Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
TCRNews.com

I couldn't tell you how many times I've heard people
blame their personal failures or psychological stresses on "Catholic guilt" in the last 20 years.

It is as though the Church is the great rain cloud ever shadowing the grand Mardi Gras that so many expect life to be.

All that stands in the way of a good old time is the Church and her teachings regarding sin.

Whether subtle or not so subtle, we see this condemnation in the movies, in the general media, in politics and in some treatises from the theological far-Left. Not a few people leave the Church thinking to rid themselves of this vestige of "medieval thinking".

The most common complaints have revolved around . . .

http://www.speroforum.com/site/article.asp?id=6990

cathmomof3

Saved by Grace through Faith in Jesus Christ
Jun 5, 2006
Sugar Land, Tx
✟8,144.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That is what our beautiful sacrament of penance is for (confession). It rids us of ALL guilt...I personally think guilt is a great thing...It is the feeling/emotion that lets us know that we have done something against God. It is the result of a well formed conscience.

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
hmm... My sister in law insists it was Catholic guilt that kept her a virgin until she was married. Because she was named after the virgin Mary, and her mother reminded her of that often during her teen years. She was thankful for her Catholic guilt. Guess it's all in the way you look at it.

Reactions: Skripper
Upvote 0

metherion

Veteran
Aug 14, 2006
✟13,623.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I guess people never realize that guilt can be a healthy thing, acting as a moral compass. I also guess people never realize that some of the more outspoken (read: crazy) churchs hang brimstone and hellfire over all the congregations' head every service and promise them Hell for every minor indiscretion. That would tend to make me feel a lot more guilty than I ever have in the RCC.

Metherion

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
It depends on how you define guilt. I think the people mentioned in the article are talking about an overwhelming shame that lingers after Reconciliation (which is a form of pride or an inability to forgive ourselves, which I struggle with), or maybe a phobia of sin that over-corrects our behavior. For instance, some of my relatives have a pathological fear of statues in churches; it's "of the devil." While it can be abused, honoring saints is not, in and of itself, sinful.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Phillipians 1

4 Always in all my prayers making supplication for you all, with joy; 5 For your communication in the gospel of Christ from the first day until now.
6 Being confident of this very thing, that he, who hath begun a good work in you, will perfect it unto the day of Christ Jesus. 7 As it is meet for me to think this for you all, for that I have you in my heart; and that in my bands, and in the defence and confirmation of the gospel, you all are partakers of my joy. 8 For God is my witness, how I long after you all in the bowels of Jesus Christ. 9 And this I pray, that your charity may more and more abound in knowledge, and in all understanding: 10 That you may approve the better things, that you may be sincere and without offence unto the day of Christ,

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Phillipians 1:4 etc...;)

Our reading today shows us that guilt keeps us on the path of righteousness. :)
I think "guilt" has a very negative and misleading connotation, in my culture at least. I prefer "knowledge of God's Truth" and "religious conviction."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.