✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Avaya said:
I can't think of the specific verse, but the bible does say that NARROW is the path to Him and wide is the road to destruction. IMO, open minded = tolerant = wide path - which does not = the narrow path God would have us to trod.

When Babylon took over God's people, they did an amazing thing. They let God's people build houses, have churches, marry and be given in marriage, to the point that you couldn't tell God's people from the Babylon people. It took a Godly person to stand up and say 'Wait! Come out of there! Don't be so open-minded that you become a part of the world that is an enemy towards God, it's not your home, don't get comfortable here.'

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Avaya said:
I can't think of the specific verse, but the bible does say that NARROW is the path to Him and wide is the road to destruction. IMO, open minded = tolerant = wide path - which does not = the narrow path God would have us to trod.

This is incredibly dangerous and bad analysis.

Read the parable of the Good Samaritan. Tolerance is the narrow path that few can walk. In the flesh, we are tribal little animals trying to protect our food supply from anything different from ourselves. In the Spirit, we are neighbor to everybody.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Avaya said:
Exactly. Men are visually stimulated and my opinion is that people should not dabble with temptation. What good can come from it?

When you say that "men are visually stimulated" you are generalizing. Some certainly are but not all.

Some women are also "visually stimualted," but we aren't having a conversation on whether men should be allowed to go topless in public.

BTW, has anyone other than me noticed that threads on this topic seem to attract a graet deal of attention?

Upvote 0
E

EmSchmem

seebs said:
My spouse thinks I have hot legs. Should I not be allowed to wear shorts?

The Victorians tried this. It turns out that the boundary of whatever you allow seems erotic. Ankles were erotic to the Victorians.
OMGoodness! This made me laugh SO hard. I was SO stumbled by my husbands legs when we were dating and engaged that we made a rule that he wasn't allowed to wear shorts unless it was 70 degrees or more (he'd wear shorts all year otherwise). I saw legs, I thought sex!

Upvote 0

SirKenin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2003
from the deepest inner mind to the outer limits
✟9,370.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Truly I couldn't live if my life had to be so pathetic that I would lock myself in the house for fear of seeing an exposed portion of a woman's body. That's so sad.

Then twisting the passage of a narrow road to try and justify this? And people wonder why I want nothing to do with organized religion? Christians are one thing, and that's why I am here, but this is just plain pathetic. :doh:

Upvote 0

SirKenin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2003
✟9,370.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
EmSchmem said:
OMGoodness! This made me laugh SO hard. I was SO stumbled by my husbands legs when we were dating and engaged that we made a rule that he wasn't allowed to wear shorts unless it was 70 degrees or more (he'd wear shorts all year otherwise). I saw legs, I thought sex!

Controlling your husband because of your weakness? That's equally lame. Sorry, but it is. It seems to me the onus is on you to fix that problem, as opposed to him to cater to it. It's not fair to pawn your problems off on someone else.

Upvote 0
E

EmSchmem

It was before he was my husband and I made the same concession with the overalls. And dude it's a really jerk move to refer to someone's "weakness" as lame. You don't see me calling you a lame punk who just likes to stir up trouble do you.This is something we decided to do to make things a little easier on the other person in the last few months before we had free reign over one another's body? How is a loving gesture lame?

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Okay, I'm gonna have to side with Em on this one. We are to accommodate the weaker brother. If something causes someone to stumble, then we shouldn't do it. I think Em was well within her rights to tell her future-husband that the shorts were a problem.

I have a female friend who has a pair of very-short-shorts. I have asked her never to wear them again. She's agreed. (How short? Short enough that, I think, you could probably have sex without actually taking them off. I believe the Geneva Convention prohibits women from wearing pants this short in view of any heterosexual male.)

Upvote 0
E

EmSchmem

seebs said:
Okay, I'm gonna have to side with Em on this one. We are to accommodate the weaker brother. If something causes someone to stumble, then we shouldn't do it. I think Em was well within her rights to tell her future-husband that the shorts were a problem.

I have a female friend who has a pair of very-short-shorts. I have asked her never to wear them again. She's agreed. (How short? Short enough that, I think, you could probably have sex without actually taking them off. I believe the Geneva Convention prohibits women from wearing pants this short in view of any heterosexual male.)
More laughing on my part. I keep making jokes that I need a really skimpy bikini, short shorts, and belly shirts this summer. Of course I will be 7,8, and 9 months pregnant in June July and August. I wonder what the Geneva Convention has to say about THAT!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
seebs said:
The Victorians tried this. It turns out that the boundary of whatever you allow seems erotic. Ankles were erotic to the Victorians.

That's why the Victorians went so far as to cover table and chair legs.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I have come into this thread only recently. But, after reading some of the earlier posts I became concerned at some of the views being expressed.

How come Christians can be so disdainful about other people's bodies? Do we imagine that the Holy Spirit is uncomfortable having to live within some people's bodies because of what they look like? Can we call unclean what God has declared clean?

It seems to me that there are those who who are not comfortable with any public nudity. OK. But aren't Christians just as caught up in the body image thing as much as anyone else? Is that an expression of righteousness?

Each person's body is a wonderful work of God created complexity. It is part of that peson's very being. How dare we make negative comments about any person because they do not conform to our social stereotypes of the physical ideal. It may well be that a less than Olympian proportioned person going partially of completely nude is far healthier in their self acceptance than their leaner, firmer fully clothed critics, another example of the mote and the plank.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

SirKenin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2003
✟9,370.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Johnnz said:
I have come into this thread only recently. But, after reading some of the earlier posts I became concerned at some of the views being expressed.

How come Christians can be so disdainful about other people's bodies? Do we imagine that the Holy Spirit is uncomfortable having to live within some people's bodies because of what they look like? Can we call unclean what God has declared clean?

It seems to me that there are those who who are not comfortable with any public nudity. OK. But aren't Christians just as caught up in the body image thing as much as anyone else? Is that an expression of righteousness?

Each person's body is a wonderful work of God created complexity. It is part of that peson's very being. How dare we make negative comments about any person because they do not conform to our social stereotypes of the physical ideal. It may well be that a less than Olympian proportioned person going partially of completely nude is far healthier in their self acceptance than their leaner, firmer fully clothed critics, another example of the mote and the plank.

John
NZ

AMEN! And I leave it at that. :amen:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Johnnz said:

Well let's see which ones:

Someone has called someone elses body unclean?

Irrelevant Conclusion. Someone may or may not be comfortable with public nudity and have nothing wrong with their perception of their body image.

John
NZ

Agreed. But my issue is with the amount of men who have problems with nudity, and the effect is has on them. If you don't see that, a quick glance into the inappropriate content industy will cure it. Do you know there are about 25 million hits to inappropriate content sites each week in America?

Upvote 0

lin1235

Jana's mommy!
Mar 29, 2005
Cape Town, South Africa
✟4,295.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
After the fall in Eden, Adam and Eve became aware of their nakedness, and clothed themselves. Our bodies were made perfect by God - sin corrupted the beauty thereof. If there were no sin in the world, we could admire and appreciate each other's bodies without lusting after it, but there is sin, and so nudity is an issue that it was not intended to be in a sinless world.

Reactions: kimberli33
Upvote 0

SirKenin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2003
✟9,370.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
lin1235 said:
After the fall in Eden, Adam and Eve became aware of their nakedness, and clothed themselves. Our bodies were made perfect by God - sin corrupted the beauty thereof. If there were no sin in the world, we could admire and appreciate each other's bodies without lusting after it, but there is sin, and so nudity is an issue that it was not intended to be in a sinless world.

And seeing as how I'm perfect I should have no problems hanging out on a nudist beach. :p

Upvote 0

babbred

Apr 7, 2005
England
✟15,423.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
lin1235 said:

Thank you, I was going to quote that story. Now for some other points.

I am married to a European. I live in Europe. Europe is a VERY sexualized society, so don't give me the "it's ok for them to go naked because it's not sexual for them" crud. Ask my dh and he'll tell you that European men love staring at naked women just as much as Americans. The reason they don't have a problem with it is, as somebody else pointed out, because they don't have God. Because Christianity is practically nil here, there is no Christian influence to point out biblical standards.

Song of Solomon was written as a love poem from a husband to his wife. It was not intended to define norms for society.

I have been a Christian most of my life so I consider myself pretty mature. I have traveled on three continents, including many countries in Europe. I am happily married so I "get it" more than every few years. If wanting to uphold standards of decency and protect my European husband from temptation makes me a prude and uptight, then I will proudly wear both of those labels.

The Victorians had naked beaches, segregated by gender--and both genders enjoyed staring at the other. The idea that they covered pianos with cloths to hide the legs is a myth. The Victorians were a higly sexualized society, but they simply didn't flaunt it as much as we do.

Read any book about the differences between men and women, and it will say that most men are visually stimulated, much more so than women. That's why men stare at pretty women in the street, and why their wives/girlfriends get upset. I am going to help my husband by not putting him in the path of temptation

BTW, he's been a Christian for 20 years. In fact, he's a minister. He has also traveled extensivley throughout Europe. And since he's married to me, he "gets it" more than every few years.

We have not gone to such a beach. We will not go to one.

Upvote 0