Apr 17, 2006
Georgia
Visit site
✟15,128.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello. I really need your prayers and opinions about a pressing matter that I have been struggling with. I have been dating the GREATEST christian guy for a year and a half, and we have recently decided that we want to transfer to the University of Georgia because the college we go to now is soo boring. As we wait for our acceptance letters, I am faced with the scenario that theres a good chance that only one of us will get in.

Pros of transfering: I already have an apartment up there, they have an incredible program for christian students, its a better quality education.

Cons of transfering: While the college is boring, I do love it here, and it is close to my family. I make great grades here.

Also there's another factor... my Boyfriend's last relationship was strictly long distance, so he is strongly against going through that again. He is seriously the most amazing, most compatible, (and not to mention most beautiful) and respectful person i have ever met. He is my very best friend, and i REALLy do not want to lose him. I can't imagine a better partner for life. But how do you balance that factor with the whole "don't base your college decision on a boyfriend?"

I know this is long. But i am so heart broken about this, and we are expecting our decision letters any time now. Any advice or prayers would be appreciated beyond words. Thank you.

Forealzchola

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
California
✟23,254.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
To me, it would be different if you guys were engaged or at least courting, but since you say he is just your boyfriend....you have to weigh your own options out as yourself, by your self and as individual...you cant guarentte that this relationship is gonna make or continue...and thats just a fact of life...and for you to base a decision on this relationship is not wise...and who brought up the idea of transfering? was it him...and then youre like welll yea that is true ill go to....because obviously you have lists of the cons of leaving...so there is pros there at the college you are at now...do what is best for you!! your boyfriend is the one who is trying to get control of this situation...and if you realize it or not he has already given you an ultiamadem (not spelled right) hes saying essentially if you dont go here with me then im not going to stay with you..and on one end he has the right to do that but on the other it is selfish...you weigh your options out pray for you the will God has for you....not the will he has for you as a couple ...because you arent married...or even engaged like i said....you have been going out for a year and a half...has he not talked about marriage...or? wbs. God bless

Upvote 0

Berniquen

Apr 7, 2007
Gresham, Oregon
✟15,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think it is a mistake to consider him at this point in your relationship. If you were engaged, or seriously about to be engaged, then yes, you need to consider the other.

but you aren't. So you have to make the best choices for you and your future spouse which might not be this guy.

Do you throw away an awesome opportunity so you can be close to this guy? Do you want him to throw away the same opportunity if he gets in and you don't?

Upvote 0

LivinIt

Aug 12, 2005
Minnesota
✟7,818.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What everyone else has said thus far is pretty much right on, well, I can exactly confirm Avtoritet's claim (though I'd probably disagree because I am engaged).

I can understand your boyfriend's qualms about another long distance relationship, but if he isn't willing to even give it another chance with you, then he may not be as into your relationship as you are. Some relational decisions shouldn't be made based on past experiences, and whether a long distance relationship is right for you or not is one of them. What didn't work with one person may just work out fine with another.

You should not give up something that you really want and feel would be edifying for your future just because of a guy. If it's God's will for you to attend that school together, then you will both be accepted. If not, then you will have to trust God and be sure to listen to your heart, not your emotions, when you make the decision about where you will go to school. vbmenu_register("postmenu_34002786", true);

Upvote 0

Boss_BlueAngels

Life is better when you're flying upside down.
Jul 19, 2005
Seattle
Visit site
✟14,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Without hesitation, the school. If it's meant to be, nothing will get in your way, even a few extra miles.

For the first 2.5 years of my relationship with my girlfriend we never were more than a 10 minute WALK from each other and spent every single day together at school. Only being appart for a few hours on the weekends we went home. And then for the last year and a half we had a very drastic change, with me living a mountain range appart. It's had its challenges but certainly hasn't made any impact on our relationship at all. We may not talk as often, but the quality of our talks, and the times we are actually together are absolutly incredible.

So, it can, and has been done. You can have your boyrfriend and a great education too. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums