Jan 28, 2002
✟2,911,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
But, scripture teaches us that by the concept of Karma, or you reap what you sow, that the wages of sin is death, and eternal death at that, that we deserve the worst, but, that, by believing in Jesus Christ, that we get to get out of what rightfully deserve according to the biblical concept of karma...

God Bless!

The concept of Karma includes the idea that what we did in our past "lives" affects our life today, as well that our past "lives" + what we do today will affect our future "lives". Karma is NOT a Christian/Biblical concept.

Also, as Galatea said above in part:

There is no karma. God says it rains on the just and the unjust alike. Karma is a cruel idea, in my opinion. It suggests that people who suffer deserve it in some fashion. God can use suffering and allows suffering, but it does not follow that a suffering person did something wrong to deserve it. ... We see it all around us, people who are corrupt prospering and never made accountable. This world is not just.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0

Dill Bugger

Dec 21, 2016
Philadelphia
✟15,743.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Single
There is no karma. God says it rains on the just and the unjust alike. Karma is a cruel idea, in my opinion. It suggests that people who suffer deserve it in some fashion. God can use suffering and allows suffering, but it does not follow that a suffering person did something wrong to deserve it. One thing that refutes karma is the verse about the evil man flourishing like the green bay tree. And the tares grow up alongside the wheat. We see it all around us, people who are corrupt prospering and never made accountable. This world is not just. Think about the countless numbers of high placed people who have never paid for fleecing people. This is why we are to not love this old, unjust world.

I have heard it often expressed this way "It is the way of the world..."
That might be a good way to look at it. Sometimes we think there's a contradiction when there isn't...
Consider:
  1. If scripture is infallible, it cannot contradict itself
  2. There "seems" to be a contradiction
  3. Therefore, if 1 is true, and 2 is true, we must simply be misunderstanding scripture.
The gravitational constant is G = 6.67408 × 10-11 m3 kg-1 s-2

It's kinda cool, because no matter what, it always stays the same! The constant never changes. So while gravity feels different on the moon then the earth, that's only due to the mass of the object. All over the universe, the constant for G is always the same, only mass differs.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟914,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah just been reading book of Job.Job's friends accused him of wrong doing when in fact he had done nothing wrong.God affirmed Job in the end.still i wonder if the stuff we go through in life both good and bad is it God's will or just plain dumb luck

If Job didn't do anything wrong why does God spend many chapters berating Job and why does Job decide to repent?

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
“You, God, are alone; there is none beside you. You have created the heaven and the heaven of heavens, with all their hosts; you preserve and control them. By the Sons of God were the universes made. The Creator covers himself with light as with a garment and stretches out the heavens as a curtain.”

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,911,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
“You, God, are alone; there is none beside you. You have created the heaven and the heaven of heavens, with all their hosts; you preserve and control them. By the Sons of God were the universes made. The Creator covers himself with light as with a garment and stretches out the heavens as a curtain.”

"Sons" not "sons of God" :scratch:

What are "universe(S)" :scratch:

Most of this is a nice and fairly benign quote from The Urantia Book Colter, as much of it is taken directly from the Bible .. though CLEARLY not all it was :preach:

The Urantia Book is deceptive in the same way that all other materials are deceptive from religious and cult groups that try to appear Christian-like in their attempts to draw Believers and seekers alike away from the truth of the Bible and thereby, away from the Christian faith.

Our Mormon and JW friends are among the many here who are not allowed to post their materials and promote/evangelize for their particular "faiths" on CF's Christian ONLY boards. If I was a JW or LDS and noticed what you've been posting, I would find this very unfair treatment by CF. In fact, it seems to me that if you are allowed to continue to proselytize for Urantia on these boards, the JW's and LDS's should be able to do likewise, especially since what they believe/teach is certainly no further away from the Christian faith than Urantia is!!

Urantia is NOT a Christian book. It teaches many things which are diametrically opposed to the things that the Bible/Christianity teach. And you doing your best to promote this book and what it teaches (on several of the Christian ONLY boards here at CF) can only mean that your purpose is to teach us Christians why The Urantia Book is the truth, and the Bible is not!

Not good!!

Yours and His,
David

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I don't recall any specific scripture strictly against it, not all of them anyway, not "karma" at least...

Could you give me some? One against Karma?

I got to get back to them though, cause I have to be somewhere in 15 minutes, but I'll check up on this later...

God Bless!

Please define your understanding of Karma.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
There is only one absolute truth: Love is always right.

ValleyGal,

Unless you define love, it means nothing. Are you referring to the love of the prostitute or suicide bomber?

You would be better grounded in Psalm 111:7-8 (NIV), 'The works of his [the Lord's] hands are faithful and just; all his precepts are trustworthy.
8 They are established for ever and ever, enacted in faithfulness and uprightness'.

So, the one absolute standard is the nature of God, which does not change (see Mal 3:6, 'I the Lord do not change'.)

Oz

• Agree
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟914,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

That's taken from first verse of the book of Urantia paper 1, a false gospel.

Paper 1 - The Universal Father | Urantia Book | Urantia Foundation
"1:0.1 (21.1) THE Universal Father is the God of all creation, the First Source and Center of all things and beings. First think of God as a creator, then as a controller, and lastly as an infinite upholder. The truth about the Universal Father had begun to dawn upon mankind when the prophet said: “You, God, are alone; there is none beside you. You have created the heaven and the heaven of heavens, with all their hosts; you preserve and control them. By the Sons of God were the universes made. The Creator covers himself with light as with a garment and stretches out the heavens as a curtain.” Only the concept of the Universal Father — one God in the place of many gods — enabled mortal man to comprehend the Father as divine creator and infinite controller."

That "quote" does not come from the bible or any prophet. No, the sons of God did not make anything let alone multiple universes. Jesus made all things according to the bible.

Eph_3:9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
“Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.” – Buddha

"Neither will they say, 'Look, here!' or, 'Look, there!' for behold, the Kingdom of God is within you." Luke 17:21

True peace comes from God himself through Christ, 'And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus' (Phil 4:7 NIV).

This kind of peace has no comparison with that of Buddha.

Oz

• Agree
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,911,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
“Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.” – Buddha

"Neither will they say, 'Look, here!' or, 'Look, there!' for behold, the Kingdom of God is within you." Luke 17:21

I believe the NASB's choice to translate ἐντός [entos] as "in your midst" makes for a far more proper/sensible and contextual understanding of this passage in Luke, don't you (though the Kingdom of God can, of course, be found within the hearts of all who have become true believers).

20 Now having been questioned by the Pharisees as to when the kingdom of God was coming, He answered them and said, “The kingdom of God is not coming with signs to be observed;
21 nor will they say, ‘Look, here it is!’ or, ‘There it is!’ For behold, the kingdom of God is in your midst.” ~Luke 17
As for Buddha's quote, since he didn't believe in a "god", where else but "inward" would he have chosen to look for the peace that God offers us in Christ alone?

Yours in Christ,
David

"Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not
as the world gives, do I give to you. Let not your
heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful"

John 14:27

Last edited:
Reactions: Press On
Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'd like to start this thread to try and compile some "universal truth's"...

I'll give an example of one, combining some of man's wisdom with God's wisdom to discover what could be a universal, innate in us, universal concept, or truth...

"Karma" (man's wisdom) "You reap what you sow" (God's wisdom) "What goes around, comes around" (man's wisdom) "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you", "for this is law (universal truth) and the prophet's (point?)" (God's wisdom, golden rule or universal truth or law) Treat other's how you want (or expect) to be treated" (man's wisdom, golden rule or universal truth) Eye for an eye (God's wisdom, OT, Old covenant, not NT, or New Covenant)...

So, I would say "Karma" could be kinda like a universal, innate in us, truth about our world and us in it...

Can you think of others?

Concept's like "reincarnation" or soul or spirit recycling of sorts... Or, "ancestor spirits", how we are tied and connected to our lineage or bloodlines, in a spiritual concept of a sense of some sort...? Astral projection/spirit travel...?

Got any more or wish to expound some on these?

God Bless!
I did have one man exclaim in horror that if what I claimed Jesus did on the cross is correct (took the sin of the world upon his sinless self), then He (Jesus) had opened up a black hole in Karma.
But also Jesus' injunction to "So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them", and "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you", stands a head and shoulders above the general golden rule which is "Treat not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful"

So in so far as Karma is a concept of universal justice then I guess that it might be regarded as similar to a Biblical concept.

It is interesting that the idea of "an eye for an eye" was actually a justice limiting principle in a world where "just" retribution for an offence often went far beyond the damage carried out by the original offence.

Reincarnation as a philosophy, however, stands in opposition to: And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment (Hebrews 9) , and the idea of disembodied Human spirits moving around is not at all Jewish and therefore not Biblical (although most Greek influenced Christians might disagree).

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
ValleyGal,

Unless you define love, it means nothing. Are you referring to the love of the prostitute or suicide bomber?

You would be better grounded in Psalm 111:7-8 (NIV), 'The works of his [the Lord's] hands are faithful and just; all his precepts are trustworthy.
8 They are established for ever and ever, enacted in faithfulness and uprightness'.

So, the one absolute standard is the nature of God, which does not change (see Mal 3:6, 'I the Lord do not change'.)

Oz
There is only one love. According to 1 John, God is love. To understand love, you have to understand his nature - it is good, and seeks the good for others. How love looks is different when you apply it to different situations. Love is always right....the "love" of a prostitute is not love; it is fulfilling lust of the flesh. The suicide bomber is not loving those he kills; love is life-giving.

Love is always right. Flesh that out.... you seem intelligent. What does it mean to you?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There is only one absolute truth: Love is always right.
And God is love, so God is truth. :)

I look at the Old Testament and see serious problems with that.

Not to mention, if morality is absolute, then why we're some things that were bad in the Old Testament were okay in the New Testament?

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I look at the Old Testament and see serious problems with that.
The Love we are talking about is not a touchy feely sort of Love but rather an act of will for the benefit of the subject. Gods OT acts including the need for a jealous holiness were intended as a benefit to the whole world that culminated in the crucifixion of Christ Jesus.

Not to mention, if morality is absolute, then why we're some things that were bad in the Old Testament were okay in the New Testament?
Things that were permitted in the OT were as a concession to the hard hearts of men and in some cases to protect the vulnerable from the worse things that would befall them if the bad thing was not tolerated. A lesser of two weevils approach.

Nevertheless the principle of (Agape) Love as the foundation of ethics is indeed absolute and in so far as the fundamental reality of the universe is a person, Love can be demonstrated to be the fundamental property of the universe.

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
"Sons" not "sons of God" :scratch:

What are "universe(S)" :scratch:

Most of this is a nice and fairly benign quote from The Urantia Book Colter, as much of it is taken directly from the Bible .. though CLEARLY not all it was :preach:

The Urantia Book is deceptive in the same way that all other materials are deceptive from religious and cult groups that try to appear Christian-like in their attempts to draw Believers and seekers alike away from the truth of the Bible and thereby, away from the Christian faith.

Our Mormon and JW friends are among the many here who are not allowed to post their materials and promote/evangelize for their particular "faiths" on CF's Christian ONLY boards. If I was a JW or LDS and noticed what you've been posting, I would find this very unfair treatment by CF. In fact, it seems to me that if you are allowed to continue to proselytize for Urantia on these boards, the JW's and LDS's should be able to do likewise, especially since what they believe/teach is certainly no further away from the Christian faith than Urantia is!!

Urantia is NOT a Christian book. It teaches many things which are diametrically opposed to the things that the Bible/Christianity teach. And you doing your best to promote this book and what it teaches (on several of the Christian ONLY boards here at CF) can only mean that your purpose is to teach us Christians why The Urantia Book is the truth, and the Bible is not!

Not good!!

Yours and His,
David

closed.jpg

Upvote 0