Two Witnesses

Shocker

Mar 10, 2014
✟3,534.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Rev 11:3 "And I will grant authority to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for twelve hundred and sixty days, clothed in sackcloth."

NOTE: Notice that the two witnesses are not "sent", they are granted authority, as if they are already here?..?...?
continue...

Rev 11:4 These are the two olive trees and the two lampstands that stand before the Lord of the earth.

Zec 4:2 He said to me, "What do you see?" And I said, "I see, and behold, a lampstand all of gold with its bowl on the top of it, and its seven lamps on it with seven spouts belonging to each of the lamps which are on the top of it;

Rev 1:12 And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks;

Rev 1:13 And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.

Zec 4:11 Then I said to him, "What are these two olive trees on the right of the lampstand and on its left?"

Zec 4:12 And I answered the second time and said to him, "What are the two olive branches which are beside the two golden pipes, which empty the golden oil from themselves?"

Rom 11:16 For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches.

Rom_11:17 And if some of the branches be broken off (Jews), and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them(Gentiles), and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;

Rom 11:24 For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be graffed into their own olive tree?

Zec 4:12 And I answered the second time and said to him, "What are the two olive branches which are beside the two golden pipes, which empty the golden oil from themselves?"

Zec 4:14 Then he said, "These are the two anointed ones who are standing by the Lord of the whole earth."

Rev 11:4 These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth.

I submit that the two witnesses are the Jews and Gentiles empowered by the spirit of Elijah, the same spirit given to John the Baptist.

Luk_1:17 "It is he who will go as a forerunner before Him in the spirit and power of Elijah, TO TURN THE HEARTS OF THE FATHERS BACK TO THE CHILDREN, and the disobedient to the attitude of the righteous, so as to make ready a people prepared for the Lord."

Elijah means "My Lord is my God" or "My God is Yahweh" Depending on how you interpret..

Feel free to correct me with scripture where I am mistaken here, Im simply trying to put the puzzle pieces together.

I believe that Jews who truly worship and repent to God the father but have never been taught Jesus Christ, still worship Jesus Christ, as he is God.

There is no difference between the God of the Old Testament and Jesus Christ of the New testament, its the same spirit, same character, same loving nature.
(still think Im a dispensationalist anyone? lol)

1Co 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

Ebedmelech offered some amazing insight as well, Id like to put his post here as well, I feel like it gives more understanding, His post is below..

"John tells us in Revelation 1:20:
20 As for the mystery of the seven stars which you saw in My right hand, and the seven golden lampstands: the seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands are the seven churches.

As one goes forward in Revelation there are two symbols:

1. The stars in Jesus hand were the seven angels (pastors) of the seven churches.

2. The seven lampstands are the seven churches.

The church will be symbolized as a lampstand going forward in Revelation. So when one gets to Revelation 11:4 and reads:
4 These are the two olive trees and the two lampstands that stand before the Lord of the earth.

The lampstands...stand before the "Lord of the earth"...the lampstands represent two churches based on the symbols given by John.

Where can we find the symbols of the "two olive trees" except in Zechariah 4:1-6? That's where we find the symbol of the two olive trees. The two olive trees are supplying a lampstand with oil.

My conclusion is this:

1. Oil is the symbol of the Holy Spirit throughout scripture...and as Zechariah told by the angel in Zecariah 4:4-6 that the olive trees and the lampstand he saw were to be understood as:
4 Then I said to the angel who was speaking with me saying, “What are these, my lord?”
5 So the angel who was speaking with me answered and said to me, “Do you not know what these are?” And I said, “No, my lord.”
6 Then he said to me, “This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel saying, ‘Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’ says the Lord of hosts.

I think it fair to say this represents two churches empowered by the Holy Spirit to be God's "two witnesses".

These two churches were started under the two great apostles Peter and Paul!!!

1. Jesus chose Peter to be over the church of the Jews in Acts 2 as the church began at Jerusalem.

2. Jesus chose Paul with a specific role in Acts 9:15...though Paul would preach to "the sons of Israel too, his primary mission was to the Gentile church.

I think this again is shown to us by Paul as he speaks to the Galatian saints in Galatians 2:7 where he says:
7 But on the contrary, seeing that I had been entrusted with the gospel to the uncircumcised, just as Peter had been to the circumcised
8 (for He who effectually worked for Peter in his apostleship to the circumcised effectually worked for me also to the Gentiles),

I conclude the two lampstands are the Jew and Gentile church spreading the gospel, and they are types of Moses and Elijah.

I used to think the two witnesses were Peter and Paul but I have come through study to believe they are the Jew and Gentile church as God's witnesses. I conclude this also based on Romans 11 as Israel and the Gentiles become one olive tree as Romans 11:17-24 shows them becoming one olive tree!

That's where I am with it...and I continue to study this conclusion."

Last edited:

Shocker

Mar 10, 2014
✟3,534.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If something happens in the near future and Jews go flip mode and come to Christ, you will see a lot of Christians and Jews screaming at the top of their lungs in the name of the Lord.

The only thing in my opinion that could trigger this is the rapture of the Church.

Rev 3:10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.

Upvote 0

ebedmelech

My dog Micah in the pic
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
✟187,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
We can start understanding this by the standard God gave in the Law. Everything was judged on the basis of TWO or three witnesses.

I believe we can undestand them based on the fact it says "these are the two olive trees the two olive trees and the two lampstands that stand before the Lord of the earth."

More later..:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

PhillipLaSpino

Achieve; don’t plunder!
Nov 17, 2007
U.S.A.
✟8,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Shocker, read your comments, but I am curious as to how you would understand the verses in Rev.11:8-9-10-11, especially verses 8-9! If you spiritualized them, tell me what each element would represent!

Also all the language in Rev.11 is Jewish language, and means nothing to a saved Gentile. Words such as as in candlesticks, temple, olive trees, the great city meaning Jerusalem, Egypt, etc. None of these has a thing to do with the Christian church, or salvation by faith alone.

I believe the best way to resolve your questions is to get two sheets of paper, and on one write Jews and Gentiles. On the other write the names of any two men, lets say Elijah, Moses, or Elisha. Than break down all the elements in these verses, and you will find they all fit a Jewish understanding, and do refer to two witnesses; two men most likely O.T. Jews who are called by God for this special work for the Lord.

Phil LaSpino

Upvote 0

Shocker

Mar 10, 2014
✟3,534.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Shocker, read your comments, but I am curious as to how you would understand the verses in Rev.11:8-9-10-11, especially verses 8-9! If you spiritualized them, tell me what each element would represent!

Also all the language in Rev.11 is Jewish language, and means nothing to a saved Gentile. Words such as as in candlesticks, temple, olive trees, the great city meaning Jerusalem, Egypt, etc. None of these has a thing to do with the Christian church, or salvation by faith alone.

I believe the best way to resolve your questions is to get two sheets of paper, and on one write Jews and Gentiles. On the other write the names of any two men, lets say Elijah, Moses, or Elisha. Than break down all the elements in these verses, and you will find they all fit a Jewish understanding, and do refer to two witnesses; two men most likely O.T. Jews who are called by God for this special work for the Lord.

Phil LaSpino

I don't exactly have an explanation for you friend in regards to how that fits..

But I would like to consider what you said about comparing the Jews/Gentiles with the prophets..

Ill need to think on it..

The Jews are watching for Daniels prophecy to unfold the same way Christians are looking for Revelation to unfold..

I suppose that when the covenant is made, both Jews and Christians who have their faith in the right place will be empowered by the Holy Spirit..

Perhaps we are killed for it, then the rapture happens?????

Havent really studied that aspect yet..

But I will!

Upvote 0
Dear friends, IMHO, there are many parallel's to the objects in this prophecy such as a simple comparison as example are as matched: Jews and Gentiles, Jews and Greeks, Israel and Jacob/Judah, and many more. Such all should be in context with other prophecies.

The two witnesses are two main characters that have been through prophecy given other identity such as East and West, North and South, Right and Left, front and back, dark and light, etc. In the end the two witnesses are resurrected, and this means in our time of the end it shall be as the beginning therefore, what ever the first prototype of two witnesses were shall be restored.

The objective is to restore all things, and I reiterate this because it's a major point in this plot of God to restore. This also means that we should be aware of what happened in the beginning so that we know the ending. The first two witnesses created were the first two images of the first Seed, the Father of all Creation, and He is the Seed, and the One and Only but inside are two witnesses, one male and the other female.

The side of this is the verse that says there are neither Jew nor Greek, free nor bond, male nor female seen in Christ. There is a simple parallel to illustrate this but that's another area of discussion. So the objective of God is to restore all things, and all that He is concerned about is His Law and Order, and all else will hang on it just fine.

The 'order' between male and female gender will be the highlight in the closing act of prophecy, just as it opened in the beginning. The one ultimate issue that the world will debate is gender sensitive and the only thing that I see in history where a change has been made to accomplish our fall is the Women's Liberation Movement 1848. The 'movement' actually moved the commandments upside down and backward to exalt the female to the Godhead rank without the man as her head covering.

Christ, a male said that no man may come to the Father except by Him, and He came to fulfill the law and the prophets, not to destroy them as the world has in contrast. The world killed the two witnesses by destroying the image that He Created in the male and the female but the woman and the man, in that order did change that which is written in His Law and it was also in them.

The problems with divorce and same sex marriage is only some highlights of the ending issue, and it is just as in the days of Noah. I know there must be something that God needs to settle between the male and female gender in our law and order, and it isn't going to be corrected but entirely replaced with His Law and Order, and there will not be any marriage in heaven as we practice in our new world.

The other main significant image is the first of the Two Witnesses which were first Spirit, and the Spirit must be restored in humankind so that it does reflect God, again. The Father and the Son, the Alpha and the Omega are more parallel's of the Image of the Seed, and it is One.

So now, this topic goes into the realm of spiritual anatomy and amalgamation of spirits so to see the flip-side of the coin, and look for possible parallel's, today, and they are endless but it really traces back to the starting point which is 'One', the Father. He will work as many spirits through one messenger, IMO.

Upvote 0

Shocker

Mar 10, 2014
✟3,534.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear friends, IMHO, there are many parallel's to the objects in this prophecy such as a simple comparison as example are as matched: Jews and Gentiles, Jews and Greeks, Israel and Jacob/Judah, and many more. Such all should be in context with other prophecies.

The two witnesses are two main characters that have been through prophecy given other identity such as East and West, North and South, Right and Left, front and back, dark and light, etc. In the end the two witnesses are resurrected, and this means in our time of the end it shall be as the beginning therefore, what ever the first prototype of two witnesses were shall be restored.

The objective is to restore all things, and I reiterate this because it's a major point in this plot of God to restore. This also means that we should be aware of what happened in the beginning so that we know the ending. The first two witnesses created were the first two images of the first Seed, the Father of all Creation, and He is the Seed, and the One and Only but inside are two witnesses, one male and the other female.

The side of this is the verse that says there are neither Jew nor Greek, free nor bond, male nor female seen in Christ. There is a simple parallel to illustrate this but that's another area of discussion. So the objective of God is to restore all things, and all that He is concerned about is His Law and Order, and all else will hang on it just fine.

The 'order' between male and female gender will be the highlight in the closing act of prophecy, just as it opened in the beginning. The one ultimate issue that the world will debate is gender sensitive and the only thing that I see in history where a change has been made to accomplish our fall is the Women's Liberation Movement 1848. The 'movement' actually moved the commandments upside down and backward to exalt the female to the Godhead rank without the man as her head covering.

Christ, a male said that no man may come to the Father except by Him, and He came to fulfill the law and the prophets, not to destroy them as the world has in contrast. The world killed the two witnesses by destroying the image that He Created in the male and the female but the woman and the man, in that order did change that which is written in His Law and it was also in them.

The problems with divorce and same sex marriage is only some highlights of the ending issue, and it is just as in the days of Noah. I know there must be something that God needs to settle between the male and female gender in our law and order, and it isn't going to be corrected but entirely replaced with His Law and Order, and there will not be any marriage in heaven as we practice in our new world.

The other main significant image is the first of the Two Witnesses which were first Spirit, and the Spirit must be restored in humankind so that it does reflect God, again. The Father and the Son, the Alpha and the Omega are more parallel's of the Image of the Seed, and it is One.

So now, this topic goes into the realm of spiritual anatomy and amalgamation of spirits so to see the flip-side of the coin, and look for possible parallel's, today, and they are endless but it really traces back to the starting point which is 'One', the Father. He will work as many spirits through one messenger, IMO.

Can you show me your post^^ in the Bible?

Rom_3:4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

I gave you scripture in the OP, you might do the same, I have the Word of God in my post, you have the word of "you" in yours..

With me??

Upvote 0
Can you show me your post^^ in the Bible?

Rom_3:4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

I gave you scripture in the OP, you might do the same, I have the Word of God in my post, you have the word of "you" in yours..

With me??

Are we now addressing the poster or the post? I am not obligated now to provide you, it's clearly written in the Bible, and you may interpret it anyway you please. If you don't like my words then, look past as every man has the freedom to choose. Thanks :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shocker

Mar 10, 2014
✟3,534.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are we now addressing the poster or the post? I am not obligated now to provide you, it's clearly written in the Bible, and you may interpret it anyway you please. If you don't like my words then, look past as every man has the freedom to choose. Thanks :)

If you are going to propose something, It just would be nice to see it laid out in scripture.

That's how those with the gift of teacher do it, they plan and build a biblically sound doctrine from verses breathed out by God.

This gives validity to the claims.

Unless you just aren't up to it, and that's fine too.. I just have a hard time taking people at their word without some form of Biblical backing..

With me?

Upvote 0
If you are going to propose something, It just would be nice to see it laid out in scripture.

That's how those with the gift of teacher do it, they plan and build a biblically sound doctrine from verses breathed out by God.

This gives validity to the claims.

Unless you just aren't up to it, and that's fine too.. I just have a hard time taking people at their word without some form of Biblical backing..

With me?

What ever :doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ebedmelech

My dog Micah in the pic
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
✟187,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Ebedmelech, can you post your breakdown again in this thread, I think you really added to the the understanding in the first post.

Thx
Here it is...

In Revelation you must take the symbols John gives to understand the vision as he writes.

John tells us in Revelation 1:20:
20 As for the mystery of the seven stars which you saw in My right hand, and the seven golden lampstands: the seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands are the seven churches.

As one goes forward in Revelation there are two symbols:

1. The stars in Jesus hand were the seven angels (pastors) of the seven churches.

2. The seven lampstands are the seven churches.

The church will be symbolized as a lampstand going forward in Revelation. So when one gets to Revelation 11:4 and reads:
4 These are the two olive trees and the two lampstands that stand before the Lord of the earth.

The lampstands...stand before the "Lord of the earth"...the lampstands represent two churches based on the symbols given by John.

Where can we find the symbols of the "two olive trees" except in Zechariah 4:1-6? That's where we find the symbol of the two olive trees. The two olive trees are supplying a lampstand with oil.

My conclusion is this:

1. Oil is the symbol of the Holy Spirit throughout scripture...and as Zechariah told by the angel in Zecariah 4:4-6 that the olive trees and the lampstand he saw were to be understood as:
4 Then I said to the angel who was speaking with me saying, “What are these, my lord?”
5 So the angel who was speaking with me answered and said to me, “Do you not know what these are?” And I said, “No, my lord.”
6 Then he said to me, “This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel saying, ‘Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’ says the Lord of hosts.

I think it fair to say this represents two churches empowered by the Holy Spirit to be God's "two witnesses".

These two churches were started under the two great apostles Peter and Paul!!!

1. Jesus chose Peter to be over the church of the Jews in Acts 2 as the church began at Jerusalem.

2. Jesus chose Paul with a specific role in Acts 9:15...though Paul would preach to "the sons of Israel too, his primary mission was to the Gentile church.

I think this again is shown to us by Paul as he speaks to the Galatian saints in Galatians 2:7 where he says:
7 But on the contrary, seeing that I had been entrusted with the gospel to the uncircumcised, just as Peter had been to the circumcised
8 (for He who effectually worked for Peter in his apostleship to the circumcised effectually worked for me also to the Gentiles),

I conclude the two lampstands are the Jew and Gentile church spreading the gospel, and they are types of Moses and Elijah.

I used to think the two witnesses were Peter and Paul but I have come through study to believe they are the Jew and Gentile church as God's witnesses. I conclude this also based on Romans 11 as Israel and the Gentiles become one olive tree as Romans 11:17-24 shows them becoming one olive tree!

That's where I am with it...and I continue to study this conclusion.

Upvote 0

Shocker

Mar 10, 2014
✟3,534.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jews and Gentiles, Witnesses for God, who is Jesus Christ.

Gen_31:44 Now therefore come thou, let us make a covenant, I and thou; and let it be for a witness between me and thee.

Act 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Upvote 0

Shocker

Mar 10, 2014
✟3,534.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Act 2:17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

Rev 11:3 And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.

Upvote 0