USA
✟284,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yep, that is what WoF is basically. Name it and claim it because God said it, he is now obligated to do it. This is good and fine when it's used in context but it's very rare that you will find this concept in context of what is actually written. It's a very dangerous form of manipulation. And it also is not very spiritually healthy for those practicing it.
What it boils down to is if you get sick and don't get physically healed, one of two things have happened - you don't believe enough or you are not "saved." If you are desiring a new computer, and you don't mysteriously get it or the funds to purchase it, you don't believe enough or you're not saved. I was deeply emmeshed in WoF for about 10 years and can't imagine today how I got sucked into such a thing!!
I've been in pentecostal churches that were WOF and have some WOFfriends. Most of mine lean on the conservative side. But I watched a lady die with people telling her that it was because she didn't have enough faith. I don't think all people do that and I don't think it's just WOF folks that do that either. But it gets my dander up like few other things.

Good to see you my friend and as always, thanks for your input.

Shalom

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I do not know Pastor Hagin but have heard a lot of good about him.
If you've ever heard of Rhema Bible college, you'll be able to find alot of good information on the man there since he was largely apart of its foundation. For more, one can go here and here. Had alot of family/friends that either went to Rhema or had family attending there (alongside other schools connected to it such as Oral Roberts University)--and in many ways, the material they use by Hagin is radically different from the ways many people claiming to be apart of the Faith movement utilized it....and Hagin at one point had to call out many of those people in his work entitled "The Midas Touch" when it came to people taking concepts that others were blessed by in the Faith movement....and turning them into abusive practices (i.e. the concept of reaping and sowing being used to say one can say whatever they desire/get it simply by asking--even if it goes against God's heatrt, the concept of saying all forms of giving MUST result in getting financial blessing back, giving under pressure as often occurs on telethons asking for money on Christian broadcasting networks when others say "God will curse you if you're hearing this and don't give", etc). He also addressed the ways that tithing was being abused by many within the Faith movement and tried to show a Balanced perspective 4 years before he died.

For more, one can go here and here.

If you'd like some other good sources of information, you can always ask the people on the Word of Faith forum since there are alot of informed members there, be it people such as ABlessedMan or VictoryWord (Troy) or dbkwarrior and many others (alot of whom I've been blessed to have as friends for many years now :) ).
What do you think about the slang slogan for Word of Faith that some use who vigorously disagree with the "calling things that be not as though they are" --- that phrase would be "name it, claim it." I have a good friend who is an AG Pastor who told me about that slogan the first time. Is that accurate?

Truthfully, after having to do alot of battles with others who asssumed all in the Faith Movement were about speaking things out of nowhere like magic, I think the term can be a bit of a buzzword. Alot of times, it is used as a pejorative...and the term people in the movement tend to use is Positive Confession. Positive Confession is the The Theology of the Spoken Word (Rhematology), or thought actualization. It stresses the inherent power of words and thoughts. Each person predestines his own future by what he says verbally and by how well he uses spiritual laws. Whereas some in the WOF movement did sadly treat the concept of speaking things as though they were like it was an incantation, much of what was utilized in other camps was simply based on speaking in accordance with what the Lord expects/sees even when it seems that reality says different...in light of Hebrews 11:1-6 where the writer spoke on the reality of faith and how the Lord spoke the entire universe into being...and in light of Romans 4 where Abraham was noted to believe and the Lord spoke in regards to Abraham having a child even when it seemed ridiculous to expect that:
Romans 4:17
13 It was not through the law that Abraham and his offspring received the promise that he would be heir of the world, but through the righteousness that comes by faith. 14 For if those who depend on the law are heirs, faith means nothing and the promise is worthless, 15 because the law brings wrath. And where there is no law there is no transgression.

16 Therefore, the promise comes by faith, so that it may be by grace and may be guaranteed to all Abraham’s offspring—not only to those who are of the law but also to those who have the faith of Abraham. He is the father of us all. 17 As it is written: “I have made you a father of many nations.”[ He is our father in the sight of God, in whom he believed—the God who gives life to the dead and calls into being things that were not
Others saw it in the sense that people need to be careful of what one says since our words have a tendency to transform others/ourselves, according to Proverbs 18:21 on how death and life are in the power of the tongue....and generally, if one continually speaks in negative manners, they may end up having exactly what they'll say (i.e constantly saying one's a failure and then wondering why one always messes up...or constantly telling others they're worthless and then having people not value themselves). Most of it is also based on James 3 which speaks on the tongue being like a fire set aflame by Hell itself and having potential to do great destruction.

Of course I disagree with the mentality that ALL ONE'S CIRCUMSTANCES are based on what we say. People living impoverished in the projects/ghetto didn't make it there soley because they said something, as some were born into------and others are given that lot in life (in light of the Bibles teachings on the POOR/RICH and the Lord being sovereign over all). However, in that statement, considering the general reality of positive thinking and how what we say often affects our reality, I have no problem. And no, I'm not saying that means someone who's poor is suddenly going to come out of poverty by declaring it. Hard Work, Examining Habits/Mentalities, Cooperation/Support from others, patience (in light of the complexities of aiding those who're on the streets & impoverished), and various other factores are involved. But what one says does make a difference. Personally, one of the best places people can start is with Pau :)l:
And now I exhort you to be of good cheer: for there shall be no loss of any man's life among you, but of the ship. For there stood by me this night the angel of God, whose I am, and whom I serve, Saying, Fear not, Paul; thou must be brought before Caesar: and, lo, God hath given thee all them that sail with thee. Wherefore, sirs, be of good cheer: for I believe God, that it shall be even as it was told me (Acts 27:22-25).
Now if that is not a positive confession of God's promise, I'm not certain what is...and for that matter, 2 Corinthians 4:13 when Paul quoted Psalm 116:10 (see Septuagint) in saying "I believed, therefore I spoke" and mentioned what it meant to speak in a spirit of Faith. When the psalmist uttered the words, he was greatly afflicted (see Psalm 116:3, Psalm 116:6-8 )--and in these circumstances, he prayed to God, and expressed confidence in him. And having spoken in this manner was the result of his belief, or of his putting confidence in God. That significantly made a difference in his situation...just as proclaiming confidence in the Lord with our words makes a significant difference when it comes to going through difficult times:
Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised) (Heb. 10:23)
In regards to what you noted on your friend who is an AOG Pastor, one of my dear brothers in Christ once noted to me how since AoG pioneers have taught on "positive confession" ....and at first, I didn't really believe it till I saw the documentation for myself. In example, one can consider Mrs. Cornelius Nuzum:
Never say, “I have pain, disease, doubt, or other evil.” Say, “I will not have it. I will not let Satan put it on me. I refuse to accept it or recognize it or own it.” Continue to say, “I am delivered, no matter how I feel or look.” Praise hastens victory. Believe the thing is done, praise and rejoice, not because it is going to be done, but because it is done, even though you cannot see it or feel it. - The Life of Faith (Springfield, MO: Gospel Publishing House, 1997), p. 64. First published in 1928
Her book came from an AoG publishing house and she was a missionary ordained by the AoG. There are similar quotes by P. C. Nelson, Lillian B. Yeomans, and others - all AoG pioneers. Other AoG have noted that others present day AoG may have rejected their heritage, but not everyone within the AoG is of the same mindset.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Originally Posted by sacerdote
What do you think about the slang slogan for Word of Faith that some use who vigorously disagree with the "calling things that be not as though they are" --- that phrase would be "name it, claim it." I have a good friend who is an AG Pastor who told me about that slogan the first time. Is that accurate?

Most people I've seen growing up tend to remember the concept of calling things that be not as though they were" in light of a myriad of scriptures on the dangers of our words. As the Word says in James 3, James 3, our tongues have a more powerful effect on ourselves and others than we are willing to give it credit for. It has the power to control our lives. It is true that a person can talk faith but as the old saying goes, "actions speak louder than words." James 2 speaks on the issue of faith having "works" actions) to back it and Heb. 11 (the faith chapter) tells us that the patriarchs are known for their obedience in line with what claimed/believed.

Nevertheless, our words are a good indicator of our love or rebellious attitude and God is not please with wrong words:
How long shall I bear with this evil congregation, which murmur against me? I have heard the murmurings of the children of Israel, which they murmur against me. Say unto them, As truly as I live, saith the LORD, as ye have spoken in mine ears, so will I do to you: (Num. 14:27-28)

It is truly key to remember, IMHO, that words and acts are important. Not on the legalistic basis that every time I say, "Well I'll be a monkey's uncle" that all of a sudden I'll turn into an ape, but in the sense that we will always want to please the Lord through our speech and our actions. Growing up with friends/family in WOF, we saw people who would say you were somehow in sin for saying you felt sick instead of only saying "I'm HEALED!!!!" (as if that somehow made someone well instantenously :doh::doh1:)...but thankfully, I was blessed to see the healthy versions practiced as well. The pastor of the church I grew up in spoke often on the subject, as seen here and here. In example, if a person was sick, it was noted how they were not lying in saying they are sick...and the pastor of the church I grew up in never recommended anyone do that in the name of "confession." What was taught was for people to meditate on God's healing promises and trust Him to keep His Word. The person who was sick, for example, would be encouraged to say "I am sick but God is my healer. I trust Him to take this sickness from my midst (Ex. 15:26; 23:25)"---and they'd seek to see things from the perspective of God's Word. No different than the old song "Whose Report Do You Believe?" from the 90s mom and I grew up with/loved :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Originally Posted by sacerdote

If interested.....

For a good explanation on the subject, one can consider Myles Munroe who is one of the most balanced WOF teachers around, working with many in a myriad of camps and helping others see themselves as the Lord sees them. Also, one of the men I noted earlier (VictoryWord) had alot of good thoughts to share on the issue in the WOF Forum, as seen here in the thread entitled WOF the same as Charismatic just radical, in regards to many of the people involved in the early AOG Camp and how many things noted were directly in line with what WOF was focused on. He actually had some excellent articles addressing what AoG on their stance, as seen here in Response to the AoG position paper, "The Believer and Positive Confession. Brother Probison, who is another wonderful member of the Faith Movement, also shared many insightful things on what the focus of Positive Confession was meant to be (as seen here ).

Also, for others (including on what some camps within the AOG have noted), one may consider the following:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The Noachide laws when they were given were given to all people, and then the children of Israel/Jews were given the Mosaic laws at Mt. Sinai. The Jewish people promised to do all that God commanded at Mt. Sinai for all generations, so all Jewish people are obligated to the Mosaic law. Gentiles are obligated to the Noachide laws. So a righteous Gentile would be a Gentile who observes the Noachide laws. Gentiles are righteous apart from keeping the Mosaic law. .
Many things with the Noachide Laws reflected in Acts 15, as it concerns what the Gentiles were given as expectations....but if Gentiles wanted to go further, there is nothing against them wishing to do so. For that is within the freedom believers are able to do...just like Ruth wanted to be apart of the Jewish people/convert.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Rabbinic Jews do believe that the Law was given to the Jewish people and not the Gentiles.
There are some who do admire the heart of Gentiles trying to keep what they understand the Law to be (even if it may be incorrect) when it comes to the focus of tithing...but I know many get really bothered by it. Seeing how the Law did seem to note that anyone living in the land (including Gentiles) had to tithe, it would be interesting to see if people would get upset if/when Gentiles moved to Israel (should the temple be rebuilt and the priesthood found) and wish to tithe as they did in the OT again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Qnts2

Jan 31, 2012
✟2,056.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Easy G (G²);60539628 said:
There are some who do admire the heart of Gentiles trying to keep what they understand the Law to be (even if it may be incorrect) when it comes to the focus of tithing...but I know many get really bothered by it. Seeing how the Law did seem to note that anyone living in the land (including Gentiles) had to tithe, it would be interesting to see if people would get upset if/when Gentiles moved to Israel (should the temple be rebuilt and the priesthood found) and wish to tithe as they did in the OT again.

Assuming the Temple and the priesthood, and the Gentile living in Israel, I would assume none would object to the general tithe. But, I do believe there would be an objection to a Gentile paying the Pidyon HaBen, which is the redemption of the first born if they are male. This would be considered strictly for the children of Israel. As would potentially certain other payments.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Assuming the Temple and the priesthood, and the Gentile living in Israel, I would assume none would object to the general tithe..
You mean the tithe given for the poor/destitute?
But, I do believe there would be an objection to a Gentile paying the Pidyon HaBen, which is the redemption of the first born if they are male. This would be considered strictly for the children of Israel. As would potentially certain other payments
In regards to what you're noting, why do you say such? Which specific scripture were you speaking in reference to?

Upvote 0

Qnts2

Jan 31, 2012
✟2,056.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Easy G (G²);60541184 said:
You mean the tithe given for the poor/destitute?
In regards to what you're noting, why do you say such? Which specific scripture were you speaking in reference to?

Exodus 13:1 Then the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, 2 “Sanctify to Me every firstborn, the first offspring of every womb among the sons of Israel, both of man and beast; it belongs to Me.”

Exodus 13:12 you shall devote to the Lord the first offspring of every womb, and the first offspring of every beast that you own; the males belong to the Lord. 13 But every first offspring of a donkey you shall redeem with a lamb, but if you do not redeem it, then you shall break its neck; and every firstborn of man among your sons you shall redeem. 14 And it shall be when your son asks you in time to come, saying, ‘What is this?’ then you shall say to him, ‘With a powerful hand the Lord brought us out of Egypt, from the house of slavery. 15 It came about, when Pharaoh was stubborn about letting us go, that the Lord killed every firstborn in the land of Egypt, both the firstborn of man and the firstborn of beast. Therefore, I sacrifice to the Lord the males, the first offspring of every womb, but every firstborn of my sons I redeem.

Numbers 3:
40 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Number every firstborn male of the sons of Israel from a month old and upward, and make a list of their names. 41 You shall take the Levites for Me, I am the Lord, instead of all the firstborn among the sons of Israel, and the cattle of the Levites instead of all the firstborn among the cattle of the sons of Israel.” 42 So Moses numbered all the firstborn among the sons of Israel, just as the Lord had commanded him; 43 and all the firstborn males by the number of names from a month old and upward, for their numbered men were 22,273.
44 Then the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, 45 “Take the Levites instead of all the firstborn among the sons of Israel and the cattle of the Levites. And the Levites shall be Mine; I am the Lord. 46 For the ransom of the 273 of the firstborn of the sons of Israel who are in excess beyond the Levites, 47 you shall take five shekels apiece, per head; you shall take them in terms of the shekel of the sanctuary (the shekel is twenty gerahs), 48 and give the money, the ransom of those who are in excess among them, to Aaron and to his sons.” 49 So Moses took the ransom money from those who were in excess, beyond those ransomed by the Levites; 50 from the firstborn of the sons of Israel he took the money in terms of the shekel of the sanctuary, 1,365. 51 Then Moses gave the ransom money to Aaron and to his sons, at the command of the Lord, just as the Lord had commanded Moses.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
✟16,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Rabbinic Jews do believe that the Law was given to the Jewish people and not the Gentiles.

The Noachide laws when they were given were given to all people, and then the children of Israel/Jews were given the Mosaic laws at Mt. Sinai. The Jewish people promised to do all that God commanded at Mt. Sinai for all generations, so all Jewish people are obligated to the Mosaic law. Gentiles are obligated to the Noachide laws. So a righteous Gentile would be a Gentile who observes the Noachide laws. Gentiles are righteous apart from keeping the Mosaic law.

Rabbinic Judaism does not seek converts.
yes... that jogs my memory to something tree of life taught... love the info you share... it really helps to clarify things for me...

SO IS THIS CORRECT?...
according to RABBINIC JEWS...
1. there is only ONE TRUE G_D... for both JEWS and gentiles...
2. but different and separate covenants for JEWS and gentiles?.... so....
3. RABBINIC JEWS wonder why gentiles try to live the MOSAIC covenant.... when they have already been given a specific covenant - the NOACHIDE covenant...

and then in furtherance... paul... james the elder.... and the JERUSALEM council.... said that they asked nothing of the gentile believers.... other than to abstain food sacrificed to idols.... and remember the poor....

so then that confirms that the MOSAIC covenant was never meant by G_D for the gentiles.... IS THIS CORRECT?....

shalom shalom....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Mar 2, 2012
✟16,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Assuming the Temple and the priesthood, and the Gentile living in Israel, I would assume none would object to the general tithe. But, I do believe there would be an objection to a Gentile paying the Pidyon HaBen, which is the redemption of the first born if they are male. This would be considered strictly for the children of Israel. As would potentially certain other payments.
are you meaning that.... if a gentile brought the 3 tithes to the temple/priest in JERUSALEM.... that it MIGHT possibly be respected by devout JEWS in ancient times?.... and / or in present times?.... as being from a true love for G_D....

but redeeming the first born males of the gentiles would seem highly improper?.... highly controversial?.... extremely out of order?.... etc?....

why?.... because ONLY JEWISH first born males.... under the MOSAIC covenant.... were holy unto the L_RD.... and givng HIM something HE did not specifically ask for.... seems inappropriate?.... keeping the LAW perfectly was/is extremely important to devout JEWS?.... changing G_D's WORD in any way is not seen as honorable?....

thank you so much for being so direct with your answers.... this is excellent.... it is really helping me to understand so many things that were confusing me.... about the TANAKH.... about the reticence of JEWS.... to compromise the TORAH in anyway....

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Temptinfates

Mar 5, 2010
Cartersville, Georgia
✟15,738.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Malachi. What is this book about? Who is it directed to??
This book (4 small chapters) is not about money at all. It is an exhortation to the "Pastors"/leadership/priests. Why? What were they doing? or rather, not doing?
Why do people quote 3:10 and never teach what the book is about before quoting/picking a verse on tithing?
What is Adonai's inheritance? That's right, his people. He wants his inheritance--or what is or should be his. The priests by NOT doing their job are robbing him of his inheritance. Under that system, righteous sacrifices were accepted by Adonai and his people were in good standing with him. When the priests refused to demand righteous sacrifices, they were making them of no use and robbing Adonai of his people/children.
This is not a book to the common man about tithing and robbing Adonai of your coins. It is about the priests and to the priests and that they by their slackness were robbing Adonai. He was telling the PRIESTS to give to his storehouse. People had no advocate to be in right-standing because the priests themselves were corrupt.
Why is it that people can quote malachi 3:10 and don't understand the context of the book. Preachers use this to put fear into people that if they don't give, Adonai will curse them..Jeez...obviously people were bringing tithes --it's just that they were corrupted. In other words, Adonai is saying to the priests that if they do their duties, they would be blessed as it blesses Adonai to have his children in right-standing.
Anyone ever heard a preacher teach Malachi?? or do they just quote a few verses?

Tithing. You give a tithe to show Adonai that you are reliant on him. It is not to build Gigantic buildings. You can tithe to a friend, someone in need, or a family member. Just pray with them and tell Adonai that you are tithing it to them. But, you have to have no strings attached at all...you can't bring it up to them, ever. Nor can you hold it over them. Ever. Adonai will honor this as a tithe. So, best done in secret--without anyone not involved knowing about it. And don't tell anyone else you tithed it to them.
Temptinfates

Hmmf. I wonder how many people want to go read Malachi now..it's just 4 little chapters...then 400 years later, Yeshua says he has come to the lost house of Israel...co incky dink?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
God is thankfully able to bless those who are set on blessing him..and I'm thankful for His faithfulness even when people may not always have all the facts on an issue.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mercy1061

Nov 26, 2011
✟18,724.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
To EasyG:

I really enjoyed your "long" dissertation on tithing, it was quite enlightening. If I may add a few things, I will seek a much shorter answer approach.

I believe that tithe must first come from the "holy" land that was given to ancient Israel like you already said. Tithing was only required while they lived in the promise land. I am not in any way suggesting that tithing is not required today; Israel became a sovreign nation in 1948.

We know that money is unacceptable and considered "common" to be used in tithing anology. In other words, if I give 12 brothers a whole pizza, cut into 12 slices, yet only 11 brothers take for themsleves a slice of pizza. There is only one slice of pizza left unclaimed. The last brother Levi because of his generousity decides to give his slice to his 11 brothers, so each brother would have more. The 11 brothers would then cut that slice into 11 additional pieces to eat; while Levi is left hungry if his brothers do not share.

What many today seem not to understand about tithing is simple, the 11 brothers are just giving back what rightfully belong to their brother. If each brother return the "extra" portion they received back to Levi, then they would not be giving anything from what belongs to them. "Tithing" means to return to your brother what rightfully belongs to him, Levi is poor because he gave all he had to his brothers, hoping that his brothers would give back to him. So in theory and practice, not tithing would be "robbing" the L-RD since the priests belong to the L-RD.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
To EasyG:

I really enjoyed your "long" dissertation on tithing, it was quite enlightening. If I may add a few things, I will seek a much shorter answer approach.

I believe that tithe must first come from the "holy" land that was given to ancient Israel like you already said. Tithing was only required while they lived in the promise land. I am not in any way suggesting that tithing is not required today; Israel became a sovreign nation in 1948.

We know that money is unacceptable and considered "common" to be used in tithing anology. In other words, if I give 12 brothers a whole pizza, cut into 12 slices, yet only 11 brothers take for themsleves a slice of pizza. There is only one slice of pizza left unclaimed. The last brother Levi because of his generousity decides to give his slice to his 11 brothers, so each brother would have more. The 11 brothers would then cut that slice into 11 additional pieces to eat; while Levi is left hungry if his brothers do not share.

What many today seem not to understand about tithing is simple, the 11 brothers are just giving back what rightfully belong to their brother. If each brother return the "extra" portion they received back to Levi, then they would not be giving anything from what belongs to them. "Tithing" means to return to your brother what rightfully belongs to him, Levi is poor because he gave all he had to his brothers, hoping that his brothers would give back to him. So in theory and practice, not tithing would be "robbing" the L-RD since the priests belong to the L-RD.

Thanks for sharing as you did:)

Upvote 0