Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Is it at least true that I haven't been "married" in God's eyes since I was a kid, and that only the sins I committed as an adult would count?
First of all, let me say how terribly sorry I am for all that you have gone through! How unjust life is. Also, I am thrilled you have found Christ!

As a Jewish Christian, I have studied the Law and its interpretations a LOT more than the average Christian and I have a lot of good news for you.

Although yes, intercourse was one way a couple could become married, it had to be LICIT (lawful) sex. Things like having sex with an already married person, or finding out you just had sex with a long lost sibling, or having sex with money exchanged, would not constitute a marriage.

1. In the case of child rape, it violates loving your neighbor as yourself and is therefore unlawful. Therefore your childhood experiences do not make you married.

2. In the case of fornication, there is no intent for the act to marry you. This is what makes fornication a sin, illicit sex. That is why you are not married to these other men either.

I would like to say a word about the Vaginismus. I'm speaking as a Catholic. Part of a marriage is the intent of being open to children. If one is not open to kids, then they are not fully consenting to marriage. This would invalidate their wedding vows, and even if they are legally married (even if they are married in the Church) they will be living in sin.

Options that are open to you:
  1. There are therapies available for Vaginismus.
  2. If you marry someone who is asexual but who still enjoys kissing and hugging, you will be happy, only needing to have sex when you decide to start a family. It will also be easier to have sex, as such a person ALSO needs more affection in order to have sex.

Upvote 0

Psalms119

Jan 10, 2017
US
✟15,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, this is long.

First, I know that "trigger warning" gets thrown around a lot on the internet, but I don't use the term loosely. Some of my post is going to cover the topic of child abuse, and while I'm not going to go into details, I'm not going to sugar coat it, either, so please protect yourself and move on if this is a triggering topic for you. It's a triggering topic for me, as well, so on that note, please be kind. I'm putting myself and the worst of my sins out here, and I would be lying if I said it doesn't make me pretty nervous.

Second, the question weighing on my mind is a potentially controversial topic, so I request that people please be respectful to each other and not flame each other if you disagree, but please just let me know your perceptions based on understanding of scripture.

Third, I have asked my new pastor about this in an email, though I did not go into detail at all, I just asked him how the Bible defines marriage, basically, but I also asked him for some clarity on a long list of other scripture things (he had offered this help), and chances are that he is a very busy person, given that he is a pastor, and I also mentioned that I understand that and that it's okay if I don't hear from him for several weeks, since it's not an emergency. So I might not hear from him on this or other matters for several weeks, but this particular issue is weighing on me heavily, anyway.

So all of that said,

Straight to the point I was sexually abused as a very young child, to the point that it left me with scarring and also gave me physiological disorders. I actually don't even remember any of it, but only found out when I was an older teenager and thought I was a virgin, and had my first exam, and that is when the scarring was found, I had incoherent flashback problems, and wound up diagnosed with severe vaginismus and PTSD later on.

Now making matters even worse, is that throughout my late teens through my mid-twenties, I had all sorts of psychological issues, let alone the spiritual issues. Substance abuse, self-harm and so on. But also I had issues with men. I had a relationship that lasted a year, and we never had sex (I was unable due to the vaginismus). I had another relationship that lasted 3 years, and we had sex once, but we were never able to again, on account of my problems with the disorder and also he was never able to be affectionate or patient enough to make it work. I still very much so loved this man and thought we would marry someday, but understandably he got frustrated with me, became even colder and distant and eventually he got together with my coworker, and that was the end of that. I stayed single for years after that, but then while I was homeless for a short while, I basically allowed a man to have sex with me in exchange for his help with surviving on the streets. It felt like rape but if I'm honest with myself and anyone else, I could have stabbed him and run away, but I didn't, because I didn't want to die alone on the streets. I spiraled even more after that, and did sexual things with two other men while I was a complete wreck and just very lonely and wanting to be able to experience sex as enjoyable instead of as a painful or desperate thing. That was a couple of years ago.

So then only months ago, I received a calling by the Holy Spirit and am becoming a disciple of Christ. I am to be baptized soon at a church I have joined, and it has and continues to be a truly amazing and wonderful thing for me to dedicate my life to Christ and to actually feel the Holy Spirit, like there is faith, and then there is also experiencing it, so both together.

But one of the many topics I was reading about in the Bible, was the topic of marriage. So first it seems that many perceive that the Bible defines marriage as sex, due to the becoming one flesh part, which if I'm completely honest makes me about throw up thinking that I was Biblically married to a very sick person when I was a little kid and then can't even remember it.

Then there is all this history of fornication in my late teens to mid-twenties where I was basically going around like a tripped out Borderline Personality Disorder woman and doing all manner of self-destructive and sinful things.

So in God's eyes, have I basically been "married" multiple times, and have committed adultery (in addition to fornication) multiple times?

The reason I need to know is because now that I have been called by the Holy Spirit and am about be baptized and dedicate my life to being a disciple of Christ, the situation is different somewhat in regards to sin. Like now sinning would be even worse if I am doing it willfully and disobeying Jesus/God despite having been called by the Holy Spirit. So now it seems there is a bigger responsibility than ever before to make sure I know what is sin and what is not, and to make sure I am not willfully sinning or being willfully ignorant about sin.

So that is why this is important. Because the Bible does say pretty explicitly in several areas, including Jesus' words, Himself, that God/Jesus are extremely against divorce, and that if you get divorced and then marry someone else, that is adultery.

So does that make sense? My concern, I mean. If I have been married in God's eyes, then it would mean I should stay single for the rest of my life, because otherwise I would be knowingly committing adultery, which would be to knowingly commit a huge sin while being a disciple of Christ, and so obviously I shouldn't let that happen.

I do believe in Jesus' words that I will be forgiven for all of these past sins, but again that doesn't mean that I should just keep willfully sinning going forward.

Now even if it were okay for me to legally marry, I don't think I should be with someone who has been a Christian their whole life, they deserve better and I'm kind of a train wreck that was patched back together to be healthy and healed only in recent years. But what should happen if say I am gaining fellowship with other Christians over the future years, and I meet a Christian man who has the same sort of past as me, as far as having a bunch of sinful blunders, including fornication, but now we are both saved Christians, even if we were late bloomers, and say we developed feelings for each other. Would we need to both just ignore it and stay single? Lest we would both be committing adultery?

Is it at least true that I haven't been "married" in God's eyes since I was a kid, and that only the sins I committed as an adult would count? So that in God's eyes I was married to the guy I was with for a few years? (Not that I intend to track this guy down to proclaim us married or anything, he is long gone and might even be legally married now, I don't know, but just as far as my own understanding of where I'm at in God's eyes.)

Please give it to me straight, your perceptions of scripture, (but please don't flame each other). I am okay with the outcome regardless. I just want to do what God wants me to do, and so it's going to be very confusing if I meet a Christian man in the future and it seems like God is bringing us together, if I don't first know God's stance on whether I should remain single or not. Knowing God's stance first will help me in the future to discern the difference between God's plans for me, and just plain old temptation.

Thanks to anyone who read through all of that and has any insight to offer.
This woman is very well versed and has helped many in my family with the same exact questions. Please message her, she will respond to you quickly.

angie at counciloftime.com

Upvote 0

Endtime Survivors

prophecy link in my profile!
Apr 4, 2016
Africa
Visit site
✟30,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Like as an awkward example, of the two times I tried to fool around a couple years ago, one of the young men drove from an hour away, and when he showed up it became so obvious early on that he had very low self-esteem and anxiety problems. We did very little fooling around before his anxiety became bad, so I let him smoke some weed and have a bit wine, and he had a panic attack, so we just spent a couple hours just talking about his problems in life until he was calmed down but exhausted and fell asleep on my lap. So I just let him stay there for a few hours while I read on my phone, so he would get some sleep before having to drive back to his home city. And when dawn came I fed him breakfast and we hugged goodbye. And I couldn't help but chuckle over it a little while later, like even while trying to get laid I still wind up being everyone's surrogate mother instead, but I just felt moved internally to take care of him a bit when the situation was at hand. In retrospect that is how I tend to experience the Holy Spirit, I guess.

Seriously, that's a sweet story. ^.^

Upvote 0

Endtime Survivors

prophecy link in my profile!
Apr 4, 2016
Africa
Visit site
✟30,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Would we need to both just ignore it and stay single?

I think others have shared some good insight regarding the covenant or agreement aspects of marriage; that the concept of fornication exists to describe situations where sex is involved, but no commitment, and therefore would not be considered marriage.

Temporary acts of fornication are easier to dismiss as not equating to marriage than long term relationships. Even worldly systems recognize "common law" marriages, where people are considered legally married if they live together long enough, despite whatever ceremonial observances not observed. Perhaps it is the "intent of the heart" that God also looks at when deciding whether a relationship constitutes marriage.

As to whether you should marry, if the circumstance should ever come up, both Jesus and Paul were fairly clear that celibacy is the preferred option, but that marriage is still ok, too. I think it will depend on the surrounding circumstances and your personal desires. God cares about what we want, and in some cases people actually work better as a married team. But in many cases, marriage will necessarily present distractions, too, some of which may be benign and some of which may be quite spiritually disastrous.

Upvote 0

TurtleAnne

Dec 25, 2016
Michigan U.S.
✟20,919.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would like to say a word about the Vaginismus. I'm speaking as a Catholic. Part of a marriage is the intent of being open to children. If one is not open to kids, then they are not fully consenting to marriage. This would invalidate their wedding vows, and even if they are legally married (even if they are married in the Church) they will be living in sin.

I don't necessarily agree that it's a sin if people don't have children, although I would agree that there should be no fear of children if one has faith that God is control of everything. I am just not aware of any scriptures that say you are sinning if you don't have kids. The sad thing about vaginismus, I think, in my particular past situation, is that I was very confident that he and I could have had sex (the guy I was with for multiple years) if he had just been patient and affectionate. Vaginismus is physiological and there is a very strong psychological element to it, and I was completely willing to overcome it, but the guy I was with thought affection before sex was "boring" and would fly into a rage with me if I tensed up and so on. It was just not going to be possible. It was one of the aspects that really broke my heart when I found out he was cheating on me with someone. We had been like best friends in many ways, and we could have had everything, if just for a little patience and affection, but somehow he found it easier to just cheat on me than to be affectionate with me. I wished that he had just dumped me early on, to be honest. This was also what tempted me towards more sin (fornication) when I tried fooling around with those two other guys a few years ago. I chose them because they were of a sweet and timid nature, patient and happy to take whatever they could get. That is what I was looking for, to ease my own anxiety and make it possible. However the first one showed up very drunk and threw up all over my house and then passed out, and the second one had the panic attack and fell asleep in my lap instead. Otherwise I probably would have really been sinning it up with one of them, so perhaps God protecting me from myself a little bit there.

Seriously, that's a sweet story. ^.^

It's at least one I don't 100% regret. The Holy Spirit works in some mysterious ways sometimes, I guess.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It may not be obvious, but a eunuch is someone whos been sexually abused in such a way they cannot bear children.

When Jesus talks about those who make themselves euncuhs for the kingdom hes talking about the sacrifice people make to NOT bear children even if they could, to dedicate their lives to God and be serving Him exclusively. Lord knows children take a lot of time and energy to bring up, and theres so many pitfalls along the way to keep them on the narrow path.

See matthew 19 for the scripture reference

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Another thing that struck me about this passage as its not one size fits all. Not every needs to marry and not everyone will stay single. To him it is given...

What you do is ask God, and have peace about whether you are single or not. Dont let anyone judge you for staying single..Jesus was single. Or desiring a christian husband I think many women do but you see there are not many Christian men in proportion to the christian ladies. Just simple stats will bear this out.

It is far better to stay single than to be unequally yoked. And possibly jeopardise salvation because you end up either being absued or losing sight of God if your spouse is an unbeliever.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TurtleAnne

Dec 25, 2016
Michigan U.S.
✟20,919.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It may not be obvious, but a eunuch is someone whos been sexually abused in such a way they cannot bear children.

When Jesus talks about those who make themselves euncuhs for the kingdom hes talking about the sacrifice people make to NOT bear children even if they could, to dedicate their lives to God and be serving Him exclusively. Lord knows children take a lot of time and energy to bring up, and theres so many pitfalls along the way to keep them on the narrow path.

See matthew 19 for the scripture reference

I think it's chill and good to have children and all, and I wouldn't at all mind it, myself, but I'm almost 30, I'm internally scarred to an unknown extent and women in my family on both sides tend to miscarry a lot as it is. If someone ever does consider marrying me, I will need to let them know upfront that children are likely a very slim possibility, unless we can afford adoption, and that trying for children of our own might just be a long road of many heartbreaks/failures. I would just be honest about this and then defer to his feelings if he doesn't want to try, because of those factors. I guess it would only be a problem if he felt the same as the other poster, that having children was very important, and I could not bear children for him. So I would just make it clear early on, so there would be no confusion about it, or regret from either of us, if we needed to part ways, etc. I have long entertained the thought that it might be really nice to marry a single father, as well.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I think it's chill and good to have children and all, and I wouldn't at all mind it, myself, but I'm almost 30, I'm internally scarred to an unknown extent and women in my family on both sides tend to miscarry a lot as it is. If someone ever does consider marrying me, I will need to let them know upfront that children are likely a very slim possibility, unless we can afford adoption, and that trying for children of our own might just be a long road of many heartbreaks/failures. I would just be honest about this and then defer to his feelings if he doesn't want to try, because of those factors. I guess it would only be a problem if he felt the same as the other poster, that having children was very important, and I could not bear children for him. So I would just make it clear early on, so there would be no confusion about it, or regret from either of us, if we needed to part ways, etc. I have long entertained the thought that it might be really nice to marry a single father, as well.
Have you ever had a physician give your female parts a thorough look and make a determination? You should if you have not, that is a basic health issue and you should be examined so you know where you stand medically. Don't underestimate that children and a husband could be in your future. God is an AWESOME God.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yep just be upfront, that childbirth may be difficult for you. I have an aunt who is married and never had children not sure why but she worked as a midwife all her life so had many children :) just not her own.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Also know of those who married later in life, found she couldnt have children..they foster others or have homestays. Dont worry about it...the love you show children is more important than whther you physically gave birth to them because its being born again that will count eternally.

• Agree
Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0