an oddity

Mar 28, 2012
USA
✟15,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I found this article most refreshing and wish our President would follow this example.

Ugandan president repents of personal, national sins

“We want to dedicate this nation to you so that you will be our God and guide. We want Uganda to be known as a nation that fears God and as a nation whose foundations are firmly rooted in righteousness and justice to fulfill what the Bible says in Psalm 33:12: Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord. A people you have chosen as your own,” Museveni prayed.

As God's glory departs the USA perhaps it will alight on Uganda.

revanneosl

Mystically signifying since 1985
Feb 25, 2007
Northern Illniois
✟39,310.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Given that the President has spent the last four years being regularly lambasted by the Right for engaging in a completely fictitious "apology tour", I wouldn't hold out any hope of him publically repenting for America's national sins.

Also, Uganda is presently gearing up to pass a law to allow them to murder thousands of men, women and children, so there's that as well

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,615.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I found this article most refreshing and wish our President would follow this example.

Ugandan president repents of personal, national sins

As God's glory departs the USA perhaps it will alight on Uganda.
I could see the Republicans complaining about another apology tour.:D Obama asking forgiveness for all of the sins this nation has been a part of over the past 200+ years, would be a great idea.

I didn't see Yoweri Museveni asking forgiveness for all of the gays that they plan to kill when the Anti-homosexuality bill passes this month.

Upvote 0

revanneosl

Mystically signifying since 1985
Feb 25, 2007
Northern Illniois
✟39,310.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0
Nov 16, 2009
Kentucky
✟12,610.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yay for a Christian nation that is...living under archaic Judaic law...?!

Qua?! Ok repent for your sins, great, but don't go sinning more by murdering people the bible told you to love!!!!

Does anyone know if that bill to kill the gays is an old law that was previously enforced, or is it something recently cooked up in an effort to slow the spread of HIV?
I watched a special on TV about it, but they never got into the origins of the bill. They focused more on the advocates for it and against it, and why it's being considered.

I'd like to know if they are scaling it up or creating it from thin air.:sorry:

Sad though really. Those ppl need prayers and counsel, not the death penalty.:prayer:

Upvote 0

wannabeadesigirl

Dec 28, 2007
✟17,294.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
Does anyone know if that bill to kill the gays is an old law that was previously enforced, or is it something recently cooked up in an effort to slow the spread of HIV?
I watched a special on TV about it, but they never got into the origins of the bill. They focused more on the advocates for it and against it, and why it's being considered.

I'd like to know if they are scaling it up or creating it from thin air.:sorry:

Sad though really. Those ppl need prayers and counsel, not the death penalty.:prayer:

Uganda Anti-Homosexuality Bill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As of last Friday...
BBC News - Uganda Anti-Homosexuality Bill: MPs drop death penalty

I couldn't find anything on what prompted the bill, but wikipedia states that extensive missionary work in the area by anti-gay groups may have contributed. I'm glad the death penalty has been dropped, but I think that there is alot of misinformation about gay people going around that needs to be addressed before more harm is done.

I mean the whole idea that HIV and AIDS is "the gay disease" needs to go away. There are more heterosexual women and young children (of any orientation) with AIDS in Africa than there are gays with the disease.
And I've yet to meet a gay man who's molested a child...

Pardon my rambling. This whole situation has me frustrated, angered, and freakishly sad and rambling is how I cope.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bethesda

Sep 11, 2012
✟8,601.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Is it possible that some men are active in both hetero/homo sex, thereby spreading HIV?

Well one theory re Africa is that AIDS spread up from the coast via truck drivers and soldiers who had had sex with prostitutes - how the latter got it I don't know. I don't think in general that homosexuality is big at all in sub-Saharan Africa anyway - both in terms of the long influence of the Church but also in terms of African traditional cultures either - but of course its a very masculine culture in the main so having lots of kids etc is a sign of power etc

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,615.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I read a news report which came out after the BBC reported that the death penalty had been dropped which said that it was erroneous. The Bill is still in a subcommittee which cannot change the Bill, according to that report. The Ugandan Supreme Court did strike down the parts of the 1st Bill including the death penalty, stating that it violated their Constitution against discrimination.

The Ugandan legislators are probably trying to find a way to state the new Bill which allows it to pass the constitutionality test.
Status of Uganda Anti-Gay Bill Unclear; U.S. Religious Right Support Isn’t | Sexuality/Gender | Religion Dispatches
But on Tuesday, according to the Washington Blade, the Obama administration disputed reports that the committee in question had either dropped the death penalty provisions or moved the bill forward. On Wednesday, Ugandan activists and spokespersons for All Out, an international equality organization, said that while some members of parliament have claimed that the death penalty provision has been removed, the only version of the bill available to the public still contains that language. They say the bill could come up for a vote as early as next week.

Another source claims the Bill also allows people who claim to have been abused to retaliate in whatever means they feel is necessary, including killing another person.
Uganda will pass anti-homosexuality bill this year, says Speaker | World news | guardian.co.uk

The phrase "related practices" could mean anything and leaves the door open to subjective interpretations. This is later spelled out in more detail to the extent that "touching – with the intent to commit a homosexual act" is a crime. Any form of advocacy and failure to report an offense will be subject to a fine and up to three years in prison. This will include medical staff, counselors, priests and pastors, employers and family members. One of the worst aspects of the bill is in clause five, which effectively allows "victims" to kill anyone they claim has committed a homosexual offense against them.
[1] A victim of homosexuality shall not be penalized for any crime committed as a direct result of his or her involvement in homosexuality.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,615.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Is it possible that some men are active in both hetero/homo sex, thereby spreading HIV?
That is quite possible but heterosexual men and women have been spreading HIV in Africa far faster than homosexuals.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HiLo

Nov 9, 2012
✟1,134.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Everything about this story and this law is tragic. But what's more tragic is "christians" supporting the murder of sinners, in the name of Jesus Christ. I don't know what bible is floating around some of the evangelical communities, but we need to gather these false prophet books up and burn them because they are obviously NOT, bibles that include the teachings of Christ. Slandering Christ's name with talk of murder and bigotry, is unspeakable. If you support this law, leave Christ out of it. Nothing in His teachings supports such blaspheme.

Upvote 0
Nov 16, 2009
Kentucky
✟12,610.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Everything about this story and this law is tragic. But what's more tragic is "christians" supporting the murder of sinners, in the name of Jesus Christ. I don't know what bible is floating around some of the evangelical communities, but we need to gather these false prophet books up and burn them because they are obviously NOT, bibles that include the teachings of Christ. Slandering Christ's name with talk of murder and bigotry, is unspeakable. If you support this law, leave Christ out of it. Nothing in His teachings supports such blaspheme.

I don't know a whole lot about Ugandas religious demographic, but I'd say this bill is most likely the brainchild of a Muslim coalition.

Like I said, I dont know all that much about it, but Christians advocating killing are few. Heck, most Christians in America are against the death penalty for murderers I think.

Anyhow, this bill is not likely to take hold for long. At least not with the death penalty on the table.:sorry:

Upvote 0

wannabeadesigirl

Dec 28, 2007
✟17,294.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
I don't know a whole lot about Ugandas religious demographic, but I'd say this bill is most likely the brainchild of a Muslim coalition.

Like I said, I dont know all that much about it, but Christians advocating killing are few. Heck, most Christians in America are against the death penalty for murderers I think.

Anyhow, this bill is not likely to take hold for long. At least not with the death
penalty on the table.:sorry:

Curtis Knapp, Kansas Pastor Who Said Government Should Kill Gays, Defends Statements

I know he's not the norm, but where there's one there's probably more and even one christian saying things like this is enough to do more than enough damage. Now if you get a country that is heavily Christianized, wants to do the right thing (according to the OP the president of Uganda wants to repent for the country's sins), and homophobic...well I'm not really surprised this law came through.

It's what happens when gross misinformation and religious zeal mix together. I think things like this is one of the reasons Jesus told his followers to be a meek as doves, but as shrewd as serpents. If we are humble and smart these things shouldn't happen.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,615.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I doubt that since Islam does not have much influence in Uganda. Christians make up around 75% or more of the population while Muslims make up about 15% or less.

I have read where fundamental Christians are behind the anti-gay movement but not sure if they are pushing the death penalty issue.

Upvote 0