• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Unbelief

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Have you ever had someone tell you that they don't believe in mental illness? They think all of it is fake, bad, lazy. How does that make you feel inside?

For example, if a relative or friend said it not knowing you were ill.

Last edited:
R

Robin Shawn

I have never had it happen to me, but I know of it happening to others, and I feel sorry for the people who think that way out of ignorance. Mental illness is very real and can be very disabling, and no one chooses it. It isn't just mental, but physical, too, for it is a chemical imbalance in the brain that causes it.

My advice to you is to not let anyone criticize you unfairly. God knows, and you know.

Shawn

Upvote 0
D

detachment

Yes unfortunaltly I have. Dr Caroline Leaf saying there is a cure I bought all her books did everything in them even bought a app. I was almost hospitalized for reducing my medication I was heart broken. I went to croos current church in port huron Michigan told them I was mentally ill they laid hands on me prayed for me and told me to dump my medication down the toilet. I was like this is it I've made it out listend to them dumped my meds and was hospitalized and became disabled. Disabled because it was the straw that broke the camels back as psychosis became very very worse. No one from that church visited me in the hospital I forgive them for being kindy garden Christians.My brother says I'm lazy and is totally not sympathetic. I have excepted this is a life long thing I will be on disability the rest of my life. Schizoaffective bipolar disorder schizophrenia symtoms bipolar also depression and anxiety. I was an an award winning production carpenter what if I did not dump my meds down the toilet I was working and stable. To them HE will say I never knew you!!!

Upvote 0

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Detachment, wow, that's tough. My thoughts are with you. Thank you for sharing that. I myself will go a while without someone saying anything; then comes some comment and I'm caught off guard thinking they would never say such a thing.

Robin, thank you for the encouragement to forgive.

Upvote 0