✟7,883.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello everyone,

I don't know if this is the right place for this, or even if I'm allowed to discuss this on here, but let me tell you a little bit about myself.
I am born and raised Baptist. I used to think I wanted to become a preacher, but now I think God is leading me to other things. For a while, I was looking into Catholicism, but am wanting a true relationship with Christ and a true desire for the Word of God. As I am now attending a very prominent Baptist college, I have found a wonderful body of believers around me.
Today, I was texting back and forth with one of my Catholic friends. This is exactly what she told me, that if I really am rejecting Catholicism that I am not a true believing Christian. She also said that I "reject the true Church of Christ and thus do not really worship the One God."
Now, there are many things that I do like about the Catholic faith, but this had to be one of the biggest turn offs for me, where if I was not Catholic I am somehow condemned.

If anyone can tell me how to respond to this, or any way to further my relationship with Christ and to get any doubts out of my head, it would be a blessing.

Thank y'all

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It appears your friend rejects the RCC ecumenical efforts to consider Protestants of today as brothers merely wandering from the true church. Such is implied in the council of Vatican II. This would mean she is a traditionalist which considers such statements of Vatican II as contradictory to the council of Trent. If this is the case, then she may be too rooted in RCC tradition to be reasoned with, whether through the Scriptures or church history.

What, in particular might be the reasons for your doubting?

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Shrug it off...just nonsense. You follow the straight and narrow and do not take the wide road! This is not a time nor place to bash the RCC and say all the things they do that contradicts Scripture...it's a time to focus on your course and cut out the noise.

You want to further your relationship with Christ? Less posting, more praying! Ask Him before you ask us! :)

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
It appears your friend rejects the RCC ecumenical efforts to consider Protestants of today as brothers merely wandering from the true church. Such is implied in the council of Vatican II. This would mean she is a traditionalist which considers such statements of Vatican II as contradictory to the council of Trent. If this is the case, then she may be too rooted in RCC tradition to be reasoned with, whether through the Scriptures or church history.

What, in particular might be the reasons for your doubting?

This is wrong.
Neither V2 nor any of the popes has ever rejected the doctrine of "Outside the church no salvation".
The change you're talking about Royal is the focus on "knowledge" that has come into play in the past V2 era.

Now adays we're not as categorical as we where in the past.
If a person know about the church and her doctrine but still refuse to enter her then "Extra Ecclesiam nulla salus" still applies.

We do ABSOLUTELY NOT believe in the every church is as good as the one on the corner or that every Christian is a wandering church terminology.

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
This is wrong.
Neither V2 nor any of the popes has ever rejected the doctrine of "Outside the church no salvation".
The change you're talking about Royal is the focus on "knowledge" that has come into play in the past V2 era.

Now adays we're not as categorical as we where in the past.
If a person know about the church and her doctrine but still refuse to enter her then "Extra Ecclesiam nulla salus" still applies.

We do ABSOLUTELY NOT believe in the every church is as good as the one on the corner or that every Christian is a wandering church terminology.
Does not Vatican II teach that the 'anathema's' pronounced in Trent were exclusive to the original Protestants in the 14th century, and not to their spiritual descendants?

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Does not Vatican II teach that the 'anathema's' pronounced in Trent were exclusive to the original Protestants in the 14th century, and not to their spiritual descendants?

That's correct, but all it means is that a child raised in a protestant faith without any knowledge of Catholicism whatsoever can't be held responsible for his or hers ancestors rejection of the church.
After all those who are borned into protestantism haven't turned their back on anything really.

It's from the moment one gets aware of the fulness of truth within the church that it's possible to wholeheartedly reject it, thus refuse to obey Christ.

( According to what we believe.)
(sorry if I come of as prozetylating )

Last edited:
Upvote 0

singpeace

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2009
U.S.
✟40,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hello everyone,

I don't know if this is the right place for this, or even if I'm allowed to discuss this on here, but let me tell you a little bit about myself.
I am born and raised Baptist. I used to think I wanted to become a preacher, but now I think God is leading me to other things. For a while, I was looking into Catholicism, but am wanting a true relationship with Christ and a true desire for the Word of God. As I am now attending a very prominent Baptist college, I have found a wonderful body of believers around me.
Today, I was texting back and forth with one of my Catholic friends. This is exactly what she told me, that if I really am rejecting Catholicism that I am not a true believing Christian. She also said that I "reject the true Church of Christ and thus do not really worship the One God."
Now, there are many things that I do like about the Catholic faith, but this had to be one of the biggest turn offs for me, where if I was not Catholic I am somehow condemned.

If anyone can tell me how to respond to this, or any way to further my relationship with Christ and to get any doubts out of my head, it would be a blessing.

Thank y'all

Landon, do not worry about what your friend texted you concerning Catholicism. Just love her and pray that somehow she will see that ALL who believe on Christ shall be saved; not just the Catholic Church. Keep seeking, praying, asking, believing!

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
That's correct, but all it means is that a child raised in a protestant faith without any knowledge of Catholicism whatsoever can't be held responsible for his or her ancestors rejection of the church.
After all those who are borned into protestantism haven't turned their back on anything really.

It's from the moment one gets aware of the fulness of truth within the church that it's possible to wholeheartedly reject it, thus refuse to obey Christ.
But all Protestants, who stand in the heritage of the reformers, reject the RCC as something to be followed. Many of the reformers believed the office of Pope belongs to the antichrist.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
But all Protestants, who stand in the heritage of the reformers, reject the RCC as something to be followed. Many of the reformers believed the office of Pope belongs to the antichrist.

There is the very important distinction of rejecting what you believe is Catholicsm based on false information and strawmen (in many cases since early childhood) you've been fed and to read up on what we actually believe in and then reject it.

If you do the first then your better off than the latter.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Hello everyone,

Thank y'all

Protestants and catholics believe in the same God to say differently is rubbish.
We do believe in the same religion, but we hold different faiths.

On general basis she's right, but we have no right to judge anyone on an individual level.

God bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Protestants and catholics believe in the same God to say differently is rubbish.
We do believe in the same religion, but we hold different faiths.

On general basis she's right, but we have no right to judge anyone on an individual level.

God bless.
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
But what if one were to reject faithful sources such as the Catholic Catechism and theological discussion with moderators at CatholicAnswers?

I guess they wind up in the Baptist forum on CF! ^_^

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would just ignore it.
Your catholic friend means well but is misguided. I think maybe God is giving you an awareness of how other people view their church. Some catholics are very staunch about their beliefs.

Keep reading the bible and let God show you what church means to Him, and who his followers are.

The reason why they say those things is because their church catechism (which is not the bible itself) teaches that anyone not catholic is protestant, and has anathema on them because we dont recognise the pope etc etc. but actually the Bible says anyone who does not believe Jesus christ came in the flesh and died and rose again is bringing another gospel and is cursed. Galatians has some pertinent verses on the matter.
So they are mistaken.

Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,233,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Hello everyone,

Thank y'all

Facepalming until my head hurts. If you know Jesus you are my brother even if you are not Catholic.

There are some fine documents that are official Catholic teaching on the subject that just don't get read by Catholics or Protestants. So silliness gets perpetuated. Start with 'Ut Unum Sint' (that they may be one) by pope John Paul II.

http://w2.vatican.va/content/john-p...ments/hf_jp-ii_enc_25051995_ut-unum-sint.html

Draw your own conclusions. We're not at all saying all religions are equal. But neither are we saying you worship some other deity. We are saying that we all belong together and we need to all work for it rather than against it.

Upvote 0

BrokenWarrior

Just a Messenger
Dec 29, 2014
Where ever my Lord's work is to be done.
✟8,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well,I'd say GoodBook has given the best advice so far.

Your friend means well... she probably really does...

However,she is misguided and wrong.

She might not know it,but you do.

Don't sweat it. Let alone,compromise your faith.

You might even use it as an opportunity to witness to her.

I've always said. Don't try to "convert" people to a religion.

Religions are just organizations made up by evil men to excuse their sinful actions. We are not a religion. We are people who are aware of the Truth. Are aware of God,our sins, and our hope in Christ.

So try to talk to her as an adult. Don't "convert" her,rather, explain the Truth to her.

Explain that the Bible is God's recorded history.

That we are all sinners in God's eyes.

And that to be saved,we have to trust that Jesus will save us.

Maybe try it this way.

Try to have her imagine God as a judge.

Ask her if a good judge pardons a murderer because he/she says they're sorry.

Or if a judge forgives a assaulter just because they did something "good" like giving to a charity.

No,if that judge is righteous,he must have justice... he must have payment.

Then explain to her that God also Loves us. So He provided a way.

He manifested Himself as the man Jesus of Nazareth, lived to be sinless and a perfect sacrifice, died our attonement, and was Ressurected as our hope.

Tell her to now imagine Jesus as her attorney, and He possess the payment to your lawlessness. His blood... explain that His one condition is that you Trust His promise He's made to us,that He'll save us if we trust Him saying He will.

Tell her that she can now be legally pardoned in God's eyes.

Lastly,try to show her that this is all backed up 100% by Scripture.

Show her the falsehoods of the RCC.

Like Purgatory,which implies that if they don't repent of their sins,they're sentenced there for a predetermined amount of time. But that's an insult to God. They're basically saying,"God,I'm sorry,but your blood was not good enough for my sin,so I must make up for where it lacks." Doesn't that enrage your spirit at the very sound of those words?

Just one example of many...

Sorry for the wall of text, but a good deal was said,and a good deal needed to be replied.

Hoping the best for you Sibling in Faith.

Cheers ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
The reason why they say those things is because their church catechism (which is not the bible itself) teaches that anyone not catholic is protestant

Why does it keep a fair share of canonical paragraphs regarding the Orthodox Christians if as you claim that it considers every non catholic to be Protestant?

Actually it says that all baptized Christians are catholics as there is one baptism and one faith.
If anything it's more proper to refer to protestants as Catholics in half - communion with the church.

(Please either read up on the parts you pretend to know or leave it. Strawmen are not helpful even if you're pro ecumenism).

I think that this 'curse' was lifted with vatican 2 and now catholics have come to accept that people who dont belong to the catholic church can be christians too. But you still find the old catechisms being taught.

Yea its weird.

You have been informed that you're perception is wrong, but still you endorse the false understanding of our catechism. It's sad really.

We don't have an old catechism and a new one.
It's consistent with the church teachings of the past.
Doctrines hasn't been changed under V2. Developed yes, changed no.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟903,275.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Shrug it off...just nonsense. You follow the straight and narrow and do not take the wide road! This is not a time nor place to bash the RCC and say all the things they do that contradicts Scripture...it's a time to focus on your course and cut out the noise.

You want to further your relationship with Christ? Less posting, more praying! Ask Him before you ask us! :)

Indeed.

@OP

Not a true Christian? That's awfully rich coming from someone whose relationship with Christ in the most important areas is facilitated by a mediator, wouldn't you say?

It's commendable that you've taken time to consider your response and I trust given the effort thus far that you're going to be humble in your response, but yeah, you're on the right path.

Sola gratia, sola fide, solo Christo. The only way. No middle-man. No amount of water, wealth or works is going to save us.

Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

The Portuguese Baptist

Centre-right conservative Christian-Democrat
Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hello everyone,

Thank y'all

Landon, rest assured that Catholicism is a false religion! I have studied the Protestant and Catholic doctrines, and I can assure you that, if you are a Baptist, you are following the true faith. Believe in everything in which the Baptists believe, and you will be saved; believe in everything in which the Catholics believe, and I cannot be sure you'll really be saved...

I hope you are aware of the falsities that the Catholic church preaches. From salvation by works to priests as mediators, from the Pope's infallibility to honour to the Saints and Mary, from the Apocrypha to the Purgatory, from Mary's immaculate conception to her perpetual virginity... Where shall I start? It is my firm belief that Catholics are wrong in all these things. Rest assured: Catholicism is not even a true religion, much less the only true religion!

So, I understand that this friend told you that Catholicism is the only true religion, and no Protestant is a true Christian. Wow! I must confess I had never heard this coming from a Catholic! I have heard that from Jehovah's Witnesses, but not from Catholics!

Rest assured: she is absolutely wrong (the proof being that I am a Christian and not a Catholic :) ). That you should reject the True Church of Christ for not being a Catholic! Jesus did not come to found Catholicism, but Christianity. We must follow the Bible, not the church. The church is not perfect. In order for Catholics to believe that, from their foundation, they have always followed the truth, they must believe that all popes are infallible. Just think how ridiculous that is! The church is made up of humans who fail. You cannot say that all popes throughout the history of the Church have always been chosen by God and never failed in guiding the Church. Popes are chosen by humans, not God. The pope is not infallible.

The Catholic Church is not infallible. In fact, anyone who believes that it is — like your friend — must believe that it is OK to burn people to death only because they believe in different things from you, because that is what the Catholic Church did some five centuries ago.

How can you respond? Good question! Maybe you can respond using what I have just said. Ask her this: ‘How do you explain that the “Only True Infallible Church of Christ” burnt people to death only because they disagreed with the church?’ Maybe then you can proceed to talk about all that nonsense that the Catholic Church believes in: salvation by works, Purgatory, priests as mediators, etc., and confront her with biblical truth. Ask your Baptist friends to help you!

I hope this has been helpful!

Upvote 0