. I blame the federal government as a whole. As a response, they ought to remove the restrictions on privately owned oil companies, loosen regulations, and kick the EPA in the crotch.

I'm not sure you know what hypocritical means, here, let me use it in a sentence for you "Screaming less government involvement in business simultaneously with the government should be in the oil business" is hypocritical.

Here's another example: claiming Obama is refusing people the right to drill for oil whilst simultaneously complaining about people drilling for oil.

I've got another one for you... Wait for it...

YEAH! There it is. :wave:

Exactly. I live in a city that has a decent (and improving) transit system. It's amazing how people complain about gas prices and yet aren't even willing to change their lifestyle a little bit.

I ride a bike; the bus; the train when I can afford it- I also carpool and have a natural gas truck. Guess what? I'm still complaining about the gas prices, because the world over, they are outright insanity.

Moreover, people should not be forced to take jobs closer that pay less simply because they cannot afford to drive further. (Next door neighbors.)

People should not have to take public transportation, which in my area does not have the greatest safety rating, just because the government is getting greedy with the gas tax.

Finally, if this truly is the land of the free, people should not HAVE to change their entire lifestyle because of GAS PRICES... I mean, seriously- That doesn't strike you as being a pitiful excuse?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blayz

Aug 1, 2007
Singapore
✟4,827.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No, I think they ought to get out of the "preventing private companies from drilling" business.

See above response, to which I'll add this: I don't care a whit if foreign countries drill for oil here, so long as American companies are also able to do it with the same freedom or better.

You have provided absolutely no evidence that they are not able to do so. All you have done is complain that some Chinese companies bought an interest in US deposits.

Oh, a trite comment. How about the Australian Constitution- Anything there?
Nup, it's like 5 pages long and deals solely with government structure.

What would you like? Perhaps the $2.2 billion dollar deal giving them access to US shale deposits? (btw- They only paid $900 million up front, ergo, "comparatively good deal.)"
Once again, absolutely no evidence that this comprises a "comparatively good deal". Comparative to what?

Or, would you prefer a state by state listing of their purchases so far?

SPOILER:

800k acres in Colorado and Wyoming.
265k acres in Louisiana.
350k acres in Michigan.
235k acres in Ohio.
215k acres in Oklahoma.
600k acres in Texas.
Why does it matter?, and I have to ask again why is it Obama's fault, and further what, exactly, as a conservative that wants the government to stay out of private enterprise, do you want the government to do?

Oh, and remember the restriction on Gulf of Mexico oil rigs? Yeah, well, considering China leased more rigs, six of them deep-water, I'm guessing that doesn't apply to foreign countries.
Yeah, not the only part of your post comprised entirely of guesswork. What restriction, exactly???

BP to start three new Gulf of Mexico oil rigs | Business | The Guardian

Don't see you complaining about British companies allowed to drill there.

Also, how many rigs do you want?

Oil Platforms in the Gulf: How Many and Who Owns Them? | Deep Sea News

As a response, they ought to remove the restrictions on privately owned oil companies
Except Chinese ones, obviously.

I've got another one for you... Wait for it...
You are going to have to explain how "not caring about who owns oil because I don't own a car" is in any way shape or form hypocritical.

You started the post saying you wanted to move on from a gas price discussion...and of course ended it with a discussion on gas prices.

Upvote 0

RETS

Telling it like it is
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
✟10,929.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So, no evidence then.

No, absolutely no evidence that I'm conversing with anyone who is not willfully ignorant.

Again- Sorry. If I can find some sort of evidence that everything is hunky-dory and going exactly as you seem to paint it, I'll be sure to post. :wave:

Upvote 0

Blayz

Aug 1, 2007
Singapore
✟4,827.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No, absolutely no evidence that I'm conversing with anyone who is not willfully ignorant.

Again- Sorry. If I can find some sort of evidence that everything is hunky-dory and going exactly as you seem to paint it, I'll be sure to post. :wave:

So, no evidence then.

Upvote 0