1. Saying Goodbye to a Great Staffer: Edial
    Please help me wish Edial a wonderful blessed journey as he steps down from CF staff.
    His footprint on our ministry will always remain but his presence will be greatly missed. I'm sure he will come around as a member to all his favorite forums but for now please join me at his profile page to wish him many thanks for the years of service he has brought to us all.
    All of us on CF staff will miss him dearly!!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tug-o-war will now be banned in schools.

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Billnew, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Billnew

Billnew Legend

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    CA-Conservatives
    Faith:
    Christian
    Read more: 2 Los Angeles students lose fingers during lunchtime tug-of-war game | Fox News

First rule of Tug-o-War, never wrap or coil the rope around any part of your body. When you can't hold on, let go, the rope moves freely.
    Wrap it, coil it, tie it, and you will get hurt.

Of course, with this, our schools will over react, and ban it.

2. cam44

cam44 New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic
    You can seriously/permanently injure yourself doing so many things - even going up and down the stairs - or in any physical education class doing almost any sport ...

The thing is that ANY time tug-o-war is done, a teacher/adult supervisor should be present to explain that the rope cannot be wrapped around any fingers/hands/body parts, etc. ... its just that injuries are probably so rare with tug-o-war that education and supervision never seemed necessary - they are likely seen as 'freak accidents'.

3. Eric Hibbert

Eric Hibbert Guest

When I was six or seven years old, I nearly lost all the fingers on my right hand doing something similar.

In my case, it was by wrapping some twine around my hand. It's hard to imagine how they would have lost fingers playing tug of war.

4. .Iona.

.Iona. I love Jesus!

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Politics:
    UK-Greens
    Faith:
    Christian
    There are so many things I played at school that have been stopped for various reasons. Children are becoming too wrapped in cotton wool these days.

5. Supreme

Supreme Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Mod Supporter

Faith:
    Protestant
    How ridiculous. I mean, the kids were pretty dumb to have lost their fingers in the first place. It was a common game in my school days, and even though the rope could burn your hands, it was no more harm.

6. cam44

cam44 New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic
    the kids were pretty dumb? nice.

7. Oafman

Oafman Master of my fate, captain of my soul

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    UK-Labour
    Faith:
    Atheist
    I propose a new law: a week-long training course is required for any Phys Ed teachers looking to supervise tug of war, to ensure students are taught to grip the rope correctly.

If this becomes law, I will even go as far as setting up a company to provide such training, at reasonable rates.

8. cam44

cam44 New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic
    a WEEK long!?!??

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  9. JCSr

JCSr Gunshine State

Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Agnostic
    While it is tragic that a few students lost a digit, the linked article and both links within the linked article never mention that tug-o-war will be banned in the school or any other school.

10. Oafman

Oafman Master of my fate, captain of my soul

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    UK-Labour
    Faith:
    Atheist
    Enough with the logic please. It's health and safety gone mad!!!

11. keith99

keith99 Senior Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Atheist
    Tug of war is an accident waiting to happen.

Note that this instance was something for spirit week and thus something instigated by the school.

If the rope was adequate for teh game it should have been hard to wrap it, but 2" and larger diameter rope is expensive.

Note that this is far from the worst that can happen. If a rope breaks the loose ends can whip around and result in serious injury, even death. Very unlikely for small contests, but for huge ones it has happened.

12. Supreme

Supreme Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Mod Supporter

Faith:
    Protestant
    It may just be me, but I thought it was common sense to not tie a strong rope that is going to be pulled hard in either direction round your fingers.

13. cow451

cow451 CEO, Acme Killer Drone Company

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Baptist
    I've seen adults do it frequently. In the US, of course. You Brits obviously are smarter.:cool:

14. Lilly Owl

Lilly Owl Since when is God's adversary a curse word here?

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Christian
    Liability!
    Law suits.
    That's what this is all about.
    Red Rover, Dodge Ball, even tag has been outlawed in public schools. Pretty soon we'll hear that there are bleachers installed on school playgrounds across the nation and recess has been transformed into a study hall.

I'm waiting for the athletic programs to be outlawed due to the same absurd fears. Track could cause shinsplints, torn ligaments, cramps. Gymnastics could cause harm due to falls,etc...
    Meanwhile we'll continue to witness ad campaigns stoking fears about the epidemic of obesity in children. While exercising so as to lose the weight will eventually be illegal because it might hurt.

15. JCSr

JCSr Gunshine State

Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Agnostic
    Don't worry, they won't outlaw sports. Athletes sign a waiver and injuries are a part of sports. Money, or should I say the lack thereof, is the issue with losing sporting programs.

16. elephunky

elephunky Previously known as dgirl1986

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    AU-Greens
    Faith:
    Humanist
  17. Billnew

Billnew Legend

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    CA-Conservatives
    Faith:
    Christian
    I've seen adults start to tie themselves to the end, and wrap the rope around the wrist, not seen wrapped around fingers though.

People don't think that the other team doesn't instantly stop pulling, the person tied to the end, could be pulled through his/her whole team or drug by the wrist,if it didn't get yanked off.

No one mentioned banning it in this story, but schools constantly overreact to any incident.

Waiver: organized sports sign a waiver, gym class, I don't believe they sign a waiver.

18. JCSr

JCSr Gunshine State

Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Agnostic
    Nobody mentioned banning it except whoever wrote the title "Tug-o-war will now be banned in schools"

19. cow451

cow451 CEO, Acme Killer Drone Company

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Baptist
    Admit it. If the OP said, "Children injured playing Tug-o-war", would it have had much response? :cool:

Facts are optional here.

20. JCSr

JCSr Gunshine State

Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Agnostic

You are 100% correct.