• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

trauma-based personality

Feb 7, 2004
SE USA
Visit site
✟238.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was told today that I have a trauma-based personality - that is slightly different from the PTSD that I thought it was..... TBP is something beyond PTSD - when there have been numerous severe traumas and one has found coping mechanisms that allow one to maintain an equalibrium so one can function....... but after 50 years of coping my mechanism has finally worn out and the teeth have all borken off......

I'm supposed to start journaling and begin the task of identifying the coping mechaniams that are protecting me from or are anticipating traumas..... in an effort to eventually re-build myself

I admit deep resistance to this - even thought it is I who identified that I have a problaem and have actively sought help.....

through the EAP @ work they found a therapist - but he is not a believer and that may present problem......

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I have a therapist who is not a Christian. It has been a blessing from God. Because of his lack of spiritual emphasis, he challenges me to dig deeper into my faith, and the Bible. I have a close Christian friend in whom I confide everything. She prays for him every time I go to see him. God uses him in a mighty way.

If your therapist has a license to practice psychotherapy, you should be okay.

The journaling is a good start. Identifying your coping mechanisms can help you too. In therapy you can work on determining which coping mechanisms help you, and which hinder you.

I have some coping mechansims that hinder me. One is eating. I have used food to cope. I am learning new coping mechanisms to replace eating.

I hope you are successful in your therapy. Let me know how it goes.

Madison

Upvote 0

MrsGnomeCrusher

Veteran
Mar 17, 2004
Manitoba, Canada
✟10,010.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was diagnosed with PTSD and I went to a therapist who wasn't a Christian therapists. However, nothing she said or did compromised my faith. In fact, she was a blessing in my life. A very good therapists that help me to the root of my problem.

Also, call your insurance and find participating therapists. If you go to one and you do not feel comfortable, you're not obligated to ever set foor in there again. If you can find a Christian therapists, I'd go for it, but do not give up on therapy because you cannot find one that is a Christian.

Upvote 0

Glorianna

I'm a proud Canadian who married an American!
Mar 29, 2004
USA
✟30,938.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Adiel batKelev said:
I was told today that I have a trauma-based personality - that is slightly different from the PTSD that I thought it was..... TBP is something beyond PTSD - when there have been numerous severe traumas and one has found coping mechanisms that allow one to maintain an equalibrium so one can function....... but after 50 years of coping my mechanism has finally worn out and the teeth have all borken off......

I'm supposed to start journaling and begin the task of identifying the coping mechaniams that are protecting me from or are anticipating traumas..... in an effort to eventually re-build myself

I admit deep resistance to this - even thought it is I who identified that I have a problaem and have actively sought help.....

through the EAP @ work they found a therapist - but he is not a believer and that may present problem......

I am so glad that you are getting help. I know it can be hard to follow through on the help that we've sought, but you can do it! God is with you and is there to comfort you. I'm praying for you. :prayer: :hug:

Upvote 0

Dak man

Sep 21, 2004
Texas
✟15,434.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I will be praying for you as well. I just recently worked through a slight case of DID. I had to dig deep to memories I purposely left out about my childhood before I could change. It is painful but it is good that you identified it because that means that you know there is need for change. Just know that even though cliche, it does tend to be darkest right before dawn.

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2004
SE USA
Visit site
✟238.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
going back and feeling the things I worked so hard to not be servant to it something I am deeply resistant to doing..... While I may be living in a cage - it is one of my own making and not that forged for me......

I may find that I use this a an informal journal.......

I don't have any problem knowing who I am and neither have I dissassociated from who I am - there are not multiple me's - just one....

but I have dissassociated from my feelings - Dr. Tom has shown me that in just 2 meetings.... the only feeling other than love I can consistantly identify is anger - I have others - but I can not name them..... they have no face, but then neither have they any teeth......

Upvote 0