Transgender: Mental Disorder, or not?

Do you believe Gender Dyphoria is a Mental Disorder?

• Total voters

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have had many discussions recently about whether or not Gender Dyphoria is a mental disorder. I put this video together discussing a few Philosophical Arguments.

What are your thoughts?

Well, of course it is.
But we all have disorders to some degree.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
If you knew someone who genuinely thought they were Napoleon Bonaparte trapped in the wrong body, would you:

A.) Encourage them to seek psychiatric help.
B.) Believe along with them that they are really Napoleon and encourage them to get extensive reconstructive surgery to look like him.

Upvote 0

GrimKingGrim

The Thin Dead Line of sanity
Apr 13, 2015
Isle of Who?
✟10,468.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you knew someone who genuinely thought they were Napoleon Bonaparte trapped in the wrong body, would you:

B.) Believe along with them that they are really Napoleon and encourage them to get extensive reconstructive surgery to look like him.

Explain how that would even happen

Upvote 0

Crowns&Laurels

Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't believe 'transgenderism' is a mental disorder in and of itself, but rather resorted to by underlying mental disorder.
There's no actual proof to actually say otherwise. Transgenders pre-exhibit the same behaviors as manic depression and in some cases even schizophrenia, and changing gender is simply a coping device.

Psychologists have banked in on a notion that a women can be born in a man's body, which is rank pseudoscience if there ever was such a thing. It's a heavily cherry picked field, with dubiously ignored issues such as the consistent vouching for, rather then scrutinizing, transgenderism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jenny1972

we are not all knowing
Oct 12, 2012
✟18,139.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Yes, is the woman who wanted to be blind (and was blinded) mentally ill?

I think the real discussion should be this: should the rest of society be forced to accept, embrace, and coddle someone's personal deviations from society's norms?

I am for freedom of belief. If someone believes that they are a different gender, color, religion, disabled, etc. than what they apparently are ... then go for it; that's their freedom to believe. Just don't try to force me to believe as they do, whether through law or otherwise - that's my freedom to believe.

Last edited:
Reactions: heatedmonk
Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker

Is Napoleon a gender, as of lately?

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
I have had many discussions recently about whether or not Gender Dyphoria is a mental disorder. I put this video together discussing a few Philosophical Arguments.

What are your thoughts?
I´m sorry - I didn´t make it past the introduction. That´s too nervous, long-winded and repetitive a lecture to endure. Why don´t you simply post what you have written down (and which seems to be better structured than your lecture)?

Anyway...how you are going to categorize this phenomenon depends entirely on how you define of the categories (and, of course, those premises you ask us to accept in the beginning). I don´t see any major implications resulting from whatever conclusion it is you might be going to reach.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
That it is not a philosophical question but a medical one.
Agreed. It can't be answered with philosophy.
The experts seem to agree that it is a mental issue but not a mental disorder unless it is causing undue distress.
Seconded. If it doesn't cause harm or meet other criteria, then it's not disordered.

Reactions: katerinah1947
Upvote 0

AHH who-stole-my-name

in accordance with Christ
Jul 29, 2011
✟27,817.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Who the heck made that video? The guy is definately not good at public speaking and i really don't think he has the credentials to be discussing this issue.

I think shrinks have used the difficulty of the average citizen to comprehend mindsets of those who don't quite fit in to create new mental maledies in order for them to get paid to treat them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

That sounds more like a personality disorder. After 20 years, I would definitely look for
physiological influence for the problem. Then if nothing can be found, try therapy in France.

Upvote 0