2KnowHim

Dying to Live
Feb 18, 2007
✟9,963.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But its presumptious to a certain extent to believe you experience divine personal revelations...you are basically elevating yourself to the rank of a Prophet.

The devil can and does actively impersonate God.

We ultimately have two reliable sources of information about our faith: the Bible, and the traditions of the Apostles and Fathers.

Presumptious??.. To receive a Revelation of The Word is an Unveiling of Christ within you, and make no mistake it is "Personal".
Just because someone else has not as of yet, does not mean they won't either.
There is No privite interpretation of the scriptures, this is true, it is available to all who walk with Him. But there are also many things that can interfere with receiving those Revelations too.

But we are to share what the Lord has revealed to us for the edifying of the body are we not?
Rev 19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

We only have one teacher and that is The Holy Spirit. We must hear His Voice today, He has not stopped talking as some think. The Scriptures are important, but to Hear Him interpret those scriptures is more important.
And there is NO Division when He teaches. The only division there is, is from Error to Truth.

Joh 10:4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.
Joh 10:5 And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.

So, I can say this with all assurance, that if we were to disagree of what a certain portion of scripture means, then I can promise you that one of us is Wrong. Because there is absolute Unity in the Spirit of God.

Upvote 0

jugghead

Growing
May 25, 2015
Smyrna, TN
✟24,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.
And what also is the testimony of Jesus? it is the gospel (good news) of reconciliation ..... The death and destruction of evil men is good news to many (which I see as the broad way or a path heavily trodden)taken by many) ..... but the salvation of the man (soul) through the separation and destruction of the evil (spirit) it was one with, is what is good news to us ..... what word will God use in you to the separate your soul from your old spirit? ..... (piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit (Heb 4:12)

Old spirit being .... your first perspective of who the Father is

blue is my edits of my original post

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
But its presumptious to a certain extent to believe you experience divine personal revelations...you are basically elevating yourself to the rank of a Prophet.
Hmmm, now we know how all those fundamentalist preachers really made the decisions to go to man made schools to elevate themselves to the ranks of PASTORS. God never 'really' called them....right?

The devil can and does actively impersonate God.
Now there's an understatement explaining the entire structure of 666 different "Christian" denominations, I guess.

We ultimately have two reliable sources of information about our faith: the Bible, and the traditions of the Apostles and Fathers.
IF you only added "Moses" to that testimony, you'd pretty much fit the definition the Pharisees used to claim to being 'right'.

Upvote 0

jugghead

Growing
May 25, 2015
Smyrna, TN
✟24,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hmmm, now we know how all those fundamentalist preachers really made the decisions to go to man made schools to elevate themselves to the ranks of PASTORS. God never 'really' called them....right?

Now there's an understatement explaining the entire structure of 666 different "Christian" denominations, I guess.

IF you only added "Moses" to that testimony, you'd pretty much fit the definition the Pharisees used to claim to being 'right'.

Thank you brother

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I always viewed being led to do something ("calling") as different from the function of a prophet - which is to deliver a message to ALL of the human race. If Jesus is viewed as both God and a Prophet par excellence, then it would seem unnecessary for God to send further prophets to the human race after Him, which is also why the Apostles spoke/taught in His Name and taught what He taught them rather than claiming to be prophets from God.

They also warned the Church of people claiming to be teaching in His Name but that teaching in conflict with what the Church heard/knew the Apostles say/said. Which became the litmus for any teaching considered "new" or even someone expounding on the "old".

BTW none of the Apostles or Jesus Himself are ever quoted teaching that after death, the fate of the damned was a temporary condition. In fact in the quotes of God Himself, He compares the eternalness of one fate with fate of the opposite using the same word/phrasing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I guess above all and because He is Love, if He was teaching the UR view one would think because certainly everyone wants loved ones to avoid severe punishment, He would have softened His depiction of the next life by including the necessary tidbit that the fate of the damned was not sealed forever upon their death. He did not do that. Instead it was emphasized by Him and His Apostles repeatedly that there is One Final judgment after which there is an eternal fate.

Could He do it as an exception for individuals?
Well even some of the Fathers considered all things are possible with God, but God Himself did not mention there would be an exception available for all who failed in this life - which the Final Judgment determines.

Is He required to do it for everyone, required to save us all because He is Love?
No. God is Love. He is Love before He made anything and was not required to make us. If we accept that He gave us free will then our choices are a given, which means He can not force us to make a choice against our will. He can certainly move us and also use our choices either way we make them, but our free will makes the choice.

Some say, well if He only gave us more time to learn the errors of ways. Yeah and I could see that being confined to a very unpleasant place would provide some incentive. However, even God's Word declares that for some people, even if He made the rocks cry out (and He could), they still would never believe. He did not indicate that all they needed was a little (or a lot of)negative reinforcement. The rocks crying out would be positive and most consider superior to negative reinforcement.

Clearly our offending God (sin) must have eternal consequence, which made His Action on the Cross necessary to make it POSSIBLE for us individually to be able to approach Him again. Not force us, but make it possible for us to not only choose to love Him, Who is deserving of all our love, with all our heart - but then also for those doing that in this life, clean them up after this life so they may approach Him, body and soul in eternal Glory.

Furthermore, if being in eternal Glory means a full presence with Good, then the opposite fate of the Final Judgment must reflect the full absence. Left fully to themselves, in the full absence of Good, it is unclear to me how we would expect those who would reject the testimony of rocks crying out would suddenly find themselves loving the Good with all their hearts. The opposite of love is hate. So the only outcome that makes sense is the damned would "learn" to hate God more, not less.

Upvote 0

jugghead

Growing
May 25, 2015
Smyrna, TN
✟24,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I guess above all and because He is Love, if He was teaching the UR view one would think because certainly everyone wants loved ones to avoid severe punishment, He would have softened His depiction of the next life by including the necessary tidbit that the fate of the damned was not sealed forever upon their death. He did not do that. Instead it was emphasized by Him and His Apostles repeatedly that there is One Final judgment after which there is an eternal fate.

Well even some of the Fathers considered all things are possible with God, but God Himself did not mention there would be an exception available for all who failed in this life - which the Final Judgment determines.

Is He required to do it for everyone, required to save us all because He is Love?
No. God is Love. He is Love before He made anything and was not required to make us. If we accept that He gave us free will then our choices are a given, which means He can not force us to make a choice against our will. He can certainly move us and also use our choices either way we make them, but our free will makes the choice.

Some say, well if He only gave us more time to learn the errors of ways. Yeah and I could see that being confined to a very unpleasant place would provide some incentive. However, even God's Word declares that for some people, even if He made the rocks cry out (and He could), they still would never believe. He did not indicate that all they needed was a little (or a lot of)negative reinforcement. The rocks crying out would be positive and most consider superior to negative reinforcement.

Clearly our offending God (sin) must have eternal consequence, which made His Action on the Cross necessary to make it POSSIBLE for us individually to be able to approach Him again. Not force us, but make it possible for us to not only choose to love Him, Who is deserving of all our love, with all our heart - but then also for those doing that in this life, clean them up after this life so they may approach Him, body and soul in eternal Glory.

Furthermore, if being in eternal Glory means a full presence with Good, then the opposite fate of the Final Judgment must reflect the full absence. Left fully to themselves, in the full absence of Good, it is unclear to me how we would expect those who would reject the testimony of rocks crying out would suddenly find themselves loving the Good with all their hearts. The opposite of love is hate. So the only outcome that makes sense is the damned would "learn" to hate God more, not less.

Just one question:

Do you think it foolish or unwise for us to believe what we do?

Upvote 0

brixken7

Dec 24, 2014
Arizona
✟15,660.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

You make one outrageous statement after another, after another, after another -- all without giving as much as ONE supporting scripture!
I'm tempted to print it out and save it because it's such a classic diatribe against God's sovereignty, His love for His creatures, and His divine plan for mankind.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You make one outrageous statement after another, after another, after another -- all without giving as much as ONE supporting scripture!
I'm tempted to print it out and save it because it's such a classic diatribe against God's sovereignty, His love for His creatures, and His divine plan for mankind.
I have found showing someone scriptures, especially when it contradicts their feelings and sentiments about what it means to them to BE Love, is rather pointless. If someone is convinced God is Love is saying He has no Wrath or Justice of eternal effect, (or otherwise diminishing those in deference to Love) then I doubt pointing out scriptures indicating He spoke in equal manner regarding the eternity of Glory and damnation in the next life will make a difference.

If I pointed out that God told His Apostles He would die for "many" rather than saying "all", it is unlikely to change anyone's mind. We do not agree what such scripture means, so why waste your time and mine playing dueling quotes?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just one question:

Do you think it foolish or unwise for us to believe what we do?
I thought I quoted you above but in case it was missed, I think it is dangerous.

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I always viewed being led to do something ("calling") as different from the function of a prophet - which is to deliver a message to ALL of the human race.
But the issue here is 'God speaking to people by way of "divine personal revelation". That's really all I'm speaking to. But I might add that I don't think a prophet is to just speak to the whole human race. I'd say that scripturally speaking he is more called to speaking to the people of God...mostly...IMO.

If Jesus is viewed as both God and a Prophet par excellence, then it would seem unnecessary for God to send further prophets to the human race after Him, which is also why the Apostles spoke/taught in His Name and taught what He taught them rather than claiming to be prophets from God.
If the calling of the prophet is to 'hear God' for His will today concerning things, then they are still needed just as much as ever IMO.

[quuote]They also warned the Church of people claiming to be teaching in His Name but that teaching in conflict with what the Church heard/knew the Apostles say/said. Which became the litmus for any teaching considered "new" or even someone expounding on the "old".[/quote] They are obviously just as much in need today in that case. There is so much variance in doctrine in the 666 (sic) denominations today that there is scarcely true 'unity of the body' IMO. Seems like the church mandates we be 'twin brothers' when in application we treat each other like 'step brothers'....at best.

BTW none of the Apostles or Jesus Himself are ever quoted teaching that after death, the fate of the damned was a temporary condition. In fact in the quotes of God Himself, He compares the eternalness of one fate with fate of the opposite using the same word/phrasing.
If you truly understand our belief you realize that neither Jesus or the apostles ever believed in 'eternal torture' to begin with.

Upvote 0

James Is Back

CF's Official Locksmith
Aug 21, 2014
Oklahoma
✟32,480.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
If you truly understand our belief you realize that neither Jesus or the apostles ever believed in 'eternal torture' to begin with.

These verses says otherwise:

Mark 9:42-43 New King James Version (NKJV)
42 “But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were thrown into the sea. 43 If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed, rather than having two hands, to go to hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched—

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I guess above all and because He is Love, if He was teaching the UR view one would think because certainly everyone wants loved ones to avoid severe punishment,
I don't know if that's true. I'm glad that I believe His hand will deal out whatever measure of 'severe punishment' is needed to accomplish his plan from the beginning.

He would have softened His depiction of the next life by including the necessary tidbit that the fate of the damned was not sealed forever upon their death.
Show me one verse that believes what you just said. But do so in YLT, CLT, ROTHERHAMS along with many other reputable translations.

He did not do that. Instead it was emphasized by Him and His Apostles repeatedly that there is One Final judgment after which there is an eternal fate.
Not IMO. Poor translations again. Give me one verse in those translations.

Clearly our offending God (sin) must have eternal consequence, which made His Action on the Cross necessary to make it POSSIBLE for us individually to be able to approach Him again.
So how is the 'offending God of sin' doing in the church today? I believe one trip to the cross is sufficient for forgiveness for all eternity actually...OSAS. It is simply a question as to when one makes that confession IMO. You limit God to this age we don't. He has a purpose for "the ages to come" and you don't see that purpose like we do. What purpose do you see?

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But the issue here is 'God speaking to people by way of "divine personal revelation". That's really all I'm speaking to. But I might add that I don't think a prophet is to just speak to the whole human race. I'd say that scripturally speaking he is more called to speaking to the people of God...mostly...IMO.
I can agree to the extent prophets were sent with specific messages to people (ok of God) to mend their ways with usually an or else attached, but the messages in general spoke to the way all people should live with regard to having a relationship with God. And I agree my response over simplified and failed to distinguish public from private (personal) revelation. But a calling is still neither IMO.
If the calling of the prophet is to 'hear God' for His will today concerning things, then they are still needed just as much as ever IMO.
I agree with the Church saying that Jesus is the last such messenger from God concerning His Will for all mankind. IMO God Himself delivering the message would also be a hard act to follow and would imply the message He gave the Apostles was incomplete.
me said:
They also warned the Church of people claiming to be teaching in His Name but that teaching in conflict with what the Church heard/knew the Apostles say/said. Which became the litmus for any teaching considered "new" or even someone expounding on the "old".
They are obviously just as much in need today in that case. There is so much variance in doctrine in the 666 (sic) denominations today that there is scarcely true 'unity of the body' IMO. Seems like the church mandates we be 'twin brothers' when in application we treat each other like 'step brothers'....at best.
Which is why it was important as the Apostles indicated to remember the things they taught (because of Who taught those things to them) and teach the same to faithful men in order for that to be preserved for future generations. Go an teach and lead the flock is the mission of the Church. He did not say go and wait for further instructions.
I believe I understand your belief. However, they never taught eternal torture because that is not what the opposite of eternal Glory is.
Besides torture would imply a torturer and a motive - to illicit some response from the tortured, neither of which are a part of the orthodox or Church's view of Hell. Hell is an eternal punishment - so there is nothing expected from the damned being sent there. In essence Good (God) is abandoning them to their hearts desire, the love of anything but Him. It is a punitive punishment, simply by separating them from Good. Not all punishment is meant to be redemptive, yet we consider that it still can be called Just.

On the other hand, the idea that people are in extreme pain in order to "teach them the error of their ways" so they might after some period of roasting to come to love God sounds very much like what a torturer would say. It is ok in such a view because it is done for the person's benefit - is something I could see the medieval torturer say to his subjects and to others to justify his actions - something I could not see God doing but apparently many here have no problem with.[/quote]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
These verses says otherwise:

Mark 9:42-43 New King James Version (NKJV)
42 “But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were thrown into the sea. 43 If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed, rather than having two hands, to go to hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched—
No, your understanding says different. All this verse says is that the fire is unquenchable, which means you can't put the fire out. Why not? Well maybe because this metaphorical fire is GOD.

Hebrews 12:29 For our God is a consuming fire.

You want to believe He's eternal but never consuming anything. Just torturing humans (that he really loves) like someone worse than any demonized human who ever lived. We don't believe that way. He will destroy death and hell.

This fire will destroy what needs to be destroyed, just like the worm. You just think it destroys spirits made in the image of God. I believe what is destroyed is 'sinful flesh' by the worm and 'sinful soulish thinking'' by the fire.

Matthew 10:28 (NKJV) "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

The spirit is unmentioned in your HELL and our gehenna. Will spirits go to a prison for an age or period of time? Oh yes, 1 Peter confirms this concerning the spirits who disobeyed in the days of Noah IMO. And what happens to disobedient spirits there AFTER DEATH according to scripture? Jesus preaches to them and then takes captivity captive and leads the captives free IMO.

1PE 3:19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah,

You know what happened to body/souls of ALL the people in the days of Noah right? They ALL died in the flood. And their spirits went to prison only to be preached to thousands of years later.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't know if that's true. I'm glad that I believe His hand will deal out whatever measure of 'severe punishment' is needed to accomplish his plan from the beginning.
As am sure the medieval king looked at the result of his direction to torture people to accomplish his plan would justify doing so.
(adding- IOW the ends justify the means to get his subjects to comply.)
Hebrews 4:15 For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin

John 8:29 "And He who sent Me is with Me; He has not left Me alone, for I always do the things that are pleasing to Him."

Isaiah 53:9 His grave was assigned with wicked men, Yet He was with a rich man in His death, Because He had done no violence, Nor was there any deceit in His mouth.

1 Peter 1:18-19 knowing that you were not redeemed with perishable things like silver or gold from your futile way of life inherited from your forefathers, but with precious blood, as of a lamb unblemished and spotless, the blood of Christ.

1 John 3:5 You know that He appeared in order to take away sins; and in Him there is no sin.

Matthew 27:24 When Pilate saw that he was accomplishing nothing, but rather that a riot was starting, he took water and washed his hands in front of the crowd, saying, "I am innocent of this Man's blood; see to that yourselves."

Luke 1:35 The angel answered and said to her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; and for that reason the holy Child shall be called the Son of God

No God is not a torturer, but in the UR apparently so.
Show me one verse that believes what you just said. But do so in YLT, CLT, ROTHERHAMS along with many other reputable translations.
Haha, the only verse where God Himself is quoted speaking of the eternity of Hell He is comparing that fate equally to those going to Heaven. So to be consistent, (as some are and I respect that) anyone's time in Heaven has to be as temporary as one claims Hell to be.
Not IMO. Poor translations again. Give me one verse in those translations.
Am not interested in debating the meaning of age using quotes from writings of the Apostles and picking various translations to support an opinion already held - my point again is the only quotes we have of Jesus speaking of duration in regards to Heaven and Hell - He treats those two fates equally and makes no such distinctions (where one could then talk about "ages").
So how is the 'offending God of sin' doing in the church today? I believe one trip to the cross is sufficient for forgiveness for all eternity actually...OSAS. It is simply a question as to when one makes that confession IMO. You limit God to this age we don't. He has a purpose for "the ages to come" and you don't see that purpose like we do. What purpose do you see?
Nice try. I do not limit God.
Am not the one here limiting Him to only being able to administer redemptive punishment. Which is most odd and a further limiting position/view of God when the Bible depicts Him using both types of punishment already. Am not the one here saying God is limited to only being able to torture people in some sick idea of getting them to see the error of their ways - just like the medieval torture am certain felt he was doing.

Do you think the Apostles "unsaved" while following Him for 3 years or were they saved?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jerry kelso

Food For Thought
Mar 13, 2013
✟104,142.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I'm reading a book a book whose purpose is to give "three views of hell", traditional, anihilation, and universal reconciliation. My question is, " do you think universal reconciliation is heresy?

smoky,

1. There are two basic judgements of men in the bible by God concerning the afterlife.
The first one is the Believer's judgement of works and the second is the second death which is judgement for the unbeliever. One is either a believer or an unbeliever.

2. 1 Corinthians 3:12-15 and concerns building on the foundation of the church verses 1-11. This doesn't affect salvation, verse 15. This is because the believer has already passed their probationary period on earth and will be in Heaven at this time which is in the middle of the tribulation. Revelation 11:18.

3. The second one is the Great White Throne Judgement which is found in Revelation 20:11-15 where the dead and small and great stand before God: and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. Verse 13; And the sea gave up the dead which were in it, and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. verse 14; And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire, This is the second death. Verse 15; and whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. Verses 4-6 show that the second death will have no power over the believers in the first resurrection. This is why the Great White Throne Judgement is only for unbelievers.
Verse 10 says that the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall t tormented day and night for ever and ever. This is because hell was prepared for the devil and his angels forever and death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

4. Many believe that punishment is not forever and try to prove this by the words second death. They also try to prove that unbelievers are not resurrected and do not have indestructible bodies of immortality and therefore are literally, as in physically dead once and for all.
I do not believe the scripture agrees with this. Why?
a). The devil and his angels had immortality when they were created and they cannot physically die and they will be cast into the lake of fire and never die so the words second death does not apply to physical death.
Jesus told the scribes and the pharisees were children of their father the devil. So it stands to reason that man will and can suffer the same fate of forever and not die. Why?
b). The reason men can die forever is because unbelievers are resurrected to immortality and an indestructible for this is what happens in the resurrection. Revelation 5 says: But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is talking about the unbeliever being raised to life and this life is immortality with the lake of fire as their destiny. Acts 24:15 Paul said he believed in a resurrection of the dead both of the just and unjust. Mortality is given in the resurrection by God who alone has immortality to give. Matthew 25:46; And these (unbelievers) shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal. Everlasting is the same as eternal but destinations are different. If punishment is physical death alone then it can only be as an example to show people in the millennial kingdom the destination of sinners where neither the fire is quenched and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh. Isaiah 66:24.

5. Those who believe in partial annihilation don't believe that Isaiah 66:24; the worm shall not die is a person who is physically alive forever. This makes no sense in the light of what the resurrection produces as far as a resurrected body which is immortality. Mortals must put on immortality to live forever concerning their physical bodies as in 1 Corinthians 15. It is specifically talking about the saints going to heaven but would seem to be the principle for mortal unbelievers as well.

6. Lazarus was in torment in hell at the time of Christ for his soul was alive and when the soul and body are reunited at resurrection then one can see how it is possible to live in torment forever physically and spiritually. Matthew 25:41 talks about the cursed being thrown into the everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels. So the question is can men be tormented alive forever in the lake of fire but will they.

7. The argument against it is that God would be a cruel God to allow that. Some would argue that God was cruel to make man while knowing he would sin and that many would not listen to him and be damned. Also, the devil and his angels will be alive and punished forever for they cannot die because they were given immortality so does that mean God is cruel? Is the fact that in the old testament law if a child disrespected their parents they were stoned. Was this cruel? We may not fully understand such harsh punishment but it was a reality to show how serious God was in children obeying their parents for the heart is deceitful and is born into sin etc.
8. Biblically, UR is a good thought for who wants anyone to go to hell for Lazarus didn't and he was in hell, literally. Partial or conditional annihilation as in being resurrected and then killed permanently doesn't seem to gel with the facts of a resurrected body being immortal. Traditional seems to be the biblical way as far as eternal consequences of live torment of a person as in wailing and gnashing of teeth in everlasting fire. Either way hell and separation from God is a sad reality. Jerry Kelso

Upvote 0

James Is Back

CF's Official Locksmith
Aug 21, 2014
Oklahoma
✟32,480.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
No, your understanding says different. All this verse says is that the fire is unquenchable, which means you can't put the fire out. Why not? Well maybe because this metaphorical fire is GOD.

Hebrews 12:29 For our God is a consuming fire.

Just because there are other verses that have fire in them doesn't make them a parallel to that verse. And even though Hebrews says God is a consuming fire,it doesn't tie into what it says in Mark. There is nothing in Mark that says the everlasting fire is God. There is no correlation between the verses which means your understanding is different not mine.

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I agree with the Church saying that Jesus is the last such messenger from God concerning His Will for all mankind.
I agree with scriptures written after Jesus was ascended.

Acts 21:10 And we remaining many more days, there came down a certain one from Judea, a prophet, by name Agabus,
1 Corinthians 14:32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.
1CO 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets,
1CO 14:37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord. 38 But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.
EPH 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

Hell is an eternal punishment
No it is eternal purposeless punishing with no end. Punishment has a purpose.

On the other hand, the idea that people are in extreme pain in order to "teach them the error of their ways" so they might after some period of roasting to come to love God sounds very much like what a torturer would say.
Then
It is ok in such a view because it is done for the person's benefit - is something I could see the medieval torturer say to his subjects and to others to justify his actions - something I could not see God doing but apparently many here have no problem with.
So tell me why God is meeting your "medieval torturer" definition by burning believers with fire to save them according to scripture?

1CO 3:9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building.
10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.
11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
....15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Upvote 0