Aug 7, 2007
✟17,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Basically this is a repost of a suggestion I made to the site about including a Christian-Universalist or just Universalist icon to use, as I know there are those who share those beliefs here (including me). They want something simple so it can work small, and I suggested the symbol below, but hopefully others can add their own opinion/input.

OUTREACH300dpi.jpg

Reactions: Sphinx777

Sphinx777

Nov 24, 2007
Bibliotheca Alexandrina
✟10,752.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Universalism can be classified as a religion, theology and philosophy that generally holds all persons and creatures are related to God or the Divine and will be reconciled to God. A church or community that calls itself Universalist may emphasize the universal principles of most religions and accept other religions in an inclusive manner, believing in a universal reconciliation between humanity and the divine. Many religions may have a degree of Universalist theology in their tenets and principles, including Christianity, Hinduism, and New Thought spirituality.
A common principle is that love is a universal binding force.

A belief in one common truth is also another important tenet. The living truth is seen as more far-reaching than national, cultural, or religious boundaries.

:angel:

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Basically this is a repost of a suggestion I made to the site about including a Christian-Universalist or just Universalist icon to use, as I know there are those who share those beliefs here (including me). They want something simple so it can work small, and I suggested the symbol below, but hopefully others can add their own opinion/input
:)

aAc_Stickmen.gif

Upvote 0

Heber

Senior Veteran
Jul 22, 2008
✟21,923.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Surely, if universalism is true and all will be reconciled to G_d eventually, what is the point of having CF. There is absolutely no need for debate or concern about anything to do with G_d because he will save us all, regardless. We may as well just do and say whatever we wish in our lives because it will make no difference ultimately!

Upvote 0
S

SpiritDriven

We already have a symbol a big Cross....like the one where scripture tells us that the Un Godly where Justified at......

Now to the one that works, his wage is not reckoned as a favour, but what is due, but he who does not work but puts his Faith in him who justified the un Godly, his faith is reckoned as righteousness.

The Symbol of Universalism can be found front and centre of every Church...it is a big Cross.....the fact that mainstream is blind to what is right in front of them should not surprise.....especially when it comes to God.

Peace

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Heber

Senior Veteran
Jul 22, 2008
✟21,923.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The cross is a symbol of potential 'universalism' - that is, that G_d's desire for ALL his people is that they will truly repent of their sins and lead a G_dly life. However, by definition, that desire of G_d only becomes valid in your life, by YOUR choice, when his grace is poured out to cover your sin(s) - the grace that the cross in the church so graphically represents. But...grace is only poured out where G_d's law is broken, and in response to true repentance for that transgression - prevenient grace is a concept of hasatan to give everyone a false sense of security.

Thankfully, many see the cross as the means by which all truly repentant sinners are forgiven and not just as a ticket to heaven regardless of an unrepentant lifestyle, which is really what universalism is all about, hence my post above. By the way, the Bible only allows that an individual is responsible, entirely, for his/her own sin. We cannot 'earn' the salvation of and for another person.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Contrary to what Tonks wrote, Universalism and Christianity are not incompatible with each other. Unitarianism might be, but not Universalism. There were many Christian universalists in the early church.

HOWEVER, I think that no special icon is called for merely because one holds this particular belief. We don't have icons for "premillennialism" or "no smoking or immodest dress" or for "must baptise by triple immersion." In other words, it's a single doctrine, not a church or denomination for which we mainly use these icons.

And if it is the Unitarian Universalist Association that is in mind, then I'd agree with Tonks that it does go into non-Christian discussion anyway.

Reactions: Crazy Liz
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Universalism does not have God's stamp of approval on it. If there were a list to vote on, it would look something like this:

1. I believe in God (the God of the Bible) and His Word.
2. I do not believe in God (the God of the Bible) and cetainly not in His Word.
3. I do not need God or Jesus Christ. I made up my own.

Upvote 0

squint

Jul 23, 2007
Mountain Regions
✟20,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Contrary to what Tonks wrote, Universalism and Christianity are not incompatible with each other. Unitarianism might be, but not Universalism. There were many Christian universalists in the early church.

HOWEVER, I think that no special icon is called for merely because one holds this particular belief. We don't have icons for "premillennialism" or "no smoking or immodest dress" or for "must baptise by triple immersion." In other words, it's a single doctrine, not a church or denomination for which we mainly use these icons.

And if it is the Unitarian Universalist Association that is in mind, then I'd agree with Tonks that it does go into non-Christian discussion anyway.

Thanks for an intelligent response. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian

Apokatastasis was condemned as heresy at the 5th Ecumenical Council irrespective of the fact that there were universalists in the early church, Origen et al among them.

At any rate, it violates the Nicene Creed and isn't up for debate in this section of the website.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Apokatastasis was condemned as heresy at the 5th Ecumenical Council.

At any rate, it violates the Nicene Creed and isn't up for debate in this section of the website.

I'm not a Universalist, but I have to point out that both of those conclusions are in error. By definition, a heretic is not a non-Christian; and the Nicene Creed is silent on the matter of who will ultimately be saved.

However, I agree with you that we are not here to discuss the merits of Universalism or even Christian Universalism. I mainly wanted to say that a new and separate icon does not, IMO, seem to be appropriate.

Upvote 0

squint

Jul 23, 2007
Mountain Regions
✟20,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Apokatastasis was condemned as heresy at the 5th Ecumenical Council irrespective of the fact that there were universalists in the early church, Origen et al among them.

The RCC fully allows ANY of its adherents to believe that ALL mankind can potentially go to PURGARTORY and thusly FINAL REDEMPTION. It may not be very common, but IT IS ALLOWED to be held.

"In 2005 Cardinal Murphy O'Connor, Roman Catholic Archbishop of Westminster, reiterated that Universal Salvation was entirely compatible with Catholic teaching and expressed his personal hope for universal salvation."

Upvote 0

squint

Jul 23, 2007
Mountain Regions
✟20,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The doctrine of Universal Salvation is not the same as Universalism.

There is little use in trying to determine what 'your version' of somebody else's views consist of prior to you engaging in the facts of the other version(s), which would probably best be left to another thread.

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
The RCC fully allows ANY of its adherents to believe that ALL mankind can potentially go to PURGARTORY and thusly FINAL REDEMPTION. It may not be very common, but IT IS ALLOWED to be held.

"In 2005 Cardinal Murphy O'Connor, Roman Catholic Archbishop of Westminster, reiterated that Universal Salvation was entirely compatible with Catholic teaching and expressed his personal hope for universal salvation."

In the sense that one may "hope for" such...it cannot be taught that mankind will. Promoting it is settled doctrine is heretical and hoping for the possibility is a heterodox position within Catholicism

Two different things.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.