Trolls, Flamers, Harassers, Beware!

george78

Loathed
Aug 4, 2005
✟17,138.00
Faith
Utrecht
http://news.com.com/Create+an+e-annoyance,+go+to+jail/2010-1028_3-6022491.html

Annoying someone via the Internet is now a federal crime.

-------------------------------

Personally I am glad that this Legislation was passed. For some reason internet boards (including this one) seem to have many more liberals than the general public at large. If you took internet polls at the last general election, Kerry was winning them with 65%+ of the vote. However more traditional scientific polls and the actual election results were not swung in favor of liberals.

While many liberals just want to debate, there are also numerous liberals who like to harass, attack, troll and flame conservatives off the net. This is now a federal crime unless they do so under their real names.

No more is making a flaming post under an internet user name just breaking the particular web-board's rules, no, now it is breaking the law.

No more is seeking out those who oppose immorality and perversion and calling them "bigots" "nutjobs" or "wackos" under a nameless internet identity just bad taste, no, now it's against the law.

At the very least, this legislation will make people be a bit more civil on web-boards.

Now, who wants to take bets on how long before the ACLU trys to sue. :)

Jebediah

Senior Veteran
Dec 8, 2005
✟3,940.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
george78 said:
http://news.com.com/Create+an+e-annoyance%2C+go+to+jail/2010-1028_3-6022491.html

Personally I am glad that this Legislation was passed. For some reason internet boards (including this one) seem to have many more liberals than the general public at large. If you took internet polls at the last general election, Kerry was winning them with 65%+ of the vote. However more traditional scientific polls and the actual election results were not swung in favor of liberals.

While many liberals just want to debate, there are also numerous liberals who like to harass, attack, troll and flame conservatives off the net. This is now a federal crime unless they do so under their real names.

No more is making a flaming post under an internet user name just breaking the particular web-board's rules, no, now it is breaking the law.

No more is seeking out those who oppose immorality and perversion and calling them "bigots" "nutjobs" or "wackos" under a nameless internet identity just bad taste, no, now it's against the law.

At the very least, this legislation will make people be a bit more civil on web-boards.

I would like to point out that it is also illegal to:

1. download music and movies
2. pirate software
3. have minors use inappropriate content sites

And there is simply no way to enforce such things. These people just like to make laws. Good luck with that...I kinda like the idea of all of battle.net being hauled off by feds.

Upvote 0

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I assume then, I could put on a name tag saying that my name was Bob and start singing 99 bottles of beer on the wall in public and go to jail for it?

Sounds to me like this is a stepping stone to stop people from posting negative comments out the government under anonymous user names. That will be next.

Upvote 0

george78

Loathed
Aug 4, 2005
✟17,138.00
Faith
Utrecht
I would like to point out that it is also illegal to:

1. download music and movies
2. pirate software
3. have minors use inappropriate content sites

And people are prosecuted for each of those things every day.

Beside that, most web-boards, in fact, every web-board that I have been to has some rule prohibiting posts that are "illegal" or run afoul of the law.

Rule number 4 on this web-board covers that.

The federal law has the effect of making rule number 4 very, very broad now, unless the poster decides to use their real name.

Upvote 0

Quantos

Sock ? What Sock
Mar 6, 2005
Earth for now
✟33,990.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
george78 said:
http://news.com.com/Create+an+e-annoyance%2C+go+to+jail/2010-1028_3-6022491.html

Well you did not post your true name, and your post is anoying to me, enjoy jail. :)

Reactions: AirPo
Upvote 0

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Quantos said:
Well you did not post your true name, and your post is anoying to me, enjoy jail. :)

This comment, poking fun at the situation is annoying to me. Off to jail! I think Arlen Spector must be completely insane for thinking this is necessary....whoops I hope that comment wasn't annoying....oh well...in case it was, my name is Mike. Wooo I'm free.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Quantos

Sock ? What Sock
Mar 6, 2005
Earth for now
✟33,990.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
InnerPhyre said:
This comment, poking fun at the situation is annoying to me. Off to jail! I think Arlen Spector must be completely insane for thinking this is necessary....whoops I hope that comment wasn't annoying....oh well...in case it was, my name is Mike. Wooo I'm free.

Opps You didn't post your full name ;)

Quantos Bettlebrox.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Quantos said:

:amen:

The article says that the original legislation talked about "severe emotional harm" and not just "annoyance," and that it was for the sake of internet stalking and such. But with "annoyance," it's much less specific, and I hope the Supreme Court strikes it down.

Upvote 0

george78

Loathed
Aug 4, 2005
✟17,138.00
Faith
Utrecht

We both know that the statute doesn't work that way :).

"Whoever...utilizes any device or software that can be used to originate telecommunications or other types of communications that are transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet... without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person...who receives the communications...shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."

No prosecutor would ever prosecute, nor would any jury every convict on a post sending message out over cyberspace, that did not contain any directly derogatory statements or messages directed to a person.

However a post directed at a specific person, calling them a "bigot" "wacko" "hater" "nutjob" or any other name would fit the bill.

In essence, the bill would criminalize much of the typical internet "debate" that goes on in web-boards, and force people to actually be civil and think out arguments instead of calling names and being childish.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
george78 said:
We both know that the statute doesn't work that way :).

"Whoever...utilizes any device or software that can be used to originate telecommunications or other types of communications that are transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet... without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person...who receives the communications...shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."

No prosecutor would ever prosecute, nor would any jury every convict on a post sending message out over cyberspace, that did not contain any directly derogatory statements or messages directed to a person.

However a post directed at a specific person, calling them a "bigot" "wacko" "hater" "nutjob" or any other name would fit the bill.

In essence, the bill would criminalize much of the typical internet "debate" that goes on in web-boards, and force people to actually be civil and think out arguments instead of calling names and being childish.

Wacko :)

Upvote 0

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Seriously though, this is idiotic. If they want to make anonymous flaming illegal, they're going to have to do some serious prison building. Maybe they can just clear out Texas and make it a penal colony for everyone who will have to be arrested for this crime.

But that's the government for you. We need more laws! More more more. Wait somethings are still legal? Outlaw them quick! We must babysit these helpless masses of commoners or they might actually learn to think for and take care of themselves.

Upvote 0

Blackguard_

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Feb 9, 2004
Tucson
✟18,992.00
Faith
Lutheran

Is "flaming" someone offline illegal? Why should it be online? I see no reason why rules of conduct should be up to the Feds.

This is insane. Should it be illegal to call someone off-line a nut-job and the like?

No, it and the burden of proof for "and with intent to annoy." will just result in Sophistic prosecutors playing Cardinal "give me six lines written by the most honroable of men and I will find an excuse in them to hang him" Richelieu with people's chat logs and posts.

Upvote 0