• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Traumatic Life!

pure4u2

Jun 11, 2014
Canada
✟17,549.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]I've seen a psychologist to talk about my life and she said that I've had traumatic life and I have never seen it like that. Just thought my life was somewhat normal. It's a step to share my story but here goes:

My father was abusive and my mom had left him when I was three, when he came back I didn't talk for a year. I don't remember most of my childhood. But when my dad was gone for good, since my sister was the one that got the wrath of it. Up until 16, she then abused me. Emotionally, verbally and physically. Moving around throughout my childhood and being bullied. When I was 12 years old I was in a horrible car accident where after we lost our home, family business at the time and moved to the big city. That summer before going into grade 9, I was sexually assaulted by three men in my building and the next two years at school was hell. People followed me home, threatened me if I left my house. I had stayed in the house for 3 months scared of my life and didn't want my life. I had thought about suicide but never had enough guts to do it and thought of all the family that would miss me. It was then I was introduced to inappropriate content, chat lines, and being used by guys because I was finding love in all the wrong places.

It wasn't til last past January where I was in another very traumatic car accident where I had a concussion and am still suffering from it. My mom has heard me screaming and crying in my sleep, have severe anxiety in vehicles or get upset near loud crashes or sudden movements.

My question to you is what has helped you to move on and have hope?[/COLOR]

Zero1

Jun 3, 2015
✟7,630.00
Faith
You are not alone.
I ask this question myself from time to time...

When not distracted by work and other things, when I have to confront these feelings...
I just picture myself in an unspecified future where I am happier, maybe doing what I enjoy or in a better environment - and reassure myself I will dig out of whatever mess I got myself into, that it's not life and death, it can be beaten... maybe not now, but eventually...

I try not to replay bad memories over and over again in my mind as they escalate into something bigger then what they should be. I think of my problems, such as my current depressed state, as a temporary moment that will later become insignificant.

Also it helps that I take the time and enjoy all the little things that come my way like a good meal, reading something insightful, cracking a joke with someone, hearing a nice tune, seeing the river waters flow by, etc...

Not saying this in any spiritual sense (although it can be applied), I have my struggles with faith.
Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Wise, insighful conselling can help. Those experiences instilled very clearly much negativity that is coming out in your sleep. It is often not an easy process to work through such horrible events, but caring support can get you through the hard times.

Have you ever felt you were 'not there' for periods duringa day? What was the racial/spiritual heritage of your family?

John
NZ

Upvote 0

Survivor1288

Jun 10, 2015
✟7,676.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]I've seen a psychologist to talk about my life and she said that I've had traumatic life and I have never seen it like that. Just thought my life was somewhat normal. It's a step to share my story but here goes:

My father was abusive and my mom had left him when I was three, when he came back I didn't talk for a year. I don't remember most of my childhood. But when my dad was gone for good, since my sister was the one that got the wrath of it. Up until 16, she then abused me. Emotionally, verbally and physically. Moving around throughout my childhood and being bullied. When I was 12 years old I was in a horrible car accident where after we lost our home, family business at the time and moved to the big city. That summer before going into grade 9, I was sexually assaulted by three men in my building and the next two years at school was hell. People followed me home, threatened me if I left my house. I had stayed in the house for 3 months scared of my life and didn't want my life. I had thought about suicide but never had enough guts to do it and thought of all the family that would miss me. It was then I was introduced to inappropriate content, chat lines, and being used by guys because I was finding love in all the wrong places.

It wasn't til last past January where I was in another very traumatic car accident where I had a concussion and am still suffering from it. My mom has heard me screaming and crying in my sleep, have severe anxiety in vehicles or get upset near loud crashes or sudden movements.

My question to you is what has helped you to move on and have hope?[/COLOR]

wow...I'm so sorry that happened to you. The biggest thing that helped me is therapy.

Upvote 0