Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Trump behaves like a dictator. If he doesn't like someone, he'll put him(her) into jail. He accepts election results 'if I win', otherwise..... Why he is so arrogant and arbitrary? Because he is the candidate of the FBI. That's their culture - lawlessness. He is a full reflect picture of it.

lol. He is the CEO and sole owner of 100 or so businesses around the world.
CEO's are just that.
He has no ties to the FBI.
Investigating Donald Trump, F.B.I. Sees No Clear Link to Russia

Upvote 0

Greenlee

Dec 3, 2016
West Africa
✟9,346.00
Country
Togo
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The populist similarities bear a striking resemblance to how other dictators have come into power. But.... and this is a big but... there is one very important denominator that we are missing that the other countries where dictators came in to power had. We are not a country with a failing economy, picking up the pieces after losing a crippling war, or facing annihilation by international policy written by a super power or a coalition of other countries.

Without this desperation, the chances of this country giving a president the authority to become a dictator are nil.

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

SteveB28

May 14, 2015
✟21,415.00
Faith
Atheist
The populist similarities bear a striking resemblance to how other dictators have come into power. But.... and this is a big but... there is one very important denominator that we are missing that the other countries where dictators came in to power had. We are not a country with a failing economy, picking up the pieces after losing a crippling war, or facing annihilation by international policy written by a super power or a coalition of other countries.

Without this desperation, the chances of this country giving a president the authority to become a dictator are nil.

You make some good points. The US is indeed in the fortunate position that it's outgoing administration is handing over an economy that is in pretty good shape and steadily improving. Time will tell how much damage the Glorious Leader will wreak upon that scenario....

However, one other aspect needs to be borne in mind....

Fascist leaders of the past have not necessarily troubled themselves with facts, or the reality of the national situation. It is all about selling a 'vision', of unfolding a narrative, regardless of whether that narrative contains truth.

Trump would have you folk believe that the USA is damaged in some way, that it is ailing, that it is in danger of slipping into the abyss. Hence his catchcry of "making it great again". And only the Glorious Leader has the skill and determination to do so.

The truth is somewhat at odds, of course. America is a great nation...has been for some time and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future.

But that doesn't fit the story, does it....?

Upvote 0

Greenlee

Dec 3, 2016
West Africa
✟9,346.00
Country
Togo
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Really? That's not what Trump supporters seem to think

Well, not to split hairs, but the premise of the campaign was that the country would fail if left in the hands of democrats, not that it already had failed.

That would be a ridiculous premise for the most powerful and richest nation in the world. I don't know a lot of hardcore Trump supporters, but the ones I do know are more concerned with the direction the country was headed than believing that it had been defeated already.

I think that's a really necessary distinction. But this hyper-alarmism goes both ways. Living in a very liberal part of the country, the hysteria surrounding his election seems premature.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trump behaves like a dictator. If he doesn't like someone, he'll put him(her) into jail. He accepts election results 'if I win', otherwise..... Why he is so arrogant and arbitrary? Because he is the candidate of the FBI. That's their culture - lawlessness. He is a full reflect picture of it.
On the other hand democrats want people to ONLY have the opinion they have, so pot meet kettle.

Upvote 0

Sultan Of Swing

Jan 4, 2015
✟9,476.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Since the FBI is lawless, do you reckon their verdict that Hillary is innocent is not to be trusted?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Fascist leaders of the past have not necessarily troubled themselves with facts, or the reality of the national situation. It is all about selling a 'vision', of unfolding a narrative, regardless of whether that narrative contains truth.

Trump would have you folk believe that the USA is damaged in some way, that it is ailing, that it is in danger of slipping into the abyss. Hence his catchcry of "making it great again". And only the Glorious Leader has the skill and determination to do so.

Hermann Goering, Hitler's deputy speaking in his own defense at the Nuremburg Trials, "Why of course the people don’t want war. Why should some poor slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best he can get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece? Naturally the common people don’t want war: neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

Upvote 0

SteveB28

May 14, 2015
✟21,415.00
Faith
Atheist
That's true, but isn't that always the strategy of every presidential candidate, to paint a new portrait of the nation to show how much change is needed and proposing themselves as the great savior?

Politicians are so predictable

I think it's a question of degree....

Take the current scenario as an example....

President Obama takes office at a time when your economy is in the worst position it has seen since the Great Depression. Your country is involved in two wars, one of which shapes up as the longest in your history.

What is his story? Is America 'broken' and in desperate need of 'fixing' by the one man capable of 'making it great' again?

No.....he presents a message under the banner of 'hope' and 'change'....not unreasonable given the times. Very much within the norm of what could be expected of the usual politician coming to power.

Trump comes to power with the economy in good and improving condition. Unemployment is falling. The markets are improving. With the exception of her enemies, the USA enjoys good relationships around the world and her outgoing President is popular, at home and abroad. Her military is as strong and as present as ever.

What is his story? Can he sell himself on the facts of the situation, as they exist?

No. The USA is in perilous times! It is shamed around the world! It's working people are suffering mightily under a tyrant! It's broken and needs to be made "great again"!

Am I being unfair in painting this difference....?

Upvote 0

SteveB28

May 14, 2015
✟21,415.00
Faith
Atheist
Hermann Goering, Hitler's deputy speaking in his own defense at the Nuremburg Trials, "Why of course the people don’t want war. Why should some poor slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best he can get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece? Naturally the common people don’t want war: neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

Your quotation is so valid.

But it brings back some frightening memories.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

President Obama takes office at a time when your economy is in the worst position it has seen since the Great Depression. Your country is involved in two wars, one of which shapes up as the longest in your history.

What is his story? Is America 'broken' and in desperate need of 'fixing' by the one man capable of 'making it great' again?

No.....he presents a message under the banner of 'hope' and 'change'....not unreasonable given the times. Very much within the norm of what could be expected of the usual politician coming to power.

Trump comes to power with the economy in good and improving condition. Unemployment is falling. The markets are improving. With the exception of her enemies, the USA enjoys good relationships around the world and her outgoing President is popular, at home and abroad. Her military is as strong and as present as ever.

What is his story? Can he sell himself on the facts of the situation, as they exist?

No. The USA is in perilous times! It is shamed around the world! It's working people are suffering mightily under a tyrant! It's broken and needs to be made "great again"!

Am I being unfair in painting this difference....?.

Not in the least. That was a fair assessment

Upvote 0

Greenlee

Dec 3, 2016
West Africa
✟9,346.00
Country
Togo
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Am I being unfair in painting this difference....?

I wouldn't say unfair so much as I'd say sensational.

We are not in dire straights as a nation. We have roofs over our heads, excellent healthcare, cupboards filled with food, a functioning government, and we are a super power. I've never lived under a dictator but I've lived in a country that has had a dictatorial government for generations just prior to my living there. Our country looks nothing like that and I would be surprised to see it devolve into such a government in my life time.

My perspective is admittedly very different than yours since I'm coming from a point of view of a missionary in a developing country with a barely functional government, widespread preventable disease and abject poverty.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JonFromMinnesota

Sep 3, 2015
Minnesota
✟52,766.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
On the other hand democrats want people to ONLY have the opinion they have, so pot meet kettle.

You're entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts. Climate change is exhibit A. There is no debate over it anymore but the majority of elected republicans continue to deny it.

Upvote 0

Greenlee

Dec 3, 2016
West Africa
✟9,346.00
Country
Togo
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
That isn't to say that Obama didn't abuse his executive privilege. That was a very dangerous precedent that he set and the reigns certainly need to be pulled back on executive powers... the mass hysteria about Trump's presidency might actually help us accomplish that though. :) see, silver lining to every cloud?

Upvote 0

SteveB28

May 14, 2015
✟21,415.00
Faith
Atheist
I wouldn't say unfair so much as I'd say sensational.

We are not in dire straights as a nation. We have roofs over our heads, excellent healthcare, cupboards filled with food, a functioning government, and we are a super power. I've never lived under a dictator but I've lived in a country that has had a dictatorial government for generations just prior to my living there. Our country looks nothing like that and I would be surprised to see it devolve into such a government in my life time.

My perspective is admittedly very different than yours since I'm coming from a point of view of a missionary in a developing country with a barely functional government, widespread preventable disease and abject poverty.

You may have misunderstood my point.

I agree with you, that your country is in good and improving shape. It isn't in dire peril..

But that's where my point lies.

Trump has ridden to power on the lie that your country IS in needing of saving, that it DOES need to be "made great again".

It is a lie. Many of you have been duped.

And this is the modus operandi of the confidence trickster and the fascist....

Upvote 0

SteveB28

May 14, 2015
✟21,415.00
Faith
Atheist
That isn't to say that Obama didn't abuse his executive privilege. That was a very dangerous precedent that he set and the reigns certainly need to be pulled back on executive powers... the mass hysteria about Trump's presidency might actually help us accomplish that though. :) see, silver lining to every cloud?

It's interesting that you misspell the word "reins".

You think that Trump won't try to rule from his 'throne'....?

Which of the "executive powers" causes you concern...?

Upvote 0

JonFromMinnesota

Sep 3, 2015
Minnesota
✟52,766.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
That isn't to say that Obama didn't abuse his executive privilege. That was a very dangerous precedent that he set and the reigns certainly need to be pulled back on executive powers...

I'm guessing this may have to do with executive orders that Obama gave that you disagree with rather than the amount he gave? His total right now is 260 compared to Bush's 291, Clinton's 360 and if we go way back to FRD...3721.

Upvote 0