Trying to find faith of some sort?

Spnlover

Jun 18, 2012
✟7,611.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Sorry if this is the wrong forum, as you can probaly guess I'm very new to this. Basically, I'm going through a really bad emotional time right now. Sometimes I'm really happy, but a lot of the time I feel completly empty and lost and unloved. It's stupid because I have great friends and family, but inside really depressed, like something is missing.

I've had a vaguely christian upbringing, but I've always had a issues believing, because I'm quite sciency, and very cycnical by nature. Yet at the same time I've always felt there's something more, and would really like to explore that because even just being here on this forum is making me feel better.

I guess I'm asking how I can put my cycnical nature to the side, and gain some kind of faith. I'm not going to be the kind of christian who is like "homosexualty is wrong, you have to beleive or your going to hell" (which I'm sure not a lot of people are like, but it's often the impression I get, as the current main christian influence in my life is the CofE campign agasint gay marrige.) but I really like the whole non judgemental, love, community side and would love to be a part of that, but am really stuggling to get past my cycnical nature (sorry for repetition)

Thanks for taking the time to read. It's odd but I do feel a bit better haiving purged my emotions, so if anything I at least i have that I guess. But again, thanks and apologies if this doesn't belong here.

jehoiakim

Servant
Jun 24, 2011
New Jersey
✟17,202.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
THe sciency nature is part of you and who God created you to be, perhaps you should embrace it and start with a book like the Case for Christ by Lee Strobel... Christianity is a raterh broad term and it represents many many different interpretations of God's word, many of whom mainstream Christianity would label Heretical.

You you would be this kind of Christian or that kinds of Christian, but I think you need to ask a serious question... What does the scripture say, what would Jesus say, and what do you want it to say. Would you be following what God is teaching or would be be following what you "want or expect" God to teach? As a "sciency" person I imagine you have run across quite a few things that didn't make sense or complete give with your theories or hypothesis, did that mean that science was wrong or your theories were wrong? In my own experience I have come to understand God's laws like laws of science. and our personal theologies are our theories of how God works which may or may not be true.... My point is if the Bible challeges you with something I hope you won't give up on it or walk away from it just because you haven't figured it all out yet, the whole thing can be far more complex or far more simple then you might expect, you might not be seeing everything from your particular perspective.

Questions are great, questioning what God is doing is good, it brings you to further understanding... but what do you believe about God if he exists. Is he a good God, a loving God, is her perfect? If he is perfect is he just? and how just would someone who is perfect need to be? Blaming God which some people often do is in my opinion as silly as blaming the universe for how science works, the universe is logical and makes sense, if there is a problem with something it is only your understanding of how it works.

I hope that was helpful in some way, probably not, I am just babbling at this point. Good luck and I pray for you in your search.

Upvote 0

Look Up

"What is unseen is eternal"
Jul 16, 2010
✟16,230.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Spnlover,

At times I have felt emotional pleasure of some sort putting my ideas into words, and in some of these cases felt some emotional relief from some frustration or tension in the doing.

You do not seem to be looking for a Christian faith (in particular Christian ideas such as the Jesus=Messiah equation) per se, though you may find select ideas found in Christianity attractive in your pursuit of anti-cynicism, of some sort of faith, or an answer to whatever else is bothering you at present.

And perhaps in this quest you have by discovery answered in part your own question, namely that the discipline of writing down your thoughts and feelings is emotionally serviceable to you (as in my own way, my writing has been to me), though the fact that you are writing for a live audience may suggest more than catharsis or pleasure in the mere act of self-expression. You write in anticipation of communication WITH someone or ones.

I recall in the days before cell phones a fruitless and time consuming drive in heavy city traffic to an appointment with a no-show. My frustration was abated somewhat by reading a bumper sticker that read simply "God rules," which in my particular worldview and according to my bent encouraged me, and more so when I wrote down my reflections on the event in largely private milieu. It was another step for me then to share my writings with a professor who asked for them--the events at the time having to do with schooling.

You are not alone, not that our experiences are identical or overlap in every respect, but rather that we share certain commonalities, as no doubt you do in similar or other ways with others with whom you may interact on this forum or elsewhere.

And some sort of relief from or remedy for cynicism may be found not only in self-persuasion or self-analysis as expressed in writing, but also in the encouragement and exhortation of others who perhaps have overcome or who have some strength where you are weak -- as vice versa, one may safely assume, in some other life issue.

But I think you hint that faith is at the heart of what we here discuss. If so, I agree as far as it goes. What object or objects of faith we chose is in part dependent on facts, but also on choices that test the heart and mettle of human existence. Life is not easy, but it is a grand opportunity. May God help us all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It does sound like your depression might be more than just in your brain, so if you can see a Doctor about it please do since it might be chemical. That said I do want to help you, but a true Christian beside you could do a lot more. There is a lot of hypocrisy running around calling themselves Christians, so please watch what you consider to be “Christian behavior”. If a person in anyway does not demonstrate Christ like Love and do what Christ would do in the same situation do not trust them.

Upvote 0

PashNut4Jesus

Jun 21, 2012
Tennessee
✟15,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Sorry if this is the wrong forum, as you can probaly guess I'm very new to this. Basically, I'm going through a really bad emotional time right now. Sometimes I'm really happy, but a lot of the time I feel completly empty and lost and unloved. It's stupid because I have great friends and family, but inside really depressed, like something is missing.

I've had a vaguely christian upbringing, but I've always had a issues believing, because I'm quite sciency, and very cycnical by nature. Yet at the same time I've always felt there's something more, and would really like to explore that because even just being here on this forum is making me feel better.

I guess I'm asking how I can put my cycnical nature to the side, and gain some kind of faith. I'm not going to be the kind of christian who is like "homosexualty is wrong, you have to beleive or your going to hell" (which I'm sure not a lot of people are like, but it's often the impression I get, as the current main christian influence in my life is the CofE campign agasint gay marrige.) but I really like the whole non judgemental, love, community side and would love to be a part of that, but am really stuggling to get past my cycnical nature (sorry for repetition)

Thanks for taking the time to read. It's odd but I do feel a bit better haiving purged my emotions, so if anything I at least i have that I guess. But again, thanks and apologies if this doesn't belong here.

I'm thinking the depression you feel despite having good friends and family could possibly be the Holy Spirit making you aware of the hole in your heart where God belongs.

As to being sciency, that really does not disagree with scripture. Archaeology is constantly proving the claims in the bible. Another good book to read would be How Now Shall We Live by Chuck Colson and Nancy Pearcey. There are many more scientists out there that are brave to proclaim the truth. The second law of thermodynamics is indicative of a definite beginning to our universe . . . not to mention that common sense tells us that order and design have never resulted from a chaotic explosion.

Your sweet heart is apparent as well as evidenced by your remarks about homosexuality. Clearly you have a heart for people. Some Christians have done a disservice to homosexuals by being judgmental. We should be loving toward them. It is also loving to tell them what God says . . . after being sure they know Jesus would love to be their Savior. But in reference to homosexuality, the truth is that God condemns that as a sin. I don't want to tell people their going to hell. God doesn't want ANYbody to go there. But it is a loving thing to tell them the consequences of their choices. How horrible would it be to be standing before God and to have people pointing at you and saying that you knew it was a sin and didn't tell them. Anything we can do to keep people from going there is an act of love. But that should not be the first thing Christians talk to them about when establishing a relationship. They need to know about God's love for them first and His plan of redemption and they, like everyone else, needs to know their need for it.

So . . . can we hear back from you? I pray God be with you during this process.

Upvote 0

candle glow

whatever I want to be
Jan 2, 2012
Nairobi, Kenya
✟18,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi spn,

If you are considering faith in Jesus, I suggest you have a careful look at his teachings, as his teachings are an expression of God's love here on Earth.

Jesus talked about counting the cost, because it can be easy to see a message of love and feel emotionally comforted by that, without considering the discipline it takes to express that same love to others.

My personal belief is that Jesus really does have the answers. As a result, it is not necessary to suspend our ability to think critically in order to examine their rightness or wrongness.

I don't think God is against questioning, but I think he would appreciate it if we were humble and sincere about it, too (which I think comes across in your opening post so you're off to a good start).

Good luck.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟734,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

I have had times like your self where my life was just so bad on the inside. I was probably worse than you, I even tried to commit suicide. However God has since blessed me and replaced all my fears and loss with good things. As for your need for some proof I will share with you the times God has given me proof. I have included one of my true stories below and there is a link to my website that includes more true stories about God doing stuff.

One morning I got up and walked into the hall and I heard a voice that I believed was God say "How would you like to be stabbed in the Valley". The Valley was known as the rough end of town, and the voice scared me a little, I wondered if I had done something to offend God. I had planned to go down to the Valley to ask people out to church as was my habit at the time. In the end I went anyway regardless of the fear. I walked up to the first person I met and asked him if he would like to go out to church. He said to me "I am an atheist, I don't believe in God". I just said "fine", but hoped to change his mind. He then proceeded to unbutton his shirt and showed me scar marks up and down his chest and stomach. He said to me, "I was attacked by a knife wielding man in the Valley some time ago and spent months recovering in hospital, How could God allow that to happen to me". Then I knew why God had said in the morning "How would I like to be stabbed?". God understood this man, but had a good plan for him. Some weeks latter this man came out to church and became a Christian.

My website is Know God Personally

Upvote 0

Harry3142

Apr 9, 2006
Ohio
✟20,229.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I guess I'm asking how I can put my cycnical nature to the side, and gain some kind of faith. I'm not going to be the kind of christian who is like "homosexualty is wrong, you have to beleive or your going to hell" (which I'm sure not a lot of people are like, but it's often the impression I get, as the current main christian influence in my life is the CofE campign agasint gay marrige.) but I really like the whole non judgemental, love, community side and would love to be a part of that, but am really stuggling to get past my cycnical nature (sorry for repetition).
What you've described as liking is what is at the core of true Christianity. Because of their harangues and diatribes many people associate Christianity with those who denounce everyone who doesn't blindly and obediently obey them, accepting them as God's own oracles. But that is not true Christianity; it's the blatant attempt of some to acquire absolute power over others ("Obey me or God will send you to hell").

We have a code of conduct which Christ himself taught. We are to love God and love our neighbor. This doesn't mean that we pull antics such as judging the actions of everyone around us as to whether those actions are good or evil. That's between them and God, not them and us. Instead, it means that as he alleviated the suffering he saw around him, we are also to alleviate the suffering we see around us.

There is a passage of Scripture which tells us what our motivations are to be (Galatians 5:16-26). It contains these motivations, called 'the fruit of the Spirit': love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. These 9 'fruit' are the origin of every true act of righteousness, and they are to be accepted by us who are Christians as the core of our new nature. So long as our words and actions have them as their reason for being, those words and actions have assurance of conforming to what God wants of us.

God bless-

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single

Jesus' purpose wasn't to condemn people. That's clear throughout his ministry. He died to establish the new covenant, which changes our hearts. We are then expected to become his agents in changing the world. That doesn't mean that everyone can necessarily be saved. Looking around, I think it's plausible that some people become so hardened that they just can't be made ready for the new life that God has in mind for us.

The hard part for sciency people (and I'm one) is operating on two levels. We all understand that science deals with only part of life. Although brain science is advancing rapidly, our love for each other is at a different level than the mechanisms in the brain that make it happen, just like a program that is executing takes on a life that goes beyond understanding how all the electronics works. You might want to look up "emergence" to see how the level of personal existence and relationships can coexist even with complete physical explanations (although of course we don't have complete explanations yet).

But the big question for religion is whether, alongside persons and interpersonal relationships, it also makes sense to see a higher intelligence guiding things. I think there's evidence for it. The OT is in places pretty gory. But if you look at the overall plot line, it is that God chose Israel, and through his prophets brought them out of the narrow tribalism which is all too evident throughout much of the OT, based on the prophets vision of Israel as called to a new kind of life, which would be the light to the entire world. This mission then was carried out finally by Jesus. I think that's a sensible view, if you're open to the possibility that there really may be an existence beyond the human.

So is that feasible scientifically? I think so. Increasingly our models of cosmology are suggesting that the visible universe isn't everything. In string theory we have an 11-dimensional space (plus or minus a couple of dimensions), in which the universe may be just one brane. Few of us think the "big bang" is all. Generally most scientists think it came from a larger system.

So let's postulate that there's some larger system, probably with no beginning. (At some level it's really hard to image that existence just appeared.) Is it likely to have a superior kind of life? I think so. I mean we managed to develop intelligence in a few billions years. How about an immensely more complex and older system? Would such intelligence be in a position to take responsibility for us, and interested in doing the kinds of things that the Bible says God does? I think that's a plausible idea.

This is all speculation. I'm by no means clear that God exists in the string theory's 11-space. All I'm trying to do is to say that it's scientifically plausible that there is a realm beyond the visible one, and that it might have an entity such as God in it.

Upvote 0