Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
TV Land has pulled reruns of The Dukes of Hazzard off its schedule, a spokesperson for the network confirmed to EW on Wednesday.

The network did not comment further or say why the episodes were removed, but the news comes as the show became part of the growing national debate over use of the Confederate flag, which is displayed on the roof of the Duke boys’ car.

Last week, Warner Bros. Consumer Products said it would no longer license toys or models of the iconic 1969 Dodge Charger, dubbed General Lee, joining a number of other retailers vowing to stop selling Confederate flag merchandise in the wake of the deadly shooting in Charleston, South Carolina, earlier this month.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/01/dukes-hazzard-confederate-flag-tv-land

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
In response, Mark Levin has proposed banning the term "Democratic party", the party of slavery, segregation, Jim Crow, the Ku Klux Klan, Andrew Jackson's betrayal of Native Americans and tyranny. Makes sense to me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
4a496f4b53567d63ba73b1563db852c3f4b38cd4.jpg

600full-catherine-bach.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It was a dumb show. But this whole thing has gotten silly.
I loved that show as a 3 year old. I concur this PC kneejerk has busted straight through "over-reaction" and left "ridiculous" behind a while ago.

Upvote 0

CyberPaladin

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I wonder what the response has been from some of the show's cast members like John Schneider (Bo Duke) and Tom Wopat (Luke Duke).

John ain't happy about it neither is Ben Jones (Cooter). Of course with Ben it's even bigger since the guy runs a Dukes of Hazard tourist trap. Although all this has me thinking maybe I should hurry get the last couple of seasons I don't have on dvd while I can find them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...protest-after-tv-land-dumps-dukes-of-hazzard/

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
In response, Mark Levin has proposed banning the term "Democratic party", the party of slavery, segregation, Jim Crow, the Ku Klux Klan, Andrew Jackson's betrayal of Native Americans and tyranny. Makes sense to me.

Kudos to the Shrieking Chihuahua for not using "Democrat party".

Reactions: JustOneWay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From what I remember the show was about the family, cars, and bootlegging - it was a comedy.

Yet, today it is popular to have a knee jerk reaction to everything. Majority of businesses and organizations don't have the backbone to really point out the obvious. Since the media has already made up their minds for the them - can't say that I blame them there. If you try to speak on this subject at all your accused of something, and they do have their employees to worry about.

I mean the lovers of society (as opposed the normal 'haters' we hear about all the time) do have a habit of destroying people/companies that don't love what they love. Since society tends to get their news off headlines and tweets, and don't really dive into anything to see what the true issue is? The lover's bully tactics tend to win over everything - except for hearts. Silence is good I guess, but change of heart isn't something they ever accomplish. They will claim the opposite of course, and no one will ague with them. Human nature has never had true respect for these types of tactics, but I suppose denial on their part is better than nothing. I mean it feels like a WIN to them.

Sigh. This is so dumb.

Reactions: nightflight
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
From what I remember the show was about the family, cars, and bootlegging - it was a comedy.

Yet, today it is popular to have a knee jerk reaction to everything. Majority of businesses and organizations don't have the backbone to really point out the obvious. Since the media has already made up their minds for the them - can't say that I blame them there. If you try to speak on this subject at all your accused of something, and they do have their employees to worry about.

I mean the lovers of society (as opposed the normal 'haters' we hear about all the time) do have a habit of destroying people/companies that don't love what they love. Since society tends to get their news off headlines and tweets, and don't really dive into anything to see what the true issue is? The lover's bully tactics tend to win over everything - except for hearts. Silence is good I guess, but change of heart isn't something they ever accomplish. They will claim the opposite of course, and no one will ague with them. Human nature has never had true respect for these types of tactics, but I suppose denial on their part is better than nothing. I mean it feels like a WIN to them.

Sigh. This is so dumb.
Boss Hogg was hilarious...

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree with the others who've posted the sentiment that this whole thing has gotten silly.

It's a rectangle with lines and stars on it...the confederate flag didn't make anyone do anything...nor does a normal person look at the flag for the first time, and become a stark raving, murderous racist.

However, with that said...from what I've seen so far, the censorship has been self-imposed, and not government imposed...therefore, no first amendment violations have occurred as of yet. The moment a court orders a store to stop selling it or orders a person to remove it from their vehicle, then we have a problem.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cactus Jack

Jul 12, 2011
somewhere
✟17,259.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Confederate Naval Jack represents a fight between the North and the South over the state's sovereign rights. Abuse of tax dollars, for example. It had nothing to do with slavery. People say it did, yet they fail to RESEARCH what the war was over. Pres. Andrew Johnson had ignored a treaty between the US and the Southern Tribes when he allowed people to invade tribal lands and take what was not theirs. They homesteaded, they began mining, they logged, they trapped, they totally ignored the treaty between the South and the North. IIRC John Ridge was the ambassador when this happened.

The Cherokees, one of the prominent tribes there, was able to try to work with the invaders. But eventually it became more than even they could handle.

Try Googling John Ridge. He's the half-brother of Brigadier General Stand Watie, CSA. This really makes me laugh- when people claim it was over white supremacy. Which so far I have not heard here yet. Well, if that was the case, John and Stand couldn't have the roles they had- John was half Cherokee and Stand was full blooded. Which is about like telling people that OJ Simpson is really a Klansman.

Coincidentally, in the 2008 elections I was approached by Democrat canvassers and they told me all about the candidate I vowed to vote for. About how he was the Grand Dragon of the Alabama KKK. Maybe you've heard of him- his name is Alan Keys.

The thing is, whenever the democrats and liberals want to fight something, they label it racist and expect the stupid people out there to NOT research the issue. Which of course, too many people havn't. They don't care. So long as they have their HBO & football, who cares? Or maybe they are just too lazy.

I find it annoying to the point of nauseating when people start attacking my lineage. My family is from the south. The Confederate Naval jack is a beautiful flag. And right now the US flag, 13 stripes and 50 stars, represents more hatred & bigotry than the Confederacy could ever imagine.

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While I'm not fan of that flag this has gotten a little out of hand. I support a business owner's right to make the decision to no longer sell products bearing this imagery, but you can't pull everything off television that shows the flag. Will they stop airing "Gone with the Wind"? How about "Gettysburg"?

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
The Confederate Naval Jack represents a fight between the North and the South over the state's sovereign rights. Abuse of tax dollars, for example. It had nothing to do with slavery. People say it did, yet they fail to RESEARCH what the war was over. Pres. Andrew Johnson had ignored a treaty between the US and the Southern Tribes when he allowed people to invade tribal lands and take what was not theirs. They homesteaded, they began mining, they logged, they trapped, they totally ignored the treaty between the South and the North. IIRC John Ridge was the ambassador when this happened.

Umm... you realize that Pres. Andrew Jackson was from the South, in fact from areas where they wanted the Cherokee removed from? Additionally, try reading some of the Southern State's own writings on why the seceded, you'll find it was heavily because of slavery and that the Northern states were not enforcing the Fugitive Slave Act. The fact that they were upset because of the northern states refusing to enforce the Fugitive Slave Act shows the idea that it was about "state's sovereign rights" to be a lie -- they wanted rights for Southern states but not for the Northern states.

The Cherokees, one of the prominent tribes there, was able to try to work with the invaders. But eventually it became more than even they could handle.

Try Googling John Ridge. He's the half-brother of Brigadier General Stand Watie, CSA. This really makes me laugh- when people claim it was over white supremacy. Which so far I have not heard here yet. Well, if that was the case, John and Stand couldn't have the roles they had- John was half Cherokee and Stand was full blooded. Which is about like telling people that OJ Simpson is really a Klansman.

It is worth pointing out that the Cherokees owned slaves, and thus supported the South. Apparently the Cherokees were good enough to fight for the South, but not good enough to live on Southern lands.

Coincidentally, in the 2008 elections I was approached by Democrat canvassers and they told me all about the candidate I vowed to vote for. About how he was the Grand Dragon of the Alabama KKK. Maybe you've heard of him- his name is Alan Keys.

Umm... you are saying that this Alan Keyes was the Grand Dragon of the Alabama KKK? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you are saying. Or maybe OJ Simpson really is a clansman with Alan Keyes his Grand Dragon.

The thing is, whenever the democrats and liberals want to fight something, they label it racist and expect the stupid people out there to NOT research the issue. Which of course, too many people havn't. They don't care. So long as they have their HBO & football, who cares? Or maybe they are just too lazy.

I find it annoying to the point of nauseating when people start attacking my lineage. My family is from the south. The Confederate Naval jack is a beautiful flag. And right now the US flag, 13 stripes and 50 stars, represents more hatred & bigotry than the Confederacy could ever imagine.

Then it is too bad that the segregationist racists chose the Naval jack to be their "battle standard" when fighting the Civil Rights laws back in the 60's.

Reactions: FreeSpirit74
Upvote 0

FreeSpirit74

Contra Dancing Pagan Warrior
Mar 15, 2006
Troy, NY temporarily displaced to Schenectady, NY
Visit site
✟11,834.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I wonder what the response has been from some of the show's cast members like John Schneider (Bo Duke) and Tom Wopat (Luke Duke).

Ben Jones, who played Cooter, is LIVID at the way the show has been targeted.

And I don't blame him. This is show that went on the air in 1979, rocketed to huge popularity, was cancelled in 1985, so all the episodes are at least 30 years old. There is nothing racist or separatist in any of the storylines. Were there any black protagonist central characters? No, the only recurring black character was Sheriff Little and he was in cahoots with Roscoe and Boss Hogg, but back in the early 1980's no one had started keeping tabs on that sort of nonsense (how many black/female/Hispanic etc. characters in a show's cast), which is refreshing to look back on in hindsight.

So now 30 years later all of a sudden this show is taking potshots just because the two most central characters rode around in a car with the Confederate Flag on the roof?

Utter. Foolishness.

Reactions: sea oat
Upvote 0