Oregon
✟948,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I'd like to start this thread to try and compile some "universal truth's"...

I'll give an example of one, combining some of man's wisdom with God's wisdom to discover what could be a universal, innate in us, universal concept, or truth...

"Karma" (man's wisdom) "You reap what you sow" (God's wisdom) "What goes around, comes around" (man's wisdom) "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you", "for this is law (universal truth) and the prophet's (point?)" (God's wisdom, golden rule or universal truth or law) Treat other's how you want (or expect) to be treated" (man's wisdom, golden rule or universal truth) Eye for an eye (God's wisdom, OT, Old covenant, not NT, or New Covenant)...

So, I would say "Karma" could be kinda like a universal, innate in us, truth about our world and us in it...

Can you think of others?

Concept's like "reincarnation" or soul or spirit recycling of sorts... Or, "ancestor spirits", how we are tied and connected to our lineage or bloodlines, in a spiritual concept of a sense of some sort...? Astral projection/spirit travel...?

Got any more or wish to expound some on these?

God Bless!

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,911,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi N777, I'm not sure if this is what you are after, but here goes:

"The way to go is the way you know" (Man's wisdom .. actually, this is pretty good advice, especially when you're in a rush :oldthumbsup:)

"The anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God" ~James 1:20

Question: Why are we discussing things like Karma, Reincarnation, Astral Projection, etc., on a Christian board, since the Bible denies/teaches against all of these concepts?

Thanks!

--David

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟948,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi N777, I'm not sure if this is what you are after, but here goes:

The way to go is the way you know (Man's wisdom .. actually, this is pretty good advice, especially when you're in a rush :oldthumbsup:)

The anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God. ~James 1:20​

Question: Why are we discussing things like Karma, Reincarnation, Astral Projection, etc., on a Christian board, since the Bible denies/teaches against all of these concepts?

Thanks!

--David
I don't recall any specific scripture strictly against it, not all of them anyway, not "karma" at least...

Could you give me some? One against Karma?

I got to get back to them though, cause I have to be somewhere in 15 minutes, but I'll check up on this later...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'd like to start this thread to try and compile some "universal truth's"...

I'll give an example of one, combining some of man's wisdom with God's wisdom to discover what could be a universal, innate in us, universal concept, or truth...

"Karma" (man's wisdom) "You reap what you sow" (God's wisdom) "What goes around, comes around" (man's wisdom) "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you", "for this is law (universal truth) and the prophet's (point?)" (God's wisdom, golden rule or universal truth or law) Treat other's how you want (or expect) to be treated" (man's wisdom, golden rule or universal truth) Eye for an eye (God's wisdom, OT, Old covenant, not NT, or New Covenant)...

So, I would say "Karma" could be kinda like a universal, innate in us, truth about our world and us in it...

Can you think of others?

Concept's like "reincarnation" or soul or spirit recycling of sorts... Or, "ancestor spirits", how we are tied and connected to our lineage or bloodlines, in a spiritual concept of a sense of some sort...? Astral projection/spirit travel...?

Got any more or wish to expound some on these?

God Bless!
I'm a Christian. I don't expound on anything. I confess Jesus as Savior and look to the path that He has prepared for me.

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,911,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I don't recall any specific scripture strictly against it, not all of them anyway, not "karma" at least...

Could you give me some? One against Karma?

I got to get back to them though, cause I have to be somewhere in 15 minutes, but I'll check up on this later...

God Bless!

Here's a verse that comes to mind that drives a nail into the coffin of reincarnation, karma, and anything else that speaks to the past and/or future "existences" of a person.
It is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment. ~Hebrews 9:27
I'll need to get back to you about the rest when I return.

Yours in Christ,
David

Last edited:
Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is no karma. God says it rains on the just and the unjust alike. Karma is a cruel idea, in my opinion. It suggests that people who suffer deserve it in some fashion. God can use suffering and allows suffering, but it does not follow that a suffering person did something wrong to deserve it. One thing that refutes karma is the verse about the evil man flourishing like the green bay tree. And the tares grow up alongside the wheat. We see it all around us, people who are corrupt prospering and never made accountable. This world is not just. Think about the countless numbers of high placed people who have never paid for fleecing people. This is why we are to not love this old, unjust world.

I have heard it often expressed this way "It is the way of the world..."

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,911,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Love is always right.

Agreed, as long as the "love" we are talking about is a Godly love, IOW, is a love that does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth .. 1 Corinthians 13:6

4 Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant,
5 does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered,
6 does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth;
7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8 Love never fails ~1 Corinthians 13

Yours in Christ,
David

"The wicked strut about on every side when vileness
is exalted among
the sons of men"
Psalm 12:8

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟948,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Those scriptures say nothing against the concept of Karma at all, how is it that you think they do?
I'll give you one against karma: Genesis 1:1 thru Revelation 22:21.

You're welcome.

Here's a verse that comes to mind that drives a nail into the coffin of reincarnation, karma, and anything else that speaks to the past and/or future "existences" of a person.

I'll need to get back to you about the rest when I return.

Yours in Christ,
David

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟948,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
There is no karma. God says it rains on the just and the unjust alike. Karma is a cruel idea, in my opinion. It suggests that people who suffer deserve it in some fashion. God can use suffering and allows suffering, but it does not follow that a suffering person did something wrong to deserve it. One thing that refutes karma is the verse about the evil man flourishing like the green bay tree. And the tares grow up alongside the wheat. We see it all around us, people who are corrupt prospering and never made accountable. This world is not just. Think about the countless numbers of high placed people who have never paid for fleecing people. This is why we are to not love this old, unjust world.

I have heard it often expressed this way "It is the way of the world..."
But, scripture teaches us that by the concept of Karma, or you reap what you sow, that the wages of sin is death, and eternal death at that, that we deserve the worst, but, that, by believing in Jesus Christ, that we get to get out of what rightfully deserve according to the biblical concept of karma...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟948,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
There are lots of universal truths I can think of that aren't idioms... do they have to be idioms? :)
Preferably not, nor antimetaboles either, it's hard to deduce universal truths from those, but, if you can present one along with the explanation of the logical truth of it, then so be it...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Tetra

Dec 18, 2016
Earth
✟64,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Preferably not, nor antimetaboles either, it's hard to deduce universal truths from those, but, if you can present one along with the explanation of the logical truth of it, then so be it...

God Bless!
This does make it much easier.

The laws of logic are objective, such as the law of non-contradiction.

Any basic fundamental mathematic principle such as the addition of positive values equals a positive sum.

One that I find interesting is the gravitational constant. Technically not a universal truth since it's dependant on the existence of the universe... but universal within the universe itself. How it even works blows my mind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟948,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm reminded of a Star Trek episode, where the engineer, had a designer on board, and they were arguing and fighting, and the designer noticed and asked the engineer about him, reorienting the dilithium cyrstal latice structure and the engineer said, he had to do that in a crisis to get them out of it, and she, the designer, said "Funny, we figured that out also, and were going to introduce it in the next class starships?"

The engineer said "Look, when were out here dealing with the real world applications (of their technology, in our case knowledge) then it's reasonable to assume, that, sometimes were going to come up with the same solutions (Ideas and concepts of knowledge in our case here) that you do."

I think this is a lot like man's wisdom or knowledge, and God's wisdom and knowledge, like the "Concept" and "idea" of the "word" karma, to me is the same as the Biblical concept, thought and idea...

Just because the concept is described a little differently and they use a or different word, or words for it, does not mean it is not, the very same "concept" or "idea" or "thought", and this is what I'm looking for... Moments where the designer and engineer are in agreement... But, it requires that both the designer and engineers put aside their "egos" for a minute...

God Bless!

Reactions: Tetra
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟948,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
This does make it much easier.

The laws of logic are objective, such as the law of non-contradiction.

Any basic fundamental mathematic principle such as the addition of positive values equals a positive sum.

One that I find interesting is the gravitational constant. Technically not a universal truth since it's dependant on the existence of the universe... but universal within the universe itself. How it even works blows my mind.
I'm not familiar with that, in detail, could you explain or expound further? How the the gravitational constant is universal within the universe? A little on how that is or works?

Or the law of non-contradiction? Not very familiar with that either?

Much Thanks,

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Tetra

Dec 18, 2016
Earth
✟64,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not familiar with that, in detail, could you explain or expound further? How the the gravitational constant is universal within the universe? A little on how that is or works?

Or the law of non-contradiction? Not very familiar with that either?

Much Thanks,

God Bless!
Just on my mobile so hard explain in full. Basically, all fundamental rules of logic stem from God. They were not invented, rather, they were discovered. The law of non-contradiction is one of these laws. It means, A cannot be both A and non-A in the same sense or context. It's a law we all live by, every human, whether or not we realize it. Say I told you, you're getting your paycheck today, but not today. You'd be confused and ask for either clarification, or simply ask which one was it, is it today or not today? Note, it must be in the same sense and context. I'm not talking about, that car is red, but you seem to think it's burgundy. This is different. I'm saying when there is a direct contradiction, like, that car is both red and not red in the SAME context. :)

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟948,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Just on my mobile so hard explain in full. Basically, all fundamental rules of logic stem from God. They were not invented, rather, they were discovered. The law of non-contradiction is one of these laws. It means, A cannot be both A and non-A in the same sense or context. It's a law we all live by, every human, whether or not we realize it. Say I told you, you're getting your paycheck today, but not today. You'd be confused and ask for either clarification, or simply ask which one was it, is it today or not today? Note, it must be in the same sense and context. I'm not talking about, that car is red, but you seem to think it's burgundy. This is different. I'm saying when there is a direct contradiction, like, that car is both red and not red in the SAME context. :)
Oh, OK, thanks,

Is that like, where most people think scripture seems to contradict, it is only because God is saying the car is red, whereas you seem to think it is burgundy, but it is red, you just can't see that, and so, you only think it is a contradiction, when it is not a direct contradiction?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Tetra

Dec 18, 2016
Earth
✟64,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh, OK, thanks,

Is that like, where most people think scripture seems to contradict, it is only because God is saying the car is red, whereas you seem to think it is burgundy, but it is red, you just can't see that, and so, you only think it is a contradiction, when it is not a direct contradiction?

God Bless!
That might be a good way to look at it. Sometimes we think there's a contradiction when there isn't...
Consider:
  1. If scripture is infallible, it cannot contradict itself
  2. There "seems" to be a contradiction
  3. Therefore, if 1 is true, and 2 is true, we must simply be misunderstanding scripture.
The gravitational constant is G = 6.67408 × 10-11 m3 kg-1 s-2

It's kinda cool, because no matter what, it always stays the same! The constant never changes. So while gravity feels different on the moon then the earth, that's only due to the mass of the object. All over the universe, the constant for G is always the same, only mass differs.

Upvote 0