Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Eloquently stated, but let's think why I would, again consider it idealistic to hope there would be a change in mindset. God said we have to die to ourselves to become right. That means a lot - for starters, you would have to literally reprogram your brain to forget everything you have learned in your life, and the reprogram your brain to align with God's will. Clearly we both know this doesn't happen overnight, and many of us bear the burden of literal "reeducation" for hope of being with God. But, why would anyone change their mindset and "reeducate" their mentalities of a group/people/class that they don't even care about anyway?
Isn't that just what repentance is? A change of mind? A change of beliefs?

But.....I think you are spot on....it's about the distance that's been created (the lack of care). I'm just hoping that can eventually change (if even for just a few).

I see very few people actually responding to your very real, and very sensible appeals. Why? Because of our ego, and even our warped superego that is supposed to lasso our egos. And, I mean this happens on all sides.
I've noticed that....and, even with your explanation, I have to say I still don't "get" it. I'd expect that when people (especially Christians---who should live by the words, "do mercy, love justice") see how great of a problem this is...they'd desire change. Call me mistaken, I guess.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
CryOfALion said:
Excuse me? Way over what line? You think I was flaming? A hit dog will holler, that is all. And, I meant what I said. As a matter of fact, I wasn't the first person that said this. Matthew 7: 1-5 James 4:11-12 John 7:24 Romans 2:1-3. And, that is just a teaser beginning. You have a lot of nerve accusing me of crossing a line, especially considering I don't judge the dead, and revile them with commonplace stereotypical rhetoric. It is very revealing that 1) out of everything I posted you snipped what you thought was an atrocity and, 2) you would get on me for calling out hypocrite - and not reproof those who judge and revile the dead. Wow. As I said before (perhaps in another thread,) it is no wonder why atheists have pause when reconciling God. We do not give them much to hope and desire with out actions. Who would want to be the subject of a god whose followers are judgmental, ignorant and downright mean? You really have a lot of nerve.

I quoted the rule it broke. I was trying to give you a chance to edit your post.

You can say what you want about people who disagree with you, EXCEPT insinuating they aren't actually Christians. That's a rule for posting here.

Upvote 0

CryOfALion

Sep 10, 2014
✟1,894.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I quoted the rule it broke. I was trying to give you a chance to edit your post.

You can say what you want about people who disagree with you, EXCEPT insinuating they aren't actually Christians. That's a rule for posting here.

Like I said, I insinuated hypocrisy, not abandonment of faith.

Let your heart bleed for the right reasons. As I said, it would have been better if you exposed people claiming others were comfortable seeing other humans be murdered, than someone commenting on hypocrisy.

Where is your championship for those accused of being comfortable seeing cops dead?

Upvote 0

HonestTruth

Jul 4, 2013
Reaganomics: TOTAL FAIL
✟9,787.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
PreachersWife2004 said:
So who do YOU blame then, aside from the criminals?

Do you believe that words can inflame people and rile them up?

I believe that saying things like "However, with all that has recently happened, who here thought that this crisis would not escalate?" seem to excuse the behavior. Bedford also said this: "Maybe if cops didn't go around killing and injuring innocent people, then getting away with it, we would not see this kind of thing happen."

So yeah, let's talk about taking swipes and laying blame. It couldn't possibly be that this guy was fueled by the cop-haters and their protests, oh NO, it had to be that cops do bad things.

Blame??

As noted above, white supremacists have targeted more cops and the news media has not created the type of hysteria we saw in Brooklyn. Same when Eric Rudolph, Gordon Kahl, and others murdered cops. Many of these kooks have been inspired by the Tea Party, Rush Limbaugh, and other right wing radicals.

Makes you wonder - what if Timothy McVeigh had been black. What would the news media and right wing response had been??

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Blame??

As noted above, white supremacists have targeted more cops and the news media has not created the type of hysteria we saw in Brooklyn. Same when Eric Rudolph, Gordon Kahl, and others murdered cops. Many of these kooks have been inspired by the Tea Party, Rush Limbaugh, and other right wing radicals.

NONE of those people actually encouraged or even suggested that people should go out and kill cops.

And those cases got LOTS of press time and lots of hysteria. I don't know where you were, but I remember hearing about it EVERY DAY, pretty much ALL DAY for quite awhile.

Makes you wonder - what if Timothy McVeigh had been black. What would the news media and right wing response had been??

Or what would the left's response had been?

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Blame??

Wait, what? How was Eric Rudolph and Gordon Kahl inspired by the Tea Party or Limbaugh? Did they have a time machine?

Upvote 0

CryOfALion

Sep 10, 2014
✟1,894.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

There would definitely be some sort of Registration Act based on ethnicity.

Perhaps even a rounding up, and relocation of people of certain ethnicity or associations.

If people can speak about an entire race's alleged flaws and shortcomings as if they are second class citizens who can't see or understand what is going on for an entire year - all because an unarmed black kid was shot - then they would certainly all but execute those same people if they happened to blow up 1/3 of a federal building in Oklahoma.

My question is if black people were in such need of help with their "plight," why does it take an unarmed black male being shot by a non-black person for Don Lemon, Anderson Cooper and Bill O'Reilly - and anyone else to actually care? Why do TV specials after an event like that, instead of seasonally - if it isn't just about ratings and exposure?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So who do YOU blame then, aside from the criminals?

Do you believe that words can inflame people and rile them up?

I believe that saying things like "However, with all that has recently happened, who here thought that this crisis would not escalate?" seem to excuse the behavior. Bedford also said this: "Maybe if cops didn't go around killing and injuring innocent people, then getting away with it, we would not see this kind of thing happen."

So yeah, let's talk about taking swipes and laying blame. It couldn't possibly be that this guy was fueled by the cop-haters and their protests, oh NO, it had to be that cops do bad things.

There's a difference between "blame" and "accountability". We need accountability.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Can you explain the difference between the two as you see it?

I'd say a lot of the difference has to do with attitude.

To me......blame is about punishment (and avoiding punishment)......it thrives in an environment that is more of an "us" versus "them" variety.....fear, denial of imperfections, and secrecy are aspects of that environment. If blame is the goal----once the culprit is found, there's no need to go any further (or to solve the problem---or even define the problem).

But accountability is about an attitude of being open to learn (to improve). In an environment where accountability is an attibute....there's no fear of imperfections.....but acknowledging the failures gives insight to how things can improve (and improvement is the ultimate goal).

Last edited:
Reactions: CryOfALion
Upvote 0

CryOfALion

Sep 10, 2014
✟1,894.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

To me......blame is about punishment (and avoiding punishment)......it thrives in an environment that is more of an "us" versus "them" variety.....fear and secrecy are aspects of that environment. If blame is the goal----once the culprit is found, there's no need to go any further (or to solve the problem---or even define the problem).

But accountability is about an attitude of being open to learn (to improve). In an environment where accountability is an attibute....there's no fear of imperfections.....but acknowledging the failures gives insight to how things can improve (and improvement is the ultimate goal).

Today people have have been on point on these forums.

Are the stars aligned? Have we passed through a temporal anomaly? People that I even disagree with famously are making sense all of a sudden.

Scary... (nice explanation by the way.)

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CryOfALion

Sep 10, 2014
✟1,894.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I haven't seen any black person in the USA whose views reflected the warped thinking and actions of a McVeigh.

Well, to be fair they are alcoholic, racist, crack-addicted, uneducated savages according to many in the States. Maybe they just can't possibly conceive of blowing up a third of a federal building full of people drinking their morning coffee at the beginning of the workday. Don't blame them for their shortcomings [/sarcasm].

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟264,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would consider it idealistic to hope there would be a change in mindset. God said we have to die to ourselves to become right. That means a lot - for starters, you would have to literally reprogram your brain to forget everything you have learned in your life, and the reprogram your brain to align with God's will. Clearly we both know this doesn't happen overnight, and many of us bear the burden of literal "reeducation" for hope of being with God. But, why would anyone change their mindset and "reeducate" their mentalities of a group/people/class that they don't even care about anyway?

But that is never so realistic, that any would forget everything that was ever learned with reprogramming the brain. If it was needed maybe it should be happening. I would think that doesn't happen at all however long it is given. But in coming to God we will be the same individuals, yet we will have new life with the presence of the Spirit of God, with Christ cleansing us and empowering us, to overcome the old nature contrary to him. We will have to cooperate in submission that we might have with repentance for that. With real change there is love that should show, that there wasn't before for at least some people.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

To me......blame is about punishment (and avoiding punishment)......it thrives in an environment that is more of an "us" versus "them" variety.....fear, denial of imperfections, and secrecy are aspects of that environment. If blame is the goal----once the culprit is found, there's no need to go any further (or to solve the problem---or even define the problem).

I can agree with this.

Who do you think is accountable, besides the man who shot these cops himself, for the actions he took against two cops, if anyone?

Would it be fair to say that he is to blame, but that others should be accountable?

Upvote 0

HonestTruth

Jul 4, 2013
Reaganomics: TOTAL FAIL
✟9,787.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
mclaybanner.jpg

Pittsburgh Police Chief Under Fire For Controversial Photo, Union Says Calls Department Racists « CBS Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh Police Chief Under Fire For Controversial Photo, Union Says Calls Department Racists

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – Pittsburgh’s Police Chief is under fire for a controversial photo that is making its rounds on Facebook, and some are saying the Chief called his entire department racist.

It happened during the First Night parade.

The protest group called Fight Back Pittsburgh carried signs saying “End White Silence.”

On their Facebook page a photograph of Pittsburgh Police Chief Cameron McLay holding one of the group’s banners, a poster that stated, “I resolve to challenge racism @ work #EndWhiteSilence.”

Upvote 0