Unsaved family??

koko081012

Dec 8, 2014
✟7,722.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I have been saved for about 7 years, but the lord has been working on my faith slowly but surely. Recently (in the last year) my husband and I started attending a bible teaching baptist church and recently became members. Since being there my walk with the lord has been much closer then in past years.
I have 2 sisters and 1 brother. My brother was saved long before me and is now a pastor of a non denomination church. My oldest sister was agnostic, but has moved to full atheist. My other sister is open to the idea of praying and iv talked to her a lot about the lord and recently she has said she's "tried" praying and thinks I'm on to something. My question here lies with my atheist sister. Her and I used to be very close when we were younger. And we did a lot of parting together, when I became a Christian she mentioned to our mother I seemed calmer, and more laid back.. It wasn't long after I became a mother.. So her and my mom said it had to do with being a mom.. It settled me down. More recently since my faith is grown.. Iv had a very hard time discussing anything with her. something about our conversations makes me uneasy. It seems the lord is in every aspect of my life now, and it feels like I'm not "allowed" to discuss those things with her. But how can I not? But if it comes up it ends in an argument, or it seems awkward... If I say I'm praying on a big choice and want to do what the lord wills.. She tries to secularize what I'm saying "so you mean your not ready yet?" ... I'll say "no, I mean if and when the lord wills me to make this step I will." And she says," so what you mean is you have a lot of time to decide." I'll say, "no, I mean if tomorrow I wake up and the lord calls me to do this I'll do it.. If he waits 6 years then in 6 years.. Or never... Then it won't happen." Then she says, "so what you mean is life's a journey and you'll go with the flow.." Her boyfriend also makes anti Christian posts on Facebook, or they post for obortion ect. I just don't know as a Christian what my role is here.. she has told me I'm closed minded now, and I see her as the horrible atheist she is. I told her I never said those things, and that I don't see her as horrible but just want to show the love and grace that's been shown to me. I always feel like I'm treading thin ice. I don't want to say the wrong thing or do the wrong thing for her to see it has hypocrisy and throw it at me. But I'm human and do make mistakes sometimes. If I let the relationship die off she will think even more negatively of the Christian faith.. If I continue to have these weird talks it's not really helping.. Maybe I'm not mature enough in my faith to show her Christ? I know only the lord can save her, and I pray that he will and my nephew. But it's been difficult to figure out where the line should be drawn.

Thanks.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sorry to hear that.
Well, my sister is agnostic so she doesn't mind if I mention God or going to church or praying.
But my mum is atheist and very anti-christ. Remember that Jesus had to deal with Judas who was part of the twelve but he knew that he was a betrayer. He kept the enemy close though and did not snub him. And its not your sister its the powers that control her as we all were before we came to know God..Paul likened this to 'a thorn in the flesh, a messenger from satan come to buffet me and stop me from being too proud'. He prayed for God to remove this but He didn't, just like you can't remove your sister..

God says his grace is sufficient and in this case, like mine with my mum, I have to just be gracious. So I don't 'brag' about my faith to her, but just go about my business quietly.

Upvote 0

koko081012

Dec 8, 2014
✟7,722.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for the replies. I don't try to brag about my faith to her.. But for instance, she had posted a picture of my nephew from 2 years ago.. And I said "they sure do grow up fast! ,y pastor always says, "you know what your doing tomorrow don't you? Walking your little girl down the aisle!" Which he says because he has 3 daughters and has walked two down the aisle. My sister responds with what a jerk he is.. And why is walking them down the aisle why not watching them graduate college or so,etching else.. Why do they have to need a man. (She's very feminist) I guess.. I didn't think about it I didn't think it was religion relates, but I suppose it is. I just tried to make mention of how fast our kids our growing and it ended in a 2 day debate. :( I know I can't win her over with debates.. But how do I handle this? I feel like I'm walking on eggshells that everything I say can be turned around... It makes me feel awkward. And if I don't say make any mention of anything religious I'm being ashamed of my savior.. She knows I'm a Christian and iv told her it effects every part of my life I can't just not talk about it.. It's the reason behind every choice I make.. I still pray for her and have faith that God will grab her one day.. but in the mean time I don't know what to do.

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟122,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you for the replies. I don't try to brag about my faith to her.. But for instance, she had posted a picture of my nephew from 2 years ago.. And I said "they sure do grow up fast! ,y pastor always says, "you know what your doing tomorrow don't you? Walking your little girl down the aisle!" Which he says because he has 3 daughters and has walked two down the aisle. My sister responds with what a jerk he is.. And why is walking them down the aisle why not watching them graduate college or so,etching else.. Why do they have to need a man. (She's very feminist) I guess.. I didn't think about it I didn't think it was religion relates, but I suppose it is. I just tried to make mention of how fast our kids our growing and it ended in a 2 day debate. :( I know I can't win her over with debates.. But how do I handle this? I feel like I'm walking on eggshells that everything I say can be turned around... It makes me feel awkward. And if I don't say make any mention of anything religious I'm being ashamed of my savior.. She knows I'm a Christian and iv told her it effects every part of my life I can't just not talk about it.. It's the reason behind every choice I make.. I still pray for her and have faith that God will grab her one day.. but in the mean time I don't know what to do.
Don't do anything, or say anything else. Let the Lord through the Holy Spirit do it. Just be yourself and develop a good relationship with her as it was years ago. One day, she will ask you about your faith, maybe then she will be ready. Then, let the Holy Spirit guide your words. And He will.

Reactions: koko081012
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sometimes if we dont say anything it doesnt mean we are ashamed its just we are shining our lights instead. Even Paul asked the women to keep silent in churches. So theres a time to speak and a time to be silent.

I just think through our natural conversation we can be as wise as serpent and harmless as doves. Keep praying and dont worry if your sister says things that may hurt you. Persecution does come..dont be wondering or questioning your faith when it does...not everyone is going to like what we say.

Upvote 0