Under pressure over racist texts, SFPD releases transcripts

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Under pressure over racist texts, SFPD releases transcripts
San Francisco Police Chief Greg Suhr released transcripts Friday of racist and homophobic text messages that were allegedly exchanged between a former Taraval Station lieutenant and two former officers — messages that came to light after a woman accused one of the officers of raping her.

The messages are loaded with slurs and ugly stereotypes, and include one from an officer responding to a photo of a blackened Thanksgiving turkey. "Is that a Ferguson turkey?" the officer asks, referring to the city in Missouri that saw widespread protests after police fatally shot an unarmed African American man in 2014.

[...]

Some of the messages, which include derogatory and at times threatening statements toward black, Latino, Indian, transgender and gay people, were released by Public Defender Jeff Adachi on Tuesday, when he announced that his office was reviewing more than 200 cases that the officers' bias may have tainted and may need to be dismissed.

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
These are not the people you want defending you. I'm amused by off color jokes, but these don't seem like most of them are in jest. They seem like they are mean spirited and represent a true bias based soley on race/sexual preference.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What's worse is that some cases may be thrown out because of this, some cases should definitely be thrown out, but there will be others where if not for these thugs with badges, would keep dangerous people off the street.
This reminds me of when someone at my work place described a cop shooting a gang member as gang on gang violence :D.

Reactions: SummerMadness
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
This reminds me of when someone at my work place described a cop shooting a gang member as gang on gang violence :D.
I feel sorry the good police officers that receive a bad rap for the actions of less upstanding officers. However, the main issue is they are a part of a dysfunctional system that enables this undesired behavior. Rather than reform, many rush to defend a system that puts themselves and the public at risk.

Upvote 0

Murby

Feb 4, 2016
USA
✟4,630.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
For the past 15 years, I have been absolutely astounded that people are so stupid that they post things on Facebook, twitter, text messages and all the other places that keep your history forever.

Read my lips: Anything you say can and will be used against you. (And its not just the law that will use it against you, its everyone)

Always keep that in mind when posting to forums, text messaging, facebook, twitter and all the other places.. You're basically just giving others ammunition to use against you at a later date.

Cops should know this.. These must be really stupid cops.

Upvote 0