Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
This is just tragic, but definitely demonstrative of the overall feeling of the anti-police crowd.

Praying for the NYPD and these officers' friends and families.

From my friend's recent "End of watch" dispatch:

"Rest in peace, my friend. We have the watch from here. Show you en route to your new duty assignment."

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟293,730.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
This is just tragic, but definitely demonstrative of the overall feeling of the anti-police crowd.

You can want to see better police practices, and want police to be held to better standards, without wanting to see police shot.

Reactions: Resha Caner
Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟293,730.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
That's actually a sound way of living now.

Well, on the internet you can never really tell who is trolling and who is a genuine idiot simply free of repercussions of saying things anonymously.

(but those seem to be the biggest two groups on twitter and the various news feed comment sections nowadays)

Upvote 0

GarfieldJL

Dec 10, 2012
✟26,292.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You can want to see better police practices, and want police to be held to better standards, without wanting to see police shot.

That may be true, but even those that say they want the police held to better standards often fail to take into account the fact that part of this has to do with the people in the neighborhoods they patrol.

If the cops are worried that someone is going to be pulling stunts like this, or knife them, etc. they are going to be more likely to pull their gun thinking they are in danger.

Upvote 0

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Sadly, too many people fail to recognize, or admit to witnessing, anything but polar arguments.

----
This is tragic. If previous perceived failure of justice was the motivation, it is absolutely counter productive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟293,730.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
That may be true, but even those that say they want the police held to better standards often fail to take into account the fact that part of this has to do with the people in the neighborhoods they patrol.

If the cops are worried that someone is going to be pulling stunts like this, or knife them, etc. they are going to be more likely to pull their gun thinking they are in danger.

Then it is a self fulfilling prophecy.

If we neglect to hold the police to reasonable standards, they will be needlessly aggressive.

Needless aggressiveness breed anger in the community and ultimately put the police in more danger.

So no, no one should get a pass, higher standards are what is best.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟293,730.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Sadly, too many people fail to recognize, or admit to witnessing, anything but polar arguments.

Well the extreme opposite problem of having the police be more aggressive than they should be is to have no reliable police protection at all.

For instance in some countries it is very dangerous to be a bus driver because many different gangs will extort you for money and threaten your life.

This is tragic. If previous perceived failure of justice was the motivation, it is absolutely counter productive.
The guy was a gang member who just shot his girlfriend so I don't think he gets to claim "justice" as a motivation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Very sad. :(
Anti-police? I wasn't aware that the average person who was disgusted by the Eric Garner video is a proponent of anarchy. There's a world of difference between wanting effective police officers and wanting none at all.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟458,531.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Except in the current climate everything is black and white thinking. It makes for a good news story, and so they keep stirring the pot. Sigh - when do people demand effectiveness on that front.

I'm NOT against people protesting, but things were getting heated up...and people continued to put gas on the fire.

Many saw this coming by the increasing anger shown on the news. It was just a matter of time.

Mayor Bill de Blasio out of respect due to his comments needs to stay away from their funerals.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The portrayal of this as revenge simply does not wash. He had murdered his girlfriend and was determined to do suicide by cop or some variation of "blaze of glory".

To try to connect his motives with the legitimate concerns about police violence on citizens is wrong-headed.

Police killings are not uncommonly in situations where they happen upon a crime or a violent fugitive.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

HannahT

Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟458,531.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Cow - The mother (of his shot girlfriend) saw messages on his Instragram (spelling?) showing he was going to do just that. The mother called the NYPD when she saw the message, but it was too late.

I’m Putting Wings on Pigs Today. They Take 1 Of Ours . . . Let’s Take 2 of Theirs. The post continued, and ending with, “This May Be My Final Post.”

That sure sounds like revenge to me. He also used the popular hashtags that are being used today (shoot the police, RIP Eric Garner - Michael Brown).

Last edited:
Upvote 0