Not open for further replies.

koko081012

Dec 8, 2014
✟7,722.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
i do think they need to hear the gospel, we all start somewhere with Christ. I wouldn't think they should be allowed to become a member of the church while still practicing the sin. I would say the same for an unmarried couple living together (which I was, so am also referring to my own past sins here), or an alcoholic, ect. However if the church turns these people away, to say they may not even enter, how then do they receive the gospel? We are all broken and in need of a savior. Just because their sin is more obvious then another's, it doesn't make it bigger. Sin is sin. To say that one is more wrong then that one, is going against the word of God. How can we help one to heal and find Christ if we turn them away before we even know their story? That person is still an image bearer. Some of the most broken people are those with the strongest of testimonies. Plant seeds, and allow the spirit to do the convicting. The greatest commandment is love, turning away and closing doors to an unsaved sinner is not love. It's true that we still sin even after being saved, but there should be a difference in ones life after being saved, conviction and repentance of sins the Holy Spirit convicts of us. Once saved, they would be convicted and turn away from the sin, and then may join Christs body, and become a member. Christ may have sent that person to you to speak of his love! Often we let our fears get in the way of God's will, afraid of the effect it will have on the kids, or the church, or what will others think? It doesn't matter.. What matters is what Christ thinks.. And if Christ sent a man dressed as a female to your church to hear the gospel repent of his sin and turn to Christ... And people refuse and close doors, I think they would have to answer to that some day..

Upvote 0

chandraclaws

May 25, 2015
✟3,897.00
Faith
Christian
Yes. And I would allow someone who routinely lusts to retain their eyesight and a glutton to bring a snack in their pocket and a gossip to come to church without tape over their mouth.

We're all sinners. We all carry the baggage of that sin with us every day. If we start asking people to leave the church (or leave their sin outside the door before they come in), churches will be empty.
Amen.

Reactions: Mudinyeri
Upvote 0

GoodGRACEshus

Apr 25, 2016
Australia
✟17,769.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Many years ago, long before most Church members had ever openly entertained the concept of transvestites, we had a Sunday School teacher with rather large hands and feet. Her voice
pitched a little lower than most other females but was softly and gently delivered. I would venture to say she was one of, if not THE, most popular teachers of that group. A new member decided she must be a tran., and approached the minister (my grandfather) demanding she must be banned from church. Grandpa said, " if what you say Is true, then she needs us more than we need you. I would not want a Member here who could be so cruel as to judge another based on, the size of hands and feet and the pitch of her voice. If you are present in her bedroom when she disrobes and have first hand proof then I will have a talk with both of you!" He laughed a lot at the idea of approaching this gentle soul and asking if she was a man"............times have changed so much!

Reactions: PastorBen
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe we should except "homsexuals" in church,
You mean we should exclude them? That is what "except" means - as in "everyone except them..."

Or do you mean "accept?" That would mean we include them.

Upvote 0

Mudinyeri

May 4, 2016
Nebraska
✟11,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Actually I don't recall any Scripture saying that Jesus approached anyone other than the disciples.

The Samaritan woman at the well of Sychar is one example, off the top of my head, where Jesus approached her (spoke to her first).

Upvote 0

Mudinyeri

May 4, 2016
Nebraska
✟11,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, the goal isn't to increase numbers. It's to save souls, right?

...Sorry, I know I'm Catholic, but I have family who are Baptists through marriage on my wifes side.

No, the goal is not numbers, per se. The goal is to expose as many people to the Gospel as possible (sow the seed). "Excepting" (excluding) someone from church, from hearing the gospel, is in direct conflict with the Great Commission.

I do agree with those who have suggested that membership in the church should be preceded by repentance. However, when we start to say that only certain sins should keep someone out of church, or prevent them from membership, we become hypocrites - at best.

Upvote 0

Gwen-is-new!

The Lord is my rock!
Feb 25, 2016
United States
✟27,741.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
So ... this would be an opposition not based on the example of Christ who regularly sought out close interaction with adulteresses, harlots, tax collectors (cheats) and all manner of other, similar sinners? In which case, it would not be a scriptural opposition.

I always thought He sought them out to led them to repentance. He told them to go and sin no more. I am thinking in one case, Jesus told them not only to go and sin no more, but also threatened that something bad would happen if they did.

He didn't invite them to the synagogue.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gwen-is-new!

The Lord is my rock!
Feb 25, 2016
United States
✟27,741.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Thank you Twin; I think it is very clear "from the Word of God" that we are to love the sinner, but hate the sin. I believe we should except "homsexuals" in church, without excepting their life style. How can you teach that the "Bible teaches" that such is sin while excepting the practice of such in church?! A man dressed as a woman was in church where I go last Sunday, "by invitation"; it is my belief that he should be welcome to come to church; but not dressed as a woman. What kind of message are we sending to the rest of the church? What message are we sending to our children? What are we sending to the world around us?!

The message should be repentance and faith, right?

Upvote 0

2win

Dec 11, 2008
✟64,388.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
I thought I would clarify, it would be ok to have them as an attendee, but not a member until remission of sin. As long as they attend a biblical based church they would be hearing the gospel, they would then, either be convicted and repent. Or offended and leave...
Very well put Koko.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The Samaritan woman at the well of Sychar is one example, off the top of my head, where Jesus approached her (spoke to her first).

And asked her for water right?

Reactions: civilwarbuff
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mudinyeri

May 4, 2016
Nebraska
✟11,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

Gwen-is-new!

The Lord is my rock!
Feb 25, 2016
United States
✟27,741.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
You are very correct Albion! Some body needs to read the OP again very carefully. Would you allow a drunk to bring his/her whisky in church with them?!
That's a great analogy!

I'm just confused because it seems the church in the NT was for repentant sinners. We are definitely called to love the lost person, and share Christ with them, but I don't think that means bringing them to church. Did Apostle Paul do that?

Seems in the NT, it was repentance, faith, baptism, then come to church???

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.