Trump is right, we can't compete with Mexico for jobs, need to end minimum wage

How should Americans deal with the illegal immigration and job crisis?

• Mass Deportation

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • End minimum wage so we can compete

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Americans don't need jobs

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ChristJudgeOfAll

Jul 1, 2015
✟9,729.00
Faith
Protestant
Many people who push for not building a wall and not implementing mass deportation needs to consider that we also have to deal with a minimum wage if you are legally here.

A lot of illegals take jobs that pay very little, and we can't legally compete with their pricing because of minimum wage.

Imagine the government making sure that you sell your services for a higher price, while illegals sell their services for less, it makes it very hard to compete in the job market.

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Many people who push for not building a wall and not implementing mass deportation needs to consider that we also have to deal with a minimum wage if you are legally here.

A lot of illegals take jobs that pay very little, and we can't legally compete with their pricing because of minimum wage.

Imagine the government making sure that you sell your services for a higher price, while illegals sell their services for less, it makes it very hard to compete in the job market.
Are YOU offering to work for a wage similar to what they pay in Mexico?

I assume your idea for slashing wages in a race to the bottom for conditions isn't going to effect the pay of executives, is it?

Upvote 0

Douger

Veteran
Oct 2, 2004
✟165,821.00
Faith
Christian
I would like to see the minimum wage reduced or eliminated, but only as part of broader reform towards liberty and a shift in decision making from the government to the individual.
Donald Trump however wants outright facism minus the safety net. Trump is not right, Trump is dead wrong. Trump's America would be a Dickensian, mercantile nightmare.

Reactions: katherine2001
Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Bring back indentured servitude, share cropping, the truck system, debt bondage, child labor, debtor’s prisons, and the company store. Only then will we as a nation be free and prosperous. Donald Trump can be our King.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,421,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure who your post was directed to, but in case it was a general question to everyone, then I believe that there should be a very high level of free enterprise allowed.

Sorry, that was directed to the OP.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Well, let's see -- if we eliminate the minimum wage, we still won't be able to produce goods as cheaply as the third world...

If we're going to race to the bottom, there's a whole lot we're going to have to eliminate (in terms of working standards) in order to get there.

The Unions will be furious... so naturally, they'll be the first to go.

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Of course, the problem is that we're not able to work for little enough. If only we could hire more Americans for $3/hour, American prosperity would follow.

Except, of course, Americans who work for a living, as all wages would decrease for workers if we were to remove the minimum wage. The good news, is that owners and executives would be able to take a larger share of the profits for themselves. All that reduction in overhead has to go somewhere!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well, let's see -- if we eliminate the minimum wage, we still won't be able to produce goods as cheaply as the third world...

If we're going to race to the bottom, there's a whole lot we're going to have to eliminate (in terms of working standards) in order to get there.

The Unions will be furious... so naturally, they'll be the first to go.
UNIONS??!! What are ya? Some kind of communist??

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I know, right?
canttreatus.png

WORKER
(squeaky, annoying voice) You can't treat the working man this way. One day, we'll form a union and get the fair and equitable treatment we deserve! Then we'll go too far, and get corrupt and shiftless, and the Japanese will eat us alive!

BURNS' GRANDFATHER
The Japanese?! Those sandal-wearing goldfish-tenders? Bosh, flim-shaw!

Back to the present day.

BURNS
If only we'd listened to that boy, instead of walling him up in the abandoned coke oven.

Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,093.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
What about d, none of the above. If you are really angry about Americans not being able to work because undocumented folk are willing to work for less then minimal wage, why not just go after the people doing the hiring? That's the real problem, people breaking our labor laws.

Reactions: Hetta
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What about d, none of the above. If you are really angry about Americans not being able to work because undocumented folk are willing to work for less then minimal wage, why not just go after the people doing the hiring? That's the real problem, people breaking our labor laws.
I've seen it argued that the only way to stop illegal immigration is to make it illegal to pay people less than minimum wage, and enforce it. Then people will have no reason to hire cheap undocumented labour, and they stop getting work, and stop coming.

Strangely, the people most gung-ho about the evil illegals seem strangely reluctant to even discuss such an idea.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Really? Those are the three responses allowed? Eye roll.

Why do so many Christians hate poor people and want them to be even poorer? I don't get it at all.

Historically, Christians have spent nearly all of their efforts for the benefit of the poor.
What data are you using to reach your conclusions?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've seen it argued that the only way to stop illegal immigration is to make it illegal to pay people less than minimum wage, and enforce it. Then people will have no reason to hire cheap undocumented labour, and they stop getting work, and stop coming.

Are you thinking "work" is a way to hand out money, or that "work" brings benefit to society?
I'm in the camp that "work" benefits society. For example I pay to have my
Sunday newspaper delivered to my door rather than me driving a mile
and buying one from the street vendor. If the delivery kid is getting $15/hour
then I might take up a second job one day a week. But I'm not sure how many
people will pay me $15 an hour to deliver their paper.

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Are you thinking "work" is a way to hand out money, or that "work" brings benefit to society?
I'm in the camp that "work" benefits society. For example I pay to have my
Sunday newspaper delivered to my door rather than me driving a mile
and buying one from the street vendor. If the delivery kid is getting $15/hour
then I might take up a second job one day a week. But I'm not sure how many
people will pay me $15 an hour to deliver their paper.
Well, it's a choice you have to make, isn't it? Either stop expecting to find people who will work for a pittance, or accept than when you pay a pittance, desperate people will try to get those jobs, I guess?

Upvote 0